Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Droyer posted:

More generally, criticising a gundam show for having a pink robot is odd considering the main character's rival in the very first gundam used pink robots exclusively until the final fight.

what? char's suits were red. he was the red comet

pink suits are fine but uh, char didn't have any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His suits were all salmon pink due to an abundance of salmon pink coloring in Sunrise or something. That's why the explosions are all pink too if I recall. He was called the Red Comet, but he didn't start using red machines until Char's Counterattack. Later stuff featuring his One Year War days make his units red, but they're pink in the original show and movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Purple is the better color anyways. Rick Dom.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

tsob posted:

His suits were all salmon pink due to an abundance of salmon pink coloring in Sunrise or something. That's why the explosions are all pink too if I recall. He was called the Red Comet, but he didn't start using red machines until Char's Counterattack. Later stuff featuring his One Year War days make his units red, but they're pink in the original show and movies.

His Rick Dias is actually red as well so oddly he finally started piloting a red suit right before he gave up the red theme.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sam Sanskrit posted:

His Rick Dias is actually red as well so oddly he finally started piloting a red suit right before he gave up the red theme.

His rick dias isn't in the tv show or movies though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

what? char's suits were red. he was the red comet

pink suits are fine but uh, char didn't have any

It's pink

Droyer posted:

His rick dias isn't in the tv show or movies though.

Yes it is, the first scene of Zeta is him flying it around and sensing Kamille. Some other AEUG pilot gets it once he hops in the Hyaku Shiki.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oh i'm dumb i was thinking about the rick dom he has in some novel or something(?), my bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Droyer posted:

oh i'm dumb i was thinking about the rick dom he has in some novel or something(?), my bad.

Yeah, the wiki says he had a Rick Dom instead of the Zeong in the novelization.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, the wiki says he had a Rick Dom instead of the Zeong in the novelization.

It's more that in the novel the Rick Dom basically fills the niche the Gelgoog does in the show. It's the end-of-the-road Zeon unit with much higher performance and a beam bazooka. The problem is that by that point Amuro, Hayato and Kai have become so insanely skilled that they literally are Dynasty Warrioring their way through Zeon troops. They destroy an entire fleet on their own and the response everyone has is "haha, they must be exaggerating, three units can't do that."

That said a Rick Dom does score the kill on Amuro but only by shooting him in the back while he's Newtype Freaking Out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's pink

Yes it is, the first scene of Zeta is him flying it around and sensing Kamille. Some other AEUG pilot gets it once he hops in the Hyaku Shiki.

It’s actually more that the entire Rick Dom wing adopts Char’s colours after he switches to the HS. Apparently, they just dig red.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The context y'all cut out is that it was PINK for what reason? The other suits were to designate their pilots as people of value or skill, and they're usually choices/repaints of another model, but that isn't really the case for this one. They do exactly nothing with the model in G Reco other than carry around our female protagonist who doesn't really contribute. The entire series is Bellri basically solving everything. She didn't need a suit, it wasn't cool, and it irritates me that they gave her the PINK gundam as opposed to the other folks they tangentially selected pink ones for just sorta "because"?

G Reco is sloppy to me, nothing feels earned. Maybe those other suits were pink for the sake of pink model sales, but like so much in G Reco for me they did nothing to bother justifying or earning the call backs they setup in the series. I expect a Pink/Red suit to like be cool do something, and you can't say they did anything like that with the one in G Reco.

The Pink accenting I think does speak to my issue with the design ethos of G Reco which is super bright/pastels over everything. It was for the sake of distraction not value imo.

Not that it's anything new that this thread hates my hot takes.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 23, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The context y'all cut out is that it was PINK for what reason? The other suits were to designate their pilots as people of value or skill, and they're usually choices/repaints of another model, but that isn't really the case for this one. They do exactly nothing with the model in G Reco other than carry around our female protagonist who doesn't really contribute. The entire series is Bellri basically solving everything. She didn't need a suit, it wasn't cool, and it irritates me that they gave her the PINK gundam as opposed to the other folks they tangentially selected pink ones for just sorta "because"?

G Reco is sloppy to me, nothing feels earned. Maybe those other suits were pink for the sake of pink model sales, but like so much in G Reco for me they did nothing to bother justifying or earning the call backs they setup in the series. I expect a Pink/Red suit to like be cool do something, and you can't say they did anything like that with the one in G Reco.

The Pink accenting I think does speak to my issue with the design ethos of G Reco which is super bright/pastels over everything. It was for the sake of distraction not value imo.

Not that it's anything new that this thread hates my hot takes.

Again, the G-Arcane is orange. Brick-orange.

Like, what, do you think your avatar is pink?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, the G-Arcane is orange. Brick-orange.

Like, what, do you think your avatar is pink?

That is def not how I remember it in the show and I don't trust Gunpla for accurate color representation.

Look

I found a different Gunpla where it is pink/red!

Quit trotting that out, and even if it is "orange" my issue is with the color choices and the feel of the show. Most of the units look like they're made out of candy to me. Other gundam shows have lots of colors without the suits feeling like they were run under a candy gloss finisher. That's why I used the term saccharine for the color and style of the show. I can't even remember a primary suit getting scratched or damage that wasn't immediately resolved with a new toy of the week backpack (which isn't really offensive to me given the property we're talking about).

We can disagree about the color I guess, but you're still missing the core part of my complaint which is the design choices are not appealing to me and saturate everything in the show. They did little to provide value beyond "its different than UC Gundam which is very dark". Add to that the fact that the story/plot might as well not exist as a through thread for driving the show and hey guess what I didn't like G Reco. You can Darth Walrus, it's okay.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 23, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

That is def not how I remember it in the show and I don't trust Gunpla for accurate color representation.

Look

That's just red, not even Char Pink/Red. Obviously you remember wrong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Look

Quit trotting that out, and even if it is "orange" my issue is with the color choices and the feel of the show. Most of the units look like they're made out of candy to me. Other gundam shows have lots of colors without the suits feeling like they were run under a candy gloss finisher. That's why I used the term saccharine for the color and style of the show. I can't even remember a primary suit getting scratched or damage that wasn't immediately resolved with a new toy of the week backpack (which isn't really offensive to me given the property we're talking about).

We can disagree about the color I guess, but you're still missing the core part of my complaint which is the design choices are not appealing to me and saturate everything in the show. They did little to provide value beyond "its different than UC Gundam which is very dark". Add to that the fact that the story/plot might as well not exist as a through thread for driving the show and hey guess what I didn't like G Reco. You can Darth Walrus, it's okay.

Your argument seemed to be that you didn’t like a female pilot getting a suit in traditionally feminine colours and being useless. The specific colour is relevant to that. To be honest, though, it’s not all that clear what you’re arguing - it seems to change from post to post, and you’re talking past everyone who tries to respond to you.

We can’t have much of a discussion if we can’t tell what the gently caress you’re talking about and who the gently caress you’re talking to.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look

That is a custom Gunpla some random dude customized and painted

The G-Arcane was orange and grey

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

definitely orange

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

definitely orange

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can keep going, this is drawn by Ippei Gyobbu, the dude who designed the G-Arcane

And here is a screen from Gundam Reconguista in G: From the Past to the Future

Fun fact, both of those show features of the G-Arcane that were never displayed in the show.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I likes G-Reco in all its weirdness but I just took a spin through mahq and drat if i can’t remember most of those suits.

Except for the Elf Bull, Elf Bullock, and Mack Knife. Best design in that show and I love how you can follow the design development from prototype to mass production.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You keep talking about the "saccharine" visuals as though that's something objectively bad about the show and it's not, I really like how bright and colorful g-reco because it's a joy to look at at every turn. I'm not saying I'm right to think that and you're wrong to disagree, but you're not going to be able to reason anyone into disliking an aesthetic decision they like. Other than the visuals the rest of what you said can be summarized as "it's bad because i don't like it because it's bad" and if you don't like it that's fine but if you actually wanna have a discussion of any kind it would be cool if you could say something of substance.

Also as an aside no we can't "disagree" about the color. It's orange, not pink. This is a fact.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

That said a Rick Dom does score the kill on Amuro but only by shooting him in the back while he's Newtype Freaking Out.

Is it the original TV show plan then that the Gundam is taken out by a Gigan?

I always liked that idea, that no matter how good Amuro was or got, even with esper powers, some lucky poo poo could take him out even in the crappest suit around. It's a pity it got the cut if that was the original plan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Is it the original TV show plan then that the Gundam is taken out by a Gigan?

???

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Consider:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I wasn't really trying to convince anyone that I am right about anything. I said I didn't like the visuals, have apparently misremembered the color of a suit in a show I didn't like, but somehow because I feel it was tonally wasted on a do nothing show that mean's I'm a bad man on the internet?

I'm not really in here trying to say anyone is wrong for liking the visuals or the show. I'm saying I didn't and they added to my distaste for the show on top of the non existent plotting and boring wasted characters.

I apologize if y'all are mad because I wanted this one suit to live up to its drat colors. For a debate about the virtue of paint schemes seems a little like too many folks are focusing on a color choice i took issue with and not paying attention to my criticism that the visuals are different, but not in a way that adds anything to the show and in my opinion detracts from whatever they were trying to do (for me).

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 23, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

To be fair, that would be a sick crossover. Like some Zeon/ZAFT/*insert villain faction here* guys are like "WE'VE MASS-PRODUCED THE DESTROY GUNDAM/BIG ZAM/*insert Mobile Armor here*! WE'RE UNSTOPPABLE!" then SKREEEEEEONNNNNNNNK

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I wasn't really trying to convince anyone that I am right about anything. I said I didn't like the visuals, have apparently misremembered the color of a suit in a show I didn't like, but somehow because I feel it was tonally wasted on a do nothing show that mean's I'm a bad man on the internet?

I'm not really in here trying to say anyone is wrong for liking the visuals or the show. I'm saying I didn't and they added to my distaste for the show on top of the non existent plotting and boring wasted characters.

I apologize if y'all are mad because I wanted this one suit to live up to its drat colors.

What does "live up to its drat colors" mean?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

What does "live up to its drat colors" mean?

Char sets a high bar for suits with that color scheme in terms of importance and skill and the value of person inside them.

Most Gundam shows reserve that color setup for someone who has an impact. I did not feel that the lady in G Reco did anything to warrant that allusion.

Even looking at those images kinda red/pink still. Some of the Gunpla are more explicit, but the show (maybe it's my color correction software) doesn't scream this is an orange/grey suit and not a red/pink suit.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Char sets a high bar for suits with that color scheme in terms of importance and skill and the value of person inside them.

Most Gundam shows reserve that color setup for someone who has an impact. I did not feel that the lady in G Reco did anything to warrant that allusion.

It's not the same color scheme as char though? yet again pink=/= orange.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
G-Reco is always going to win the mobile suit design war because of THIS motherfucker:

Fear the Grimoire

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Please visit an opthalmologist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... but... it's orange. It's not even a tiny bit red.

Also like, yeah, red is an important color in Gundam but it's not exclusively for Char. Even in ORIGINAL Gundam, the Guncannon was red too for example.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... but... it's orange. It's not even a tiny bit red.

Also like, yeah, red is an important color in Gundam but it's not exclusively for Char. Even in ORIGINAL Gundam, the Guncannon was red too for example.

TBF the joints are red, though not Char's red.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It can be whatever color it is.

I don't like the show. The visuals were part of it for me. This is not an objective statement, it is subjective. Y'all can enjoy those goofy faced designs they don't work for me in a show that was almost impossible to follow start to finish.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SZB what does this say

edit: nvm can't get the pic to work

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Droyer posted:

SZB what does this say

OH poo poo ITS ALL PINK I DONT KNOW ANYMORE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Even looking at those images kinda red/pink still. Some of the Gunpla are more explicit, but the show (maybe it's my color correction software) doesn't scream this is an orange/grey suit and not a red/pink suit.

It's bright orange

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It's bright orange

Not to me :c00lbutt:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

It can be whatever color it is.

I don't like the show. The visuals were part of it for me. This is not an objective statement, it is subjective. Y'all can enjoy those goofy faced designs they don't work for me in a show that was almost impossible to follow start to finish.

No one cares that you didn't like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012