Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ghostlight posted:

II don't believe at any point he sat down and thought about what he was conveying beyond his usual egg-salad of manchild pandering, and I don't think that's a failure in craft or a failure in message, but a lack of seeing what he does as art; as a communication to other people, rather than simply a bunch of drawings people will briefly look at for a minute or two and be entertained. I'm sure he would disagree, but I see this attitude everywhere in his work - I would say it's impossible for him not to have this perspective because so much of his art is directed toward, indulges in, and is driven by, the unapolegetic passive consumerism of nerd culture. It revels and celebrates it in a way that even Working Daze with its most hamfisted pop culture references does not.

Yeah, I think what is truly dire about Intelligent Life is just that it's so lazy, or, to put it more generously, that Reddick knows exactly how low he can set the bar and still putter on. It wants to press one of a very limited numbers of very rudimentary affective buttons for the audience, and it wants to press them in the most straightforward way possible. It's there in every aspect of it-- his expressions and poses are exaggerated and broad, but repetitive, and there's no thought as to how his character models fit together. Look at Marge and Homer Simpson-- we can tell at a glance that Homer is overweight and slovenly, that Marge is kind of shapely but dresses like a frump, but despite their obvious physical differences its very easy to show them doing things together, such as dancing, chatting, even just walking side by side, because Matt Groening put some drat effort into making a visually consistent universe for them to inhabit. Gwen and Skip look like they're from entirely different planets, which is underlined now that they always appear together because his ability to portray perspective has become a total nightmare. The writing's the same way, and I think you're absolutely spot on about it being sitcom-serial. He doesn't do done-in-one strips, but he also isn't interested in telling a long-term story about characters developing and changing. Which is fine-- not everything needs to be Funky Winkerbean (nothing should be Funky Winkerbean) but it makes his attempts to occasionally sling a message feel extra facile and insulting.

And it's that there is a base line of competence there-- he does have a nice clean line, and the few facial expressions he bothers to use are nicely expressive in a lot of cases-- that makes it such an irritating strip. This thread has exposed me to so much weird and ambitious stuff in this medium, be it sublime or abysmal, that to see somebody just coast feels like such a waste. He demands as much of his reader as he demands of himself, which is to say, as you pointed out, nothing more than the most passive, narcotic consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What in the everloving gently caress, Dez? She's trying to learn to dress sexy in her new body and this is what you come up with? Her sweats complemented her body better. Make her hair bigger and she can play somebody's very professional mom in a 90's sitcom.

In other news, Ces Marciuliano and Hector Cantu were on an episode of All Things Considered. If the fact that it's an NPR show wasn't a clue, yes, they do talk politics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set thinks ahead.

Working Daze is...uh...what?

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is drowning, there is no sign of land.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is the Rabbit Actually Named Fumi? Maybe!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is...uh...what?

1950s The Fly, and as reference "jokes" go it's at least more obscure than the usual fare.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery, in which a slogan is created.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nope, still love Bad Machinery :allears:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Nope, still love Bad Machinery :allears:

I don't mean this as an insult- I like the comic too and read it when I have the time. But what exactly is the point of Bad Machinery? I keep expecting it to be about a single overarching story that has something to do with the title but instead it just keeps jumping between these different sets of students who only vaguely know each other and have completely different motivations. Is that really the whole premise, or are we building up to the premise finally being explained?

Tracksuit

The last panel there feels like the punchline to a political cartoon. If political cartoons were good, anyway.

Instead the jokes is about how royalty never looks at commoner's faces, instead preferring to just talk at them. Which I've been led to believe is or at least was mostly true.

Mother From Another Country

This is gonna wreak havoc on the stalk market.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 27, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 27, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 27, 1986)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't mean this as an insult- I like the comic too and read it when I have the time. But what exactly is the point of Bad Machinery? I keep expecting it to be about a single overarching story that has something to do with the title but instead it just keeps jumping between these different sets of students who only vaguely know each other and have completely different motivations. Is that really the whole premise, or are we building up to the premise finally being explained?

There is not any deeper meaning to the title than as a reference to a song that the author likes (that's actually his youtube channel, there).

But there isn't a central premise outside of 'kids solve mysteries'. Each arc is sorted into cases. Kind of like a Famous Five type-arrangement (if the Famous Five were divided down gender lines and were friendly-ish rivals). That's not to say there isn't continuity from one case to another, but there's not some overarching mystery to be solved like, say, Gravity Falls.

He even did mock book covers for each case! (I was going to post this back at the start, but it would have ruined the punchline of one of today's strips).

While the mystery teens are working at cross purposes, they are working on the same case.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

While I have read plenty of references both inside and outside the comic to mystery solving teens, I can not for the life of me figure out what exactly the mystery is that they are trying to solve. Has it been explicitly stated? Because I feel really dumb for not being able to figure it out on my own.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduke posted:

And it's that there is a base line of competence there-- he does have a nice clean line, and the few facial expressions he bothers to use are nicely expressive in a lot of cases-- that makes it such an irritating strip. This thread has exposed me to so much weird and ambitious stuff in this medium, be it sublime or abysmal, that to see somebody just coast feels like such a waste. He demands as much of his reader as he demands of himself, which is to say, as you pointed out, nothing more than the most passive, narcotic consumption.

This is really well said; I've felt similar frustrations with Reddick's work. I've really been enjoying your posts in this thread and I'd love it if you kept it up!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Some Guy TT posted:

While I have read plenty of references both inside and outside the comic to mystery solving teens, I can not for the life of me figure out what exactly the mystery is that they are trying to solve. Has it been explicitly stated? Because I feel really dumb for not being able to figure it out on my own.

I've not been reading it but I believe that the boys are trying to work out why their local football team is cursed, and the girls are trying to stop the development of a new stadium by the big-money new Russian owner. I imagine these two plot threads will combine at some point.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

I forget what I said ages ago, but Reddick blocked me on twitter. Probably telling him his comic is poo poo. That's my story.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, you see-

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've not been reading it but I believe that the boys are trying to work out why their local football team is cursed, and the girls are trying to stop the development of a new stadium by the big-money new Russian owner. I imagine these two plot threads will combine at some point.
Erm, what he said.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Christ I hate the Tinkersons. There are some strips in this thread that I dislike, but I'm able to just scroll past them and it's no big deal. But the Tinkersons is so hideously offensive in its presentation -- the "artwork" is ugly to look at and the "jokes" are the most banal, lovely tripe -- that it's like a giant black hole of suckitude that draws my attention in and then claws at my eyeballs with rusty pitchforks.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Christ I hate the Tinkersons. There are some strips in this thread that I dislike, but I'm able to just scroll past them and it's no big deal. But the Tinkersons is so hideously offensive in its presentation -- the "artwork" is ugly to look at and the "jokes" are the most banal, lovely tripe -- that it's like a giant black hole of suckitude that draws my attention in and then claws at my eyeballs with rusty pitchforks.

At every workplace there's 'that guy' who hang around the coffee pot in the break room and slurps coffee while telling people lovely 'case of the mondays'-style jokes.

The Tinkersons is that guy in comic strip form.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

February 18th, was it? Cause he's not even remotely setting up this big final storyarc. I don't want to see it, but he might as well give a poo poo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Hulk

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

And we're finally caught back up!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Yvonmukluk posted:

There is not any deeper meaning to the title than as a reference to a song that the author likes (that's actually his youtube channel, there).

Oh, poo poo, that is not a reference I expected to see around here!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

February 18th, was it? Cause he's not even remotely setting up this big final storyarc. I don't want to see it, but he might as well give a poo poo.
It was announced right at the new year, and if it was a surprise to him it could be this is the backlog of strips he already did. But it does appear we're going to get a rushed finale.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Day two of "Belittle Rusty" week.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

drat these 17-year cicadas!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"You all must have been 'straight buggin' about that, as it were."

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You all must have been 'straight buggin' about that, as it were."
"Our stalking you must have seemed very creepy and stalkerish to you."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
June is being a straight up real oval office here.

Older couple suddenly find out their dead son had a child and oh no they aren't waiting patiently for the law to decide what they should do

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Jesus tits, what a stupid storyline. Are there any lawyers/legal-types in this thread who can confirm whether or not this little meeting would end up getting the Morgans' lawyer disbarred in real life? At the very least it feels exceptionally unethical.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry dude I am a lawyer but I haven't read a Rex Morgan in years and don't intend to start.

So Poptepic is popular huh? You keep posting these remarkable tribute things.

Chin posted:

It seems extreme to say that the Kieran Meehan's brain has broken because he pokes fun at silly hypersensitive bureaucracy or has a character be critical of universities.

I'm not saying Meehan doesn't have some dumb opinions, maybe he does, but it's really dumb to immediately go, "Oh god problematic notions problematic notions his brain is broken he's ALT-RIGHT!" because a character in a comic strip is not portrayed as sharing all of your views.

I too have noticed the slight uptick in social commentary in P&C but some of the reactions in the thread are hilariously melodramatic.

Hey, don't engage in hyperbole when you try to decry hyperbole. To go off on a concoction of "problematic alt-right broke-brain" posting like that when I, at least, only said one of those things, suggests you have a chip on your shoulder. Also, regarding the university nonsense, it isn't Doctor Peel who simply seems to have a thing against uni. His clients keep bringing it up and so it seems less "a character trait" than "something the author pushes." Regarding the Defoe stuff, we'll see how it develops. I'd say the strip is on a sort of probation cuz I'm still reading every post but it's mighty suspicious lately.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 23, 2018

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Aztec posted:

Older couple suddenly find out their dead son had a child and oh no they aren't waiting patiently for the law to decide what they should do

On the other hand - mom of young children has people following her kids. No proof that they are who they say they are, either. A lot of moms would go DEFCON all over that, and ask questions later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, I don't like Pop Team Epic at all.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have to say I'm on the Morgans' side on this one. They should have at least tried to handle it directly by contacting the lawyer and working out a visit instead of following them around.

I think June responded to that emotionally, sure, but I think she has every right to. And I would be shocked if this storyline doesn't end with the grandparents being invited into the Morgan extended family.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And as the kids say, our lawyer is "totally fired" and as it's commonly and popularly set, you guys are "gonna get hosed" in court

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

Man, I don't like Pop Team Epic at all.
I find it really hit or miss, with more misses than hits. Although I think some of that is because of the jokes that rely on references, so if you have no clue what they're referencing, it falls completely flat.

I found the first episode of the anime funnier than most of the strips(something about the voice acting & pacing makes it click better), but I can also see it wearing thin for an entire series.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Haifisch posted:

I find it really hit or miss, with more misses than hits. Although I think some of that is because of the jokes that rely on references, so if you have no clue what they're referencing, it falls completely flat.

I found the first episode of the anime funnier than most of the strips(something about the voice acting & pacing makes it click better), but I can also see it wearing thin for an entire series.

Not with some of the voice actors they get making act out these stupid strips. Episode 3's was amazing and I'm still so happy about the B side :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

You have to remember that the kid was dropped off with the Morgan’s by his terminally ill mother, who then vanished to go die on her own. June is taking the adoptive mother role very seriously.