Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I honestly don’t understand how your anaconda is fitted since I used an unengineered vulture for the longest time and nothing “shrugged” off its damage output. An anaconda has much more firepower as well as a fighter. Did you have a size small turret pulse laser in every slot for reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gonkish posted:

I hopped into the game on a whim. Trying desperately to convince myself that Engineering isn't a horrifically obvious and absolutely mandatory "fun tax". Went into a RES with my Anaconda. Nearly lost the ship twice because loving everything worth shooting (i.e., targets with 100k+ bounties) would shrug off any damage I did while instantly making GBS threads all over me.

So I guess my options are to slum it on 2k bounties forever, or go shoot space rocks for 500 billion hours for the possible almost-sort-kinda-but-not-really chance at then being able to do something entertaining in the game. Am I missing something? I'm certainly rusty as far as shooting goes, but what is it that I'm missing about Engineering? Why the hell is this so loving terrible? Why are they forcing me to run around on a buggy shooting rocks for the vague promise that it might allow me to get to a point where, prior to the Engineers update, I could shoot things as much as I wanted? Is there some obvious thing that I'm missing that makes gathering these space-boar assholes for the magical engineer fairies less about shooting rocks and more about not wanting to scoop your loving eyes out of your skull with a rusty spoon and eat them?

Post your build! If you went with bi-weave shields like I did, that's probably why you got eaten. I'm going to go to 7a the next time I'm in and see how that does; I can never seem to deploy a shield cell in time for it to do any good. I also like a pair of big plasma accelerators on the huge and first large hardpoints, once your laser suite buckles their shields (and before) you can knock the poo poo out of anything with a volley from those. I don't use missiles that much, but I absolutely get killed by them constantly, so maybe throw a pair or two of seekers on there as well.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I made my first 10m in a viper mk4 in high RES's and only had to rebuy a couple times from shooting too early. Just shoot ships the cops are already after; I don't see how a conda would struggle.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

I hopped into the game on a whim. Trying desperately to convince myself that Engineering isn't a horrifically obvious and absolutely mandatory "fun tax". Went into a RES with my Anaconda. Nearly lost the ship twice because loving everything worth shooting (i.e., targets with 100k+ bounties) would shrug off any damage I did while instantly making GBS threads all over me.

You absolutely do NOT have to do engineers if you just want to hang in a RES. You should be able to build an effective PvE ship without touching engineers.

That said, if I'm in a RES, I would 100% rather be in a vulture than an anaconda.

The anaconda is too big and cumbersome to avoid damage, so it has to be tanky if you want to have any staying power. Being tanky often means being kinda slow. If you're slow, you can't control the distance between you and the opponent. At higher skill levels, the AI will run away from you while it regenerates shields. Fights can really drag on and on.

EDIT: or put a fighter bay on your anaconda!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 23, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Engineering works well from a newbie's perspective, as collecting materials seems like a normal and natural part of the game, but it does suck to be you if you ground to an Anaconda in 2015 and now you need to spend a billion hours while only collecting materials.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

Engineering works well from a newbie's perspective, as collecting materials seems like a normal and natural part of the game, but it does suck to be you if you ground to an Anaconda in 2015 and now you need to spend a billion hours while only collecting materials.

Gathering materials isn't so bad, but actually unlocking engineers is a complete nightmare

I actually had to email fdev support to get Qwent to unlock. I had everything ready, but the invite mission never spawned. I was 100% allied, and I even spent time flipping the mission board at various starports. Support acknowledged the problem and flipped the switch for me.

Even if you're not getting blocked by the mission board, you're always just at the mercy of the background sim. If the wrong system is in lockdown, you're out of luck.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Materials wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pick and choose what to pick up because some dumb arbitrary limit. Will be nice once it's changed, though also still a bit worried they're going to end up making engineers somehow more grindy by their vague descriptions.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just really feel out of sorts. I might retire the conda and go back to a FDL or Vulture.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Gathering materials isn't so bad, but actually unlocking engineers is a complete nightmare

I actually had to email fdev support to get Qwent to unlock. I had everything ready, but the invite mission never spawned. I was 100% allied, and I even spent time flipping the mission board at various starports. Support acknowledged the problem and flipped the switch for me.

Even if you're not getting blocked by the mission board, you're always just at the mercy of the background sim. If the wrong system is in lockdown, you're out of luck.

I got mine without using that "technique", but I had a long established ally relationship with Sirius since early on. I had sold them my first big batch of exploration data after my first jaunt out of the bubble and they were also my first powerplay move.*

Rynoto posted:

Materials wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to pick and choose what to pick up because some dumb arbitrary limit. Will be nice once it's changed, though also still a bit worried they're going to end up making engineers somehow more grindy by their vague descriptions.

Whenever I hit 1k, I drop 5 or 10 from my top 5 or 10 number of mats or go spam engi's with whatever to raise rank, but I'm near maxed out on most of them at this point. I'm looking forward to the whole pay for mods with favor and spam sulfur or phosphorus system for experimental mods being replaced by the new system.

*speaking of Powerplay... does anyone else get the sense that we are seeing gradual and massive-scale unit testing for modules that are going to be tied together at some point if development gets that far? This game has great bones.

Only asses are led by the carrot and the stick, this dog needed to dig for some bones. Dog Star Crew. WOOF! Siriusly

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You guys see this concept art yet? It’s a pretty great effort and I just love some of the larger freighter ideas.

https://imgur.com/a/0eHQA

Also, that system map view would be incredible.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

osirisisdead posted:

I've been having quite a bit of fun in the iCourier for this CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxSNFJYRu8

450m/s boosted you should be ashamed.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So I've been farming this distribution center for an hour for Datamined Wake thingy ma bobs and have literally gotten zero. Am I doing something wrong?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sedisp posted:

So I've been farming this distribution center for an hour for Datamined Wake thingy ma bobs and have literally gotten zero. Am I doing something wrong?

Do you have a wake scanner and are you using it to scan the wakes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

You guys see this concept art yet? It’s a pretty great effort and I just love some of the larger freighter ideas.

https://imgur.com/a/0eHQA

Also, that system map view would be incredible.

Oh wow! Is that from pre-release? If so, it's neat to see how much of that made it, in some form, into the game over the years!

I've heard talk of an orrery system view before...one day. :allears:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

iospace posted:

Do you have a wake scanner and are you using it to scan the wakes?

yes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sultan Tarquin posted:

450m/s boosted you should be ashamed.

G5 HD mirrored surface composite with a few HRP... and only G3 dirty drives...

Anyway... Challenge Accepted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

osirisisdead posted:

G5 HD mirrored surface composite with a few HRP... and only G3 dirty drives...

Anyway... Challenge Accepted.

You are like tiny baby.

If it don't go 8 (hundred) it don't rate. :v:

E: Build here: https://eddp.co/u/1vQRUEub

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 23, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What're the best things to put in the utility slots in a fer de lance? Three resist augmented shield boosters, two heavy duty ones, and chaff?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool optimized gankship. That would wreck face as a part of a team against the noobs you trick into grinding into poo poo-tier tradecondas but I need more experience with mediocre PvE boats with turrets because I'm working on putting together good and fun multicrew ships with turrets so I can offer the experience to other players.

I don't play this game like you and I never will. Get over it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I think my favorite part of the Elite: Dangerous: Season 1: Horizons: Beyond thread is the part where everybody hates each other

Any new Chieftain video/pics yet?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

osirisisdead posted:

Cool optimized gankship. That would wreck face as a part of a team against the noobs you trick into grinding into poo poo-tier tradecondas but I need more experience with mediocre PvE boats with turrets because I'm working on putting together good and fun multicrew ships with turrets so I can offer the experience to other players.

We don't trick newbs into grinding into poo poo-tier tradecondas. Everyone who's in a poo poo-tier tradeconda put themselves there, often against the advice of other Frogs.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Why emissive over scramble spectrum?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gonkish posted:

I just really feel out of sorts. I might retire the conda and go back to a FDL or Vulture.
I think the normal build I use for the really hard combat stuff will work without engineering, it's just more effective with it: https://eddp.co/u/CohQDNKK. It's a chainsaw multicannon fiesta, just fire the huge beam laser at whatever you're aiming at until it doesn't have shields any more and open up with the multicannons. Let your AI pilot fly a plasma repeater taipan and chew through everything.

Small hardpoints can be whatever, I normally use long range shieldbreaker rails but that's engineering and also power hungry so don't worry about that for now. There's also a trick you can do with the shield cells where you fire a cell, wait until your heat gets to 100, fire a heatsink, wait for it to go back down a bit and fire a second shield cell. Lets you use 12 shield cells with only 6 heat sinks without burning your ship up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

osirisisdead posted:

Lmfao. Bruh the guy was just sharing a build that's insanely fast. Ships that fast are hilariously fun to just fly around and are more often used for interdiction shenanigans than PvP like you're assuming.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Word, boom and zoom baby. It's what the Eagle/ImpEagle/iCourier were all made for.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the new "mixed reality" offered by Dell, Samsung. HP etc in Elite? From what I can tell, they support Steam VR now, and the refresh rates and screen resolution are on par with RIFT and VIVE. I was looking at reddit, and the opinions range from glowing endorsement down to "I'm returning it tomorrow"

I was curious if any goons had specific experience with the headsets while playing Elite.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Rad-daddio posted:

Has anyone tried the new "mixed reality" offered by Dell, Samsung. HP etc in Elite? From what I can tell, they support Steam VR now, and the refresh rates and screen resolution are on par with RIFT and VIVE. I was looking at reddit, and the opinions range from glowing endorsement down to "I'm returning it tomorrow"

I was curious if any goons had specific experience with the headsets while playing Elite.

I have the Lenovo and have played maybe 10 minutes of Elite so far - I'm trying to get my x52/wmr/voiceattack all working smoothly.

It looked amazing and immersive as hell. Played smooth. Not as graphically crisp as without VR but then nothing is. The main complaint Vive/Rift users cite is tracking due to no sensors on wmr, which is a non-issue in elite. There is no hardware IPD so if yours is way off average that would be an issue. I'm 66 and have no problem.

Really, really good entry level VR imo. $600 is just too much scratch, +/- 200 is a good price point.

Edit - I loaded Elite up and I was close to an asteroid field. I looked around my cockpit and the floating rocks and said 'wow, holy poo poo' out loud.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angrymog posted:

We don't trick newbs into grinding into poo poo-tier tradecondas. Everyone who's in a poo poo-tier tradeconda put themselves there, often against the advice of other Frogs.

I'm speaking more of the Elite community as a whole rather than goons in particular.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Having done a ton of engineering, I'm pretty certain that I hate it. At first I liked how powerful the various modifications make your ship (especially quality of life stuff like FSD range) but engineering really exacerbates how long it takes to try out a new build.

Let's assume you either backed the game, or have sunk enough time into it to be Elite in some category. Without engineering being in the game, you can just dock at Jameson Memorial, and build any ship you want to fly, with whatever weapons and gear you want, and you're good to go.

Now that engineering's in the game, you dock at Jameson Memorial, build the base ship you want to fly, and then you have to do a shitload of unfun stuff. Roll around on moons in your SRV for minerals. Fly around hoping for the right signal sources to spawn for manufactured stuff. Then fly to the four corners of the bubble over and over to get the engineering upgrades that are basically necessities - upgraded FSD, better thrusters, better shields, better shield boosters, better weapons...

What was a ten-minute job stretches into hours. It wouldn't be so bad if the stuff you needed to do for engineers was actually fun, but most of the time it's non-combat stuff with no challenge at all - you just look up the best way to get the materials you need online, and spend the time to do it. It would be so much better if upgrades were tied to fun challenges in some way. Make me do races through asteroid fields for thruster upgrades, combat challenges for weapon upgrades, SRV assault courses.

Elite has some great, fun gameplay in it, it's a drat shame that the stuff you do to progress in the game doesn't involve any of the fun parts!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stop trying so hard to catch up to bitter veterans. You can't.

You don't know a challenge until you need to scoop two black boxes from a wreck that is tumbling down into a gravity well and then successfully warp out before the wing of five pirate raiders on your rear end obliterates your unarmed DBX because that's the third high value salvage mission you did that session.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 23, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

osirisisdead posted:

Stop trying so hard to catch up to bitter veterans. You can't.

You don't know a challenge until you need to scoop two black boxes from a wreck that is tumbling down into a gravity well and then successfully warp out before the wing of five pirate raiders on your rear end obliterates your unarmed DBX because that's the third high value salvage mission you did that session.

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I posted

"Engineering sucks"

"Well have you tried scooping cargo for fun"

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Having done a ton of engineering, I'm pretty certain that I hate it. At first I liked how powerful the various modifications make your ship (especially quality of life stuff like FSD range) but engineering really exacerbates how long it takes to try out a new build.

Let's assume you either backed the game, or have sunk enough time into it to be Elite in some category. Without engineering being in the game, you can just dock at Jameson Memorial, and build any ship you want to fly, with whatever weapons and gear you want, and you're good to go.

Now that engineering's in the game, you dock at Jameson Memorial, build the base ship you want to fly, and then you have to do a shitload of unfun stuff. Roll around on moons in your SRV for minerals. Fly around hoping for the right signal sources to spawn for manufactured stuff. Then fly to the four corners of the bubble over and over to get the engineering upgrades that are basically necessities - upgraded FSD, better thrusters, better shields, better shield boosters, better weapons...

What was a ten-minute job stretches into hours. It wouldn't be so bad if the stuff you needed to do for engineers was actually fun, but most of the time it's non-combat stuff with no challenge at all - you just look up the best way to get the materials you need online, and spend the time to do it. It would be so much better if upgrades were tied to fun challenges in some way. Make me do races through asteroid fields for thruster upgrades, combat challenges for weapon upgrades, SRV assault courses.

Elite has some great, fun gameplay in it, it's a drat shame that the stuff you do to progress in the game doesn't involve any of the fun parts!

If you just want to theory craft builds use coriolis or something like it. Expecting the game to let you do it with engineered mods or their equivalent out of the gate is not something I've seen in any game ever. Once you get to something you do like, then you can go through the horrors of trying to find pharamaceuticals or whatever other space garbage you need to randomly try to improve the module you want.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dreadwroth posted:

Word, boom and zoom baby. It's what the ImpEagle/Viper3/iCourier were all made for.

Fixed that for you.

No, seriously, the basic Eagle AKA the Eagle MKII isn't that fast - it's designed to be the most agile ship in the game, period. Despite the appearance it's very much a helicopter gunship type flier. The iEagle specifically redesigns the drive array for straightline speed and acceleration.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

So I guess my options are to slum it on 2k bounties forever, or go shoot space rocks for 500 billion hours for the possible almost-sort-kinda-but-not-really chance at then being able to do something entertaining in the game. Am I missing something? I'm certainly rusty as far as shooting goes, but what is it that I'm missing about Engineering? Why the hell is this so loving terrible? Why are they forcing me to run around on a buggy shooting rocks for the vague promise that it might allow me to get to a point where, prior to the Engineers update, I could shoot things as much as I wanted? Is there some obvious thing that I'm missing that makes gathering these space-boar assholes for the magical engineer fairies less about shooting rocks and more about not wanting to scoop your loving eyes out of your skull with a rusty spoon and eat them?

Everyone has covered the engineer part pretty well. The grind really isn't that bad, if you played WoW end-game, you've done similar grinds. Key difference is none of the grinds in Elite are time-gated. And K-MMOs are far far worse.

However, one thing I think you might have missed is that the Pilot AI in Elite got an overhaul/makeover. It's not as laughably simple as it was 2 years ago or so. That might also be why you're experiencing some issues.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

YellerBill posted:

I think my favorite part of the Elite: Dangerous: Season 1: Horizons: Beyond thread and SA in general is the part where everybody hates each other

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I officially bought an FDL last night. Might still buy a Vulture for reasons. Haven't taken it out yet though, don't have the money to outfit it the way I want to yet. Just need to find time to do some of the better passenger missions I've been seeing.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

CornHolio posted:

I officially bought an FDL last night. Might still buy a Vulture for reasons. Haven't taken it out yet though, don't have the money to outfit it the way I want to yet. Just need to find time to do some of the better passenger missions I've been seeing.

My (admittedly well-outfitted and well-engineered) FDL unexpectedly turned out to be my favorite ship for combat zones. It's really good at racking up kills without drawing the massive amounts of fire that my larger combat ships tend to.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just method acting a surly space trucker. Don't take it personally.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Trustworthy posted:

My (admittedly well-outfitted and well-engineered) FDL unexpectedly turned out to be my favorite ship for combat zones. It's really good at racking up kills without drawing the massive amounts of fire that my larger combat ships tend to.

I'm not sure yet how much of the engineering I'm going to feel like grinding through. I slightly modified the FSD and shield boosters on my Dolphin and am pretty happy with it but I don't want to spend hours looking for resources if I can avoid it. I just want a ship I can go blast some NPCs with easily because I don't have good flying skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

lemonadesweetheart posted:

If you just want to theory craft builds use coriolis or something like it. Expecting the game to let you do it with engineered mods or their equivalent out of the gate is not something I've seen in any game ever. Once you get to something you do like, then you can go through the horrors of trying to find pharamaceuticals or whatever other space garbage you need to randomly try to improve the module you want.

It's not the theory crafting, it's the actual activity of equipping the modules. Here's an example from today - I wanted to switch my Fer De Lance from plasma accelerators to burst lasers. Prior to engineering, you can just sell/store the plasmas and buy the lasers, job done. Now that we have engineering, I have to store the plasmas, buy the lasers, then fly to Broo Tarquin hundreds of lightyears away to get them modified. After I've done the grind of unlocking him, bringing him up to level 5, and finding the materials required for the mods I want.

• Locked thread