Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Hahaha oh my, have you ever dealt with probate before?

I get to soon as an executor with a similar issue to the other guy and have been reading up on what to expect.

People can be shitheels, but everyone’s circumstances are different. In my case the parasite brother will go bankrupt in 3 months after I cut off the credit cards and auto-debits so I’m using that as leverage on a nice, calm, orderly inheritance. Which should work unless he goes to J. G. Wentworth and says “it’s my money and I want it now!”

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It's sad how people swarm around their dead loved one's money like vultures. Especially since if you're lovely with your own money you're definitely going to be lovely with free money.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

It's sad how people swarm around their dead loved one's money like vultures. Especially since if you're lovely with your own money you're definitely going to be lovely with free money.

My uncle died three years ago and my mother ended up being the executor for his "estate." I put it in quotes because it was worth... oh, maybe $4,000? (He died from cancer but not until after chemotherapy costs destroyed basically his entire life savings.) People in our family are STILL throwing poo poo fits about that $4,000 and how much of it should be theirs, years later, never mind what the will and the funeral bills say. I particularly love the relatives who are passing snide comments that my mother is apparently living the high life off of his $4000 when NOPE, it all went to funeral expenses and left her in the lurch for even more after that. Not a dime of help from any of them when he was alive or when funeral bills needed to be paid, but apparently they're all entitled to his furniture and spare change now that he's gone.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Dying -- BWM? GWM?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Spokes posted:

Dying -- BWM? GWM?

Don't have to worry about money once you're dead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spokes posted:

Dying -- BWM? GWM?

Good if you do it fast.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

a dingus posted:

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, the probate process tends to be obscenely protracted and dead people's money does nobody any good except for banks and lawyers while sitting around in an estate trust account.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Spokes posted:

Dying -- BWM? GWM?
There's a reason the obituaries are in the business section of the newspaper.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Don't have to worry about money once you're dead.

Starting Aftercoin, the cryto currency you can only spend after you are dead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guest Respirator posted:

Exactly this happened to my family. My BWM aunt owed my grandfather's estate something like $750k upon his death, which was more than her share after the financial crash had done its thing.

She still lawyered up and came after "her half" when he died despite the copious documentation.

Did it work?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Sundae posted:

My uncle died three years ago and my mother ended up being the executor for his "estate." I put it in quotes because it was worth... oh, maybe $4,000? (He died from cancer but not until after chemotherapy costs destroyed basically his entire life savings.) People in our family are STILL throwing poo poo fits about that $4,000 and how much of it should be theirs, years later, never mind what the will and the funeral bills say. I particularly love the relatives who are passing snide comments that my mother is apparently living the high life off of his $4000 when NOPE, it all went to funeral expenses and left her in the lurch for even more after that. Not a dime of help from any of them when he was alive or when funeral bills needed to be paid, but apparently they're all entitled to his furniture and spare change now that he's gone.

People are petty. My aunts still think I stole the car from my grandmothers estate after I took over the outstanding loan and paid the cash value appraised difference to the estate. I might add that my mother had asked for six months if any of them wanted it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sundae posted:

My dad had to deal with something similar when his mom died a little while back when he was the executor. She was not a wealthy lady by any means. She was fortunate enough to have a modest paid off house, a small retirement fund, and otherwise living mostly off of SS/Medicare. But after her last couple of years in a memory care facility her estate was effectively drained to pay for her end of life care, funeral, etc.

The other siblings thought my dad was swindling them out of their inheritance and it got kind of ugly. Didn't break up the family or anything, but it's real gross how people get about money when their family members die. Such petty squabbling over virtually nothing.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hoodwinker posted:

There's a reason the obituaries are in the business section of the newspaper.

Funeral homes have a sweet deal going as well.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Death hack: If you die in debt and no one steps up, eventually the government just eats the cost on disposal of your corpse.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Death hack: If you die in debt and no one steps up, eventually the government just eats the cost on disposal of your corpse.

Pauper burial: GWM, featured on this week's MMM blog post

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Pauper burial: GWM, featured on this week's MMM blog post

But make sure your casket is taken to the cemetery on a wacky bike trailer.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Man, I should have screenshotted the facebook status of a junior high friend who posted a video about how you don't have to pay taxes. He said that no taxation without representation (is that even part of our law? DC has no representation)

Laffo no look up the whiskey rebellion.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nail Rat posted:

But make sure your casket is taken to the cemetery on a wacky bike trailer.

Just start riding your bike to the cemetery when you feel the heart attack coming on. It saves the cost of the hospital and should finish you off, especially if it is on a steep hill.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Man, I should have screenshotted the facebook status of a junior high friend who posted a video about how you don't have to pay taxes. He said that no taxation without representation (is that even part of our law? DC has no representation) means you can choose to represent yourself and tell the IRS you owe $0.

TBF he probably doesn't make enough money for the IRS to bother coming after him, unless he and his girlfriend are still selling weed, get arrested, and that gets tacked on top.

But the IRS didn't print the tax return with 11-point Helvetica, THAT MEANS ITS NOT ENFORCEABLE!

BigDave fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 22, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ashcans posted:

If you wonder off into the wilderness your ss check will keep coming.

Guest Respirator
Mar 18, 2008

require('gravy');

kimbo305 posted:

Did it work?

The estate ended up giving her a little more money and a pile of expensive antiques to make her go away. Not cheap, but cheaper than a long legal fight. We've never heard from her again, so it feels pretty GWL in the end.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Elephanthead posted:

Imagine four blockchains on a cliff above the River Styx

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Guinness posted:

My dad had to deal with something similar when his mom died a little while back when he was the executor. She was not a wealthy lady by any means. She was fortunate enough to have a modest paid off house, a small retirement fund, and otherwise living mostly off of SS/Medicare. But after her last couple of years in a memory care facility her estate was effectively drained to pay for her end of life care, funeral, etc.

Same with my grandma. She had SS survivor benefits and the survivor benefits from a railroad pension , but by the end she had the live-in nurse for 4 years. She died at 97, and if she lived another year she would have been out of money.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Exact same thing happened with my grandmother. Live-in-nursing in an assisted living facility for Parkinson's and progressive dementia left us with just enough for the funeral and to go out to dinner as a family after.

Then again, there are 30-odd states where filial responsibility laws are on the books for children being responsible for paying back unpaid medical debt that isn't covered by the estate. So having a parent get sick and die slowly in the US can be BWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chu020 posted:

Exact same thing happened with my grandmother. Live-in-nursing in an assisted living facility for Parkinson's and progressive dementia left us with just enough for the funeral and to go out to dinner as a family after.

Then again, there are 30-odd states where filial responsibility laws are on the books for children being responsible for paying back unpaid medical debt that isn't covered by the estate. So having a parent get sick and die slowly in the US can be BWM.

Aren't those laws kind of tricky in that you have to almost actively go out of your way to be on the hook for them? I know the one I read from Pennsylvania wasn't as cut and dry as "parent die, you owe money".

For like 90+% of circumstances the debt is only attached to the estate and even then it's not often worth collecting. Most places go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and piss off when you send them the death certificate.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7sganx/planning_on_making_big_moves_need_advice_pls/

quote:

I've been a big fan of this subreddit and I've gotten lots of insight from reading posts here and I am in a dilemma rn and thought it would be wise to reach out to you all.

I do apologize if this is a bit off topic, this is my first post on here.

I'm 21 yo and live in Washington state. I have a lot of money invested into crypto right now and I'm expecting a return of roughly 200k by the end of the year. I want you to go through the entire post with the assumption of this, I do realize that crypto is volatile asf but I'm certain of my investments.

I've been going to college to get into corporate law but honestly, I think that college is just a trap. My brother in law recently offered to put 50/50 into a house in California. I've been thinking about this for quite some time and I honestly don't think there are any drawbacks in this. California has a lot of job opportunities and I could be making around 60k driving a truck and Uber a year. I know this is a huuuuuuuuuge downgrade from being a corporate lawyer but still, I'd have that much of a head start and no debt. Plus on top of that, I'd have property. We could sell the house and split 50/50 if the price rose or just rent it out and buy another house.

My brother in law is a really trust worthy person and I wouldn't be hesitant on trusting him on such a thing.

Thank you all.

I started to bold the good parts of this, but really the whole post is so WTF that I gave up.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Droo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7sganx/planning_on_making_big_moves_need_advice_pls/

I started to bold the good parts of this, but really the whole post is so WTF that I gave up.

This is the pure right here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aren't those laws kind of tricky in that you have to almost actively go out of your way to be on the hook for them? I know the one I read from Pennsylvania wasn't as cut and dry as "parent die, you owe money".

For like 90+% of circumstances the debt is only attached to the estate and even then it's not often worth collecting. Most places go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and piss off when you send them the death certificate.
Also, last I heard Pennsylvania was the only state that really enforces these laws anymore.

Which makes sense, because it's kind of hosed up to go after people for debt they never agreed to, and possibly weren't even aware of. Doubly so in cases where they haven't talked to the parents in decades due to abuse or general hostility.

Droo posted:

"I could be making around 60k driving a truck and Uber a year" is easy, but what he'd actually make is harder. (Probably not a lot, considering how many people are terrible at figuring out their real profit from uber and often effectively make minimum wage or worse, and how getting a CDL for truck driving isn't free)

I'd say more about the crypto, but I saw his username was "Harminder_the_H0dlr" so there's obviously no hope there.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Hold on to your butts, buttholders.

How I Lost Nearly 200 BTC trading this past month posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/7s8umm/how_i_lost_nearly_200_btc_trading_this_past_month/

So, long story short, I started trading a year ago, been margin longing the whole run from 1k to 19k ( sometimes closing the top, sometimes closing too early or too late, but always making profit)

I turned 3 lowly btc which I had from playing poker (at the time 3k) into nearly 200 BTC which was almost 4 million at the top and would be 2 million at current prices.

I thought I was a trading genius, a god, whatever. Anyway, this is where the sadness starts.

After the dump from 19k to 11k I went long at the bottom, and kept adding to my position on the bounce to 12k 13k, 14k. Then, at the 16k dead cat, my position was a further 100 BTC in profit. Instead of closing then and having a total 300 BTC, I increased leverage and increased my position size. This entire position was liquadated on the drop back to 12k, because my entry had moved up so much. I lost 100 btc paper profit and nearly 50 BTC margin. I was devasted, and down to 150 BTC total.

After evaluating the situation, I came to the conclusion that the pump to 16k was a dead cat and that we are going lower. Therefore I shorted. At 12k. Added at 13k. Added at 14 and 15k. Got liquidated at the top at 17k. Another 50 BTC loss. Down to 100.

Think, ok we made a higher high at 17k, uptrend back on. Went long. Got liquidated at 13k.

50 BTC left. Devastated, unsure, no clue whats going on. Sat through the drop to 9k, when we bounced I thought it could be the bottom. Longed at 11500, panic closed 10500. When we went to 13k I was kicking myself for panic closing, went long at 12800.

Liquidated this morning for my last bitcoin.

3 BTC to 200, to 0

At this time I am still in shock, the last few months Ive neglected relationships and school, and Ive been daydreaming about living the high life rich as gently caress with my millions.

Now, I am nowhere.

Posting this so others dont gamble away life changing money. Dont want donations or tips not posting an address dont PM me. I never want to hear the word btc again because I want to forget

Troll post? Who knows, but with the size of this crypto crash I'd believe it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sepherothic posted:

Hhahahahhahhaha *inhale* hahahhahahhahaha

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
At least his actual losses are only potential + maybe 3k in actual money. Way, way better than these suckers who lose their life savings.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

At least his actual losses are only potential + maybe 3k in actual money. Way, way better than these suckers who lose their life savings.

Statistically that is their life savings.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Sepherothic posted:

Sure, I've made gains of more than 6500%. But what if I got more?

Edit: it's me, I'm bad with math

crimedog fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 24, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah but think of that delta.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am shocked that gamblers don't know when to count their lucky stars and cash out. This is nothing like when my brother wins a couple grand on the early game and loses it all on the late game.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ah yes, trading BTC on margin, because the underlying isn't volatile enough.

Holy poo poo, google tells me 3x is common and 5x is possible. That's not going to end well.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SlapActionJackson posted:

Ah yes, trading BTC on margin, because the underlying isn't volatile enough.

Holy poo poo, google tells me 3x is common and 5x is possible. That's not going to end well.

If you buy the coin itself you can get 100x leverage from bitmex, fund it with payday loans

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you buy the coin itself you can get 100x leverage from bitmex, fund it with payday loans

i know a guy running a book at goldman for 1000x and 10,000x leveraged s&p 500 derivatives

"for when you're an institution but you still want to yolo"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i know a guy running a book at goldman for 1000x and 10,000x leveraged s&p 500 derivatives

"for when you're an institution but you still want to yolo"

How do I get a taste of this deliciousness?

Goldman, gimme a call dogg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Elephanthead posted:

When I die bury me in straight laced shoes
A coal black coat and Stetson hat
Put a full Satoshi on my blockchain
So the boys know that I died standing pat

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 24, 2018