Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

huh, imgur kept my pictures around: https://imgur.com/a/uGOGN

i love all the quartz windowed things in that one picture :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
When I was living in Shenzhen my company wouldn't reimburse me for the RAM I bought at one of those electronics towers because the seller gave me some sort of receipt with a particular stamp that wasn't legit enough for the finance dept. At the moment I got pretty irate about "official stamps" on documents. Still am when I have to do trade with the ME.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sonatinas posted:

When I was living in Shenzhen my company wouldn't reimburse me for the RAM I bought at one of those electronics towers because the seller gave me some sort of receipt with a particular stamp that wasn't legit enough for the finance dept. At the moment I got pretty irate about "official stamps" on documents. Still am when I have to do trade with the ME.

well, theres a bunch of hunan women downstairs at those places selling receipts for a % fee of the face value. you coulda done that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

they are backed by venture capital and have burnt through too much cash to be able to pivot to just doing the s though. selling off everything outside the s would look a lot more like ejecting the s from the actual tesla

doesn't tesla not actually have that much venture capital behind it at this point?

and wasn't most of tesla's venture capital raised by or outright from ol musky himself? like that was the entire reason he got to be an honorary founder and the head of the company, he dumped a bunch of daddy's money and paypal money into tesla.

so in the end the primary vc for tesla is the guy in charge so its not much of a threat

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fart simpson posted:

well, theres a bunch of hunan women downstairs at those places selling receipts for a % fee of the face value. you coulda done that.
is that the "fa pi ao" folks when you get off the subway? fapiao fapiao fapiao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JawnV6 posted:

is that the "fa pi ao" folks when you get off the subway? fapiao fapiao fapiao

yes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

doesn't tesla not actually have that much venture capital behind it at this point?

and wasn't most of tesla's venture capital raised by or outright from ol musky himself? like that was the entire reason he got to be an honorary founder and the head of the company, he dumped a bunch of daddy's money and paypal money into tesla.

so in the end the primary vc for tesla is the guy in charge so its not much of a threat

daddy's money for musko was <100k
it's paypal money and raised from ipo money

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

edit: tesla has a working business that turns a profit, but it's a lotus or caterham-sized business, not a mazda or a jaguar-landrover.

this seems an especially appropriate comparison since wasn't the tesla roadster basically just an electric lotus?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

i thought "musk paid for tesla out of his own pockets because he's so kind and wanted to give the world a better car and he lived on a friend's couch while he was doing that!" was a complete myth though

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

just got an email that Amazon is discontinuing their Prime Surprise Sweets box because i guess people don't want to spend :20bux: on a grabbag of nearly expired sweet things

also jokes on me for actually getting a physical dash button to order a $20 box of nearly expired sweets
(the whoopie pie from Maine was very good)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought "musk paid for tesla out of his own pockets because he's so kind and wanted to give the world a better car and he lived on a friend's couch while he was doing that!" was a complete myth though

tesla was in fact started via a sweetheart loan from the department of energy using a program designed to fund businesses like that

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yes but what does that have to do with the true fact of elon musk being a prime investor in tesla including apparently leading all their pre-ipo vc funding rounds?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

at that point the guy was like $50 million post-ipo so lol at the couch, but it was definitely cuz of basically no reason

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
as the guy who, without a doubt here, deals the most with china shipping, the gov't has got to pay for it all.

I get 2 day air freight on all kinds of poo poo for totally free from my factories. like 10,000 nickel enamel pins. it weighs like half a ton and they ship from inland china and arrive in 2 days.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

at that point the guy was like $50 million post-ipo so lol at the couch, but it was definitely cuz of basically no reason

he lived in one of peter thiel's mansions, not exactly slumming it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Beast of Bourbon posted:

as the guy who, without a doubt here, deals the most with china shipping

i beg to differ. let me tell you about all of the dried tiger penises i consume...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

JawnV6 posted:

naw it'll be like a 60's mustang, the line's soooo popular that every part still in current manufacture

the difference being that when the 60s mustang was being made, you could buy parts for it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sv got its start by being the same sort of place (albeit at a smaller scale) that shenzen is today: a place where you could source and assemble and entire computer from loving sand entirely inside a 1 sq mile radius

the fact that apple was founded in a garage in cupertino ca and not loving fargo nd ain't exactly an accident

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sv in turn got that way as a result of a big old spigot of defense spending, which in turn was attracted by a large concentration of high-caliber public research universities.

and of course pretty much everything elon "john galt" musk has done was entirely dependent on government spending and subsidies

and the chinese government today takes a very active role in the levers of its export economy

almost as if government and private industry have a symbiotic relationship despite what today's WHO IS JOHN GALT crowd might crow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you saying silicon valley needs to compete with china after all?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sapozhnik posted:

sv in turn got that way as a result of a big old spigot of defense spending, which in turn was attracted by a large concentration of high-caliber public research universities.

and of course pretty much everything elon "john galt" musk has done was entirely dependent on government spending and subsidies

and the chinese government today takes a very active role in the levers of its export economy

almost as if government and private industry have a symbiotic relationship despite what today's WHO IS JOHN GALT crowd might crow

and never forget that the original SV gambit was largely backed/spearheaded by noted eugenicist piece of poo poo James Watson

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
A good book about the SV/Federal government is The Entrepreneurial State by Mariana Mazzucato

https://www.amazon.com/Entrepreneurial-State-Debunking-Private-Economics/dp/0857282522

quote:

Debunking the myth of a laggard State at odds with a dynamic private sector, Mazzucato reveals in case study after case study that in fact the opposite situation is true, with the private sector only finding the courage to invest after the entrepreneurial State

its basically all about how libertarians are ignorant morons which is extremely my poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

and never forget that the original SV gambit was largely backed/spearheaded by noted eugenicist piece of poo poo James Watson

also the first actual "silicon" in silicon valley was Shockley Semiconductors, run by creator of the first transistor and noted paranoid schizophrenic eugenicist William Shockley

Literally the man that put the Silicon in Silicon Valley posted:

My research leads me inescapably to the opinion that the major cause of the American Negro's intellectual and social deficits is hereditary and racially genetic in origin and, thus, not remediable to a major degree by practical improvements in the environment.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaman Linavi posted:

also jokes on me for actually getting a physical dash button to order a $20 box of nearly expired sweets

ill say. typically a story that ends with someone installing a bulk candy delivery button in their home begins with, "yo mommas so fat..."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

also the first actual "silicon" in silicon valley was Shockley Semiconductors, run by creator of the first transistor and noted paranoid schizophrenic eugenicist William Shockley

i bet that guy had some chill ideas about jewish people

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
psh, everyone knows shockley was super-racist, but... did u ALSO know that he was an incompetent lab manager who literally wedged himself in between brattain & bardeen in photos and hogged all the credit??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

hosted by their own petard

i know this was autocorrect but i love it anyway

Whizbat!
Jan 22, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tesla ‘on Autopilot’ slams into parked fire truck on freeway

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
self driving cars are right around the corner

of a firetruck

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gently caress self driving cars. id settle for self aware drivers!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

hey ask my dad about all the wonderful non-semiconductor opinions he had and how the liberals suppressed his research :suicide:

there's nothing quite like the moment when you realize as a young adult your father has terrible racist opinions based on bullshit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Driver's thought process as the wreck approached:

"Look, out the window! A fire truck! I've seen drawings of fire trucks in my picture books, of course, but how could I have ever known how pale and insignificant those crude representations were in comparison to the real thing! Fire truck! Oh, great God in heaven, fire truck! This has got to be the most moving of mankind's creations, and perhaps of nature's, as well.

This whirlwind of sensory input is almost more than my tiny mind can process! Mere words cannot begin to convey what I am feeling! This incredible, life-changing, soul-shattering wonder is… Why, it is beyond description!"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Xaris posted:

self driving cars are right around the corner

of a firetruck

i was driving somewhere tonight and it was raining and i don't know what kind of fuckall paint they use on the lane markers on the highway but they basically become invisible at night when it rains and this was during rush hour so your head better be on a swivel and it takes all your concentration to figure out where the lanes might be.

then it had started snowing and on the way home the lane markers were totally gone and you basically just subdivided the road into three lanes in your head and kinda stayed where you hoped a lane was.

and then i though about how self driving cars are right around the corner as soon as they can handle those conditions and i laughed and laughed and laughed

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

humans never hit the back of emergency vehicles.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
lol he wwas probably sleeping in his car on his hour long commute to work

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Tesla, after the incident, said Autopilot is “intended for use only with a fully attentive driver.” The Model S owner’s manual has numerous warnings that attention to the road is vital while using Autopilot and other Tesla semi-autonomous driving functions.

look, if i have to keep my hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, it's not loving autopilot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

crabrock posted:

humans never hit the back of emergency vehicles.

why is there always someone who posts this like it isn't the dumbest loving argument?

like, without fail, any time some attempt at autonomous driving fails in a hilarious and or fatal way, some loving genius pops up to say "yeah but humans also crash cars", like it's in any way insightful or even relevant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well you’re supposed to be paying attention when using an autopilot on a plane too

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
wonder what the world would be like if "silicon valley" had stayed in the heart of vacuum tubes/radio/early tv - north jersey/newark/new york city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

why is there always someone who posts this like it isn't the dumbest loving argument?

like, without fail, any time some attempt at autonomous driving fails in a hilarious and or fatal way, some loving genius pops up to say "yeah but humans also crash cars", like it's in any way insightful or even relevant.

if global warming why cold????

• Locked thread