Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

how big is netflix in japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Was close to dropping this after the second episode, but I powered through trusting Yuasa's vision and boy did he ever deliver. Binged the back half of the show in one day and loved every moment of it. Glad I didn't really try to complain anywhere earlier, because when the series is taken as a whole my complaints are bad and wrong.

So glad this didn't air weekly, or I might not have stuck through this extremely good and gay anime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Devilman no Uta: Do You Remember Love?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The Devilman hipsters are O.K. in my book because original devilman fanart is good too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Protodevlinman.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Motto posted:

Protoculture

If you don't know the culture, here's the whole structure

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

BaDandy posted:

that logic is absolutely buckwild because that'd also have to apply to Studio Trigger because Little Witch Academia is a Netflix anime, and it doesn't because Trigger branched off from Gainax

What exactly does this prove?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LWA is so foreign influenced, not only is it inspired by Harry Potter it's also a Marxist allegory.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

how big is netflix in japan?

no idea but they produce and buy licenses to a ton of japanese live action dramas/terrace house. devilman was promoted super hard, up to them holding a real sabbath party last month.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dogsicle posted:

no idea but they produce and buy licenses to a ton of japanese live action dramas/terrace house. devilman was promoted super hard, up to them holding a real sabbath party last month.

Did they really need to re-enact the drug-fueled murders though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Did they really need to re-enact the drug-fueled murders though?

If there ain’t at least one dude getting his head bitten off by shapeshifting demonic titties, it ain’t a proper party.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

dogsicle posted:

devilman was promoted super hard, up to them holding a real sabbath party last month.

....Go on.

After watching this and reading about the influences this had, holy poo poo that is incredible. I enjoyed the story and it got the point across but I really wish it lasted longer. The sex stuff though is pretty over the top but I get it. I LOL'd IRL at the end Akira, I'm Satan **BOOOM**
Angel wings and titties!
It is pretty amazing though that several series essentially rip off the story whole sale like Shin Megami Tensei. I'm interested to see where this would go from here if Go will continue it or we'll get another series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I was reading sone stuff about Monster Rancher the other day, and ended up going ‘hey, isn’t that basically Silene and Kaim’s story that they did there?’.

This poo poo is pervasive.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/PostCultRev/status/955487565632581632

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yuasa got asked a question about the international vs. otaku issue in his AMA thread.

quote:

in light of some recent discussion about your works in certain critical circles, as well as some of your recent successes in international film festivals and crossover projects like Adventure Time, would you consider yourself more of a director for a world market than an otaku anime director? If so, do you believe it’s in the best interest of the industry to follow your lead as far as reaching out to international audiences?

quote:

Thank you very much for that comment. I started out working on very popular television programs, such as Crayon Shin chan and Chibi Maruko Chan. So I think from the beginning I was working on a popular level. As a director of films I have gotten some good reviews, but some of these comments are that my films are not for everyone. But now I am thinking of a wider audience, as I still want to make films that I am interested in. For me, it is not a matter of if the otaku anime fans are the ones who are interested in my films. And I find that what is interesting to Japanese audiences, seem also be interesting to a worldwide audience. I used to think that foreign audiences were different from Japanese audiences, because of networking and more availability to the international audience I think that difference has become much less, and it seems that what is interesting to a Japanese audience is also interesting to a worldwide audience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the reason I liked Crybaby so much is that whenever I try to get into an “Otaku” Anime I invariably meet a character whose role/motivations totally go over my head. I ask people “why is this cat witch girl so horny and annoying?” and they go “Oh that’s a Shoinjin (I made this word up), she’s the traditional horny cat witch it’s very Japanese.” and I just tank my interest immediately because I just doubt I’ll ever understand her role or why it matters.

Crybaby didn’t have that for me. Even while I didn’t understand the concept of Super-High Schooler, I understand the dudes character, his arc, his boyfriend, there was no mystery. Everyone in Crybaby shows up and does their job without anyone needing to fill in the gaps. That’s probably part of its success.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think super-high schooler is really a thing. koda just got it as a nickname for being a ridiculously accomplished track athlete because of his devil transformation. but yeah i can think of shows that trade heavily in anime archetypes or tropes that might come off alienating.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They called Miki a super-high schooler too, so I read it as star athlete.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Crybaby is a Danganronpa spinoff

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So over the past week my gf and I went from being vaguely aware that Devilman is some old series to watching all of Crybaby, preordering the original manga's rerelease, are currently watching the ovas, and planning to watch the vs Cyborg 009 movie since it's also on netflix.

Anything else Devilman branded worth checking out? I know to avoid Lady.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nice! What did you think of the OVAs? Don't forget to watch the Chibi world after,same studio and style!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman is another one
Though they way the made it, it comes across a lot more like a shonen battle anime.
What with all the dust settles -> BAKANA?! -> person revealed by dust is smirking

What im trying to say its mired in that style of presentation and it suffers for it.

That being said:
Cool thing #135569 about crybaby
The fights are short, brutal and the hits all have an impact. None of the ATATATAT renzoku no back n forth

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 23, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the reason I liked Crybaby so much is that whenever I try to get into an “Otaku” Anime I invariably meet a character whose role/motivations totally go over my head. I ask people “why is this cat witch girl so horny and annoying?” and they go “Oh that’s a Shoinjin (I made this word up), she’s the traditional horny cat witch it’s very Japanese.” and I just tank my interest immediately because I just doubt I’ll ever understand her role or why it matters.

Crybaby didn’t have that for me. Even while I didn’t understand the concept of Super-High Schooler, I understand the dudes character, his arc, his boyfriend, there was no mystery. Everyone in Crybaby shows up and does their job without anyone needing to fill in the gaps. That’s probably part of its success.

drat, this poo poo really was made for western audiences

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Though they way the made it, it comes across a lot more like a shonen battle anime.
What with all the dust settles -> BAKANA?! -> person revealed by dust is smirking

What im trying to say its mired in that style of presentation and it suffers for it.

Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman has a few things it does really well. The Makimura Massacre is the creepiest of all the depictions, its version of Jenny is also the creepiest, and there's the scene where Amon throws a demon through a skyscraper with a train.

Other than that it just comes off as edgy for its own sake, like any other 90s OVA. It's impossible to even tell what's going on unless you come in being familiar with the source material. It's quintessential "otaku" anime.

Come to think about it, it is interesting how the Devilman franchise has taken on the qualities of a bible. All the anime adaptations are basically different depictions of the same events, like how in the gospels subsequent books tell the same stories as in the original slightly differently. Not many properties get that kind of treatment, and I wonder if it inspired the incorporation of Christian religious themes into Crybaby in ways that are substantial, and not just aesthetic like in other anime.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 23, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xinder posted:

So over the past week my gf and I went from being vaguely aware that Devilman is some old series to watching all of Crybaby, preordering the original manga's rerelease, are currently watching the ovas, and planning to watch the vs Cyborg 009 movie since it's also on netflix.

Anything else Devilman branded worth checking out? I know to avoid Lady.

I hear Devilman Grimoire is pretty good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Other than that it just comes off as edgy for its own sake, like any other 90s OVA. It's impossible to even tell what's going on unless you come in being familiar with the source material.

I mean, this is partly a fair point, but it's also a little silly since Amon, from what I understand, is supposed to be a late conclusion to the Birth/Demon Bird OVAs rather than its own thing (people seem to be under the impression that it's an adaptation of the Amon manga, but it's absolutely not and is really more of a tweaked version of the original manga's last volume or so). Yeah, if you jump into the ending without watching the first two beforehand, it's gonna be a little incomprehensible, but I think you can basically watch the 3 OVAs as a piece and more or less understand what's going on.

e: also, honestly, to the person asking for Devilman recs, you've more or less exhausted the stuff that people are gonna rec you without massive cautions. Lady is the worst about it, but this is a franchise that gets Pretty loving Nasty at times (Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman is the only anime I've ever seen where the protagonist eats a loving baby on-camera).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 23, 2018

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
90's ovas were the bess, look at how popular OPM was, that's basically what it was.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think anyone's gonna disagree with that, the 80s and 90s were a loving magical time for anime and OVAs were where most of that ended up shining through.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

What kind of stuff have you tried watching before?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, holy gently caress, TVTropes just informed me that Go Nagai did a really faithful manga version of the Inferno part of The Divine Comedy. Has this ever been translated? I need to inject all of that into my eyeballs right the gently caress now.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Alan_Shore posted:

Nice! What did you think of the OVAs? Don't forget to watch the Chibi world after,same studio and style!

The OVAs were good and fun, but (and maybe this is bias from seeing Crybaby first) I felt like I enjoyed all the changes Yuasa made more. I think he improved the feel and flow of the series a lot with what he did.

I still enjoyed the OVAs tho, and I'm glad they exist.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'll put that and the chibi world on our list and I guess that'll be it for our Devilman dive. Kinda interested in Violence Jack, tho. Is the manga for that any good?

I really like this series and it's incredible how it feels like everything has taken inspiration from Devilman in some shape or form.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Does anyone have an mp3/youtube of the intro theme? Every link I find on youtube is...not it, or it's taken down. It appears to be the track called Man Human (but I could be wrong).

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
The violence jack ova's are really not good, especially the first one. The other two are watchable but holy crap is the first one a low budget train wreck.

Bloodyshinta1 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 24, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh, holy gently caress, TVTropes just informed me that Go Nagai did a really faithful manga version of the Inferno part of The Divine Comedy. Has this ever been translated? I need to inject all of that into my eyeballs right the gently caress now.

When they say "faithful," they mean that he plagiarizes Gustave Dore engravings like a hack.

e: To be fair, it's something that deserves to be plagiarized.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 23, 2018

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

SMP posted:

Does anyone have an mp3/youtube of the intro theme? Every link I find on youtube is...not it, or it's taken down. It appears to be the track called Man Human (but I could be wrong).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8L_969GH-A
I think the song might be region-locked in the US? You can find it on Spotify, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hear Devilman Grimoire is pretty good.

Oh man that one has an A+++ psycho jenny

Also the 1972 original has some pretty good frames

DEVIL EYEBROW

Beautiful Silene.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 23, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

what

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well Zenon is literally just Satan from Inferno. Makes sense he likes it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"What's this demon man and why is he so horny?"
"oh it's a 'debiruman' it's VERY japanese'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
tl note: debiru means akuma

• Locked thread