Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It’s also shot like a TV show and has a bad Cap costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ojjeorago posted:

It’s also shot like a TV show and has a bad Cap costume.

I was wondering how long this conversation could go without this happening.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

I was wondering how long this conversation could go without this happening.

Took longer than I expected.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It'd be super cool if there was latitude for them to feature characters from adjacent shows of the same period but most of them were created by another company so I know it won't happen.

I think DC got away with doing this in their The Prisoner comic, but I don't think they named them.

Man, I wish it was easier to find The Prisoner for a good price in the US. I've never seen The Avengers, show or movie, but I've been meaning to pick up a set at some point. Same with Man from UNCLE. I liked the movie though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

site posted:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but luke cage sooner rather than later?

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/953495995018395648

Did anybody catch black lightning? I gotta wait till tomorrow to check it out

It makes sense that hiring a music guy to showrun a show ends up with a show with a killer soundtrack but looking very amateur hour.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did we already know JJ s2 release date? I can't remember

https://twitter.com/Krystenritter/status/954149560913362944

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

esperterra posted:

lmao as if this ridiculous scene is not a point in its favour

The original series has robot assassins and criminals escaping justice by being sent back in time. The movie didn't get silly enough.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Davros1 posted:

The original series has robot assassins and criminals escaping justice by being sent back in time. The movie didn't get silly enough.

That second one turned out to be some sort of fakeout, didn't it? Still, plenty of weirdness to go round. I seem to remember death by weather machine and a man eating plant and there was a... bird based superhero with antigravity boots or something? And there was definitely a brain swapping machine. I have to do a rewatch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Davros1 posted:

The movie was preeeeeetty silly, but yeah it's par for the course with The Avengers. The movie's problem wasn't the campiness, but that it was missing like half its runtime.

And Uma Thurman wasn't a very good Emma Peel. She wasn't terrible, but like someone else mentioned her chemistry with Fiennes wasn't great.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Charlize Theron as Emma peel make it happen

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Emily Blunt as Emma Peel, Idris Elba as John Steed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ojjeorago posted:

Emily Blunt as Emma Peel

I'm gna bust

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ojjeorago posted:

Emily Blunt as Emma Peel,

Either her or Karen Gillan.

quote:

Idris Elba as John Steed.

Colin Salmon would be a better choice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ojjeorago posted:

Idris Elba as Emma Peel, Idris Elba as John Steed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Either her or Karen Gillan.

I'd hope they'd let her use her natural accent.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nice. If it's along the lines of the Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie from a couple of years ago, that would be cool.

It'd be super cool if there was latitude for them to feature characters from adjacent shows of the same period but most of them were created by another company so I know it won't happen.

Bring in Adam Adamant or Sapphire and Steel

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So thinking about Inhumans being officially canceled, could it have been a good show? Like just could there have been a decent Inhumans show? Maybe if they had been willing to spend money, and not have a talent-less hack as show runner and have the most cliched characters and plots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The news from earlier today was that ABC says they haven't decided anything and will announce in May.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

The news from earlier today was that ABC says they haven't decided anything and will announce in May.

I mean, is there anyone that WANTS it to be renewed? I can't think of anyone who enjoyed it. Unless it goes full Legends and becomes self aware of how bad it is, I think it needs to just die.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

muscles like this! posted:

Why would they renew a show no one watched and everyone hates?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

So thinking about Inhumans being officially canceled, could it have been a good show? Like just could there have been a decent Inhumans show? Maybe if they had been willing to spend money, and not have a talent-less hack as show runner and have the most cliched characters and plots.

If it wasn't on network tv, I think it would have. More than any other Marvel story besides definitely Jessica Jones (although, boy, the way they translated Alias to tv is another, differently bad kettle of fish) and arguably Daredevil, the Inhumans need to be both incredibly loving weird and to present some real uncomfortable perspectives on stuff like "compassionate monarchism", caste systems, et cetera - all stuff way too highbrow and complicated for network tv to really work.

I love the Inhumans and read a whole loving ton of their stories, and at their best they're extremely bizarre and complicated and genuinely discomfiting, from their origins to their relationship to the Kree to their own internal structure to the various levels of royal family backstabbing and complicated relationships they form.

Like I think done right, I think Inhumans could've been Marvel's Game of Thrones. There's the constantly shifting alliances, the weird sects, the constant backstabbing and royal machinations, the bizarre sort of uncomfortable amorality all the principal players have. But it would've required it to be translated as something besides "bad X-Men", which is the worst and dumbest way to interpret the Inhumans.

Ojjeorago posted:

Why would they renew a show no one watched and everyone hates?

Because ABC is owned by Disney and depending on how badly they want to build up their Marvel offerings on ABC, they could override or at the very least force ABC executives to seriously reconsider cancelling Inhumans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Inhumans is probably damaging to the Marvel brand. They'd want to sweep it under the rug as they don't want "Marvel tv shows are terrible" as the go to opinion of most people. Agents of Shield at least gets "No, it got good after the first season".

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also, who even believes that anyone at Disney gives enough of a poop about the Inhumans to try to "force" ABC to renew it? I don't even think you can argue that Perlmutter himself cares anymore. They're getting the X-Men back in less than a year. Heck, there's already X-properties on TV like Legion and Gifted that will be under the Disney umbrella by then. What possible rationale could there be for the Disney-Marvel conglomerate to try to salvage the single most embarrassing franchise that they own when the entire reason it got pushed out in the first place doesn't even exist anymore? There's no need for mutant analogues when you have actual mutants at your disposal.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

Also, who even believes that anyone at Disney gives enough of a poop about the Inhumans to try to "force" ABC to renew it? I don't even think you can argue that Perlmutter himself cares anymore. They're getting the X-Men back in less than a year. Heck, there's already X-properties on TV like Legion and Gifted that will be under the Disney umbrella by then. What possible rationale could there be for the Disney-Marvel conglomerate to try to salvage the single most embarrassing franchise that they own when the entire reason it got pushed out in the first place doesn't even exist anymore? There's no need for mutant analogues when you have actual mutants at your disposal.

I'm not saying it's likely. I'm saying why, if it gets renewed, that's probably one of the biggest reasons it is. Either that or they line up some superstar showrunner or up-and-comer and he or she's got a crazy good pitch for season 2 that captures the room.

The show's fuckin' deader than disco.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Theyre probably better off focusing on the Squirrel Girl show than anything. Though I'm still a little upset about that because it means Marvel is leaving one of the most fun and popular characters out of the movies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I think they'd rather give it a season 2 than admit defeat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twistedmentat posted:

You basically just do what they did with the comics new push. A bunch of their crystal poo poo gets into the eco-system and a whole crop of new Inhumans come out of nowhere. You counter their entirely normal and modern world views with a bunch of royalist assholes as the antagonists. Instead of, you know, following the royalist assholes who have godlike power that requires a loving ridiculous budget to do well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mulva posted:

You basically just do what they did with the comics new push. A bunch of their crystal poo poo gets into the eco-system and a whole crop of new Inhumans come out of nowhere. You counter their entirely normal and modern world views with a bunch of royalist assholes as the antagonists. Instead of, you know, following the royalist assholes who have godlike power that requires a loving ridiculous budget to do well.

This already happened on Agents of SHIELD though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mulva posted:

That's literally what they've been doing on AoS. A couple of seasons ago they did an Inhumans story arc that ended with a bunch of Terrigen crystals falling into the ocean where they dissolved and got absorbed into fish and then those fish were caught and processed into fish oil, which caused a bunch of random people to start changing. It just didn't involve the royal family because that was still supposed to be a movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They probably would have done better if they had just made Inhumans a season of AoS. Daisy could tell Medusa off and Coulson could punch Maximus with his robot hand. Fitz and Simmons would adopt Lockjaw.

Karnak and May would look at each other and just nod and walk off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They wanted it to be bigger than Shield, that's what the whole IMAX partnership was for.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

They wanted it to be bigger than Shield, that's what the whole IMAX partnership was for.

They wanted it to be bigger than SHIELD and then only changed the cameras and scratched their heads. It's going to be big! Bigger than our other show! Without a bigger budget for visual FX AND with a shorter shooting schedule! HUGE!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

They wanted it to be bigger than SHIELD and then only changed the cameras and scratched their heads. It's going to be big! Bigger than our other show! Without a bigger budget for visual FX AND with a shorter shooting schedule! HUGE!

Is Scott Buck just Trump?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

twistedmentat posted:

Is Scott Buck just Trump?

Full disclosure, I originally typed "YUGE" but changed it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So hey Black Lightning is really good. If you're staying away because you don't like the CW shows, stop doing that because this is A Good Show™

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So hey Black Lightning is really good. If you're staying away because you don't like the CW shows, stop doing that because this is A Good Show™

This is truth.

Hell tune in for the great loving music if anything.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven't seen it yet but I just can't get past how stupid his suit looked in the trailers

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

This is truth.

Hell tune in for the great loving music if anything.
The music is great indeed. I hope we get to hear "Am I a Good Man" at some point.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omg chael crash posted:

I haven't seen it yet but I just can't get past how stupid his suit looked in the trailers

I agree with you on this. I really don't like his suit. Luckily everything besides his suit is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I like his suit(it lights up!) but watching him kicking rear end in that security footage wearing a comics accurate getup got me thinking why didn't they just go with that?