Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Follow the directions on it? apply some to a baby toothbrush and wrestle with your cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Whether to trim or not depends on the balance between being more comfortable in the heat and having to go somewhere unfamiliar and be sedated and manhandled by strangers. Some cats handle that better than others. Matts can be prevented with brushing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Whether to trim or not depends on the balance between being more comfortable in the heat and having to go somewhere unfamiliar and be sedated and manhandled by strangers. Some cats handle that better than others. Matts can be prevented with brushing.

Cool. He’s been trimmed before, it’s more that some quick googling said that trimming might not really help with the heat (or make it harder for him to regulate his temperature.)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My cat keeps pissing in corners in our house. We have a litterbox inside and in the garage. If he does this one more time I'm returning him to the shelter because I will not force this cat to live outside. I need to know what to do to stop this because I love this cat too much.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

any tips for removing fleas from a cats fur?

our little lass has got some nasty buggers in her, we've applied a flea treatment and are catching the ones that are moving to the surface but she really doesn't like it and tries to bite when we try to remove them

she's going to the vets tomorrow to be spayed, so hoping to get some stronger stuff but it's still horrible to see her so uncomfortable

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

My cat keeps pissing in corners in our house. We have a litterbox inside and in the garage. If he does this one more time I'm returning him to the shelter because I will not force this cat to live outside. I need to know what to do to stop this because I love this cat too much.

Has he been to a vet since the inappropriate urination started? Are there any cats spraying the house outside? What interventions and cleanup have you tried?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

How often are you cleaning the box? Maybe try moving it to a different spot, or try feliway.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Looke posted:

Have you tried a flea comb?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Sorry, was at the pet store buying a bunch of stuff.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Has he been to a vet since the inappropriate urination started? Are there any cats spraying the house outside? What interventions and cleanup have you tried?

Yes. He got a vaccination two weeks ago and had a bad reaction in his leg. It took him last week to recover and now he's peeing in corners.

seiferguy posted:

How often are you cleaning the box? Maybe try moving it to a different spot, or try feliway.

Every day. We just cleaned the room where the inside one is kept and we're thinking that might have something to do with it. We are using feliway for our other cat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
What are you using to clean the pee? Is it an enzymatic cleaning product?

Also, to clarify, he was peeing in the wrong places before you took him to the vet, and the vet checked him for pee problems and also gave him an injection?

Cats can have a pretty wide variety of reasons for naughty peeing. Sometimes it's crystals, infections, diabetes, or other health issues. My oldest girl was getting a little demented and also developed arthritis, so we had to move her box upstairs to accommodate her.

Sometimes they've formed a bad association with a particular litter box or they've come to identify the wrong spot as the place to pee. Scent especially plays a role in the latter issue, so cleaning with an enzymatic cleaner can help a lot, and using feliway in concert with that should help.

The other thing is territorial marking, which can happen for a variety of reasons including other cats outside making your cat feel threatened. Cats are kinda dumb? So they don't realize that the stray outside isn't likely to come into your house and declare itself king. Discouraging outside cats from roaming your property can be a challenge.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Ah, sorry, I misread what you posted. He didn't start inappropriately peeing until after he went to the vet and recovered from the bad injection. We're wondering if replacing our washer and dryer also had something to do with it. Both cats seemed pretty bothered by them, but our other cat hasn't started inappropriately peeing.

EDIT: I did pick up some urine odor destroyer so I plan to use that on all the areas he's peed on. (That I know of)

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Given his problems with the shot, it's probably a good idea to call the vet and tell them about what's up. It's totally possible that he's gotten an infection or something. It sucks to take your cat to the vet and then turn around and go back for another bill, but it's a big step towards figuring out what has your buddy peeing outside his boxes and resolving that.

Took us a couple visits before we figured out the cause for Fatfat, but resolving the problem was kinda key to avoiding cat piss madness.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Cool. He’s been trimmed before, it’s more that some quick googling said that trimming might not really help with the heat (or make it harder for him to regulate his temperature.)

We got our fluffy cat shaved before we had a hell weekend of 40 degree celsius days and nights a few weeks ago. He was consistently sprawling out on our wooden floors (unless we had the aircon absolutely pumping) but now he's shrugging it off like it's nothing. I miss the floof, but he's really obviously more comfortable - I know that's anecdotal, but it's been a noted difference.

Also, it has the bonus of making him look absolutely stupid. Which is hilarious, and continues to be hilarious a month after the fact.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

We got our fluffy cat shaved before we had a hell weekend of 40 degree celsius days and nights a few weeks ago. He was consistently sprawling out on our wooden floors (unless we had the aircon absolutely pumping) but now he's shrugging it off like it's nothing. I miss the floof, but he's really obviously more comfortable - I know that's anecdotal, but it's been a noted difference.

Also, it has the bonus of making him look absolutely stupid. Which is hilarious, and continues to be hilarious a month after the fact.

I'm gonna need proof of this.:colbert:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Looke posted:

our little lass has got some nasty buggers in her, we've applied a flea treatment and are catching the ones that are moving to the surface but she really doesn't like it and tries to bite when we try to remove them

she's going to the vets tomorrow to be spayed, so hoping to get some stronger stuff but it's still horrible to see her so uncomfortable

The fleas you see abandoning ship are likely already about to die from exposure to whatever you dosed her with

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Thumposaurus posted:

I'm gonna need proof of this.:colbert:

can't believe I forgot about the picture tax

Before:

After:

Also, his white patch on the chest comes through when he's not shaved, but the white streaks (they look like scars but are just hair!) were brand new discoveries.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

I didn’t go too extreme with the cut, and I left his mane alone.

He has changed color now though; turns out he was a lot more grey under there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

can't believe I forgot about the picture tax

Before:

After:

Also, his white patch on the chest comes through when he's not shaved, but the white streaks (they look like scars but are just hair!) were brand new discoveries.

Oh my god thank you for this gift of knowing what my idiot would look like shaved without me having to actually get her shaved.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the info, she’s a lot more settled now. We dropped her off at the vets this morning and got a flea collar from them as well as some spray for the house

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hello, any recommendations for getting barf stains out of carpet? I had a bissell spotbot but I just broke mine. I'm tempted to get another similar replacement but there is so much I hate about the old one I'm afraid a new model will have all the same problems. Are there any spot cleaner type robot things that are not complete trash?

Or should I just be using a rag /brush and elbow grease?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

peepsalot posted:

Hello, any recommendations for getting barf stains out of carpet? I had a bissell spotbot but I just broke mine. I'm tempted to get another similar replacement but there is so much I hate about the old one I'm afraid a new model will have all the same problems. Are there any spot cleaner type robot things that are not complete trash?

Or should I just be using a rag /brush and elbow grease?

My mother and I both use vacuum cleaners with carpet washing functions (Vax). Old cats tend to vomit a fair bit and in roughly the same places so every now and again I have to clean the same patches of carpet. The vax works for me.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
After you get the barf off, just letting your cleaning agent of choice soak in for a few minutes really makes a difference. I'm partial to Nature's Miracle formulations. The upholstery safe version saved one of my chairs from a very sad end.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I rescued a pair of kittens (grey female and orange male. both around 4 months) from the snow around a month ago but circumstances out of my control mean I have to find a new home for them and life sucks as a result. Does anyone have any advice on finding a decent new owner? I've hit up my entire network of family and friends and my only possibility so far is flying one of them out to my sister in san francisco (i live in new jersey) and I'm the verge of doing it out of desperation.

Look at these guys and imagine the kind of monster that's forcing me to give them up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea why, but ever since my cat came back from an 2 night stay at the vet to get his bladder cleaned out, he's become much friendlier with other people. I've only seen him warm up to one person besides me. He used to ignore my cat-agnostic girlfriend, now he hops up on her lap and nuzzles her in the face :3:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I have no idea why, but ever since my cat came back from an 2 night stay at the vet to get his bladder cleaned out, he's become much friendlier with other people. I've only seen him warm up to one person besides me. He used to ignore my cat-agnostic girlfriend, now he hops up on her lap and nuzzles her in the face :3:

He's kissing rear end because he's worried he'll go back to that horrible vet if he doesn't behave

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

He must be much more comfortable now.

Got any cat pics? :3:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BabyFur Denny posted:

He's kissing rear end because he's worried he'll go back to that horrible vet if he doesn't behave

I was thinking that or he felt he had a near death experience and being nice to people that aren't me is actually more enjoyable than being a prick to them. Poor guy doesn't realize that he has to go to the vet next week for a follow up, but this time the doctor gave me meds to get him drunk before the visit :catdrugs:

Edit: since you asked, pictures:

He appears to have forgotten how to sit on a couch

Trying to fit into a scratching box he's too big to fit into.

Cat's name is Raiden. Has a sister named Molly.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 22, 2018

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

seiferguy posted:

Trying to fit into a scratching box he's too big to fit into.

If I sort of fits, I sort of awkwardly sits.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My 6ish month old kitty meows almost constantly. Meowing unless he's sleeping, eating, drinking, purring, huffing catnip, or actively playing, like, mid-wrestle with his sis or chasing a toy. He's got a clean bill of health from the vet. What is he on about?

The girl kitten meows almost never. He'll chase her mow mrrrow MOOOOOW-ing and she won't mew a word.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some cats meow a lot

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My 6ish month old kitty meows almost constantly. Meowing unless he's sleeping, eating, drinking, purring, huffing catnip, or actively playing, like, mid-wrestle with his sis or chasing a toy. He's got a clean bill of health from the vet. What is he on about?

The girl kitten meows almost never. He'll chase her mow mrrrow MOOOOOW-ing and she won't mew a word.

He's a kitten, kittens are unpredictable lunatics.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The best part of talkative cats is that you actually learn what they’re on about eventually. I can tell you everything Peridot is doing from the other side of the house because she has different sounds for narrating different things in her constant running commentary.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My cat meows when it’s hunting a bug and can’t reach it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A fridge magnet fell off earlier. My cat found it on the floor and made a huge racket so I'd see it. :3:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Organza Quiz posted:

The best part of talkative cats is that you actually learn what they’re on about eventually. I can tell you everything Peridot is doing from the other side of the house because she has different sounds for narrating different things in her constant running commentary.

Yep, it's a language somewhat unique to each cat, and it's a language of the type of noise rather than words-but it is a language, at least of a kind. I can tell you what any of our cats are up to/asking for/complaining about by their meows.

Also, and most of the thread likely knows this already, what's really fascinating is that aside from kittens and their moms, cats don't meow at each other very much. In adults it's a form of communication they use specifically for talking to humans! Presumably because us big clumsy bipeds don't have the gumption to properly understand real, refined cat communication.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

See I call bullshit on that because Peridot talks to Pepper constantly and hardly at all to me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SickZip posted:

I rescued a pair of kittens (grey female and orange male. both around 4 months) from the snow around a month ago but circumstances out of my control mean I have to find a new home for them and life sucks as a result. Does anyone have any advice on finding a decent new owner? I've hit up my entire network of family and friends and my only possibility so far is flying one of them out to my sister in san francisco (i live in new jersey) and I'm the verge of doing it out of desperation.

Look at these guys and imagine the kind of monster that's forcing me to give them up

I’m in NJ let me do some talking to the fiancé. Have they been seen by a vet? Also would likely only be able to take one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TY cat friends. His constant talking is cute 20/24 hours of the day, I just want to make sure it's not a sign of anything wrong with him because we are new cat parents and he is our precious firstborn.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KidDynamite posted:

I’m in NJ let me do some talking to the fiancé. Have they been seen by a vet? Also would likely only be able to take one.

They've been to the vet and recieved shots. They haven't been fixed yet but I was planning to do that in the next week.

Charlie/Orange/Small cat (i call him many things) is the friendliest kitten in the world. Catherine/Grey/Tiny cat is still a bit of a scaredy cat though and leery of people. After a couple weeks Ive got her to the point where she sleeps at the foot of my bed, meanwhile orange cat slept tucked under my chin on day one.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

TY cat friends. His constant talking is cute 20/24 hours of the day, I just want to make sure it's not a sign of anything wrong with him because we are new cat parents and he is our precious firstborn.

Diagnosis: is a cat.