Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People don't make modpacks for Bethesda games for some reason. Its mostly out of respect for individual modders but you'd think one douchebag would go against the grain and make one anyway

I think it's more that the mod ecosystem is developed to the point where you can drop in your preferred stuff relatively safely (barring script conflicts) particularly with the use of mod managers, so there's no particular draw to a monolithic mod pack especially if there's parts of it you don't want and it's near impossible to remove pieces cleanly. Doesn't stop the giant 'overhaul' mods but they tend to included a hundred gigs of stuff you don't really care about at the end of the day and you gotta waste time and disk space downloading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

People don't make modpacks for Bethesda games for some reason. Its mostly out of respect for individual modders but you'd think one douchebag would go against the grain and make one anyway

There are several for Skyrim, actually. Notably Skyrim Perfectly Modded and I myself having been playing a bunch of Ultimate Skyrim lately. It's a tremendous pain though, because the aforementioned modding drama culture prohibits packaging the files together, so a "mod pack" ends up just being an enormous list of things you have to install manually. I know some of the US guys are nearing completion on a tool that will at least install the things for you, but you'll still have to go to the nexus and manually download all ~300 mods.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone ever throw together a big massive mod pack for this game?

Not that I'm aware of. Horizon kinda functions like a miniature modpack, because it makes changes on a level that something like Ultimate Skyrim requires dozens of mods and several custom patches to pull off, but it doesn't really touch things like aesthetics and expansions that you would normally associate with a true mod pack.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Terrorforge posted:

There are several for Skyrim, actually. Notably Skyrim Perfectly Modded and I myself having been playing a bunch of Ultimate Skyrim lately. It's a tremendous pain though, because the aforementioned modding drama culture prohibits packaging the files together, so a "mod pack" ends up just being an enormous list of things you have to install manually. I know some of the US guys are nearing completion on a tool that will at least install the things for you, but you'll still have to go to the nexus and manually download all ~300 mods.

When I think modpack I think one download, one installer. You're describing a mod guide.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

When I think modpack I think one download, one installer. You're describing a mod guide.

I’d like to suggest it would be a waste to ignore the STEP guide for Skyrim and all its offshoots because it’s a guide instead of an installer. There’s hundreds and hundreds of man hours out into that guide. You should take advantage of that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, but his point is that the reason that doesn't exist is because mod authors have gotten really loving petty and freak out if anyone tries to do that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, but his point is that the reason that doesn't exist is because mod authors have gotten really loving petty and freak out if anyone tries to do that.

Eh, I think they have a point. The people who get off their rear end and learn how to make the mods do it for little more than Internet Fame Points and they won't even get that if it's largely-anonymously chucked in a pack that you can blindly install. If they can't get their name out, then it'd be unlikely that they'd get a paid gig with the Creation Club, even if it is only a single job.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Melee in general is quite effective in horizon especially if you get one of the very big weapons like the big axe or the thermic lance.

The Killamajig (a Horizon weapon, looks like a bat with a bunch of garbgae on it) works wonders, especially against synths if you can get the drop on them. The "quality" only seems to affect like 2-5 points of damage or so whereas upgrades can tack on an extra 40-50 so condition isn't really important.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But by remaking in the lab you can give it ~ +20% base damage and an ability (vats discount, bonus vs uninjured, etc) as well as being undamaged.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

LashLightning posted:

Eh, I think they have a point. The people who get off their rear end and learn how to make the mods do it for little more than Internet Fame Points and they won't even get that if it's largely-anonymously chucked in a pack that you can blindly install. If they can't get their name out, then it'd be unlikely that they'd get a paid gig with the Creation Club, even if it is only a single job.

The conflict isn't actually over attribution, otherwise it would be easy to resolve. The problem is modders who want people to ask them for "permission" to use, derive from, or distribute stuff. You would end up in a similarly constipated situation if open source projects started demanding that anyone consuming their work asked for permission, and I guess even demanding other projects shut down because they were working on the same problem (this happens with mods on the Nexus).

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Seashell Salesman posted:

The conflict isn't actually over attribution, otherwise it would be easy to resolve. The problem is modders who want people to ask them for "permission" to use, derive from, or distribute stuff. You would end up in a similarly constipated situation if open source projects started demanding that anyone consuming their work asked for permission, and I guess even demanding other projects shut down because they were working on the same problem (this happens with mods on the Nexus).

Freelance free-time modders vary widely in quality, but I submit that the BethSoft mod community is in general less toxic than Minecraft modders. You don't find Skyrim Modder A putting in code to kill your game if it detects the existence of Modder B's work in memory.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gonkish posted:

There are plenty of compilation mod packs on the Nexus? I doubt that the vast majority of the community gives a poo poo.

LashLightning posted:

I think that you might be retarded, actually.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

turn off the TV posted:

I think that you might be retarded, actually.

That's a bit rough, now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Seashell Salesman posted:

That's a bit rough, now.

Oh sorry, I should have said intellectually disabled.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LashLightning posted:

LOL If people mod in hope for paid gigs, they are dumb and that is exactly why they get super angry and petty over dumb poo poo. People should seriously stop deluding themselves with that thought. They'd be a lot happier for it. Trying to make it like a job application is just going to turn it into horrible, stressful work that they don't ever get paid for.

That's why you mod, you mod for fun. If you do it for internet fame points or money, you 100% will burn the gently caress out. Because you aren't going to get either of those things.

EDIT: That reminds me, is the Creation Club seriously not dead yet? I haven't heard anything new from it since they finally patched it so it would stop downloading every single mod every time it's updated, even if you didn't own them.

oops, belay that, sure looks like it still downloads goddamn everything so you could enable it all with an ESP if you wanted. God, what a clownshoes setup this is.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 21, 2018

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Midnight Voyager posted:

LOL If people mod in hope for paid gigs, they are dumb and that is exactly why they get super angry and petty over dumb poo poo. People should seriously stop deluding themselves with that thought. They'd be a lot happier for it. Trying to make it like a job application is just going to turn it into horrible, stressful work that they don't ever get paid for.

That's why you mod, you mod for fun. If you do it for internet fame points or money, you 100% will burn the gently caress out. Because you aren't going to get either of those things.

The amount of game companies with staff who did mods and/or got off the ground entirely by being a mod team is alot more commonplace than you would think. It's kind of nuts how many people got their start by making models for Quake2/3 or Unreal Tournament maps. These days it's not far off to say someone starts modding to have a pretty portfolio piece of some sort, seeing as it looks (and sometimes is) impressive to take an asset all the way to fruition and implementation. It shows good work ethic.
Bethesda game modders are a rather hopeless bunch, though. They look for things that are almost exclusively bragging rights or a means to hold something over others. There are plenty of normal folk, but boy do the crazies stand out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The amount of game companies with staff who did mods and/or got off the ground entirely by being a mod team is alot more commonplace than you would think. It's kind of nuts how many people got their start by making models for Quake2/3 or Unreal Tournament maps. These days it's not far off to say someone starts modding to have a pretty portfolio piece of some sort, seeing as it looks (and sometimes is) impressive to take an asset all the way to fruition and implementation. It shows good work ethic.
Bethesda game modders are a rather hopeless bunch, though. They look for things that are almost exclusively bragging rights or a means to hold something over others. There are plenty of normal folk, but boy do the crazies stand out.

I'm aware of that, but you absolutely in no way can rely on it at all. AT ALL. Especially not if you're stressing yourself into insanity over it because you're just doing it as some kind of job resume.

Mod for fun. If it gets you a job, great. But modding for your portfolio ends in tears every time.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Is there a good mod to remove the main character's male VO? I'm going to try a run with an alternate start mod, and I don't want to hear his awkward, jokey idiot voice anymore.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

Is there a good mod to remove the main character's male VO? I'm going to try a run with an alternate start mod, and I don't want to hear his awkward, jokey idiot voice anymore.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20097

Start Me Up has a patch for it on its page, too.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Thanks. That's the alternate start mod I'm planning to use.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I wish I had a mod that made the double-barrel shotgun fire both barrels simultaneously or at least reload much faster. Right now its too drat slow to be helpful.

I want to use it like the Super Shotgun from Doom.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

The Skeleton King posted:

I wish I had a mod that made the double-barrel shotgun fire both barrels simultaneously or at least reload much faster. Right now its too drat slow to be helpful.

I think any shotgun that ends up with the "never ending" legendary effect will fire as fast as you can click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3RRfq14AnI

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Is there any way to check the current state of a levelled list, so you can see whether or not stuff which was supposed to be dynamically added was actually added?
I've been using the "Better Locational Damage" overhaul, which among other things delevels a lot of content, and I made a patch which was supposed to fix up a bunch of weapon mods I have installed so they'd be injected into the lists at an earlier level, but they don't seem to be showing up...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I've got some good news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhgceHIwb4

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Having a problem with mod organizer. Whenever I try to run f4se through it it begins to start up fallout 4 and then stops and fallout 4 does not start up. I have no idea what makes this happen or how to fix it.

edit: screw it. I cannot fathom what the problem might be and I have spent too much time trying to get the drat thing running. Im going back to Nexus Mod Manager, which does not have this problem.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 21, 2018

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Having a problem with mod organizer. Whenever I try to run f4se through it it begins to start up fallout 4 and then stops and fallout 4 does not start up. I have no idea what makes this happen or how to fix it.

edit: screw it. I cannot fathom what the problem might be and I have spent too much time trying to get the drat thing running. Im going back to Nexus Mod Manager, which does not have this problem.

I had that problem and it turned out to be a mod which didn't have the requisite master file active.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

no clue which one that could be. I've used all the same ones on nexusmodmanager and had no problem

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I had a big issue with that yesterday and it turned out to be that mod to enable achievements. Pretty sure I had to reinstall MO to get it working again, it was loving weird.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Finally figured out why I was having poo poo luck with VATs!
Apparently my head got perma crippled.
I had to download a console enabling mod and hardcode my head to working order, then I was able to jump from 20% hitrates all the way up to 50% hit rates!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

Settlers of the Commonwealth, they put it on their website but not the Nexus for some reason
http://3dnpc.com/wiki/fallout-mods/fallout-4/settlers-of-the-commonwealth/

Thanks.

Does the 'recruitable settlers' mod you linked above have unique voiced settlers? Or were you referring to this mod as the one with unique voices?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Been trying to get momentum in Horizon.
What exactly is the point of settlers going on missions? Is there anything I should be focusing on? They just seem to give a small handful of junk every few days.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Post poste posted:

What exactly is the point of settlers going on missions? Is there anything I should be focusing on? They just seem to give a small handful of junk every few days.

The first ones you'll probably be able to get going are Craftsmen and Engineers, because they only require Tool Kits.
* Craftsmen give a handful of either weapon parts or armour materials (depending on mission). Having them do armour can be a good way to (slowly) get ballistic fibre, having them do weapons gets weapon parts for settlement defences.
* Engineers can either make a crafted item at no cost (turret kit, hacking tools etc) or three working together can get you some alloys. Have them do the first because more missions means ranking up faster and some buildings are locked behind engineering level.

One you have substantial plantations of tatos, corn and carrots you can start making Supply Kits, allowing you to field Technicians and Hunters
* Technicians give you a grab bag of random 'junk'. This is actually very useful because you can deploy a lot of technicians, meaning they rank up very quickly. With high level salvaging and lots of technicians you get quite a lot of junk every few days which can include stuff like magazines.
* Hunters bring back meat. Once you get 2-3 hunters they can pretty much keep you fed.

You can also craft Military Kits from supply kits, allowing you to deploy Militia. They don't seem to be very useful.

Finally, Entertainers can be deployed for only caps. Mostly they lose you those caps. Presumably if you keep sending them out they'll eventually start making a profit?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Post poste posted:

Well there's your point right there. Note that as they level up, the quantity and quality of junk increases substantially. Even from the start when they usually bring back absolute garbage, about 1/2 or 1/3 times they actually come back with really nice junk, including stuff like ammo. Note also that the missions that require more settlers are different, not just better - iirc the 3-technician mission tends to give large amounts of low-mid tier components and the 1-technician ones give smaller amounts but with better odds of occasional rare junk and non-junk items like ammo.

The Lone Badger posted:

You can also craft Military Kits from supply kits, allowing you to deploy Militia. They don't seem to be very useful.

What? Militia missions are by far the most lucrative, bringing in large amounts of very useful items including but not limited to; food, magazines, ammo, powder, alloys, grenades, bandages, rare junk and weapon parts. They're just expensive, both in terms of manpower and material for the kits.

The Lone Badger posted:

Finally, Entertainers can be deployed for only caps. Mostly they lose you those caps. Presumably if you keep sending them out they'll eventually start making a profit?

They cost 100 caps, give back about 180-190 caps and have a base failure rate of about 50%, so on average it only costs you 15 caps or so to send one out. It's a coinflip though, so you shouldn't count on getting any money back. As with all missions the chance of success increases as they level up, so it eventually becomes a consistent profit. They also sometimes come back with those xp items as a bonus.

I'd stay away from entertainers until you can actually afford to sink hundreds of caps into it just to level them up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

toasterwarrior posted:

I use these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23421/ - Animal farms, so you can have more than just plants to feed your dudes. Some of the resulting products are kinda overpowered though, particularly if you're playing Horizon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23125/ - Industrial plots that can fulfill power and defense needs. I particularly like the barracks chain; more faction dudes hanging around makes settlements feel a bit more alive.

Animal products got toned down significantly (IIRC they were being boosted inappropriately by some perks), though they might still be cheating Horizon since they heal something, instead of nothing.

The utilities martial plots have a known issue where the barracks counter isn't getting dropped properly when the plot is moved or scrapped, meaning you can't productively go down that faction tree again in the same settlement. So keep in mind that when you jump to T2, that plot better be staying where it is for the rest of your settlement.

Just as an aside, the most recent Sim Settlements update introduced NPC visitors who also serve to make settlements feel alive, interacting with idle points placed on structures and such. Still doesn't beat Cricket showing up, walking over to the open-air workbench on a weapon shop, and selling me on the merits of the gun she was currently making, but it's a start.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, the game is going a lot better this time, stomped through a ton of areas and now am around level 21.

What sort of ammo do my mini MG turrets take?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Post poste posted:

Okay, the game is going a lot better this time, stomped through a ton of areas and now am around level 21.

What sort of ammo do my mini MG turrets take?

.17 Mini-MG Ammo. You have to craft it in the Weapon Lab.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So yea, Pilgrim was rad at night, but it got pretty old pretty fast. In other news I have everything working in Horizon , except there's no settings holotape anywhere. I'm guessing Another Life is the cause, can anyone confirm?

e] Yeeeep I had a feeling it would be something stupid like that.

e] I wouldn't even care but I don't like the Revival mechanic he's added.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 23, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So yea, Pilgrim was rad at night, but it got pretty old pretty fast. In other news I have everything working in Horizon , except there's no settings holotape anywhere. I'm guessing Another Life is the cause, can anyone confirm?

It doesn't drop it in your inventory automatically for some reason - you have to pick it up from the Overseer's desk in Vault 111, which I imagine Another Life would conflict with in the sense that you may not actually be starting the game there anymore.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Last Horizon question for a while. I have six engineers in my settlement, level 2 trailblazers and all the stuff, what exactly do I need for things to count as "Settler Skill: Engineering"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need to use the Command Table to send engineers on missions. Everytime they complete a mission the 'engineering' skill goes up 1-4 points. When it hits 25 mess about in the command table for a bit then back out and yiu should have the Engineering Skill Lvl1 perk. 50 is level 2, 75 is level 3.

The one-engineer mission ('craft devices') gives the same skill raise as the three-engineer mission ('research') and you can do it three times as much. So craft devices for levelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It doesn't drop it in your inventory automatically for some reason - you have to pick it up from the Overseer's desk in Vault 111, which I imagine Another Life would conflict with in the sense that you may not actually be starting the game there anymore.

You can also craft it in the tech lab, I think it's under "Equipment".

And of course in cases like this you can always open the console and do something like
code:
help "horizon" 4
player.additem [the ID it gives you for the holotape]

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

e] I wouldn't even care but I don't like the Revival mechanic he's added.

Why not? It makes a lot more sense to me than flow-breaking save-and-reload.