Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the cells are only plentiful and cheap because elon is signing contracts for a centillion fuckin' 18650 cells every quarter. i mean its not like the laptop market is carrying the 18650 market right now lol. once tesla is gone those $2 china cells are gone

your RC batteries are cheap on amazon because of tesla, not the other way around

tesla chose 18650 cells because they were pre-existing and already-cheap

there's huge domestic demand in china from electric bike manufacturers. that form factor isn't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
things only leave china if the government subsidizes the postage. arduino clones dont really cost 2 cents to ship from shenzhen. once the tesla prom date is over, the batteries are goin away

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

60s mustangs are all mechanical though, there's no computer chips or software to present copyright issues or other reverse engineering difficulties.

also Ford built over two million Mustangs in the 60s, so of course there was money to be made in continuing to produce parts for the cars. what's the Model S production run at?

thanks that was kinda sarcastic? but i also wanted to float that car "fact" thats been bouncing around my head for a couple decades and get it fishmeched out, thx :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

does the government subsidize massive container shipments too or just the random crap i bought on ebay that somehow ships free

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tesla chose 18650 cells because they were pre-existing and already-cheap

there's huge domestic demand in china from electric bike manufacturers. that form factor isn't going anywhere.

"huh, i wonder if this cell at the core of every portable drill used in construction worldwide is gonna tank when a niche car manufacturer stops buying less than 1M/y"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

"huh, i wonder if this cell at the core of every portable drill used in construction worldwide is gonna tank when a niche car manufacturer stops buying less than 1M/y"

is someone actually arguing this, because i don't think anyone's actually arguing this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

things only leave china if the government subsidizes the postage. arduino clones dont really cost 2 cents to ship from shenzhen. once the tesla prom date is over, the batteries are goin away

not true, dude, at all. chinese electric bikes are like 10,000x the production of tesla. it's a tens of billions of dollars industry.

if tesla never bought or built another 18650, they would still be a really commonly found product.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
chinese ebikes and power drills are basically disposable tho. they can sell cells as lovely as they want for those and nobody will care there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

chinese ebikes and power drills are basically disposable tho. they can sell cells as lovely as they want for those and nobody will care there

point of the tesla battery designs are that the individual cells can be real lovely and also flammable and the whole deal will be still ok and nonflammable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also Ford built over two million Mustangs in the 60s, so of course there was money to be made in continuing to produce parts for the cars. what's the Model S production run at?

we know total tesla vehicle output, ever, is fewer than 200,000, because that's the magic number when the federal tax credit starts to phase out

for perspective, a typical mass-market sedan sells 100,000 cars a year, in the u.s. market alone.

edit: tesla has a working business that turns a profit, but it's a lotus or caterham-sized business, not a mazda or a jaguar-landrover.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ate all the Oreos posted:

is someone actually arguing this, because i don't think anyone's actually arguing this

Jonny 290 posted:

the cells are only plentiful and cheap because elon is signing contracts for a centillion fuckin' 18650 cells every quarter. i mean its not like the laptop market is carrying the 18650 market right now lol. once tesla is gone those $2 china cells are gone

your RC batteries are cheap on amazon because of tesla, not the other way around

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

does the government subsidize massive container shipments too or just the random crap i bought on ebay that somehow ships free
they subsidize all foreign shipping, of course the chinese businessmen will squeeze a container barge through a pinhole subsidy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

maybe not one off but if you loaded up a container with arduino clones it might come close to 2 cents per unit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh you seriously are arguing that the 18650 is inexorably tied to tesla for some reason, ok

that's dumb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

container shipping is ludicrously cheap

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im saying that people googling current prices for 18650s on amazon and saying "oh i'll just do a DIY pack in eight years for *looks at calculator smudges* $3700" are setting themselves up to be hosted by their own petard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

im saying that people googling current prices for 18650s on amazon and saying "oh i'll just do a DIY pack in eight years for *looks at calculator smudges* $3700" are setting themselves up to be hosted by their own petard

i don't expect 8-years-from-now cheapo chinese battery chemistry to be much different from today, jony

and $4k is n.b.d. when repairing your $100k collector's item sports car, as you of all people should know :q:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

maybe not one off but if you loaded up a container with arduino clones it might come close to 2 cents per unit

hey you live in the general area of china right? can you really go to street vendors in shenzhen and scoop yourself big ol' bag full o' microcontroller chip ripoffs like it's a barrel of peanuts?

...can you personally do that and ship them to me so i can have cheap things?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

it's also ludicrously cheap cuz it's ludicrously efficient. overseas shipping was 10x cheaper than overland in 6000 bc and also 2018 ad and every step in between

if your bananas come from peru in a container, the gas cost in driving it from the distribution center to the grocery and then from the grocery to your home is like 5x the gas cost of getting it to the port from the other port

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

yeah i think it was like, $400 to get your container around the world last time I checked or something, poo poo's crazy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it's also ludicrously cheap cuz it's ludicrously efficient. overseas shipping was 10x cheaper than overland in 6000 bc and also 2018 ad and every step in between

if your bananas come from peru in a container, the gas cost in driving it from the distribution center to the grocery and then from the grocery to your home is like 5x the gas cost of getting it to the port from the other port

well no it's ludicrously cheap because we massively overbuilt container ships and now we have waay too much global capacity and not enough actual demand

e: i mean i guess it's also cheap in general compared to bulk shipping, sure

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
flipside: it'll get there when it gets there

its not like 1937 put a letter on a steamer and it shows up 7 months later, but it takes a lil bit of runway

ill give them respect for getting shipping times down to like 7-10 calendar days from shenzen for little poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hey you live in the general area of china right? can you really go to street vendors in shenzhen and scoop yourself big ol' bag full o' microcontroller chip ripoffs like it's a barrel of peanuts?

...can you personally do that and ship them to me so i can have cheap things?

yeah i live in shenzhen. that stuff isn't at street vendors, but basically yeah it's in stalls in giant electronics malls

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

yeah i live in shenzhen. that stuff isn't at street vendors, but basically yeah it's in stalls in giant electronics malls

that sounds neat as heck :shobon:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

yeah i think it was like, $400 to get your container around the world last time I checked or something, poo poo's crazy

:eyepop:

jesus christ.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

the one i went to a couple times (SEG building in HQB) was split by floor, like the entry level floor was LED's and connectors, 2 floors up was arduinos and other integrated things, up from there was entire devices and eventually laptops

i had to buy 1 fuse because we'd blown it plugging into mains. asked for fuses, was pointed to the fuse lady, she made a big production out of looking at it and asking for quantity. i was smart enough to say "5" instead of 1, she still pretended to spit in the bag

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bet these ships are meant to be sailed fully loaded right? so i could absolutely see if they had to drop rates just to get some loving ballast on the thing so the rest of the ship's Actually Valuable Cargo can get destinated*

*ham radio term

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the biggest one is huaqiangbei:

that's like 25% of one floor, now imagine 7 floors of that and you got yourself 1 (one) building, and there's an entire street of these buildings. there's similar (but smaller) electronics malls all over the city, too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would end up a crazy person on the street borrowing wall outlets for my soldering iron if i had constant access to something like that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

JawnV6 posted:

the one i went to a couple times (SEG building in HQB) was split by floor, like the entry level floor was LED's and connectors, 2 floors up was arduinos and other integrated things, up from there was entire devices and eventually laptops

i had to buy 1 fuse because we'd blown it plugging into mains. asked for fuses, was pointed to the fuse lady, she made a big production out of looking at it and asking for quantity. i was smart enough to say "5" instead of 1, she still pretended to spit in the bag

who usually shops at these places? purchasers making bulk buys for export?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

i would end up a crazy person on the street borrowing wall outlets for my soldering iron if i had constant access to something like that

... why tho? few buildings aware are the folks who will solder up boards for you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im a component hoarder and if you give me the motherlode i will hoard

but if theres a nuke we'll need 555's and decade counters

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

who usually shops at these places? purchasers making bulk buys for export?

yes, but also i think local companies sometimes go there to find suppliers. there's also quite a few people like jawnv6 who are just buying one parts too.

the surrounding streets are packed with couriers and shipping companies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

the biggest one is huaqiangbei:

that's like 25% of one floor, now imagine 7 floors of that and you got yourself 1 (one) building, and there's an entire street of these buildings. there's similar (but smaller) electronics malls all over the city, too

holy poo poo this is so much fancier than i'd ever imagined

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a few times i've seen dudes on the street with literal cardboard signs saying stuff like "will do pcb layouts for cheap"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

holy poo poo this is so much fancier than i'd ever imagined

it's also so much lower quality than you'd imagine
the cops there also don't let you take pictures, dunno why

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

a few times i've seen dudes on the street with literal cardboard signs saying stuff like "will do pcb layouts for cheap"

hahah yes. me.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it's also so much lower quality than you'd imagine
the cops there also don't let you take pictures, dunno why
huh, imgur kept my pictures around: https://imgur.com/a/uGOGN

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would die