Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Is this from the Turin video? It looked like the Ushabti w/ Great Bows have like an airburst arrow that leaves snakes on the ground after they hit their target?!? It was hard to tell, but if so it was super rad.

holy poo poo WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
That's awesome!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

"I'm sick of these motherfucking snakes being fired by motherfucking Anubis statues into my motherfucking army!"

Tomb Kings are amazing. :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No wonder tomb kings think they have the best archers in the world, they invented cluster munitions.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Games › Total War: Warhammer 2 - Snakes on a Plain

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Some unit comparisons for Tomb Kings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GW letting CA do whatever they want with old and busted WHFB because they got the new hotness that all the kids want, Age of Sigmar, continues to produce dividends

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

toasterwarrior posted:

holy poo poo WHAT

When the Tomb Kings talk about the blessings of Asaph, the asp goddess, making their archers better they are not loving kidding.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I tried to play Tyrion's start in Mortal Empires and I don't think I've got it in me.

I unified Ulthuan, started the invasion of Naggaroth and made good inroads vs Morathi before checking the short campaign objectives in further detail and seeing that I also had to destroy Naggarond. I checked the map, took one hard look at exactly how far I was going to have to wade through Dark Elves (and only loving Dark Elves) to accomplish that objective, and quit the game.

Am I misreading this, or is Tyrion's intended midgame really a 50-turn hellwar against a single faction?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Voyager I posted:

I tried to play Tyrion's start in Mortal Empires and I don't think I've got it in me.

I unified Ulthuan, started the invasion of Naggaroth and made good inroads vs Morathi before checking the short campaign objectives in further detail and seeing that I also had to destroy Naggarond. I checked the map, took one hard look at exactly how far I was going to have to wade through Dark Elves (and only loving Dark Elves) to accomplish that objective, and quit the game.

Am I misreading this, or is Tyrion's intended midgame really a 50-turn hellwar against a single faction?

I just completed a Tyrion Mortal Empires game. I kept my sanity in the Dark Elf Campaign by only sending one army over to fight them. I kept one at home to block norse/chaos and rebels, and send my third army to the Old World to start beating up Skaven and Vampires.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The tl;dr for this video, and a lot of the Tomb Kings battle reports we're seeing, is that TK units are mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. Ushabti are basically bestigors and are pretty good in that role, especially in multiplayer where they're quite point-efficient. Ushabti with Great Bows are really good, putting out a ton of damage at 255 range, with cluster munition arrows that have knockdown against infantry - the only reason you wouldn't take them is if they're going to get sniped by cannons, as they're Large units and thus easy targets. Necrosphynxes are slightly better (albeit slower) dragon ogres, and serve that role well. Tomb Scorpions are an armor-piercing anti-infantry unit with an attack animation that fucks up infantry formations hard - it's looking like a niche pick that does well against dwarves and dark elves. They also have a Rusty Arrers equivalent RoR for Skeleton Archers, which makes a heavily armored unit very vulnerable, very fast.

Everything else in their roster we've seen tested has been underwhelming compared to their equivalents in other races. Notable disappointment: the Casket of Souls, both as a standalone unit and as an add-on to Khatep. It's a garbage artillery piece with terrible accuracy, you take it only for the Winds reserve boost it gives.

Surprisingly, we haven't seen anyone test the Tomb King Chariot Swarm. Settra's chariot charge is weirdly bad, and there's some speculation that chariots as a whole have been nerfed, but I hold out hope that their ridiculously high-model chariot unit can be viable.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kestral posted:

Surprisingly, we haven't seen anyone test the Tomb King Chariot Swarm. Settra's chariot charge is weirdly bad, and there's some speculation that chariots as a whole have been nerfed, but I hold out hope that their ridiculously high-model chariot unit can be viable.

I'm wondering if this is because skeleton horses have really low mass.

I'd not be surprised if the 12 model skeleton chariot unit has the same combined mass as an orc boar chariot unit.

Nerfing chariots in the same patch that releases a faction heavily based on a historical army that mainly used chariots would be depressing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Nice. There's a TK legendary lord comparison here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kestral posted:

The tl;dr for this video, and a lot of the Tomb Kings battle reports we're seeing, is that TK units are mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. Ushabti are basically bestigors and are pretty good in that role, especially in multiplayer where they're quite point-efficient. Ushabti with Great Bows are really good, putting out a ton of damage at 255 range, with cluster munition arrows that have knockdown against infantry - the only reason you wouldn't take them is if they're going to get sniped by cannons, as they're Large units and thus easy targets. Necrosphynxes are slightly better (albeit slower) dragon ogres, and serve that role well. Tomb Scorpions are an armor-piercing anti-infantry unit with an attack animation that fucks up infantry formations hard - it's looking like a niche pick that does well against dwarves and dark elves. They also have a Rusty Arrers equivalent RoR for Skeleton Archers, which makes a heavily armored unit very vulnerable, very fast.

Everything else in their roster we've seen tested has been underwhelming compared to their equivalents in other races. Notable disappointment: the Casket of Souls, both as a standalone unit and as an add-on to Khatep. It's a garbage artillery piece with terrible accuracy, you take it only for the Winds reserve boost it gives.

A lot of this is also counterbalanced by their unique army mechanic that procs healing as Skeletons die and gives a free Ushabti summon at tier 3. It gives their units more longevity than you would expect and lets them punch above their weight since you get free entire army healing.

Their lore also triggers army wide healing while casting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

12 fuckin chariots in a unit I still can’t believe it

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What I really want to see is them taking all the skills, item, and battle parts of the game and dropping it in a completely different game. The campaign part just feels comparably lacking.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nice. There's a TK legendary lord comparison here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

Some campaign details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80ZX2gGb64

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

genericnick posted:

What I really want to see is them taking all the skills, item, and battle parts of the game and dropping it in a completely different game. The campaign part just feels comparably lacking.

It sounds like you should join the goon tournament.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

genericnick posted:

Just play multiplayer dog

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also for people needing to brush up on them, here's a good Lore video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsY4xyRc76w

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Zore posted:

A lot of this is also counterbalanced by their unique army mechanic that procs healing as Skeletons die and gives a free Ushabti summon at tier 3. It gives their units more longevity than you would expect and lets them punch above their weight since you get free entire army healing.

Their lore also triggers army wide healing while casting.

Lore of Nehekara spam is definitely going to be A Thing. The question at the moment is whether the Realm of Souls healing is actually meaningful, or just a lengthy countdown to a free unit of bestigor-equivalents - it's not exactly Murderous Prowess.

Edit:

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm wondering if this is because skeleton horses have really low mass.

I'd not be surprised if the 12 model skeleton chariot unit has the same combined mass as an orc boar chariot unit.

This would actually fit with what we're seeing with Settra's lackluster charges. His chariot impact was negligible, and since he's using a blinged-up Tomb Kings chariot, it's entirely possible that he's impacting with 1/12th of a "normal" chariot.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 22, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kestral posted:

This would actually fit with what we're seeing with Settra's lackluster charges. His chariot impact was negligible, and since he's using a blinged-up Tomb Kings chariot, it's entirely possible that he's impacting with 1/12th of a "normal" chariot.

I'm sure I heard CA say in a stream that they changed something with TK chariots so that they don't get bogged down in combat and just smash through infantry.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kestral posted:

Lore of Nehekara spam is definitely going to be A Thing. The question at the moment is whether the Realm of Souls healing is actually meaningful, or just a lengthy countdown to a free unit of bestigor-equivalents - it's not exactly Murderous Prowess.

It doesn't effect your constructs, which seem to constitute the bulk of tomb kings useful units.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

V for Vegas posted:

Games › Total War: Warhammer 2 - Snakes on a Plain

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2: Walk like an Egyptian

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

It sounds like you should join the goon tournament.

Rygar201 posted:

Just play multiplayer dog

But I like collecting stuff and seeing my toy soldiers improve.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kestral posted:

Yeah, I'm not super worried about Tomb Kings being good. Beastmen went from incredibly mediocre at release to really good now, so even if they are undertuned (and I'm not sure we have enough data to determine that right now) there are a lot of really interesting places they could be bumped up to keep their flavor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Am I misreading this, or is Ulthuan's history really a 50-century hellwar against a single faction?

You are not misreading this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tomb Kings' whole gimmick is having trash level skeleton guys with cool monsters. They're still an undead faction. They trade some of the raw hitting power of VC monstrous units and characters for more flexibility (see monstrous archers), and they have stronger lord buffs than VC. But they still default to the monster hammer and skeleton anvil tactic.

CA will tune and tinker but don't expect skeletons to trade well with any faction that brings heavy infantry by default, even with strong lord buffs. That's just not their deal.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

genericnick posted:

But I like collecting stuff and seeing my toy soldiers improve.

Realistically CA should just reintroduce Avatar Conquest mode from Shogun 2

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Im a poo poo player thats is terrible at this game. How do I joint he tournament and what should I do to not commit any rules breaking?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

Tomb Kings' whole gimmick is having trash level skeleton guys with cool monsters. They're still an undead faction. They trade some of the raw hitting power of VC monstrous units and characters for more flexibility (see monstrous archers), and they have stronger lord buffs than VC. But they still default to the monster hammer and skeleton anvil tactic.

CA will tune and tinker but don't expect skeletons to trade well with any faction that brings heavy infantry by default, even with strong lord buffs. That's just not their deal.

I think Khalida and the archers from hell strategy will have a solid niche, at least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ProZocK posted:

Im a poo poo player thats is terrible at this game. How do I joint he tournament and what should I do to not commit any rules breaking?

This is the discord:

https://discordapp.com/channels/187981150772264960/187981150772264960

This is the tourney:

http://challonge.com/b37ymgv0

I've played 2 MP games ever and they were just gimmicky ones, so I'll get smashed but who cares. The rules are on the Challonge front page.

e: actually cans omeone clarify what this means

-Both players must attack. Single-entity units by themselves do not count as attacking unless they are the only thing left, in which case they may not retreat from melee. Artillery units (inc. Cygors, Luminarks etc) count as attacking, but single-entity non-artillery units such as Glade Lords or spellcasters don't.

I assume it means you have to move up? If I want to ring of steel my dwarfs is that frowned on?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

Their skeletons aren't even half bad for what they are, dudes like the Warriors can actually take on a unit of Bleakswords and win. But yea, their infantry is not supposed to be your main source of damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I haven't seen anyone test out Warshpinx. How are they, they look rad as gently caress and they're supposedly an anti-infantry unit.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
that link to the discord doesn't work. I would like to sign up for the tourney though. My steam name is sharzak.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Taste my autoresolved wrath, Surtha!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gay Horney posted:

that link to the discord doesn't work. I would like to sign up for the tourney though. My steam name is sharzak.

Works for me in browser. Try https://discord.gg/UxZKY4

The group is Total War Goonfights

E: VVVV i probably hosed up because I don't know how things work

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Thanks I tried the first link on mobile in the app then finally on pc and none of em worked

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
That invitation was set to expire after 24 hours because discord is weird like that, here's an invite link that's permanent:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

It makes a lot of sense.

Am I the only one who noticed that Gnashrak's Lair is the Red Eye capital but Gnashrak the warboss leads the Bloody Spearz in game? Also, I had no idea that city was an actual spot on a Warhammer map!