Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

lmao Mitch McConnell, famous good faith agreement man. Surely he'll keep his word with the Democrats, a group of people he has a long track record of deeply respecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

lmao Mitch McConnell, famous good faith agreement man. Surely he'll keep his word with the Democrats, a group of people he has a long track record of deeply respecting.

Lucy is currently committed to holding the football in place in exchange for Charlie "Chuck" Brown agreeing to try and kick it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

The goal is to make Mitch McConnell feel so bad about bullying a party of literal developmentally challenged babies that he can take it no more and retires.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

twerking on the railroad posted:

I seriously doubt that Manning is a Nazi. More likely she's just easily duped.

I think her arrest record shows she is very easily duped.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

inspiring confidence in the base

https://twitter.com/leedsgarcia/status/955484319207768064

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have to say im proud of the democrats for finding the one way out of this that hurts them and only them, as opposed to at worst hurting both parties equally

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I can't believe that people actually think Republicans will actually do the right thing on DACA. Thank God this thread exists because in the Trump thread people apparently think that DACA being popular will somehow force Republicans' hands.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

InnercityGriot posted:

I can't believe that people actually think Republicans will actually do the right thing on DACA. Thank God this thread exists because in the Trump thread people apparently think that DACA being popular will somehow force Republicans' hands.

Right after they passed a tax bill that was super unpopular, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

InnercityGriot posted:

the thing is regardless of whether or not mitch keeps his word, it still has to get through the house.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/955511725129961473

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

InnercityGriot posted:

They probably will save the Dreamers but with a lot of hideous poo poo attached, along with the dreamers staying being conditional on staying compliant with the program. Compliance of course determined by the Trump administration.

They won't be rounded up but by 8 years they will be all gone.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

InnercityGriot posted:

The Trump thread is full of people who unironically believed that President Hillary would somehow had been able to force a GOP congress to play ball, so this isn't surprising.

E:

axelord posted:

They probably will save the Dreamers but with a lot of hideous poo poo attached, along with the dreamers staying being conditional on staying compliant with the program. Compliance of course determined by the Trump administration.

They won't be rounded up but by 8 years they will be all gone.

Yeah, this is the really dumb thing. How the gently caress can you look at the America of today and think that the law won't be used to its fullest extent to hurt minorities?

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/SheriffClarkeTC/status/955509547283763200

edit: screenshot for when its inevitably taken down

Tommah fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 22, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The democrats: absolutely pathetic.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/955515046372790272

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/955512608093859841

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

And to think that I was annoyed with the democrats when I thought there were going to trade DACA for wall funding. Now we get wall funding and no DACA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

And to think that I was annoyed with the democrats when I thought there were going to trade DACA for wall funding. Now we get wall funding and no DACA.

loving :same:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/955514930949754881

quote:

Progressives are hammering Sen. Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) for his agreement with Senate Republican leadership to end the government shutdown on Monday.

Even House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has spoken out against the deal, saying there was no reason to support it.

“I don’t see that there’s any reason — I’m speaking personally and hearing from my members — to support what was put forth,” Pelosi said at a press briefing shortly before Schumer signaled Senate Democrats would agree to it.

Activists took a harsher tone.

“It’s official: Chuck Schumer is the worst negotiator in Washington – even worse than Trump,” said Murshed Zaheed, political director at Credo, a progressive advocacy group.

“Any plan to protect Dreamers that relies on the word of serial liars like [Senate Majority Leader] Mitch McConnell [R-Ky.], [House Speaker] Paul Ryan [R-Wis.] or [President] Donald Trump is doomed to fail,” Zaheed added.

what a trainwreck

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 22, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I bet you Schumer agreed to future wall-funding appropriation to get DACA. What a mess. What a loving waste.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is it true that it's only a one month extension and they got 6 years of CHIP in exchange?

Or is this a full and final budget plan?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Trump is going to sign landmark immigration reform. The democrats are going to give him his wall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Is it true that it's only a one month extension and they got 6 years of CHIP in exchange?

yes, the full and final budget plan involves a February deadline

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

GlyphGryph posted:

It's three weeks and yes they got 6 years of CHIP. It's a fine deal if they can manage not to gently caress up the PR, and if they didn't manage to embolden Republicans to completely refuse any decent DREAM act altogether; we'll see if either of those conditions hold.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It's a horrible loving deal. They've let the GOP off the hook for letting CHIP expire without a single political consequence.

E: what you describe as "a fine deal" is just last year's status quo plus money for Trump's wall.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mornacale posted:

It's three weeks and yes they got 6 years of CHIP. It's a fine deal if they can manage not to gently caress up the PR, and if they didn't manage to embolden Republicans to completely refuse any decent DREAM act altogether; we'll see if either of those conditions hold.

It's a loving terrible deal!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wait did the Dems actually give a way the wall funding yet?

I thought it was just 3 weeks more of regular funding plus 6 years of CHIP?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

yes, the dems gave the wall funding and also abolished term limits and crafted an immortality machine so trump is our forever president now. little politically confused but i admire the energy, i hope sanders wins the election for vice-president.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"Sen. McCaskill" posted:

“If there’s any silver lining to this dark cloud, it is this is the first time I’ve seen such a large group in the middle come together.”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:sigh:

I don’t have time to call my Senator today in between classes, but I’ll try anyway.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

This is exactly what it is. Whether or not this is a good deal is dependent on what they manage to do three weeks from now. I'd spend time and energy until then pressuring them into taking a unified position that correctly puts responsibility for this on the GOP, as they sure as gently caress didn't have one heading into this standoff.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The Kingfish posted:

It's a horrible loving deal. They've let the GOP off the hook for letting CHIP expire without a single political consequence.

E: what you describe as "a fine deal" is just last year's status quo plus money for Trump's wall.

Given that the Republicans are doing everything in their power to make things worse, and that they control every branch of government, maintaining the status quo is currently a win. If the wall got funding then that would lessen it, but I haven't seen anything saying that other than your assertion here. Can you source it?

Letting DREAMers get deported without major political and PR consequences for the GOP would absolutely be a huge loss for Democrats, but I think there's at least a pretty solid case that taking care of CHIP puts the Democrats in a better place in three weeks. If the Dems cave in three weeks then they can eat poo poo, but this particular deal isn't the problem.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So wait, what is the deal?

Is the deal CHIP for 3 weeks of funding, or is it wall funding and CHIP for 3 weeks?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Is the deal CHIP for 3 weeks of funding, or is it wall funding and CHIP for 3 weeks?

Nobody's been able to decipher the crayon scribbles yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

wall funding is not a part of it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If it’s CHIP for 3 weeks and nothing else I am cautiously ambivalent but the reaction from advocacy groups and unions worries me. I feel like they wouldn’t be that angry without justification.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Mornacale posted:

Given that the Republicans are doing everything in their power to make things worse, and that they control every branch of government, maintaining the status quo is currently a win. If the wall got funding then that would lessen it, but I haven't seen anything saying that other than your assertion here. Can you source it?

Letting DREAMers get deported without major political and PR consequences for the GOP would absolutely be a huge loss for Democrats, but I think there's at least a pretty solid case that taking care of CHIP puts the Democrats in a better place in three weeks. If the Dems cave in three weeks then they can eat poo poo, but this particular deal isn't the problem.

No. "Taking care of CHIP" puts the Democrats at a MASSIVE disadvantage in three weeks compared to where there were yesterday.

E:^ Unless I'm mistaken, its CHIP for eight years and the government for three weeks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’d argue that it makes us the bad guys if we’re willing to pass up an opportunity to keep 9 million children insured to use them as political hostages.

But it’s not ideal. I would’ve rather they held out longer. :(

Yeah I understand that it’s CHIP for the long-term but the government for short-term, I’m just phone posting.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

If it’s CHIP for 3 weeks and nothing else I am cautiously ambivalent but the reaction from advocacy groups and unions worries me. I feel like they wouldn’t be that angry without justification.

You already have a preview of what Democratic leadership thinks about those groups, my man.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

I’d argue that it makes us the bad guys if we’re willing to pass up an opportunity to keep 9 million children insured to use them as political hostages.

But it’s not ideal. I would’ve rather they held out longer. :(

This is the West Wing you loving rube, we aren't "the bad guys" for playing somewhat hard-ball with politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

You already have a preview of what Democratic leadership thinks about those groups, my man.

I know, which worries me.

I feel very conflicted. I think that given the opportunity to get CHIP reauthorized long-term for relatively little given away, it would’ve been wrong to not do that. They’re not our political hostages, they’re children who need healthcare.

I wish they had held out longer. They should’ve loving fought.

^ “being willing to do whatever it takes to win in the short-term” is how lovely moderates justify tacking to the center.

• Locked thread