Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

poisonpill posted:

I believe this one. Anti-drug moms are like cultists
I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't realize they're mints the instant they opened the container. Strong mints smell, well, minty.

Plus the container would say they're mints, although I guess anti-drug mom might look just to be sure. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sweeperbravo posted:

I think sometimes it's ok because I've learned some cool things when people point out an inconsistnecy or something but sometimes things are just obviously fake and silley

I like the rabid analysis and thinking-through that goes on.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Hey, I don't post much but I've been using this thread rather heavily for my poo poo that didn't happen series on youtube so I figured it might be relevant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHspas8i_gQ

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Haifisch posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone wouldn't realize they're mints the instant they opened the container. Strong mints smell, well, minty.

Plus the container would say they're mints, although I guess anti-drug mom might look just to be sure. :tinfoil:

Personally I would have liked it to go the other way, where the kid convinces her mother to take one and it's mint flavoured LSD/ecstasy/PCP pills.

Could have ended up with the best STDH story ever. Like the famous facebook "hacking" story.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

DIED A VIRGIN
Dec 21, 2012

yes no yes no yes

EIGHTEEN TEACHERS AND THE PRINCIPAL

This is some grade A prime cut stdh and I’ve never seen it bless you for sharing.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
So after the arguments with the teacher, the falling grades, the massive stink the poster's mom made about them failing 3rd grade and the unreadable papers, the poster just happens to mention, on questioning, 'Oh yeah, they handcuff our left hands to the desk, I hadn't thought to mention that to you'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

So after the arguments with the teacher, the falling grades, the massive stink the poster's mom made about them failing 3rd grade and the unreadable papers, the poster just happens to mention, on questioning, 'Oh yeah, they handcuff our left hands to the desk, I hadn't thought to mention that to you'.

What? It’s first brought up in the first paragraph. For stdh that’s actually pretty well written.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

What? It’s first brought up in the first paragraph. For stdh that’s actually pretty well written.

Sure but we don’t tell Mom about getting handcuffed to our desks until the grades go down the tubes? Dead STDH giveaway

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually did get bullied by my kindergarten and first grade teacher (she was the same woman) into writing right-handed, but it wasn't anything as dramatic as handcuffing or beating us. She just told us we were wrong and put the pencil or crayon in our other hand when showing us the proper way to hold it. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a 6-year-old do that when they're still learning how to write in general.

It also stuck because now I'm right-handed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was fairly common in some British schools to smack or push the left hand away, to encourage "proper" penmanship, but that one-up war of bullshit pushes it too far.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My grandfather's generation was definitely ruler-slapped and otherwise bullied into right-handedness by teachers, but also that was three generations ago.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I was born in the 70s and there was little drama about it. When it became apparent that I was writing left-handed, my grandmother asked my dad if he was going to get me to switch and he was like "lol no" and that was the end of that.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I'm really glad it's not really a thing anymore, my oldest is a born righty with a half-useless left hand like me, but my younger two are happily ambidextrous and half the time my 5-year-old switches hands in the middle of drawing or writing because certain letters are easier to write with his left hand, I guess. I'm sure it'll even out and he'll end up favoring one or the other but at least we don't have to deal with them being pushed into being right-handed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheKennedys posted:

I'm really glad it's not really a thing anymore, my oldest is a born righty with a half-useless left hand like me, but my younger two are happily ambidextrous and half the time my 5-year-old switches hands in the middle of drawing or writing because certain letters are easier to write with his left hand, I guess. I'm sure it'll even out and he'll end up favoring one or the other but at least we don't have to deal with them being pushed into being right-handed.

Encourage him to dual-wield pens to write sentences with both hands alternating.

Then sell him to a freak show.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah that left-hand thing is STDH for sure, but I got yelled at in school for not being able to use a knife and fork or do up a tie 'properly'. I have to hold the fork in my right hand.

I'm right handed when I write, but I eat and tie knots left handed. My dad is the exact opposite; he's left handed but eats and ties knots right handed. His dad was the same as me. Freaky I guess. I also play guitar right handed. I dunno what the gently caress.

Anyway, just had this classic STDH pop up on facebook, now with extra bullshit, way more randomly placed and improperly used/typed ellipses, an out-of-nowhere complaint about tattoos and piercings and an ascii shrug at the end:

quote:

Yesterday after shopping in our local supermarket, I was in the queue at the Check Out, and heard when the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologised to the young girl & then sighed, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. You folk didn't do enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said "Ahh yes you're right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day." She sighed then continued:
Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles & beer bottles to the shops. The shops then sent them back to the plant to be washed, sterilized & refilled, so those same bottles were used over & over, thus REALLY were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Grocery stores put our groceries into brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) were not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalise our books on their brown paper bag/covers. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.
I remember how we walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store or office building; walked to the grocery store & didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go 200 yards.
. . . But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.
Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind & solar power really did dry our clothes back in our days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. . . . But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.
Back then we had one radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And if anyone did own a TV, it had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a football pitch. When cooking we blended & stirred by hand coz we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send by post, we used layers of old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity., , , , But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.
We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, & we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then. Back then, people took the bus & kids rode bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's expensive car or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing"..
Oh and we had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest leisure park.
. . . . But it so sad this current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then? . . . I think you should forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from some smart rear end young person. .. ...
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smart rear end who can't make change without the cash register telling them how much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why are the four commas after the word electricity?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

We used horrifically polluting sources of energy that powered our horribly inefficient electronics and vehicles, and we all died of preventable illnesses but damnit I'm not going to pay five pence for a shopping bag that I can reuse basically forever, it's my right to have paper bags that disintegrate if it's raining outside.

loving Beaker folk, coming over here with their drinking vessels. What's wrong with cupping water in your hands and lapping it up like a cat?!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Why are the four commas after the word electricity?

I'm thinking that either:

A) They were so enraptured by their ellipsis frenzy that they never noticed that they went from pressing the period key to pressing the comma key
B) The text was originally much, MUCH longer and the commas were left over from deleting large swathes of text
C) Facebook STDH'ers, like tropers, have their own secret code that is opaque to outsiders

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm thinking that either:

A) They were so enraptured by their ellipsis frenzy that they never noticed that they went from pressing the period key to pressing the comma key
B) The text was originally much, MUCH longer and the commas were left over from deleting large swathes of text
C) Facebook STDH'ers, like tropers, have their own secret code that is opaque to outsiders

I think all the ellipses beyond the first couple (at most), including the random commas, are where poo poo was added to the STDH - notice how they don't even appear until half way through (indicating a change in style, because people that use ellipses in STDH are almost universally terrible at writing) and they get WAY more erratic and incorrect in the last few lines.

I've definitely seen this story before without the last few paragraphs, too.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah that left-hand thing is STDH for sure, but I got yelled at in school for not being able to use a knife and fork or do up a tie 'properly'. I have to hold the fork in my right hand.

I'm right handed when I write, but I eat and tie knots left handed. My dad is the exact opposite; he's left handed but eats and ties knots right handed. His dad was the same as me. Freaky I guess. I also play guitar right handed. I dunno what the gently caress.

Anyway, just had this classic STDH pop up on facebook, now with extra bullshit, way more randomly placed and improperly used/typed ellipses, an out-of-nowhere complaint about tattoos and piercings and an ascii shrug at the end:

I appreciate the sentiment that baby boomers were only responsible for how the world operated before they reached adulthood.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I appreciate the sentiment that baby boomers were only responsible for how the world operated before they reached adulthood.

I think my favourite part is that even if you assume that all the nonsense that the imaginary old lady rants about was environmentally friendly (it isn't, but let's pretend) that it somehow justifies being lovely about the environment now.

First time I saw that STDH was when the UK government introduced a 5p (~7-8 cents) charge to have a plastic carrier bag when shopping at large retail chains. The charge goes directly to environmental charities. This had already been introduced in Wales a couple of years before to great success; people were reusing bags and plastic bag usage went down 90% in the first few weeks.

In England, the media went loving MENTAL about the idea of reusing bags or paying a tiny charge to get a new one. It's still been a huge success, despite people whining about it like two years later, and it's seen more than 80% fewer carrier bags used in England. Now, of course, the government is saying that it should be extended to all retailers and people are going mental about it again because, like in the STDH I posted, "I believe I was environmentally friendly in the past, and even though I wasn't I still have the right to be poo poo about it now!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm left handed, right eye dominant though. That makes shooting things fun. I got my Archery and Rifle Shooting merit badges in Boy Scouts though. And also a righty for guitar.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm left handed, right eye dominant though. That makes shooting things fun. I got my Archery and Rifle Shooting merit badges in Boy Scouts though. And also a righty for guitar.

Choose a side, flip-flopper.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'm right handed but a lot of very fine things like watch and necklace clasps I can only manage with my left hand (especially so now that my tremor is getting worse). So I have always worn a watch on the "wrong" wrist. I know plenty of people who play cricket and are right handed but bat left handed and so on.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I throw a baseball right-handed, but bowl left-handed. Fite me

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
For some strange reason I’ve always opened combination locks with my left hand. No idea why.

Edit: I also used to switch hit (:heysexy:) playing baseball growing up, which was weird because no one ever taught me to hit lefty.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
That's so funny, it's kinda like me: I pee with my left penis but I play video games with my right penis

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

That's so funny, it's kinda like me: I pee with my left penis but I play video games with my right penis

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Guys, you're gonna think this is crazy but even though I'm right-handed sometimes I do things with my left hand too and it's not just a dead wad of flash hanging from a noodly limb. I sure am wacky, huh guys?

I shitpost with my left

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

We used horrifically polluting sources of energy that powered our horribly inefficient electronics and vehicles, and we all died of preventable illnesses but damnit I'm not going to pay five pence for a shopping bag that I can reuse basically forever, it's my right to have paper bags that disintegrate if it's raining outside.

loving Beaker folk, coming over here with their drinking vessels. What's wrong with cupping water in your hands and lapping it up like a cat?!

You utter uppity bastards with your "hands". We just stick our faces in the water. Closer to nature AND it's what my parents, grandparents, and Albert Einstein did. Ya posh tart!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm right handed but a lot of very fine things like watch and necklace clasps I can only manage with my left hand (especially so now that my tremor is getting worse). So I have always worn a watch on the "wrong" wrist. I know plenty of people who play cricket and are right handed but bat left handed and so on.

FWIW, I have a buddy who had horrid palsy. He got the Deep Brain Stimulation implants. Note I said "had". (Unless he turns the controller off to demonstrate to people. Then it is back in seconds. Turns it back on, a few seconds later BAM!)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I have a colleague who was forcibly corrected to write with his right hand back in grade school in the 70’s, and as a result, holds his pen in an unusual grip. What's weirder, though, is he uses his left hand on his computer mouse!

I'm a lefty but this throws me for a complete loop every time. His mouse buttons are also swapped.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nth Doctor posted:

I have a colleague who was forcibly corrected to write with his right hand back in grade school in the 70’s, and as a result, holds his pen in an unusual grip. What's weirder, though, is he uses his left hand on his computer mouse!

I'm a lefty but this throws me for a complete loop every time. His mouse buttons are also swapped.

Mousing left hand is a really good way to prevent OOS. it's no good for gaming but fine for work once you're used to it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Quote-Unquote posted:

When I worked in retail, I was told at various times that the store could get in (nebulous) trouble or we could get fired if we didn't input the exact amount a customer gave us to pay, even for simple stuff, due to theft or fraud or whatever. I wonder if managers still use that excuse to browbeat their employees.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Mousing left hand is a really good way to prevent OOS. it's no good for gaming but fine for work once you're used to it.

I just can't. Lord knows I have tried. My Dad (rest in peace) was a southmouser and that anything else was absurd. (He also hated the keypad.)

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Quote-Unquote posted:

I think my favourite part is that even if you assume that all the nonsense that the imaginary old lady rants about was environmentally friendly (it isn't, but let's pretend) that it somehow justifies being lovely about the environment now.

First time I saw that STDH was when the UK government introduced a 5p (~7-8 cents) charge to have a plastic carrier bag when shopping at large retail chains. The charge goes directly to environmental charities. This had already been introduced in Wales a couple of years before to great success; people were reusing bags and plastic bag usage went down 90% in the first few weeks.

In England, the media went loving MENTAL about the idea of reusing bags or paying a tiny charge to get a new one. It's still been a huge success, despite people whining about it like two years later, and it's seen more than 80% fewer carrier bags used in England. Now, of course, the government is saying that it should be extended to all retailers and people are going mental about it again because, like in the STDH I posted, "I believe I was environmentally friendly in the past, and even though I wasn't I still have the right to be poo poo about it now!"

I used to work in Boulder, Colorado although I live about 20 miles away. Where I live, no one charges for bags. In Boulder, all grocery stores (or any store where food makes up more than 2% of all sales) have to charge five cents for plastic bags, as a city ordinance. People get really amazingly loving mad about a drugstore having the AUDACITY to charge FIVE WHOLE CENTS for a plastic bag. I can't even count the number of times that I started my sentence "Would you like a bag..." and the customer says 'yes,' but I as continue "....for five cents," suddenly it's all "WHAT, NO, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CHARGE FOR BAGS NOW!" But I guess the city ordinance was indeed successful, because I gave away a whole lot fewer bags when working at that store, all because people are such idiots about five goddamn cents.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/cheekiscrump/status/954070137556160512

Bragging about how much rear end you get might be the oldest form of stdh there is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I used to work in Boulder, Colorado although I live about 20 miles away. Where I live, no one charges for bags. In Boulder, all grocery stores (or any store where food makes up more than 2% of all sales) have to charge five cents for plastic bags, as a city ordinance. People get really amazingly loving mad about a drugstore having the AUDACITY to charge FIVE WHOLE CENTS for a plastic bag. I can't even count the number of times that I started my sentence "Would you like a bag..." and the customer says 'yes,' but I as continue "....for five cents," suddenly it's all "WHAT, NO, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CHARGE FOR BAGS NOW!" But I guess the city ordinance was indeed successful, because I gave away a whole lot fewer bags when working at that store, all because people are such idiots about five goddamn cents.

People hate being nickel and dimed, news at 11