Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Peachfart posted:

Its this. US policy demands that all Presidents kill civilians, I'm not happy about it, but it is reality.

Maybe consider changing that policy then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Argas posted:

The answer is that much of the world is built on the exploitation of others and we'll enforce it via violence. It's good if you're not okay with it but changing one important cog in the machine isn't going to suddenly change things.

I mean we could suddenly change things by not having a president who drone strikes people constantly.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Lemme get right on that.

GodFish posted:

I mean we could suddenly change things by not having a president who drone strikes people constantly.

Because dude had the joystick in his hands laughing maniacally.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

FRINGE posted:

(Who will of course be articulate and 'cool'.)

Yo, gently caress off with this. You can criticize Obama without blowing the dog whistle, c'mon now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah how about we stop.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Sure, I will bring it up at the next illuminati meeting.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

inkblot posted:

Yo, gently caress off with this. You can criticize Obama without blowing the dog whistle, c'mon now.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Obama followed Bush The Confused, and was followed by The Orange Clown.

gently caress off with your desperate WOKE isms.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Did you guys also notice tje (((banker puppet))). It was nice and subtle. I almost didn't notice until.someone pointed out "articulate."

Or he could also seriously talking about the lovely Democratic politicians in this counfry that ARE wall street puppets but don't talk like idiots the way GWB Jr and DJT do. They have far more acceptable social views than the republicans but are just as commited to loving working people of any color.

Its a hard call.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Peachfart posted:

Sure, I will bring it up at the next illuminati meeting.

Or like, we could build a mass anti-war movement like was necessary to make the US withdraw from Vietnam.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

therobit posted:

Did you guys also notice tje (((banker puppet))). It was nice and subtle. I almost didn't notice until.someone pointed out "articulate."

Or he could also seriously talking about the lovely Democratic politicians in this counfry that ARE wall street puppets but don't talk like idiots the way GWB Jr and DJT do. They have far more acceptable social views than the republicans but are just as commited to loving working people of any color.

Its a hard call.

Obama liked to run finance people as Chief of Staff.
https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/04/rahm-emanuel-and-magnetar-capital-the-definition-of-compromised.html
https://www.propublica.org/article/obamas-new-chief-of-staff-a-top-banker-with-strong-chamber-ties

And lets not get started on little Timmy Geithner.

His admin brought 0 cases against wall street criminals, and he oversaw a massive handout to the banker class.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/12/henhouse-meet-fox-wall-street-washington-obama/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/23/untouchables-wall-street-prosecutions-obama

Yeah he was way better than Bush or Clinton when they did what they could to keep the war and finance machines happy.

Oh wait, Clinton the economic hero? Yeah hes the guy that set the economy up to crash later on.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/

Its fun seeing the "Im offended" machine kick off so easily when no one knows what any of the last half dozen Presidents actually did, except "this team" and "that team".

Here Ill make you more mad. You know who did actually roast some finance criminals? CIA Bush.
http://billmoyers.com/2013/09/17/hundreds-of-wall-street-execs-went-to-prison-during-the-last-fraud-fueled-bank-crisis/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FRINGE posted:

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010/04/rahm-emanuel-and-magnetar-capital-the-definition-of-compromised.html
https://www.propublica.org/article/obamas-new-chief-of-staff-a-top-banker-with-strong-chamber-ties

His admin brought 0 cases against wall street criminals, and he oversaw a massive handout to the banker class.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/12/henhouse-meet-fox-wall-street-washington-obama/
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/23/untouchables-wall-street-prosecutions-obama

Yeah he was way better than Bush or Clinton when they did what they could to keep the war and finance machines happy.

Oh wait, Clinton the economic hero? Yeah hes the guy that set the economy up to crash later on.

Its fun seeing the "Im offended" machine kick off so easily when no one knows what any of the last half dozen Presidents actually did, except "this team" and "that team".

Here Ill make you more mad. You know who did actually roast some finance criminals? CIA Bush.
http://billmoyers.com/2013/09/17/hundreds-of-wall-street-execs-went-to-prison-during-the-last-fraud-fueled-bank-crisis/

I was pointing out how it can be hard to tell the difference. I don't disagree about Clinton and Bush and Trump sucking donkey dicks. The dog whistles have bled into legitimate concerns, and a lot of people can't wait to fire up the outrage machine.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Is it at all possible that the people in charge aren't all monsters? I guess if you ignore all the good that was done by Obama and Clinton you could consider them monsters. Personally my life and the life of those around me have only been hurt by the likes of Trump, GWB and Bush Sr., but good things did happen under Obama and Clinton. I don't know of any programs or policies that improved under "that team", despite your assertion that they're the same.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Is it at all possible that the people in charge aren't all monsters?

Not yet.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ElCondemn posted:

Is it at all possible that the people in charge aren't all monsters? I guess if you ignore all the good that was done by Obama and Clinton you could consider them monsters. Personally my life and the life of those around me have only been hurt by the likes of Trump, GWB and Bush Sr., but good things did happen under Obama and Clinton. I don't know of any programs or policies that improved under "that team", despite your assertion that they're the same.

Basically what you are saying here is that only you and your close circle of friends matter. All the people killed by the policies of your favorites, well they don't count as people I guess.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

You'd be hard pressed to find a President that did nothing that didn't have at least some benefit to you. It's basically functionally impossible.

For example, Bush (GWB) was the first President to issue guidance that all Federal Law Enforcement agencies ban racial profiling. Obama usually gets a lot of credit for it because he campaigned on the idea, but never actually got any follow through or even issued an executive order to replace the guidance. I mean, unless you support racial profiling, then I suppose this example doesn't count.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Jesus gently caress this is juvenile. We're in D&D, is there really no better thread for your sophist slapfight?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm sure nobody remembers but about a year ago I said I was saving up to move to the PNW.

I did so in October. Drove all the way to Portland, then went to check out Seattle, and now back in Portland.

I finally managed to land a somewhat stable job two weeks ago.

Things are going well and I'm enjoying it here so far.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Lemme get right on that.

Because dude had the joystick in his hands laughing maniacally.

I'm sure the president has nothing to do with our countries military policy and actually didn't want to do drone strikes or to stay in Iraq and Afghanistan but the mean old army wouldn't listen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yeah my "favorite" example is when banks got caught engaged in money laundering for Latin American drug cartels and loving goddamned Eric Holder made up some bullshit about how the market might take a tumble if they started prosecuting those executives because they're just so darn important.

Also the time when Obama said we "mustn't be too sanctimonious" about American officers literally torturing prisoners to death.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm sure nobody remembers but about a year ago I said I was saving up to move to the PNW.

I did so in October. Drove all the way to Portland, then went to check out Seattle, and now back in Portland.

Congratulations.

We never forget.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where are you from so we know how much to hate you?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

therobit posted:

Where are you from so we know how much to hate you?

40 miles north of Chicago.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Out of curiosity, what brought you out this way?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Out of curiosity, what brought you out this way?

I always wanted to move out West so I decided to try out PNW. I initially had Seattle set in mind, but chose Portland due to it being less cluttered and not as expensive.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia please say portlandia

What's "Portlandia"?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's "Portlandia"?

OK you can stay.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

OK you can stay.

even after

punk rebel ecks posted:

Portland... less cluttered and not as expensive.

??

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

even after

??

I mean Portland isn't as expensive as where I was before and was less expensive than what I can't across in Seattle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
That new Amazon grocery store doesn't take food stamps.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

anthonypants posted:

That new Amazon grocery store doesn't take food stamps.

This blows but tbh we should just be doing direct cash transfers to the poor instead of doing food stamps

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

whomupclicklike posted:

This blows but tbh we should just be doing direct cash transfers to the poor instead of doing food stamps

Yes, but we are nowhere near giving transfers of that nature. So in the meantime let's not gently caress over their one good way to get their food.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

seiferguy posted:

Yes, but we are nowhere near giving transfers of that nature. So in the meantime let's not gently caress over their one good way to get their food.

I don't disagree with you my dude I think the Amazon shops should take EBT. it can't be that hard

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

whomupclicklike posted:

I don't disagree with you my dude I think the Amazon shops should take EBT. it can't be that hard

it's incredibly easy, transactions can be processed through existing POS systems. there is no way this is simply 'oversight,' they knew from the jump that they'd be excluding people from shopping there by not providing a system to accept SNAP and probably thought either "hmm, let's see if we can get away with this" or "we'll apologize after the initial rush subsides, will implement, then will try to get a win on something that should have never been a question in the first place"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Peachfart posted:

Why would I buy a Subway sandwich when actual good sub places exist?
Subway loving sucks.
And of course Reason.com blames the poor for getting a slightly closer to living wage.
Every grocery store has a deli counter that will make you a better, cheaper sandwich than Subway. I will never understand Subway.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Every grocery store has a deli counter that will make you a better, cheaper sandwich than Subway. I will never understand Subway.
Are you familiar with the phrase "food desert"

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

LividLiquid posted:

it's all about familiarity. people gravitate toward experiences they are comfortable with- if you like the number 6 with chips and a drink you can get that at every single subway location across the country (and lord knows there are plenty of them). the homogenization of franchise business is entirely designed around this concept.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Are you familiar with the phrase "food desert"

Most Subway's are in the suburbs where there are grocery stores everywhere.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

have none of y'all yet considered that going to a subway is a lot quicker than going into a grocery store

George
Nov 27, 2004

Nothing is easier than never going to Subway at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DevNull posted:

Basically what you are saying here is that only you and your close circle of friends matter. All the people killed by the policies of your favorites, well they don't count as people I guess.

I'm not saying that, you're just making poo poo up. I'm saying that Obama and Clinton had policies that directly affected people like me positively, meanwhile the "other side" is actively attacking people like me. I'm sure you'll twist it into me being complicit in the murder of children or whatever but I think it's really disingenuous to pretend like there's no difference between the parties and the platforms they endorse.

nessin posted:

You'd be hard pressed to find a President that did nothing that didn't have at least some benefit to you. It's basically functionally impossible.

For example, Bush (GWB) was the first President to issue guidance that all Federal Law Enforcement agencies ban racial profiling. Obama usually gets a lot of credit for it because he campaigned on the idea, but never actually got any follow through or even issued an executive order to replace the guidance. I mean, unless you support racial profiling, then I suppose this example doesn't count.

I am pretty hard pressed to find policies that GWB enacted that positively impacted me or people like me. Clearly this means that I'm pro-racial profiling, but maybe you can find something he did to directly improve the lives of the poor, minorities or other underrepresented classes because as I said I am having trouble finding anything.