Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Thanks!

On a different note: Has anyone ever actually done capital ship combat in FFG's system? If so, how'd it work out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

LeSquide posted:

Thanks!

On a different note: Has anyone ever actually done capital ship combat in FFG's system? If so, how'd it work out?

I'm definitely a big Rogue Trader Ship Combat defender. And it needs to be defended. Because while extremely fun, it has problems.

Not huge ones, mind. But out of the box, with a clever crew with some high stats, you're going to run into some fast wrinkles. Like, Macrocannon Broadsides one-shotting everything out of the sky, Lance Batteries being next to useless, having NPCs do a million actions each round, etc. But these are actually pretty easy to house-rule around and make it feel like it's supposed to, with having two city-sized battle churches punching it out in the void. If you're looking for specific rules tweaks I can post them, but in general the system is fun and rewarding.

I would recommend trying the Star Wars Armada game (or of course Battlefleet Gothic, which is 75% of the RPG Ship Combat rules already, but it's been out of print for a couple decades...) to get a general feel for how Space Combat works on the table. It can be really fun tweaking out your Frigate with just the right weapons and engines and using them to full effect against a pair of Heretic Pirates. I very much recommend Space Combat if your party is so inclined, just take some prep to make it work a bit cleaner.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

Here's a zip of Oggdude's character creator version 2.2.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnqv5wb3i005yfk/SWEotECharGen.zip?dl=0

thank you so much

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm not entirely sure if recommending you google "oggdude" and "big tent" at the same time is :filez: or not, so I won't do that.

I will mention that nerds have spent some time filling out some data sheets that may or may not be really goddamn useful when you print out the character sheets.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've been side eyeing this system for a long time now because I love story driven games but I'm also a major sucker for stupid nerd tables when it calls for it, so, this seemed right up my alley. My friends and I ran the EotE beginner adventure with custom characters on Mon, and even though we realized in retrospect we did literally almost everything we could do wrong (we didn't add difficulty dice to any shot we or the enemies took, for example), I am hooked hooked hooked. I have been delving through the core books for EotE and AoR over the last few days and every time I discover how something actually works I just keep thinking "man, this game is so elegant!"

I'm doing character prep with my friends for a planned campaign I am going to GM, and I was going to ask in here if there was any reason I couldn't run Edge races with Age classes....but my friend just noticed that the Smugger & Ace talent trees are exactly the same so I guess that answers my question there :v: Any reason I don't know or understand yet that would keep me from doing this, though?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

I've been side eyeing this system for a long time now because I love story driven games but I'm also a major sucker for stupid nerd tables when it calls for it, so, this seemed right up my alley. My friends and I ran the EotE beginner adventure with custom characters on Mon, and even though we realized in retrospect we did literally almost everything we could do wrong (we didn't add difficulty dice to any shot we or the enemies took, for example), I am hooked hooked hooked. I have been delving through the core books for EotE and AoR over the last few days and every time I discover how something actually works I just keep thinking "man, this game is so elegant!"

I'm doing character prep with my friends for a planned campaign I am going to GM, and I was going to ask in here if there was any reason I couldn't run Edge races with Age classes....but my friend just noticed that the Smugger & Ace talent trees are exactly the same so I guess that answers my question there :v: Any reason I don't know or understand yet that would keep me from doing this, though?

They're all inter-compatible with each other. The reason a couple of the talent trees are repeated in different lines is because each game assumes that you'll only be playing with that book. Feel free to allow species and classes from any of the books. The only restriction would be if you decide "no force users" up front, in which case most of the Force & Destiny classes are going to be a bit useless for you.

The One thing I'd decide before hand is what kind of game you're primarily running, the Han and Chewie part of Star Wars (in which case run out of EotE and use Obligation), the princess Leia and Jyn Urso part (in which case use Age of Rebelion and use Duty) or the Obi-Wan part (in which case use Force and Destiny and track morality.) I say this because mixing obligation, duty, and morality can be a bit of a pain in the rear end when you're just starting out.

There are some people who are going to claim "watch out for Force users" because of a couple of edge cases. Those people are wrong and ignore the fact that unlike non-Force characters (who have to think about splitting their earned XP between skills and talents) Force characters have at least one extra split (because force talents are a bunch of different trees that don't really build off each other.) Yes, a force user with 500 xp under their belts are going to kick rear end at Jedi poo poo, but by the time they get there all the other players have also earned 500 xp and are likely rocking talents and skills that are just as impressive. And everyone, force user or not, isn going to have a bad day when the heavy blaster rifles start showing up.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Also you can just dabble in the force by using EotE or AoR if you don't want to deal with Jedi.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They can still get pretty Jedi-ish with base book stuff

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
The characters will never be very adept at Force stuff if you omit the Force and Destiny books. Their Force powers will be limited and they won't be able to increase their Force Rating beyond 2 (3 if they take both Universal specialty and level all the way through the talent trees). So at best they'll be able to slightly supplement their main career/specialty with a few Force powers, but they won't feel like anyone trained in the use of the Force.

And again, let me reiterate the balance aspect of Force-users. While a Force-user is busy buying talents to level up their Force Rating and buying Force Power trees, other players are just boosting their skills and specializing in their talent trees. What I've found is this forces Jedi-esque characters to juggle three aspects as opposed to just two.

In the end, I think it balances REALLY well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's also important to note that the Jedi trees are typically not as good as the non-jedi ones. A jedi can do some hot poo poo with their jedi powers, but an EotE character is going to have their own specialization they're hot poo poo at, way hotter then the jedi, and they'll be better well rounded in skills to boot.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's also important to note that the Jedi trees are typically not as good as the non-jedi ones. A jedi can do some hot poo poo with their jedi powers, but an EotE character is going to have their own specialization they're hot poo poo at, way hotter then the jedi, and they'll be better well rounded in skills to boot.

On top of that, going for a jedi power means you are slower getting to your Signature Ability (which are almost universally amazingly good) so the non-force users get theirs much quicker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
PSA: the 30th Anniversary RPG set flipped from At the Printer to On the Boat; so it's almost here!!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

PSA: the 30th Anniversary RPG set flipped from At the Printer to On the Boat; so it's almost here!!

Hope it isnt sunk by those RPG book pirates who took out the Ghosts of Dathomir.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcom posted:

Hope it isnt sunk by those RPG book pirates who took out the Ghosts of Dathomir.

FFG books will wash up on shorelines for decades just like those lost LEGO sets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
So, character build question. Not optimization, just looking to not waste my time.

I've joined a new in-person game with a Besalisk Mechanic, and I like the backstory and personality I've made for the character: basically a blue-collar football hooligan in space. So I've been (prematurely I admit) pondering development paths for the future.

I was originally thinking straight Mechanic, filling out that tree, but some of the other Technician specializations (Modder, Outlaw Tech) also look like fun depending on how deep I get into crafting stuff. However, it doesn't look like anyone in the party is really focused on combat capability so as the person with the highest wound threshold and a rank in Brawl, I sort of ended up in the thick of the fight.

So now I'm pondering at some point cross-speccing into Marauder to be a better brawler (my Agility is crap so melee and ranged stuff is right out). I can't find a lot of discussion but it seems at first glance that there's a bit of unappreciated synergy there - Hard Headed, bunch of Toughened, Enduring.

Thoughts? Am I way off base here and this is just not a great use of points? Or could this have some legs?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 23, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thoughts? Am I way off base here and this is just not a great use of points? Or could this have some legs?

Besalisk Marauders are crazy-good.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

So now I'm pondering at some point cross-speccing into Marauder to be a better brawler (my Agility is crap so melee and ranged stuff is right out). I can't find a lot of discussion but it seems at first glance that there's a bit of unappreciated synergy there - Hard Headed, bunch of Toughened, Enduring.

Sounds good both mechanically and thematically. Tough guy who can fix things is a common character type. You have Chewbacca, BA Baracas, etc...

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Speaking of neat characters:

I'm making a bunch of characters for a con game. I've run Edge of Empire and Age of Rebellion before, but never to any particularly high experience level. What XP totals generally make for seasoned characters, and are there any land mines to watch out for when making advanced characters?

And also, any suggestions on cool rebel infiltrators/scoundrels with a heart of gold (or at least tin)/crusty starship captain characters?

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Hi thread, I need to utilize your SW expertise. I'm looking for a canon planet that is somewhat colonized, but still has large areas of wilderness. Hoping for Mid-rim or further from Core; I need to hide both Imperial and Rebel spies there, but half the party has skills most useful in jungles and the like. Maybe Felucia?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Malthusian posted:

Hi thread, I need to utilize your SW expertise. I'm looking for a canon planet that is somewhat colonized, but still has large areas of wilderness. Hoping for Mid-rim or further from Core; I need to hide both Imperial and Rebel spies there, but half the party has skills most useful in jungles and the like. Maybe Felucia?

I'd go with Felucia just because it has a cool look to it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Malthusian posted:

Why does it need to be canon? Also, what degree of Canon are we talking about here (mentioned in movies or in Clone Wars/Rebels?), and are planets that are firmly established in Legends appropriate?

More to the point: there are a shiiiit ton of planets that are "canon" (ie: their names appear in maps/descriptions of sectors), but have absolutely nothing written about them. They're clean slates for you to use. I've done this with the main planet in my weekly game (Thanium, a planet located in the Tion Cluster just off the Perlemian Trade Route) and it's really fun being able to sort of flesh out a world from very little actual canon information.

Otherwise, Naboo would fit that description as a Mid-Rim planet. Felucia would fit environmentally, but the planet's been devastated and is under heavy Imperial garrison. Then again, maybe it's not! You're the GM, so you can decide how close you want to adhere to canon.

Other ideas without thinking about it too much:
  • Ithor, though setting foot on the surface is forbidden by the Ithorians unless you belong to their priestly caste.
  • Borleias, though it also has a decent Imperial presence and is situated closer to the Core.
  • Thyferra, but it's an Inner Rim world. It fulfills every other requirement though.
  • Dathomir, though it's less "colonized" and more "settled"
  • Myrkyr, though it's Inner Rim.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 24, 2018

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Drone posted:

I've done this with the main planet in my weekly game (Thanium, a planet located in the Tion Cluster just off the Perlemian Trade Route) and it's really fun being able to sort of flesh out a world from very little actual canon information.

I’ve also set my game in the Tion Cluster because there’s an official map of the place, and because there’s a convenient single-paragraph description of all the planets in it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

echopapa posted:

I’ve also set my game in the Tion Cluster because there’s an official map of the place, and because there’s a convenient single-paragraph description of all the planets in it.

Neato! I chose it because our campaign started with an adaptation of a published adventure for WEG D6 (Mission to Lianna), and I just chose to adopt the region as our main setting. Lots of room to play up there.

Unfortunately it seems my game's Thanium is a bit different from what the Atlas says. According to Wookieepedia it seemed pretty blank. It's similar though... I made it a former ecumenopolis that was bombed to hell and back during the various wars in the region (namely the KOTOR-era stuff), and now it's a barren world consisting of vast urban ruins, sorta like Feros from Mass Effect. And my rebels have made their base there :coal:

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 24, 2018

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Drone posted:

Why does it need to be canon? Also, what degree of Canon are we talking about here (mentioned in movies or in Clone Wars/Rebels?), and are planets that are firmly established in Legends appropriate?

More to the point: there are a shiiiit ton of planets that are "canon" (ie: their names appear in maps/descriptions of sectors), but have absolutely nothing written about them. They're clean slates for you to use.

Mostly looking for just a name and one-sentence description. While it's always fun to make up your own stuff, sometimes a simple prompt and the ability to point to it on a star map really helps set the tone for a place. I was also thinking of Thyferra, since the bacta trade is there. I think it's a toss up between that planet and Felucia. Maybe I'll jam them together?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
You could always go with Onderon.

Inner rim, but if it's not a city it's thick-as-hell jungle, and there aren't many cities. Also where Saw Gerrera is from, so spy game is pretty big.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Ablative posted:

You could always go with Onderon.

Inner rim, but if it's not a city it's thick-as-hell jungle, and there aren't many cities. Also where Saw Gerrera is from, so spy game is pretty big.

The campaign I play in is based on Onderon (until I can convince the rest of the players that yes, we can steal a star destroyer) and I can second that it's pretty nice for adventure. You have jungles, cities, secret bases, hidden temples, etc.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

The Malthusian posted:

Mostly looking for just a name and one-sentence description. While it's always fun to make up your own stuff, sometimes a simple prompt and the ability to point to it on a star map really helps set the tone for a place. I was also thinking of Thyferra, since the bacta trade is there. I think it's a toss up between that planet and Felucia. Maybe I'll jam them together?

Thyferra also guarantees both Rebel and Imperial spies are all over the place.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I got an email from FFG saying that my Dawn of Rebellion preorder is close to shipping. I haven't preordered from them before, how soon can I expect it?

I've finally managed to start running a game of Edge of the Empire. I've got 3 players, and we're 3 sessions in. So far, I've really been enjoying the dice mechanics, and my players have been getting very into it.

Our motley crew is :
Sesk, a Twi'lek Colonist/doctor who used to be high society, but got drummed out because of Imperial racism. He's their face, and it's become a thing already that he constantly tells everyone he's a doctor.
Rist, a Bothan Slicer with a Booster Blue addiction who has been the source of much of their crazy plans.
and M1-NA, a brawn-focused punchbot disguised in the body of a common 3PO unit who spends mot of her time commenting on just how insane her two organic companions are. Her new signature move is breaking wrists.

The team has been hired by a wealthy ship merchant who sympathizes with the Rebellion to acquire starfighters from all over the galaxy and get them to the Rebel fleet. He's supplied them with a ship (A YT-1300 they christened the "Century Hawk" since it's a strict down grade from "Millenium Falcon") and the Rebels pay them for the starfighters.

In the first session, M1-NA and Sesk met their employer in a city on Commenor. After they took a look at their new ship (showing up in the middle of the night on foot and almost getting shot by the staff of the starport when Sesk failed a completely unnecessary bluff roll he wanted to try) , they were told of a local body shop that had secretly assembled an A-wing, but didn't have a way to transport it offworld. After mulling over their options (including an overly complicated plan to find someone willing to buy a military fighter, sell them the A-wing, and then steal it from them to give cover to the shop- that had me chuckling because this was supposed to be a very easy 1-session job, and that plan would have been ludicrously complicated), they stole a truck, parked the A-wing inside, and were going to drive it to the starport...until I threw a cargo checkpoint in the way. They attempted a rather impressive bluff (declaring they were hauling a contagious, festering corpse, complete with Sesk in a biohazard suit) but Sesk utterly failed all his rolls and the guns came out. M1-NA threw a stormtrooper out the back of the truck, fired up the A-wing, blew apart a pursuing speeder, then took off for space, shooting down 2 TIEs in the process as Sesk high-tailed it to the Hawk and space. They delivered it to the Rebellion for a nice profit.

Next two sessions, the party went to an Outer Rim world that made Tatooine look civilized, a former Clone Wars battleground now ruled by a Nemoidian crime boss who stuck around after the war ended. This Nemoidian was selling 4 Republic Y-Wings. The PCs couldn't charm their way into an exclusive deal (their employer was fronting the money for the fighters), but he did agree that if they did him a favor, they'd get their deal. He had a leak in his organization, and he wanted the PCs to find the rat. They failed miserably at infiltrating his casino when Sesk rolled a despair trying to pass a stolen ID to Rist in the middle of a medical emergency, so they cruised around bars until they got a hit on a rumor. Upon which they broke into the target's house and ransacked the place looking for evidence. Fortunately for them, it was the right guy, and when he interrupted their heist, M1-NA took him down with no trouble. That's where we finished the last session, with the PCs reporting their success to the Nemoidian.

What they don't know is that a pirate crew really wanted those fighters, and is going to be staging a little ambush at the Century Hawk to get them from the PCs. Presuming that that ambush goes as planned (IE, the players kill everyone), their next target is going to be a flight of old ARC-170s the Empire is slating for scrap at an orbital scrapyard in the boonies, which should give Rist a chance to flex his slicing muscles a bit more.

My players are really enjoying this system, and I am, too. I really do love how much I feel this game lets you capture the feel of the movies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rogue 7 posted:

My players are really enjoying this system, and I am, too. I really do love how much I feel this game lets you capture the feel of the movies.

This system is just about the best RPG system, it's true.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Drone posted:

This system is just about the best RPG system, it's true.

My favorite thing, as a GM and as a player, is that in a lot of cases it feels like the players have as much of an impact on the narrative as the GM. As a player, this makes me feel more like I'm helping tell a really badass story. As a GM, it means I don't have to do as much prep work and can play by the seat of my pants!

And with the rules- for the most part once you learn them that's it. Other games tend to keep adding new rules until there are so many you have to build an online compendium just to keep track of them all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, all the rule subsystems for this series are either just logical extensions of what already exists, or modular enough that you only have to refer to them if you specifically want to

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I used to plan a lot while GMing but now I just prep a few encounters that can slot in and let players run the show. Much less stressful and much more enjoyable for everyone based on player feedback.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

My favorite thing, as a GM and as a player, is that in a lot of cases it feels like the players have as much of an impact on the narrative as the GM. As a player, this makes me feel more like I'm helping tell a really badass story. As a GM, it means I don't have to do as much prep work and can play by the seat of my pants!

And with the rules- for the most part once you learn them that's it. Other games tend to keep adding new rules until there are so many you have to build an online compendium just to keep track of them all.

This system fits in pretty perfectly to my 80/20 Pareto philosophy. Most weeks I do a decent amount of planning, but it's only a couple hours before each session one day a week.

And I can't think of another system that makes me absolutely love when someone gets a Triumph on a vital check that just throws all of my planning off the wall.

FFG's level of preparation just gets how I like to GM a game. I prepare a few different paths for each session (what NPCs to involve in a combat, what I think is the most likely course the party will take), but even when things go completely off the rails, things are easy to wing. I love it.

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 8, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The long drought is finally ending! Dawn of Rebellion is shipping now with a sale date of 2/22!

Last book before this was the over-a-year delayed Ghosts of Dathomir

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

The long drought is finally ending! Dawn of Rebellion is shipping now with a sale date of 2/22!

Last book before this was the over-a-year delayed Ghosts of Dathomir

Hopefully the RPG boat pirates dont get it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kingcom posted:

Hopefully the RPG boat pirates dont get it.

It's off the boat now; we have to worry about Mad Max gangs now

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
They've just announced the Warriors book for Force & Destiny:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/12/knights-of-fate/

That's all 18 of the career books once it's out, which leads us to a 'what next':

More adventures/campaigns, albeit they're traditionally lower-sellers than player-aimed books. Maybe doing a 3-book campaign series for each line, though I suspect sales would be all over the place.

Collections? So A collected starships book perhaps.

More era books. Obviously lots of people want KotOR or Clone Wars.

Some more region books?

Am really struggling to think of what else they could bring out at this point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PST posted:

That's all 18 of the career books once it's out, which leads us to a 'what next':

Ideally they'd "match" AoR and F&D to EotE and give us a 3rd Adventure module a 2nd Location supplement for those two lines.

Also, they're just now about to release the first line-agnostic supplement, Dawn of Rebellion; so maybe we'll see a handful more of those? DoR is coming with 6 universal spec trees and new species options, so plenty of player-aimed stuff in there. I wouldn't mind seeing one centered around The Clone Wars, for example.

EDIT: I miss the good ol' days of The Book Pattern (Adventure-Career-Location-Career-etc). That would have given each of the three lines a total of 12 supplement books, and a solid balance of different types of content.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

As great as a KotOR splatbook would be, I'm not sure Disney would be keen on the idea. Likewise for some cooler Old EU stuff, like Legacy.

A Clone Wars supplement and more TFA/TLJ stuff is probably a good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

As great as a KotOR splatbook would be, I'm not sure Disney would be keen on the idea. Likewise for some cooler Old EU stuff, like Legacy.

A Clone Wars supplement and more TFA/TLJ stuff is probably a good bet.

Yeah...given the focus of all of FFG's products on canonical eras (not necessarily canonical characters/etc), I doubt we'll see anything significantly earlier than The Phantom Menace, or in the Legends iterations of post-RotJ eras.