Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

like fake as in nobody acknowledges bi people as existing ("you're just confused!") or fake as in you personally feel like a fake cuz you're married?

both i guess. i've run into a lot of supposed lgbt spaces where people claimed that bi people don't exist and i also sometimes feel like it doesn't matter that i am bi because to the outside world i look exactly like a straight guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

both i guess. i've run into a lot of supposed lgbt spaces where people claimed that bi people don't exist

bi erasure is real hosed up yo. are we talkin' internet spaces or real life? bi people definitely exist, there's like 8 of them in this thread (including me) :v:

and i also sometimes feel like it doesn't matter that i am bi because to the outside world i look exactly like a straight guy.

i know this is easier said than done but don't worry about what the outside world thinks of you, you're attracted to what you're attracted to and whatever the hell you "look like" to the rest of the world doesn't change that.

also if you'd like to talk about it or personally flex your bi-ness in this thread i'm sure we'd be happy to talk, i know back when i was feeling real confused and not really fully "engaged" in my own sexuality, talking about it with like-minded people always helped me reassert myself to... myself i guess? :shrug:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

bi erasure is real hosed up yo. are we talkin' internet spaces or real life? bi people definitely exist, there's like 8 of them in this thread (including me) :v:

It's 9 is you include us pan people ;)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m going to dip my toes in and change my hairstyle to minimize my massive widows peak and grow it out nicely. See how it feels. Shaving is such a pain in the rear end either way that I’m considering laser hair removal no matter what happens.

i need to look into that poo poo too, at some point.

that and maybe braiding my hair. it's long enough to do that now, i think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i've had long hair for a while to try to be a bit more androgynous cuz i'd like to think i'm moderately genderfluid but i'm also a fat nerd so a lot of the time it just looks like gross fat nerd hair :sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

did you write a medium post along the same lines as this or am i having deja vu?

Yeah I wrote a short post but it's focus was different (and less detailed, I've had more time to think about this stuff)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Glazier posted:

i think "bi" is code for "pan but everyone knows what it means"

(maybe???)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

atomicthumbs posted:

(maybe???)

Works for me!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

atomicthumbs posted:

(maybe???)

For most people itt probably, but I've met irl people who were very serious about their bi identity being exclusionary of trans people. Idgi but they were very dead set that they only suck dick if it's attached to a man bod and pussy havers should not have body hair.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah there's plenty of people who are very adamant about their guy on guy dick sucking being 100% heteronormative which is super weird

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

If you're wondering, I have to sleep on my back for 5 more weeks and it's really loving with my sleep :(

does it help to put pillows all around you and maybe under your legs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's always been the way I understood bi / pan though. Like bi only interested in cis guys or girls, and pan is anything goes.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

idk why, but "pan people" made me lol irl

im more of a skillet person, but you do you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

That's always been the way I understood bi / pan though. Like bi only interested in cis guys or girls, and pan is anything goes.

i've never met someone that was bi that was exclusively interested in cis people and wasn't also into trans/nb peeps :shrug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

cis autodrag posted:

For most people itt probably, but I've met irl people who were very serious about their bi identity being exclusionary of trans people. Idgi but they were very dead set that they only suck dick if it's attached to a man bod and pussy havers should not have body hair.

fuckin terbs

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Helianthus Annuus posted:

idk why, but "pan people" made me lol irl

im more of a skillet person, but you do you

Funnily enough my pan flag sticker on my car actually has a skillet on it just cause I was tired of that loving joke. 🤣

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
oh btw i never got a chance to tell you that I really liked this editorial style you came up with to deal with a pronoun change

Glazier posted:

If I was running a news organization the style we would use would be to keep the quotes but disclaim and make clear we altered the pronouns or deadname. For example “Back when I first met [Stewart], [he] had the well earned reputation of being a hard worker.”

it's concise, it keeps the context clear, and its respectful to the subject. its everything i ever wanted :allears:

also it reminds me of that thread a while ago with a guy claiming to be an alien. he would use this exact same style when talking about alien concepts that didn't translate very well. i dunno where the original thread is, but someone put all the content here http://mrboone.kequc.com/

one of my favorite threads, even though its fake (probably)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Helianthus Annuus posted:

oh btw i never got a chance to tell you that I really liked this editorial style you came up with to deal with a pronoun change

it's concise, it keeps the context clear, and its respectful to the subject. its everything i ever wanted :allears:

also it reminds me of that thread a while ago with a guy claiming to be an alien. he would use this exact same style when talking about alien concepts that didn't translate very well. i dunno where the original thread is, but someone put all the content here http://mrboone.kequc.com/

one of my favorite threads, even though its fake (probably)

thanks, I wish I got to write as much as I did when I was in college, but I just don’t have the time anymore. :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think these days most people use bi and pan interchangeably, but there is some subset of people using the label bi specifically because they are trans exclusionary. They're stupid assholes ruining the word bi for all the cool bisexual people out there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it would have never occurred to me before that people would use bi as trans exclusionary.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it works out because when you see one of those trans-exclusive jerks you can say "bi bi" and walk away :haw:

(i hope this joke isn't panned too heavily)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Hate.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zamujasa posted:

it works out because when you see one of those trans-exclusive jerks you can say "bi bi" and walk away :haw:

(i hope this joke isn't panned too heavily)

You forgot one bi :haw:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Glazier posted:

You forgot one bi :haw:

it ain't no lie i also thought of that. but mainly thought of the tv commercial for darren's dance moves.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
interview for a job i pretty much don't want tomorrow woo

no idea how im going to dress, even trans aside my interview clothes are a mess

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
good luck regardless.

I’m eyeing the exit from my current job not because I dislike it (the opposite actually) rather there’s some culture poo poo going on at levels above me that’s making me extremely uncomfortable.

At least I have something while I look for something new.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

UberJew posted:

interview for a job i pretty much don't want tomorrow woo

no idea how im going to dress, even trans aside my interview clothes are a mess

Always worth it just for practice!

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

both i guess. i've run into a lot of supposed lgbt spaces where people claimed that bi people don't exist and i also sometimes feel like it doesn't matter that i am bi because to the outside world i look exactly like a straight guy.

coming out is a continuous process. i mean I'm pretty fruity, but i still have to come out to people when they mistake me for heterosexual.

i mean i get "brothers?" when i'm out with my family because that's the schema people have for three dudes going grocery shopping and not keeping 15 feet between them at all times.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ultravoices posted:

coming out is a continuous process. i mean I'm pretty fruity, but i still have to come out to people when they mistake me for heterosexual.

i mean i get "brothers?" when i'm out with my family because that's the schema people have for three dudes going grocery shopping and not keeping 15 feet between them at all times.

Do you get asked if you're splitting the check every time you go out for dinner too? That poo poo drives me crazy. Waiter will watch you hold hands and still ask like they need to let you know you're violating their norms.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

bi people definitely outnumber (i think the numbers bandied about lately are 3-4x) the purely homo oriented, and not just in this thread.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cis autodrag posted:

Do you get asked if you're splitting the check every time you go out for dinner too? That poo poo drives me crazy. Waiter will watch you hold hands and still ask like they need to let you know you're violating their norms.

They ask that when I’m out for dinner with my mother.

...do they think I’m dating my mom? :ohno:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

oh every single time. it doesn't really bother me though, i just assume that it's easier to smash the split check button as early as possible in the POS process.

i handle the money 90% of the time, so it is a little funny when someone makes a comment about how nice i am to take my buddies out.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

ultravoices posted:

bi people definitely outnumber (i think the numbers bandied about lately are 3-4x) the purely homo oriented, and not just in this thread.
i've actually wondered if bi/pan people might actually outnumber heteros too, but i don't think there are stats to support that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've actually wondered if bi/pan people might actually outnumber heteros too, but i don't think there are stats to support that.

the kinsey scale is probably discredited somehow by now but i'd bet that there are more people who would score between 1 and 5 than people at 0 or 6, yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They ask that when I’m out for dinner with my mother.

...do they think I’m dating my mom? :ohno:

What are you doing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ultravoices posted:

oh every single time. it doesn't really bother me though, i just assume that it's easier to smash the split check button as early as possible in the POS process.

i handle the money 90% of the time, so it is a little funny when someone makes a comment about how nice i am to take my buddies out.

I'm not sure about that, because in the 8 years of my relationship before I transitioned we were never asked once about check splitting and it immediately started happening every time once I presented female

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

I'm not sure about that, because in the 8 years of my relationship before I transitioned we were never asked once about check splitting and it immediately started happening every time once I presented female

maybe i'm just giving myself a charitable explanation of other's behavior to keep from noticing. ;)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ultravoices posted:

maybe i'm just giving myself a charitable explanation of other's behavior to keep from noticing. ;)

Fair

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if nearly every hotel doesn't ask if you want two beds just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the kinsey scale is probably discredited somehow by now but i'd bet that there are more people who would score between 1 and 5 than people at 0 or 6, yes

once i learned that for a lot lot lot lot of guys homosexual desire is decoupled from homoromantic desire everything became so much clearer.