Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I've been so far out of the loop on WH40K stuff that I didn't realize that T54/55 turret wasn't a conversion. Now if only GW would introduce more competent tank design into the rest of its line...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Deified Data posted:

I made it through Heroforge, and my mindset was the same as yours.

That’s heroforge? Nice. Did you have to do anything to it to remove/reduce the 3D printing grain? I thought about buying a heroforge mini ages ago but decided against it due to the output quality at the time, but maybe they have improved.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

I've been so far out of the loop on WH40K stuff that I didn't realize that T54/55 turret wasn't a conversion. Now if only GW would introduce more competent tank design into the rest of its line...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

:getin:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

That’s heroforge? Nice. Did you have to do anything to it to remove/reduce the 3D printing grain? I thought about buying a heroforge mini ages ago but decided against it due to the output quality at the time, but maybe they have improved.

Their old models used to have this problem but this one came out perfectly smooth. They picked up a different plastic for their high detail models within the last year or so and it's a lot more consistent.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

"It doesn't need to turn, just point it straight at Berlin"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

Who makes that mini? It's amazing. Wielding a tankard and sword at the same time is like 75% of my D&D characters.

I hate you people.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

did the squats make that?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Z the IVth posted:

I can quite reliably manage selling at 200% retail but even then it's still way, way below minimum wage - at most the profit will be something like £3 per hour, at worst its 50p. Selling painted stuff is no way to make a living and I pretty much only do it because I enjoy the process and don't have enough space to store the results.

If you're getting 200% of MSRP, you're painting at a level I and most people here wouldn't expect to. Anything less than phenomenal is not worthy of over MSRP as it currently stands. And you are entirely on the mark that even awesome paint jobs effectively pay their creators slave wages. I think part of it is that people don't think about creative stuff in terms like that, and partially because there's a sticker shock to paying double the standard rate for figures, at a time when new stuff is pricing people out of the hobby. It's more a way to break even at least when you're getting out of an army, and it's doubly true if you were smart enough to get stuff well under retail.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
200% msrp should be your baseline when doing commission work. I did a large group of Cadians for $3 a model, which is about 100% cost, so 200% when including the value of the model itself. These were basic tabletop paint jobs and it wasn't worth it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ineptmule posted:

On the one I ordered, I just rubbed it smooth. It didn't take much to get the graininess out.

Glad they picked a new plastic, though, that'll make life much easier.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

200% msrp should be your baseline when doing commission work. I did a large group of Cadians for $3 a model, which is about 100% cost, so 200% when including the value of the model itself. These were basic tabletop paint jobs and it wasn't worth it.

Yeah, if you're getting stuff commission painted to your rough specifications, you should expect to spend more on labor than you spend on models. Model cost is actually pretty cheap unless you're talking stupid GW character model pricing.

Unfortunately, unless something is well painted to an established scheme, the only way you get much for the paint job reselling it is if it comes in a lot, in which case you run into the price suffering because it's a lot.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A lot of commission painters seem to just be completely averse to pricing themselves a fair wage, and then you have the ones trying to compete on price with those that don’t know the value of their own time and charge like £50 for a work that’ll take 40 hours.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Saw this in the 40k thread and felt it belonged here:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zark the Damned posted:

i recognize all them bits

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zark the Damned posted:

THat's a Warjack yo.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Zark the Damned posted:

The Goblin gargoyles on the greaves are :discourse:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just when Horus didn't think his day could get any worse.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A-bad-'un

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The correct pronunciation.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm the inexplicably bloody spike

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I immediately started hearing the thin your paints screaming in my head.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm the inexplicably bloody spike

That spike is definitely not OSHA, it's an accident waiting to happen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fathis Munk posted:

I'm the spike covered in marinara sauce

Guy's just mad because every time he walks into the Chaos Cafeteria, Nergal's been through and eaten all the pudding.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have been so-bad-its-good watching this guy's channel for a few days now and I feel compelled to share.

I give you Dave the Fungeon Master and his channel Miniature Mash-Up.

He hasn't uploaded in 8 months so I feel secure in slagging off his charming and awful videos full of poorly made crappy minis.

I adore his bad intro as seen in this video Dollar Tree Fire Giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ansVhqNUi8I

For some amazingly bad miniature making look no farther than Dirt-Cheap Carrion Crawlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-NSBAu1IA

Enjoy

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have been so-bad-its-good watching this guy's channel for a few days now and I feel compelled to share.

I give you Dave the Fungeon Master and his channel Miniature Mash-Up.

He hasn't uploaded in 8 months so I feel secure in slagging off his charming and awful videos full of poorly made crappy minis.

I adore his bad intro as seen in this video Dollar Tree Fire Giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ansVhqNUi8I

For some amazingly bad miniature making look no farther than Dirt-Cheap Carrion Crawlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp-NSBAu1IA

Enjoy

There's no way this isn't what he's going for, and it's beautiful.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That guy's awesomely terrible. I love him.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i didn't know da share z0ne had a miniatures section

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
"as an adult I don't have access to the disposable income or free time I had as a child" :thunk:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I enjoy that the thumbnail for that fire giant video has no relation to the actual thing he made. I was like, "Wow, that's pretty good for a mini cobbled together from dollar store bits."

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

"as an adult I don't have access to the disposable income or free time I had as a child" :thunk:

I can see this being true in some cases. Kids have boatloads of free time compared to someone in full time employment, and quite a lot of them have parents who'll just buy them anything to keep em quiet.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

I can see this being true in some cases. Kids have boatloads of free time compared to someone in full time employment, and quite a lot of them have parents who'll just buy them anything to keep em quiet.

So true. I know this comment was meant as snarky, but man, I wish I had the free time I had when I was younger. I squandered my life away!!!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures Guy also seems to have used his Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures YouTube Channel to share his Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures Guy Opinions about lady ghostbusters.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah time's kind of a given, but the disposable income part took me by surprise.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah time's kind of a given, but the disposable income part took me by surprise.

When you're young and single you decide what your spending priorities are, when you're old and in a family it's a committee process and plastic space war barbies are rarely as convincing as we would like.

It's not a question of "Could I afford this Rhino?" so much as "Can I explain to the wife why this Titan is more important than putting it in the IRA/Vacation fund/529?".

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Plus if you're a kid and get pocket money or have a part time job or whatever, that money's yours for whatever you want (unless your parents charge you rent to teach you the meaning of money or whatever).

An adult most likely has a ton of bills / rent / mortgage / student loan / food expenses and so on that ties up their cash. Plus if you don't have a lot of free time, your spending money is likely to go towards instant gratification like movies, drinks and video games, rather than something that takes a bunch of time and effort before you can even use it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Two Beans posted:

Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures Guy also seems to have used his Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures YouTube Channel to share his Dollar Store Action Figure Miniatures Guy Opinions about lady ghostbusters.

lol link please

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

lol link please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxAAZbDs5Q

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

how dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
"I'm gong to slide some cardboard under these skulls so I don't get grey primer everywhere"
*leaves a large gaping spot of uncovered table near the skulls.*

Good work.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 31, 2018