Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cloud LMR (Best with BSB2. Those with USB will find much less use for it.)

A 25% quickcast cycle on Wind Abilities? On a character whose only Wind options aside from SBs are his BSB2 commands and Tornado Strike? There is no circumstance where you'd rather have that over just doublecasting Omega Drives, USB or no.

quote:

Y'shtola LMR (Best with BSB. Solid without. Doublecast White is always really good.)

That's Y'sh's LM2, not her LMR. Y'shtola LMR is an Esuna proc on single-target healing.

It's not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Now that I finally pulled Lightning USB I'm side-eying this draw a lot more seriously, but I dunno, 30 bucks is a lot to pay for a LMR. Maybe if they gently caress up again and we get to pick two like last time I'll think about it. For now I think I'm gonna hold off, especially since that specific LMR was on one of the 3rd anniversary banners in JP.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Now that I finally pulled Lightning USB I'm side-eying this draw a lot more seriously, but I dunno, 30 bucks is a lot to pay for a LMR. Maybe if they gently caress up again and we get to pick two like last time I'll think about it. For now I think I'm gonna hold off, especially since that specific LMR was on one of the 3rd anniversary banners in JP.

That's what's tempting me, but SuperFest banner #2 looks pretty good so I'll probably roll on that when we get it. Lightning stuff including her Flash Art relic, Squall stuff including his Flash Art, Kain Chain and Snow Chain.

If they gently caress up and give us double selections though I'd happily plunk down the gems for Lightning LM + Edge SSB2.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

KataraniSword posted:

A 25% quickcast cycle on Wind Abilities? On a character whose only Wind options aside from SBs are his BSB2 commands and Tornado Strike? There is no circumstance where you'd rather have that over just doublecasting Omega Drives, USB or no.

That's Y'sh's LM2, not her LMR. Y'shtola LMR is an Esuna proc on single-target healing.

It's not very good.

Woops. This is what I get for writing that list while tired and not doublechecking myself. :doh:

I'll make those edits. For some reason I thought Cloud's LMR was something different than that. I don't know what mind you... don't trust me to make lists.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Woops. This is what I get for writing that list while tired and not doublechecking myself. :doh:

I'll make those edits. For some reason I thought Cloud's LMR was something different than that. I don't know what mind you... don't trust me to make lists.

He gets a second one in the festival after next which is a Doublecast Wind. It was released on the same banner as his USB2, which has a damage-cap-breaking wind chaser.

That's also when they release a proper Wind quadstrike for 5* spellblades which is only important for Cloud and maybe Luneth, since every other spellblade interested in Wind has access to Snowspell.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 22, 2018

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Did 2 pulls and got Ingus earth chain, Kain USB (dupe), strago OSB, and Noctis BSB.
Grabbed Ayame and Lightning LMR and now I pray they will give me the boost i need to murder Bismarck and Fenrir.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
JP has had a lot of gem only pulls. During the latest "EXTREME FEST" I think they had eight gem only banners up simultaneously at best? The most interesting ones were a pull from a pool of dozen good USBs and pick a CSB afterwards. Sounds too good to be true? It cost 9000 gems to pull so there's that minor drawback.

3rd anniversary had three, one similar to our current one, one for BSBs and one for OSBs. The selection lists were updated to include newer relics like Squall BSB2 etc.

That's never a guarantee we'll get them but I don't see them turning down money.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Is there a website where I can look at what I’ve got and see what’s needed?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
First pull: No dupes!

Picked Bartz LMR and LD'd him. I have nothing to infuse him with any elements but I have his USB and I can hone spellblade abilities for him. I'm happy.

I haven't decided which LMR I want next. I have literally everything for Terra except her LMR so I'd like that but I don't think it will help me nearly as much as Lightning's LMR. I already have Papalymo LD so I have a dual cast fire nerd. Terra's trance is already awesome. I also have Vivi LD as well. I'm good on fire.

For Lightning, I don't have her USB but I have her enLightning SSB and a honed up Thundering Quadstrike. I tend to spam her OSB on bosses but I feel like it would be better to use Thundering Quadstrike to build meter for her instead of Lifesyphon. Meter build is a little slower but the damage makes up for it in terms of speed.

Any advice? Is there anything I didn't think of?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Noctis LMR (Best with BSB or USB. Okay with OSB. Doublecast Combat makes Omega Drive even more silly.)

Quick note about this, Noctis' Lvl 99 materia, the one that greatly increases damage at the cost of not building soul gauge, changes his attack to be flagged as a combat ability. It's incredible if you RW a Cloud USB on him since he can double cast 20k damage regular attacks. It's won't outdamage Omega Drive but you can only ever have one of those and combat 6 isn't rare. It really shines in Jumpstarts and farming where the drawback doesn't matter.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Splurged on the gem banner:
5/11 - Sabin USB, Vivi BSB, Braska BSB, Celes SSB (dupe), Galuf BSB (dupe)
Basically a fire banner, what the hell. Sabin's USB seems pretty rad

2/11 - Kain CSB, Papa BSB (dupe)
Sweet, a chain!

These new relics open up some LD possibilities for sure. We all know what Vivi can do, but I'm super curious about Braska. Dualcast summoning sounds pretty great so I'm kinda tempted to grab his SSB (faithga, quickcast, regen) and stick him on most of my magicite teams. I could also wait for Alph's Legend Dive as I have his SSB and BSB. Radiant shield is really cool but I find +Atk/Mag conflicts with other boosts more often.

Anyone given Sabin a dive with his USB? I've read the ability buff did good things for Fires Within.

Other considerations for relic choices:
Edge SSB
Noctis SSB
Squall LMR (Full dive, BSB2, same consideration as above RE: Tidus)
Papa LMR (Full dive, SSB, OSB, BSB)
Fujin LMR (BSB)
Iris LMR (BSB)
Duece LMR (BSB, SSB)
Galuf LMR (USB, BSB, SSB)
Minfilia LMR (USB, BSB, SSB)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sabin is neck and neck with Zell as the best fire monk with their USB with Sabin pulling ahead a little bit once fully dove.

Did one pull for Lightnings LM, got Ingus' SSB, Auron's BSB and Noctis' USB. Question about his USB, it says it's a small boost to non-elemental damage, does that include physical?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 22, 2018

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I doubt I'm pulling on these banners. How long do you guys have to decide on the choice relics? If you have no pressing needs and it goes into February, I'd suggest waiting for 4* magicites to decide. They're allegedly coming at the end of the month, but maintenance is in a few days so we should know for sure.

A lot of these LMRs are pretty situational or could be the difference of a clear for a single element. Edge's SSB sounds like it's the biggest one for 4*, but I can't say from any first hand experience.

Elephant Ambush posted:

First pull: No dupes!

I haven't decided which LMR I want next. I have literally everything for Terra except her LMR so I'd like that but I don't think it will help me nearly as much as Lightning's LMR. I already have Papalymo LD so I have a dual cast fire nerd. Terra's trance is already awesome. I also have Vivi LD as well. I'm good on fire.

For Lightning, I don't have her USB but I have her enLightning SSB and a honed up Thundering Quadstrike. I tend to spam her OSB on bosses but I feel like it would be better to use Thundering Quadstrike to build meter for her instead of Lifesyphon. Meter build is a little slower but the damage makes up for it in terms of speed.

Any advice? Is there anything I didn't think of?

I would say it makes sense to turn an already strong character into a stronger one than for a middling one into a slightly better one. Between the two I'd go Terra if only to make your fire even better for 4* AND for the +10 for everything else (since she's still really strong for a bunch of elements). If you have the hones, her AND Vivi can probably carry you together for most of them.

I have Lightning's USB and BSB1 and I think you're better off going all in on entrust>OSB spam than thundering quadstrikes. Without that extra speed from the USB, it seems gimped to cast just her abilities over the OSB. She also only helps lightning magicite. What other lightning options do you have?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

I doubt I'm pulling on these banners. How long do you guys have to decide on the choice relics? If you have no pressing needs and it goes into February, I'd suggest waiting for 4* magicites to decide. They're allegedly coming at the end of the month, but maintenance is in a few days so we should know for sure.

A lot of these LMRs are pretty situational or could be the difference of a clear for a single element. Edge's SSB sounds like it's the biggest one for 4*, but I can't say from any first hand experience.

I would say it makes sense to turn an already strong character into a stronger one than for a middling one into a slightly better one. Between the two I'd go Terra if only to make your fire even better for 4* AND for the +10 for everything else (since she's still really strong for a bunch of elements). If you have the hones, her AND Vivi can probably carry you together for most of them.

I have Lightning's USB and BSB1 and I think you're better off going all in on entrust>OSB spam than thundering quadstrikes. Without that extra speed from the USB, it seems gimped to cast just her abilities over the OSB. She also only helps lightning magicite. What other lightning options do you have?

Well I could LD Ashe and Desch but they're mages.

For physical characters there's not much else I have which is why I wanted to give her a buff. Especially with the upcoming Thundering Godstrike or whatever.

The only other character in the running for an LMR pick is Celes for double cast Spellblade but I don't use her much and she's probably not as good as Squall. I have both their BSB2s and while I'm a huge fanboy for General Not Opera Floozy it might be a waste of an LMR pick.

I just feel like Terra LMR would be win more. But maybe you're right about making sure I can get a foot in the door for at least one 4* magicite.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
"Winning more" is a concept best left for card games and completely forgotten for FFRK. Having your best characters be better is always beneficial. So Terra can solo Sealion. She can't solo Isgebind (4*) and she really wants the help to beat Shiva (5*). Even for Crystal Tower content which asks for a wide roster a mega Terra is incredibly beneficial. The busted Terra lets you use weaker characters in her party for equal party power level. The stronger characters will now move on to support your other teams improving the performance of all your four teams.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pulled on the gem banner since I haven't thrown any actual money at this game yet. I've been playing it for free long enough so I'll throw the devs some support.

So what did I get for my trouble?

4/11

Steiner USB
Gabranth SSB
Fran SSB
Eiko BSB (DUPE)

:suicide: :siren: NEVER PULL :siren: :suicide:

I took Terra's LMR as my free pick since I have her USB. I guess that's a good enough consolation prize.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm tempted to pull on this banner for Terra LMR. She is fully dived with USB + OSB so it gives me the option to either run her in lazy mode with LM1 + LMR when I don't want to run the numbers to put her into trance or LM2 + LMR when I'm doing tough content.

How is Vivi's LMR?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 22, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, you guys paying to pull on a banner with supers on it are way braver than I am.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's for the LM pick, if you get anything actually good from the pull itself that's just a bonus I'd think.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm tempted to pull on this banner for Terra LMR. She is fully dived with USB + OSB so it gives me the option to either run her in lazy mode with LM1 + LMR when I don't want to run the numbers to put her into trance or LM2 + LMR when I'm doing tough content.

How is Vivi's LMR?

Vivi’s LMR boosts all BLK damage by 25%, but lowers his casting speed by about 23%. It’s not a good combo with his USB unless you have fastcast sources, in which case it becomes downright fantastic, since a fastcast LMR spell’s still about 50% faster than a normal cast.

EDIT: I took Lightning with USB+LMR along Prompto (non-dived with USB) OK, Shelke and Aphmau for laughs against Bismarck. Landed 24s on the run in spite of far sloppier execution than I got used to in my mage runs. I kinda wish I had a Lightning Chain to achieve maximum hilarity, but it does make the point that my Lightning physical team’s better than it looks on paper in spite of only having a single superstar. Prompto dropping 25-30k Tempest Snipes without an En-element amuses me more than it should.

Parasol Waddle Dee fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 22, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think I'd pull on this banner even if I could with mythril

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avalerion posted:

It's for the LM pick, if you get anything actually good from the pull itself that's just a bonus I'd think.

30 dollars american for a potential single LMR + one super soul break seems like an extremely bad rate of return to me but god bless if that's the chance you want to take

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

30 dollars american for a potential single LMR + one super soul break seems like an extremely bad rate of return to me but god bless if that's the chance you want to take

I got a nice annual bonus at work so I'm spending a little bit of it. :shrug:

Thanks for the recommendation on Terra LMR. Gonna get that.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cowcaster posted:

I bought a copy of Destiny 2 on sale for a similar price. This would probably be less of a waste of money. :shrug:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cowcaster posted:

Many people in the thread have done thirty dollar draws and ended up with a lot less than that. Plus it’s not just a single LMR, but the LMR you want more than almost any other in the game.

Still leaning toward not pulling but I can’t blame those who do.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I already put some gift cards into gems, but I'm definitely holding off till at least OK, Ramza or maybe Tyro LMR are available. I'd do more pulls on the OK banner, but I already have half the drat thing. I'm pretty glad that certain BSBs like Squall BSB2 might become selectable from mythril only banners in the near future. I'm betting that within 12 months from now, some 1st gen CSBs might even become selectable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm betting that within 12 months from now, some 1st gen CSBs might even become selectable.

Heck, in two or three years I bet Cloud USB will be selectable.

Never pull.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Heck, in two or three years I bet Cloud USB will be selectable.

Never pull.

Ha, I wasn't being hopeful with that statement. For what it's worth, it's going to have taken roughly 10 months for Squall's BSB2 to become selectable (3rd Ann.). I paid for Raines BSB like 8 months after its release. LMR's are probably the fastest turn-around for selection.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Putting sapphire shot and mug bloodlust on Yuffie brough my living fire time down to 44 :toot:. Yuffie's USB is great for when Butz triggers 3 counter blazes with 1 action.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, you guys paying to pull on a banner with supers on it are way braver than I am.

I saw a screenshot of someone pulling Gau SSB/11 which killed any desire I had to pull on this.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm betting that within 12 months from now, some 1st gen CSBs might even become selectable.

I mean, it happened in Japan already at triple the cost. The New Years Lucky Bags for Japan were:

• Price of three gem pulls for a 33-pull with random curated USB + Chain SB choice
  • Price of two gem pulls for a 22-pull with USB/LMR combo randomly chosen from Terra, Cloud (USB1/LMR 1), Bartz, Tidus, Lightning
  • Price on a gem pull for an 11-pull with OSB/BSB2 combo randomly chosen from Terra , Cloud, Bartz (BSB3), Tidus, Lightning

I don't think it'll come to Global as we didnt get last years New Years Lucky Bags, but in Japan you could have already payed $90 for a guaranteed choice of Chain.

And this was on top of the BSB, OSB and LMR Dream Selection gem pulls also available.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 22, 2018

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

pichupal posted:

I mean, it happened in Japan already at triple the cost. The New Years Lucky Bags for Japan were:

• Price of three gem pulls for a 33-pull with random curated USB + Chain SB choice
  • Price of two gem pulls for a 22-pull with USB/LMR combo randomly chosen from Terra, Cloud (USB1/LMR 1), Bartz, Tidus, Lightning
  • Price on a gem pull for an 11-pull with OSB/BSB2 combo randomly chosen from Terra , Cloud, Bartz (BSB3), Tidus, Lightning

I don't think it'll come to Global as we didnt get last years New Years Lucky Bags, but in Japan you could have already payed $90 for a guaranteed choice of Chain.

And this was on top of the BSB, OSB and LMR Dream Selection gem pulls also available.

Oh right, I forgot about those. Though I guess if I qualified my statement with a "$30 dollar pull" I might still be right. $90 for one guaranteed choice is kind of nuts. Especially since the random USB could even be duped within the same roll.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Moon Monster posted:

I saw a screenshot of someone pulling Gau SSB/11 which killed any desire I had to pull on this.

It’s still a terrible pull, but I went Gau SSB/11 on a pull many months ago and oddly enough it’s one of my most used synergy pieces. 28 MAG/27 MND on a piece of VI armor is rather convenient!

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Another thing to consider is characters can only use 2 Legend Materia, and sometimes the 2 they get from dives are better than giving one up for the equipment materia.

Tidus is a good example - His 2 he unlocks are doublecast water and +15% Water. His equipment gives start with EnWater.

First of all, he gets Enwater from multiple sources including BSBs and USB, so if that's up quickly it's a waste of a slot. Start with En-Element also expires midway through the battle if you can't refresh it, and you're usually starting the battle building meter, not spamming OSBs or whatever.

The boring old +15% to Water stacks with his USB enwater, making that more of a boost, it's permanent, and he actually has other +% to water passives that stack further.

I'm trying to figure out if I should pick Tidus myself, so let me throw up some counter points. I'd love to be talked out of it so I can pick waifu stuff.

The game's meta is heavily focused on sub30 speed running, so you don't need to be super worried about the en-element expiring if that's your target. Additionally, if you have his chain, you're going to want to do something like CSB->USB->SS spam with some entrusters feeding him those initial bars. Having an initial en-water is going to give an 80% boost to those first 2 SBs which can be a huge deal when that's like 20% of your actions for the fight (again assuming sub30). Also, his LM1 is only a 10% boost, and you're probably going to start capping SS once the chain gets high enough anyways.

I think my plan is going to be to wait until the 4* magicites drop and see how my current teams fare and choose based on if anything would push me to a clear/sub30.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
For what it's worth, Tidus LMR is essential to my Tidus sub-30 gameplay because I don't use Lifesiphon and I build gauge with Sapphire Shot.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
Tidus' LMR, depending on the setup, is essentially paramount to what makes him an aquatic chippershredder. I have all of his advanced water tech (BSB2, USB, CSB and LMR) and I don't even bother with his USB anymore. I open with his chain, have an Entrust bot feed him gauge and then just start ramming BSB2 => Sapphire Shot => lather, rinse, repeat. He alone answers for over half the damage I poo poo out on Liquid Flame. I can't wait to rip Marilith into ribbons come January 31st. :unsmigghh:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The magicite inheritance system comes with the 4* magicites, right? Is there a succinct write-up of how that works? It kinda sounds like the optimal way to do it is to just focus on leveling up your 3* stuff right now, and feeding all of your unleveled 1 and 2* magicites into the 4*s when they come out, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
I got Tidus' BSB2 on the water banner and didn't even think about his LMR as a potential gem banner choice. There's a lot of good with that burst but the lack of en-water bothered me. While it's no CSB/USB, I gotta think having his LMR with BSB2 and Sapphire Shot would make for a pretty deadly combo.

Sounds like Edge's SSB is the other no-brainer for me. Certainly nice to grab two +element armors.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Parasol Waddle Dee posted:

Tidus' LMR, depending on the setup, is essentially paramount to what makes him an aquatic chippershredder. I have all of his advanced water tech (BSB2, USB, CSB and LMR) and I don't even bother with his USB anymore. I open with his chain, have an Entrust bot feed him gauge and then just start ramming BSB2 => Sapphire Shot => lather, rinse, repeat. He alone answers for over half the damage I poo poo out on Liquid Flame. I can't wait to rip Marilith into ribbons come January 31st. :unsmigghh:

My sub30 Liquid Flame is just spamming his USB (insta-cast 1 means you can just keep chaining it into itself scarily fast) with some ninja abilities as backup damage. So in that scenario the LMR isn't much help, but I was under the impressions that poo poo won't fly on 4* magicites.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Against my better judgement I pulled so I could get Relm's LMR since she is my favorite healer and I am refusing to dive her.

Tiny Bee/11

The. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I was thinking on difficulty and power creep in this game after the reveal of the first Torment Renewal boss, and on the one hand Cuchulainn looks like a bunch of :tviv: for the third and maybe second stages.

On the other hand, I was able to blitz through the current event with nothing more than a few tweaks on my "farming" team of physical characters with dualcast LMs. Healing? Naw, no need for that. (Lion USB is sometimes necessary for getting mastery, so I'm not entirely without breaks.) So maybe all this power creep on the side of the enemies is warranted?

• Locked thread