Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

That leader one is a little bit weak for the era it is from but still a pretty good episode. Have they ever tried to make fun of Scientology more directly? I’m guessing no since there’s scientologists on staff.

Bart's voice actor is a scientologist I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Stop talking poo poo about one of the best jokes ever from the simpsons just because "monkey cheese" is an insult for an entirely different kind of joke

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
worst part was probably when otto was pimping out ms hoover from the school bus and lijsa had a huge moral crisis about whether she should report him for promoting prostitution in a loving school bus or look the other way so that two struggling adults could get by in our hosed-up society

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the b-plot where homer started a knockoff kwik-e-mart titled "pastel pantry" and wound up accidentally committing securities fraud was pretty good though

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
no, i won't tell you what the episode title was

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

no, i won't tell you what the episode title was

What was the episode title?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

punk rebel ecks posted:

What was the episode title?

You 'Otto' See His Shop Vac

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the one with lisa and the whales was the worst episode

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the one with lisa was the worst episode

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I like Lisa, it's just that recent episodes mishandle her and make her unlikable, but then they do that to everyone.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forget if it was earlier in the thread, but it was on SA for sure where I read about the Krusty live action t.v. sitcom. But it might have been a front page thing and fake (legit hard to tell). I just remember something about his house was on stilts. Stilts being eaten by beavers!!

All of it sounded like the least funny thing in the world, but somehow was within inches of getting the green light.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

she's so loving bad

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Hrist posted:

I forget if it was earlier in the thread, but it was on SA for sure where I read about the Krusty live action t.v. sitcom. But it might have been a front page thing and fake (legit hard to tell). I just remember something about his house was on stilts. Stilts being eaten by beavers!!

All of it sounded like the least funny thing in the world, but somehow was within inches of getting the green light.
I'm pretty sure I remember them talking about that in one of the commentaries in the early DVDs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Milo and POTUS posted:

she's so loving bad

khwarezm posted:

I like Lisa, it's just that recent episodes mishandle her and make her unlikable, but then they do that to everyone.

yeah exactly

Lisa isn't a bad character, in theory, and was handled much better early on, but she's a victim of what's happened to basically all of the characters, none of the writers understand nuance or balance or subtlety so she's just a balls to the wall annoying liberal stereotype like Homer is just as stupid and mean as possible instead of being a slightly dumb but good hearted person like he was

to be fair I only watched regularly up to maybe season 15, and gently caress if I'm going to willingly watch anything after that, but that was def the trajectory she was on

man I still just can't get over the mccartney vegetarianism thing, that may be the funniest simpsons fact to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean occasionally they show a glimmer of remembering that she's supposed to be an 8-year-old girl who worries about how she gets along with her father, and those are some good dynamics usually

But most of the time they're like "take this rejected Family Guy script and have Lisa do Meg's lines"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

khwarezm posted:

Lisa the Beauty Queen and the Malibu Stacey episodes are among my favourites. Probably because Lisa is just an ordinary, if very smart, kid. Not some weirdo liberal supergenius in the body of an 8 year old.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Data Graham posted:

I mean occasionally they show a glimmer of remembering that she's supposed to be an 8-year-old girl who worries about how she gets along with her father, and those are some good dynamics usually

But most of the time they're like "take this rejected Family Guy script and have Lisa do Meg's lines"

the problem is kids, even precocious kids, do not even remotely sound like hollywood mouthpieces

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The movementarian episode is hilarious. Who doesn't like that one.

And who do you guys love?

Hover bikes!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milo and POTUS posted:

the problem is kids, even precocious kids, do not even remotely sound like hollywood mouthpieces

Then again "fourth grader who talks and acts like an adult" is a tried-and-true centerpiece of much of the best/most successful comedy, from Calvin & Hobbes to Home Movies to South Park to Bart Simpson

e: Also I tend to forget how much good off-the-cuff wordplay Bart gets, like "snooze cruise" and "set your faces to stunned"

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Data Graham posted:

They had an interesting dynamic with this in the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover (which I think is technically a Family Guy episode). Lisa and Meg went around trying to find something Meg was good at, but when it turns out that Meg's good at the saxophone, Lisa sabotages her.

That episode is interesting in general (albeit not "good" like a classic Simpsons), because I think they tried to draw a direct contrast between the two shows (the Stewie and Bart plotline emphasizes this). It's worth watching once if you like both shows, I'd say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Hrist posted:

Proposed real spin-offs[edit]
Over the course of the show, the staff have considered producing several spin-off television series and films, based on The Simpsons. In 1994, Matt Groening pitched a live action spin-off from The Simpsons that centered on Krusty and would star Dan Castellaneta. He and Michael Weithorn[13] wrote a pilot script where Krusty moved to Los Angeles and got his own talk show. A recurring joke throughout the script was that Krusty lived in a house on wooden stilts which were continuously being gnawed by beavers. Eventually, the contract negotiations fell apart and Groening decided to stop work on the project.[14]

"22 Short Films About Springfield" sparked the idea amongst the staff for a spin-off series entitled Tales from Springfield. The proposed show would focus on the town in general, rather than the Simpson family. Every week would be a different scenario: three short stories, an adventure with young Homer or a story about a background character that was not tied into the Simpson family at all.[15] The idea never came to anything, as Groening realized that the staff did not have the manpower to produce another show as well as The Simpsons.[13] The staff believe it is something that they would still be interested in doing,[16] and that "could happen someday."[13]

Groening also expressed a wish to make Simpstasia, a parody of Fantasia; it was never produced, partly because it would have been too difficult to write a feature-length script.[17] Before his death, Phil Hartman had said he had wished to make a live action Troy McClure film, and several of the show's staff had expressed a desire to help create it.[18] Matt Groening later told Empire that the idea never "got further than enthusiasm", but "would have been really fun".[13]

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Iron Crowned posted:

:yossame:

I figured the joke was that everyone found it funny but me. Sadly, that only works if I exist in a sitcom.

:jerry:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
“Tales from Springfield”, if done with actual care, could potentially be amazing. I wish they would do that.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I saw the Simpsons movie in a packed theater full of Simpsons nerds who did a standing ovation during the opening credits. Everyone loved the movie. It was one of my most memorable theater experiences ever. 6 months later I watched it on DVD at home alone and :geno:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nah posted:

I saw the Simpsons movie in a packed theater full of Simpsons nerds who did a standing ovation during the opening credits. Everyone loved the movie. It was one of my most memorable theater experiences ever. 6 months later I watched it on DVD at home alone and :geno:

I had a similar experience with Snakes on a Plane. That movie sure aged well.:thumbsup:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Snakes on a Plane was a self aware cheesefest that you had to see in theatres. Everyone knew that at the time. The only redeeming factor was yelling Sam Jackson's lines with the audience.

The Simpsons Movie actually wanted you to invest in Marge and Homer's 800th round of marital problems and Bart doing pranks. I remember getting into a pre screening where half the shots were still unfinished Maya frames. Spider Pig was already in and at least 3 of my friends said that it jeeded to stay in the movie at all costs. I think I wrote that I liked Drunk Bart but that was probably just the movie triggering alcoholism in my brain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Razorwired posted:

Snakes on a Plane was a self aware cheesefest that you had to see in theatres. Everyone knew that at the time. The only redeeming factor was yelling Sam Jackson's lines with the audience.

“I’m sick of these motherfuckin snakes on this motherfuckin plane” too was spoiled so far in advance of the movie coming out that the fact that it was the only good-ish line I remember being in the movie killed the burgeoning “self-aware tongue-in-cheek cheesefest” genre dead in its tracks

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Did Bart get drunk in the movie to pad the run time by 5 minutes? because there were no jokes or plot consequences.
Now I'm thinking of what a great episode the Beer Baron one was.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Data Graham posted:

“I’m sick of these motherfuckin snakes on this motherfuckin plane” too was spoiled so far in advance of the movie coming out that the fact that it was the only good-ish line I remember being in the movie killed the burgeoning “self-aware tongue-in-cheek cheesefest” genre dead in its tracks

The line precedes the movie ackshually

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

“Tales from Springfield”, if done with actual care, could potentially be amazing. I wish they would do that.

You wish they would have done that in 1994. You don't want them to do that in 2018.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SEX BURRITO posted:

Lisa the Beauty Queen and the Malibu Stacey episodes are among my favourites. Probably because Lisa is just an ordinary, if very smart, kid. Not some weirdo liberal supergenius in the body of an 8 year old.

and when they do age lisa up in classic episodes, it's only a little. like for example when they make her addicted to the corey hotline, that seems like something that maybe a 12- or 13-year old would be into, rather than a young child. also that was still funny so it was okay.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

and when they do age lisa up in classic episodes, it's only a little. like for example when they make her addicted to the corey hotline, that seems like something that maybe a 12- or 13-year old would be into, rather than a young child. also that was still funny so it was okay.

I completely agree, but that made me think, I don't think they really even have those kind of hotlines anymore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Did Bart get drunk in the movie to pad the run time by 5 minutes? because there were no jokes or plot consequences.
Now I'm thinking of what a great episode the Beer Baron one was.

This better be the best drink in the world... You got lucky

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose posted:

This better be the best drink in the world... You got lucky

:clint: I'll get you Beer Baron!
:regd13: No you won't!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Iron Crowned posted:

I completely agree, but that made me think, I don't think they really even have those kind of hotlines anymore.

What? Where am I supposed to get quality content like this? https://youtu.be/bk_5Wl09UJo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

There's an episode in like, Season 18+ where a group of college gymnasts assume she's also in college because she's so smart and must just be another gymnast that's why she looks so young. And she starts hanging out with them and gets addicted to their second-hand smoke.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know why, but I somehow got this flash that the Simpsons Universe and the Nicktoons/Disney Doug Universe might be same universe and Doug's setting is just a bit more an affluent and diverse suburban community.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

There's an episode in like, Season 18+ where a group of college gymnasts assume she's also in college because she's so smart and must just be another gymnast that's why she looks so young. And she starts hanging out with them and gets addicted to their second-hand smoke.

gently caress, i remember that episode -- i wondered how the hell gymnasts would stay athletic with such diminished lung capacity

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also aging up the kids, there was one where Bart saves the town by accident so the mayor gives him a driver's license and he starts dating a girl in another town and he almost marries her when she reveals she's pregnant even though it couldn't be his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
One part of The Simpsons movie that I hated was how toward the end the Springfield residents were escaping, but Homer ended up messing it up. It completely ruins the fact that he "saved" the town in the end, because all he did was correct his gently caress up.