Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I don't really see the issue either. Some people avoid gluten who probably don't have to - who cares?

You have a group of friends. One has a pink hat. They wear the hat everywhere you go together. They make sure to remind you all that they're wearing the pink hat. Every time you go to dinner, they make sure to ask the waiter if they noticed their pink hat. They nix restaurant options because (in case you forgot) they have to be able to wear their pink hat. They make sure everything the friend group does caters to the pink hat, and they act like an rear end in a top hat when people don't.

They talk about their pink hat all the time. They have no personality - no reason for anyone to pay attention to them - instead they have their pink hat.

That person is annoying.

You have another friend who also has a pink hat, but not because they need a crutch where their personality used to be, but because the doctor told them to have it. They only put it on when they need to. They don't draw attention to it when they feel like no one's paying attention to them.

That person is not annoying.

The problem is that when Friend #1 dominates the public space with their annoying behavior, it makes people less tolerant and understanding of Friend #2. It also incentivizes more dumb people to act like Friend #1, which exacerbates the negative stigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I am 100% okay with any friend making any request of any restaurant. (Vetoing is a different story but yeah.) This does not bother me and in fact anyone should feel willing to order whatever it is they want. I think your characterization is pretty unfair - not everyone who tries odd dietary changes instantly makes that their only personality. Have you actually met this irritating straw person you describe? I have not, though I've met vegans who are like that because they believe there is a moral high ground - I've never seen someone denounce gluten as evil.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

girl pants posted:

I [25 F] am growing tired of my[28 M] boyfriend of 4.5 years' picky eating.

Update! I [25 F] am growing tired of my [28 M] boyfriend of 4.5 years' picky eating.
What the gently caress

I am 100% okay with any friend making any request of any restaurant. (Vetoing is a different story but yeah.) This does not bother me and in fact anyone should feel willing to order whatever it is they want.
Yeah, pretty much this. Oh no, the pink hat guy is talking to a waiter, what an rear end in a top hat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I see it mostly in dudes, and I think it might be some association that being vegetarian is feminine, eating tons of red meat is manly. If you don't eat enough meat you'll turn into a beta soy boy! If their friends or partner don't eat meat then maybe that means they'll have to eat less meat them selves, or have to cook separate meals? I think some people also assume that if someone is changing their diet for ethical reasons than that person obviously must be judging them and thinking they're better, and that's something insecure people can get enraged over.

So other people being vegetarian means they're trying to emasculate society and think they're better than meat eaters, and if you're an insecure little dude incapable of self reflection this will just get channeled into anger.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
just lol if you're not pretending to have cancer so that people make you fresh juices and pity you

edit: i also pretend to need kidney dialysis for the time off work

edit2: the real life pro tip is that if you want people to do things for you but they wouldn't normally do those things, you can use lies!

navier-stoked fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 22, 2018

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

ReadingZucchini posted:

just lol if you're not pretending to have cancer so that people make you fresh juices and pity you

edit2: the real life pro tip is that if you want people to do things for you but they wouldn't normally do those things, you can use lies!

lifehack: lie about having cancer, people will bring you juice and you can smoke a lot of :420: the downside is that if you really want to commit you have to remove your own toenails

My LDR four month girlfriend [21] has told me [22] she is short on money to buy tea to detox herself for her upcoming job interview. Should I send her money?

quote:

submitted 1 year ago * by qsmith2000

We live 200 miles away and she has a drug test coming up for a good job, I've never given her money. Should I help her out with this? A little insight in the relationship is that she's never asked me for money, we at least see each other two periods of time during the month and when we started dating we where in the same town.

Her family is doing worse then her so they are not an option for her to get help from.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I'd like to note that the reason she smoked is because I offered it to her, she rarely ever smokes. This detox tea does work, I've personally tested it and I'm who recommended to her.

tl;dr LDR GF needs money to pass drug test for upcoming job. I've never sent her money before.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yeah ok i'll keep my only slightly picky and extremely-not-abusive husband at this point

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ReadingZucchini posted:

I don't see why you have to lie to get gluten free stuff. "May I have this without gluten" is a fine restaurant request and doesn't imply you have celiac at all. You are in fact allowed to ask for anything you want at the restaurant and, generally, they'll say yes because they want to cook food that you like. I also thinking blowing off work and still getting paid by saying you have to get dialysis is good, as the employer-employee relationship is fundamentally adversarial and it's you should be fighting for every scrap of leeway, as they will. You have a strange view of "the rules" which don't exist and you're hurting yourself with your well-meaning ethical rules here.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I am 100% okay with any friend making any request of any restaurant. (Vetoing is a different story but yeah.) This does not bother me and in fact anyone should feel willing to order whatever it is they want. I think your characterization is pretty unfair - not everyone who tries odd dietary changes instantly makes that their only personality. Have you actually met this irritating straw person you describe? I have not, though I've met vegans who are like that because they believe there is a moral high ground - I've never seen someone denounce gluten as evil.

Friend #1 is all over Portland, Oregon and it is a pain in the dick to plan events for them. They are very nearly alway GF AND vegan with a side of food allegies and they will make sure you know about it. I mostly just don't invite these people anymore except when there is some social reason that means snubbing them will have negative consequences. When that happens they are annoying as poo poo.

I also have friend #2 and I will either adjust my menue or have an alternate option for them because they are respectful and often bring thier own food and don't make a big deal out of it. It is pretty clear that they don't have an allergy or celiac but they are commited to the Glutten Free Vegan lifstyle necause they believe it has some woo health benefits. They do not draw attention to this and undetstand it is hard caterinf to a bunch of dietary restrictions fpr a bunch of different people.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

This is what I was thinking too. Even if she realized she's gay, that doesn't mean she doesn't care for her husband. Hell, she may feel bad for him. I can't say for sure because I'm not in the situation but I think if I came out as gay, I'd probably try to make sure my wife gets whatever the hell she wants out of our marriage/divorce.

Yes but his wife, her family and many of her friends/associates are all lawyers and theyre 95% scumbags. He has every reason to be concerned.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Barudak posted:

Race mixing is a surprisingly effective method of eliminating allergies

lmao where's the evidence for that? couldn't find anything on pubmed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

(((Lawyers)))

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

therobit posted:

(((Lawyers)))

Yea, we dont have a completely hosed up justice and civil settlement system in the US that attracts complete sociopaths to continue propagating it, no I must be an anti semite. gently caress off.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, we dont have a completely hosed up justice and civil settlement system in the US that attracts complete sociopaths to continue propagating it, no I must be an anti semite. gently caress off.

Hrrrrm yes it must be the (((lawyers))) causing this instead of the complex web of legislation and a system of government that is designed to preserve power for those in power and the hijacking of the legislative process by corporations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

therobit posted:

Hrrrrm yes it must be the (((lawyers))) causing this instead of the complex web of legislation and a system of government that is designed to preserve power for those in power and the hijacking of the legislative process by corporations.

(((corporations)))

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I think your characterization is pretty unfair - not everyone who tries odd dietary changes instantly makes that their only personality.
No poo poo, that's why there's Example Person #2 there.

Have you actually met this irritating straw person you describe? I have not, though I've met vegans who are like that because they believe there is a moral high ground - I've never seen someone denounce gluten as evil.
I have met that exact person no less than a dozen times in the 5 years I have lived in Minneapolis so yes, these people exist and they are insufferable. I want to sit on their chest and force feed them a loaf of bread. Some of them even made some retarded "gluten is evil" argument but it was so dumb I blacked out. I think it had something to do with GMOs.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

(((The Boogeyman)))

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Even if you think somebody is being a jerk you should still accomodate their retarded food allergies just in case it actually seriously harms them! It's not for you to decide whether or not their allergies are "real" and if they end up in the hospital for a week because you gave them regular Pepsi instead of diet you're gonna feel like a huge butt!

Me [28F] with my husband [31M]: He left refuses to come back

quote:

submitted 1 month ago by pinaybanana

This may be long and a run-around of a story. There's a lot that leads up to the time he left.

My husband and I were married last year. We have been together 5 years total. This spring we went overseas to see my family, and when we got back in May we noticed he was getting sick. We have been to 6 doctors and no one knows what is wrong with him. Each doctor gave a different diagnosis. He's super into conspiracy theories and thinks that it's Morgellon's Disease. I am more of a skeptic and have struggled with this for the last 7 months. I know he's sick, that is clear. We have had a lot of fights about what exactly is wrong with him.

He has lost around 50 lbs without diet or exercise. He has these "fibers" on his skin and lesions. He stays up all night sometimes because he is in so much pain. Joints, muscles, his skin feels like hes being bit by ants all over. Please the intense fatigue and he is so weak even going downstairs is hard for him. He ended up moving into the room next to the one we share so that I could get some sleep at night, as I am still working and he has been on a medical leave. He was also afraid it was contagious. We also haven't been as intimate. Partly because I was afraid if it was actually something I could catch, and partly because he was always asleep when I was awake or I was at work. We haven't been spending as much time together as we used to.

A couple months back his best friend told me he was smoking meth. We live with his parents, and his sister had just moved out a couple weeks prior. I told them and we confronted him. He was super defensive, saying we led him to do this because no one was helping him and he was miserable and in so much pain. We took it away from him. He claimed he wouldn't do it anymore. When I asked him to promise me, his response was, "I can't guarantee that." So I promised him that drugs are a no-go for me and if he ever did it again I would leave. He claims I never told him I felt that way, but I know for a fact I did early on in our relationship when he told me he used to be a heroin addict and had been clean for over 10 years. I remember being clear that I couldn't be with someone on drugs.

He has also been hanging out with people I've never even heard of or met the last few weeks, a homeless girl in particular. The week of Thanksgiving he had stayed out all night with her. I was really upset about it. His parents confronted him and said he better not be having an affair (I found this out after the fact). It never even crossed my mind, because I was so comfortable and confident in our relationship. He claimed he had been cheated on and knew it was the worst feeling, that he couldn't do that to me. All he has been talking about is this girl, how awesome she is, she understands him and is interested in the same things he is, and he feels good helping her out. He also told me that she sold hard drugs, and he was selling weed and leftovers of his prescription medications. He said they "teamed up" and "shared clients." I have not been happy with it and vocalized that to him, but he is headstrong and has always done things his way. I know he was feeling guilty over not being a provider and he was feeling like a burden. Thanksgiving night I packed up some food for her and he was going to deliver it to her. He told me he had gotten her a hotel room so she could be warm and sleep well that holiday. I thought that was really nice, but a little unnecessary since we are literally only living off my salary and his parents were giving him money to help pay for all the doctors visits.

Well he finally came home Friday morning after Thanksgiving, showered, and said he was going to go Black Friday shopping for me and get me movie theater popcorn (my vice) and meet up with a couple people. Keep in mind things have been rocky since he's been sick, and got rockier when he started selling stuff and hanging with this girl. His mom sent him a text that night that was a little aggressive. I helped them start decorating for Christmas and I had been making dinners a lot for the family and she was sick of him not being here and participating. That pissed him off and he decided not to come back. I didn't know she sent him that text because she did it when I went to sleep. I woke up Saturday and he was gone still. I panicked because he always texts me and says he's still out or on his way back or something. I had no texts. I called him a number of times and he told me about his mom's text and he's tired of all the negative energy he feels from the rest of us. He said that we haven't even been a married couple and he doesn't feel loved. He needed space and time and he got a hotel room. I was really upset but there was no convincing him to come back. I have this incredible sinking feeling he's with that girl, and that he never actually stopped doing meth. I think she supplies it to him. We also have a safe where all the cash we got on our wedding was saved. He doesn't believe in or trust banks (conspiracy guy) so I compromised and let him stick that money in the safe instead of a savings account. Turns out, he actually had that money in a lockbox that WAS in our safe but he started using that to keep money and pills in for his deals. I found out that he spent it ALL either on hotel or drugs. It was around $3600. He's been gone only a week. He also has said this is the happiest he's ever been, that him and I were never a team, and has insisted over and over he's not on drugs.

My best friends have told me that I need to leave him, that his actions were so disrespectful. His parents are even supporting this. They refuse to go through dealing with a drug addict again. He is an adult and made his choices, and left us. I feel so conflicted. I love him so much, our life was so happy before the sickness happened. I believe he was losing hope and the drugs were making him feel "happy." I don't know what to do. He won't answer very many of my texts and none of my calls. Same with his parents. He just keeps saying that he can't handle our negative energy and that we aren't supportive of him and he needs to also think about our relationship because he hasn't been happy. My friends and family and his family have all told me that I can't wait around forever, it's completely out of line what he did, and everyone understands if I want out. We barely made it 1 year as a married couple. I am having trouble accepting this is the end. I am still living with his parents and they have said I am welcome to stay because I am their daughter too. We all cry together almost every night trying to figure out what is going on and not being able to believe this is happening. What do I do? Do I just wait for him to come back? Do I move out of the house? Do I just give up and file for divorce?

Sorry this may kind of be all over the place. I may need to come back and edit.

tl;dr: Husband 31M has been sick and left after Thanksgiving because he says I 28F and his family 50's M/F & 30F, are negative energy. We think he may be on drugs and is with a homeless woman that he just met a few weeks ago. Need advice on what to do.

Honey, he was never sick, it was always meth

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

I don't see why you have to lie to get gluten free stuff. "May I have this without gluten" is a fine restaurant request and doesn't imply you have celiac at all. You are in fact allowed to ask for anything you want at the restaurant and, generally, they'll say yes because they want to cook food that you like. I also thinking blowing off work and still getting paid by saying you have to get dialysis is good, as the employer-employee relationship is fundamentally adversarial and it's you should be fighting for every scrap of leeway, as they will. You have a strange view of "the rules" which don't exist and you're hurting yourself with your well-meaning ethical rules here.

My post was clearly about the efficacy of lying about a severe medical illness to get people to behave how you want them to. Please consider a hot take that is actually about the quoted post tia.

navier-stoked fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 22, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl pants posted:

Even if you think somebody is being a jerk you should still accomodate their retarded food allergies just in case it actually seriously harms them! It's not for you to decide whether or not their allergies are "real" and if they end up in the hospital for a week because you gave them regular Pepsi instead of diet you're gonna feel like a huge butt!

You are 28 with no kids, let methulese go. Hell since hes a meth head he probably wont show up to court and youll get everything.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

girl pants posted:

drat, how good and inaccessible to her is that movie theater popcorn that she stuck with him?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

dudeness posted:

drat, how good and inaccessible to her is that movie theater popcorn that she stuck with him?

given that she (according to the tl;dr) still thinks he left because he had some sort of Mystery Illness which he felt unsupported during, I'm going to guess that she probably doesn't realize that you can just... buy popcorn.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

Together five years and she didn’t immediately nope out about big conspiracy theories and his lack of trust in banks?!

That’s some heavy denial if she believes he has Morgellons over the fact he’s repeatedly picking at his skin when he does meth. (Though, thanks thread, I was trying to remember the name of the ‘made up illness’ recently, but was blanking because ‘fibromyalgia’ kept popping into my head)

But when the guy’s own parents are telling you to run, you should loving listen.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I notice the shittyness of a person in these stories can be quite often predicted out by the length of the preface saying about how great the person is.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The instant she started describing his symptoms I wbispered "meth" to myself

Working in social services I feel like I've basically met this dude with ten different faces

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

girl pants posted:

given that she (according to the tl;dr) still thinks he left because he had some sort of Mystery Illness which he felt unsupported during, I'm going to guess that she probably doesn't realize that you can just... buy popcorn.

remember, she's a skeptic and remains unconvinced on Morgellons

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

girl pants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY1Pl1zGowc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mocking Bird posted:

Working in social services I feel like I've basically met this dude with ten different faces

The Meth-head Has a Thousand Faces was a ground breaking book in the comparative study of meths

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Mocking Bird posted:

lol, me too

then the next paragraph came along and i laughed but like, in a sad way

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NPR had a freakanomics piece with a Doctor who is finding that actual rates of celiac are much higher in the US than previously thought, but he can't get funding or social traction because its been such an obnoxious fad. Even the show's producer thought she had Celiac, but it turns out she didn't. She was spending like $1,200/month on groceries.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/demonization-gluten/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mocking Bird posted:

Not to mention how she just casually mentions the ‘former heroin addiction’ and that he couldn’t promise her to stop doing meth.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

therobit posted:

The Police arent the cause of many of these problems either, but they're still a part of the problem

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

girl pants posted:

Actually that's sort of depressing. Try this instead

Me [32 M] with my girlfriend [31 F] of 4 years, she's a foodie and hates that I'm a picky eater

I don't even understand how this couple has been dating for 4 loving years when the dude is stupidly picky and his girlfriend is really into food. How does that even work? How did they get past the first month of dating? :psyduck:

Dude is a goddamn child and deserves his girlfriend very blatantly loving with his stupid rear end. What kind of idiot dislikes lettuce and tomato on his burger and orders a plain burger with cheese? Literally 4 years old.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iceberg Lettuce on anything loving sucks. It's the worst vegetable. Absolutely flavorless and all it does is make things soggy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Unless you're celiac or just trying to lose weight going "gluten free" is 100% useless. Initially there was some research pointing towards gluten maybe causing IBS symptoms for some people, but the very doctor who did the study that launched the gluten-free craze ended up rescinding his theory after he did some more in depth studies that showed eliminating gluten had no effect on non-celiacs with IBS. What he did find though is that gluten is simply one of many sources of short chain carbs that some people's guts have problems dealing with, which resulted in the FODMAP diet, which is now an actually tested and effective way of helping some people with digestive problems. The idea is to follow the diet strictly for a month or so and then slowly reintroduce things and see how you feel.

It's really helped me and hasn't been at all a problem to follow (and I lost about 40 pounds). My main things are gluten, garlic, onion, and dairy (but seem ok with harder cheeses and baking that has dairy in it). I tried some good properly made sourdough breads but that didn't work out either. There's so much decent gluten-free poo poo these days it's really not a problem. Also we're not spending any extra money, I don't know how someone is spending 1,200 a month on groceries because they're celiac. I've got a couple legit celiac friends and very little about their lives have changed, but I guess it depends on where you live. I've found avoiding garlic and onion a lot harder than gluten, and even then I need to eat really garlicy poo poo straight for a few days for it to gently caress me up.

But there's plenty of reasons to avoid gluten even if you aren't celiac. Maybe they're doing a FODMAP thing, maybe they're just trying to lose weight by cutting it out, maybe a doctor told them they're borderline and to try eliminating it for a month and see how they feel.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LadyPictureShow posted:

(Though, thanks thread, I was trying to remember the name of the ‘made up illness’ recently, but was blanking because ‘fibromyalgia’ kept popping into my head)

I'm always confusing the two. I think it's because the fake one has "fibers", and Fibromyalgia is a fairly new disease, in terms of hearing about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is some really good vegan food.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Iceberg Lettuce on anything loving sucks. It's the worst vegetable. Absolutely flavorless and all it does is make things soggy.

Picky eater insane guy heavily implies he orders a burger without lettuce and tomato or other comically bland foods off the kid's menu every single time, even when he's at some high-end artisan restaurant with his foodie girlfriend. So that means he's disgusted when faced with a burger that has romaine, arugula, spinach, or any leafy green too.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

remember, she's a skeptic and remains unconvinced on Morgellons

my husband is staying up all night picking at his many lesions and he lost 50 pounds without exercise. it's either Morgellons or some other mystery illness. :thunk:

then I found out he was doing meth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

I'm always confusing the two. I think it's because the fake one has "fibers", and Fibromyalgia is a fairly new disease, in terms of hearing about it.

I think of "Morgellons" as the geocities website that came to life.

Edit: can't read.