Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBMSoBdIzY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

getting a real laser_beam_on_principle_skinners_head.gif vibe here

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

SomethingJones posted:

He has his hood up, therefore he is cold, therefore this is an Austin Dev

He has his hood up because he's embarrassed and trying to keep a low profile before his departure from the company in a couple of weeks time.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

e:nvm img tags just broke for me

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Basicly, with regards to the CIG :woof: situation it comes down to the commandos relying on the chewbacca defense:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So they're going to start work on one of the original 5 ships sometime in the later half of the year, and there is a distinct chance it won't be done until sometime in 2019.

I'd ask if backers were upset by this news but I already know the answer.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Virtual Captain posted:

I found a little more time:

:perfect:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Virtual Captain posted:

<3

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

:five::five::five::perfect::five::five::five:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So....? This just in Dev unit tests code. What does she think normally happens?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Looks like the dude blew up a spaceship full of boxes

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

XK posted:

Why would you make people have insurance for vehicles in a game?

Because when everything is about money, some loving idiot thinks that making some nerd buy a ship for $300, and forget to pay insurance, is going to make them buy another for $300 when it gets blown up.

Some people may genuinely be this stupid, but the reality is the populace would throw huge upheavals of rage.

This is all part of why the very core design of Star Citizen is terrible. Just nobody wants to realize it yet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Nice server... would be a shame if something were to happen to it."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

This is all part of why the very core design of Star Citizen is terrible. Just nobody wants to realize it yet.

Nice try, FUDoonie. Star Citizen's design will reshape the genre when it is released in 2014 before it gets stale.

Nov 24, 2014

SomethingJones posted:

Calling All Devs
Jan 22 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJcfJOj1-a8

Q:
Is buying ships with uAEC still a planned feature for alpha 3.1?
Outlook not so good

Q:
What are the plans for adding uAEC transfers between player characters?
Reply hazy try again

Q:
What about plans for a traditional MMO trade window?
Don't count on it

Q:
Will we see hotfixes between 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.2?
As I see it, yes

Q:
What is the plan for our Freelancer variants?
Ask again later

Q:
Is the current way we spawn ships and vehicles in game the FINAL implementation? IE, using a terminal and popping them in?
My reply is no

Translated

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development

quote:

The announcement was made in a blog post by Rust designer Garry Newman, which detailed what, exactly, the game's transition from Early Access to its version 1.0 release will mean. And that can probably be summarised as 'not all that much, beyond a price increase'.

"We're not planning any big reveals, launch parties, around the world tours or cash prize giveaways for this event. We're not going to move staff onto other projects", explained Newman, "It's very much going to happen without much fuss. It's business as usual."

"Please try not to compare the game to some other finished game or some idealised version you have in your head," said Newman, "Compare the game now to how it was when we entered Early Access. That's the delta that we feel qualifies us to leave Early Access. Think of it more like we're leaving Prototyping and entering Alpha."

In other words, says Newman, the game is far from "done", and Facepunch isn't suggesting otherwise - as its continuing roadmap of upcoming features demonstrates.

"Part of leaving Early Access is making the development more stable", explained Newman, "That means that not rushing in features and fixes that end up breaking something else." To that end, the developer will be transitioning from a weekly update schedule to a monthly one, with a stable Main Branch in place for monthly updates and irregular hotfixes, alongside a Staging Branch that will continue to receive "bleeding edge" daily updates.

As for that price increase, Rust will cost $34.99 USD, up from $19.99 USD, when it leaves Early Access on February 8th. "It sucks, it's going to cost more," said the developer, "but this was always the deal. And it's not like we're increasing the price to $60 without any warning. This is one of the main reasons we've decided to post this blog rather than quietly slipping out of Early Access, we felt like this is something you'll all want to be warned about.

"Thanks to everyone that took the risk by buying our Early Access game. It hasn't always been the most stable, optimized, balanced experience - but we hope you don't feel like we've let you down. Thank you for making our game better."

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

You think rendering chats comes for free, pal? The letter P alone is comprised over 15,000 polygons! Many of them eight sided! Don’t believe me? Look it up, motherfucker, I’ll wait. So you want to yell “I parped myself like a poopy programmer that pilfered pledges from pedophiles”, well nice job dummy. That’s like 100 million little triangles or something. But wait dipshit- we still have to render and track those chats on the server for EVERY SINGLE PLAYER THAT GETS THEM. So in reality that works out to... I don’t know... a zillion trillion polys? I’m bad at math. Anyway, that’s the price you pay for FIDELITY, Sparky. Don’t like it? Then the answer is obvious: SHUT THE gently caress UP!

And... scene.

Got a refund.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Hobold posted:

Good lord this was painful to read.

Why is everything bracketed with nebulous, future tense words?

There isn't anything set in stone, no schedule, just whims of a madman and chasing the next best chance at making money.

They don't seem to have a clue in hell what they are actually doing, supposed to be doing, or even what they want to do.

There is still no design document. Let’s wrap our minds around that fact, just savor it, and swallow it along with the bitter bile of crushed dreams.

Without it they can’t plan, they can’t predict, they can’t make any accurate statements about the future at all.

The game is hosed, and it’s all Chris’ fault.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SoftNum posted:

So....? This just in Dev unit tests code. What does she think normally happens?

I think it's supposed to invoke some sort of caring for the dev's themselves

OMG that one coder I saw on ATV last week is IN GAME RIGHT NOW I better go join him RIGHT NOW and we can talk about all the COOL space adventures that will be possible soon!!

That's the world CIG live in, they think they're all rock stars that people want an autograph

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

iospace posted:

I still find it hilarious that CIG decided to try to piggyback on top of an existing engine. Frontier decided to make their own engine which, apart from instancing issues, works very well.

The problem is that Frontier has been building games and staying current with technology and networking capabilities.

CR had an idea. He didn’t have the skills to even build himself a baby demo to show off. He relied on the shoulders of CryTek to make his dream come true. But he lied about it all. Even showed videos of himself “programming”, had his wife talk about his late night power coding sprees (while she herself not joking talked about her multiple degrees, hilarious marine biology and shoes and marketing stories the likes of which were hugely unbelievable).

So, there you go. A company built on lies from day zero. With CRs hubris and complete lack of appreciation, he decided it was a good idea to piss all over the people who got him where he was.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Virtual Captain posted:

Artwork of this caliber shouldn't be monopolized by goons. Surely the men of taste on reddit would appreciate its genius.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

FlyingKipper posted:

There is still no design document. Let’s wrap our minds around that fact, just savor it, and swallow it along with the bitter bile of crushed dreams.

Without it they can’t plan, they can’t predict, they can’t make any accurate statements about the future at all.

The game is hosed, and it’s all Chris’ fault.

I defended this poo poo show for a couple years. They did a really good job of looking like they were actually making progress, before most of the original bunch left.

Now its just loving painful to think they don't even have something as simple as a roadmap this many years in. Not even a basic framework. Just a list of promises, without any kind of feasibility work up.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

This is great news and I want to thank you for getting me into this game. It's still fun even though I am really bad at it.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

The Titanic posted:

CR had an idea.

While I understand and agree with your point, claiming that Chris had an idea is a little generous. He had an inkling, at best a notion. The rest of this mess was just a perfect storm of people, at every step along the way, failing to rein him in. Like a giant toddler who finally gets to dress himself and ends up choking on a sock.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

I don’t personally stand with anyone who obsessively brags on the internet about how great and rich they are. His words almost resemble those of a nice person, but his actions reek of pure vanity and self aggrandizement. He “donates” obscene amounts of money to one of the most unethical for-profit companies I’ve ever seen, uses them as tax write-offs like he’s hand-delivering clean water and goats to starving African villages, and then posts pictures of his receipts and file folders while hi-fiving himself about his disposable income.

Just because he’s better than the worst irredeemable scumbag SC cultists doesn’t mean he’s good.

Can’t help but to agree with this.

I guess the “a good Star Citizen supporter” bar is pretty low at this point. :shrug:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

this was a worthy read. Thanks for taking the time

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Regrettable posted:

Good news, friend! You won't need to call that supervisor after all.

:lol:

You should print this out and hang it around other real diplomas and degrees and certificates, just to see who is paying attention.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Guy in the middle looks like he fell out of an episode of Deadliest Catch: 80’s Wannabe Nerd Episode.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh oh my god. This is almost too much for this thread to handle.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Nice try, FUDoonie. Star Citizen's design will reshape the genre when it is released in 2014 before it gets stale.

Well in -4 years we’ll know for sure! I personally believe everything Boo Huxley says and it’s totally unbiased and 100% real.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

While I understand and agree with your point, claiming that Chris had an idea is a little generous. He had an inkling, at best a notion. The rest of this mess was just a perfect storm of people, at every step along the way, failing to rein him in. Like a giant toddler who finally gets to dress himself and ends up choking on a sock.

Oh friend, he’s had an idea.

That idea is WW2 in space.

Now this is, unfortunately, the only idea he’s ever had. But it is an idea.

He’s been doing this idea since like what, 1995 or something?

I’d love to see a game from the Stimpire guy, fueled by the art of AdzAdama. Sadly for these guys though, as CR has discovered, artwork, no matter how good, doesn’t make game code magically appear out of thin air and form into your hugely complex video game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That was...:stonk:

Yeah folks, you should totally trust these chucklefucks to make a game with $176M.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DapperDon posted:

This is great news and I want to thank you for getting me into this game. It's still fun even though I am really bad at it.
The monthly patches are still coming fast and furious. My only reservation is I wish my character didn't look like one of my friends. It weirds me out.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm excited that Subnautica is having its launch livestream tomorrow.

Hopefully it'll start a few hours late and put aside some time for the devs to air their personal grievances so the experience isn't too disorientating.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm excited that Subnautica is having its launch livestream tomorrow.

Hopefully it'll start a few hours late and put aside some time for the devs to air their personal grievances so the experience isn't too disorientating.

Unknown Worlds has no clue about game development.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
These are the ideas Chris Roberts has had in his life:

Cinematic space sim
Cinematic space sim 2
Cinematic flight sim
Cinematic space sim + Elite
Cinematic space sim + Elite 2
Cinematic space sim 3, 4 etc.

with Microsoft:
Off-brand cinematic space sim
Off-brand cinematic space sim 2

And now,

Cinematic space sim + multiplayer

Where does he get all these ideas!?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Calling All Devs
Jan 22 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJcfJOj1-a8

Q:
Is buying ships with uAEC still a planned feature for alpha 3.1?

Todd Papy:
It is a planned feature, however with our current OPTIMISATION PLAN and everything like that I don't think it will be hitting in 3.1.

Q:
What are the plans for adding uAEC transfers between player characters?

Todd Papy:
So, ah, we actually already have that in the... in one of the DESIGNS for SERVICE BEACON, um... we understands... like... you know... if you go out on a mission with multiple characters... or multiple PLAYERS you want to be actually able to, ah... um... be able to go through and... and say, 'Hey, you know, I will give you a CUT of this', and... right now... we know you can't do that... the plan is... is to be part of the SERVICE BEACON design, whether or not that is the... the first TIER that ROLLS OUT, that's... that's... something that, um, basically Tony and I are still discussing.

Q:
What about plans for a traditional MMO trade window?

Todd Papy:
The... the... that is basically be a MOBIGLASS, that is... that is kinda SERVICE BEACON DESIGN of you know, hey, with the MOBIGLASS this is how I, um... basically, ah... create CONTRACTS, so on and so forth, we call it a SERVICE BEACON but it's... it's part of the MOBIGLASS and... and how that would work were, um... it's PLAYER INITIATED CONTRACTS so if you, um... are a HAULER and you want to hire a bunch of MERCHS or you're a PIRATE and you wanna be able to PAY... you know... basically people for a day's work... you know, that's... that's what will... we'll be WORKING TOWARDS

Q:
Will we see hotfixes between 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.2?

Jeffrey Pease (DevOps Engineer):
Ok, ah... to answer that question probably the first thing we need to do is establish what we consider a hotfix because different software companies and even different videogame companies have different definitions for what a hotfix is.

For CIG typically we consider the term HOTFIX to be for something we apply to an ENVIRONMENT that's already been DEPLOYED... but where the fix isn't something that's normally included... that... for the build that environment's hosting... so like in a worst case scenario if... if we were to RE-DEPLOY the exact same CHANGELIST that our backers can see in the LAUNCHER for the version of the game, those fixes wouldn't be included for a re-deployed version of that game because they were added after the fact...

What this tends to mean is that... the fixes can go into the game without players actually noticing that they've been added UNLESS we specifically tell them... ah, to answer the question as to whether we will SEE any hotfixes... the plain fact is that we have already hotfixed a number of problems that were encountered over the holiday break, Ahmed and Bryce as well as Tony and some of our other engineers and programmers were looking into several issues that... were happening with... the DIFFUSION GATEWAY and... our SHOPPING SYSTEM and... the PROBABILITY VOLUME SERVICE because we had a bunch of problems where... gameservers weren't recovering their ability to list items in the SHOPS... we had a bu... a problem where... the PROBABILITY VOLUME SERVICE was spawning a mission that was causing the gameservers to deadlock, uh...

We had... a really strange issue where the gameservers were causing the SHIPS to become PARENTS and CHILDREN of OTHER SHIPS which caused the CIRCULAR REFERENCE... and then when the CACHE tried to clear the data, because it was a circular reference, the cache would DEADLOCK because it was just keep going ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND AND ROUND and uh...

And then... uh... another one that actually... some of the hotfixes for the PERSISTENCE CACHE that we did were to put in additional LOGGING so that we could figure out what was causing it to deadlock and then TOM SAWYER ended up figuring out that the deadlock was being caused by that CYCLICAL REFERENCE and then we also did a hotfix to the GENERAL INSTANCE MANAGER because I discovered that it was trying to matchmake people into matches... that weren't supposed to let people in once they'd already started... so for example for VANDUUL SWARM and um... PIRATE SWARM and... RACE MODES... once the game would START, people can't join, but it was trying to put them IN and it was telling them, 'you can't join that because it's already started', so another one of the hotfixes we put in was to make it so that the GIM would stop doing that...

And uh... we also have... this... new FEATURE... for 3.0... for the BACKEND SERVICES where we... have... a DEDICATED PROCESS that will take all of the items that people have purchased on our PLATFORM... and... add them to their ACCOUNT in game... originally the servers that would do that would be the same servers players were ON and if one of those servers CRASHED it would cause problems with items being missing and stuff

So now we have a dedicated process for THAT... that... because it's not shared with instances that players are playing on we don't have to worry about it crashing in the middle of someone getting the items into their account... one of the GIM hotfixes that we added was to exclude those specific processes from the ROLLING RESTARTS THAT WE DO TO THE GAMESERVERS... uh, I think that covered most if not all of the hotfixes that we did.

Q:
What is the plan for our Freelancer variants?

Kirk Tome (Lead Tech Designer):
Ah, the FREELANCER, ahm... OK well, uh... it... it IS one of the original five ships for Star Citizen that were planned, um... and we do know that backers are waiting for them, uh... ah... for the... for them... so for that we do apologize... uhm... I do know that they are scheduled to BEGIN WORK, uh, in the LATTER HALF OF THE YEAR, um.. by the... uh... UK TEAM, um... this... um... doesn't, uh, GUARANTEE that they'll be DONE by... by the end of the year but... uh... we are STRIVING to make that happen... um... and... um... we do... we do know how much the um... the ah... the (mumble mumble mumble) so we... we ARE working on them and we, ah... DO (mumble) to get them STARTED... and we'll TRY to get them COMPLETED um...

Unfortunately as you know um... we do have a lot of ships that we're uh... MAKING and a lot of FEATURES that need to go in the game that also require artists and design and engineering work, so... things do get pushed back but um... but they're on the SCHEDULE so uh... we'll... we'll... TRY to get them OUT, ah... by... by the end of this year

Um... also uh... something that in OTHER NEWS the 300 SERIES rework uh, is also on the schedule for this year and uh, that will be done by the team in LA so um... we'll um... we'll be working on it here locally

Q:
Is the current way we spawn ships and vehicles in game the FINAL implementation? IE, using a terminal and popping them in?

Luke Pressley (Lead Designer):
Um, there are definitely further plans for development, ehrm... So, the TERMINAL probably, like... the notion of going to a TERMINAL probably won't change, eh... ehm... the TERMINAL will definitely change, the UI on there will get major improvements... ehm... and the kind of FLOW of it... but... as for like POPPING IN AND OUT? I guess the reason you're seeing so much popping in and out is because places like OLISAR and GRIMHEX... ah... it only has landing pads right now it doesn't have the HANGARS... Erm... URH!

You see these things pop in and out on these landing pads it SHOULD be a hangar.

It... wuh... lak... eh OLISAR is like a LEGACY kind of thing we just build on and build on until we finally get like the TRUCK STOP and uh, you know, we'll get a... a FINAL HOTEL eventually and it'll have some HANGARS and that means that all of this popping in and out will happen AWAY from the player, you know, he won't be able to go in that hangar before he has access to the ship and then he'll be granted access to the hangar and he'll go in... now, that's not to say that we can ever completely get rid of popping in and out, ehm...

I mean for instance when a player logs out, you know, his ship hangs around for an amount of time and then it has to go somewhere, ehm... and then a player logging in, I mean obviously that ship has to come in... some... I mean... where he parked it before, if he left it, up... you know... on his... um... NOT STORED

So I don't think we'll get rid of it entirely, we are a game after all, but... we, you know... you won't be seeing them popping in and out on the landing pads as often as you do now.

OLISAR is a MONSTROSITY, I mean, you're about to see something that's about to get even WORSE because you know, the RECLAIMER is HUGE, it's... it's almost the size of the IDRIS and... eh... that's coming soon, so we've had to just... the lLARGE landing pad that is already like a football field is now gonna be like two football fields on there...

So I mean it's good because we don't, we don't WASTE like final art or anything like that, we just, you know EXPAND UPON this thing until we've got... until we KNOW all the things that it needs to do, ehm... and then... and once we've got that we can build this thing PROPERLY, knowing all the pieces

Hmm I skipped through that mostly, but half the people look surprised to even be there, the 2nd to last dude Hobo has to ask him 2 or 3 times if he is ready 'remember we spoke about this... do you have time for me now?' like gently caress guys, get it together

If you're not going to tape things a day or two in advance, at least get everyone on board

It's funny how their production quality has gone from wannabe AAA studio now it's sliding downhill to crappy webcam videos with a hobo sitting 2 inches from the camera

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

That was...:stonk:

Yeah folks, you should totally trust these chucklefucks to make a game with $176M.

I have a feeling you backed starbound didnt you?