Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
LOL nevermind, I can't play it on the rift because they broke mouse cursors again. Maybe it's fixed in 1.0? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I kind of want to just play this game, get the solid enjoyment of one playthrough out of it and then forget it ever existed.

It's time to focus on what-is, rather than what-if.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xanderkish posted:

Man. I tried to withhold judgment, and I know next to nothing about what game development is like, but these guys have a really weird relationship with their player base. Not every game needs mods, but for a company who based the entire game's development around continuous interaction with the players, and who fielded so many conflicting ideas about what the game should be from said players, to not spend a bit of time opening up the field for the community to make their desired changes (and likely expand the player base and extend engagement with the game) is really odd, and strikes me as insecure.

Not only that but their previous game had mod support, with an arguably more difficult situation to support them in the first place due to being a competitive online game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

Man. I tried to withhold judgment, and I know next to nothing about what game development is like, but these guys have a really weird relationship with their player base. Not every game needs mods, but for a company who based the entire game's development around continuous interaction with the players, and who fielded so many conflicting ideas about what the game should be from said players, to not spend a bit of time opening up the field for the community to make their desired changes (and likely expand the player base and extend engagement with the game) is really odd, and strikes me as insecure.
I think they are understandably hesitant to say anything encouraging about mods because one of the bigger pie in the sky heavy work in project mods is rudimentary co-op. What with MP being big sore spot they are understandably tired of talking about and people asking for them every fifteen seconds. Modders want to add MP, add a more badass sumbarine, etc (Though the latter would be basically nothing but a surface cruise liner due to terrain).

I can understand why they couldn't spare the resources for product for money grade multiplayer. They already have their work cut out for them with the single player game. While there is a HUGE difference between "Co-op is literally impossible" and "Can't get it beyond janky mod territory", it is something people selling the game have to consider.

But it is true they are also kind of awkward about it when they say things like how super impossible it would be for anyone to succeed due to desynch issues, with an often quoted "If all you want is a seamoth racing mod, that should be doable" in response to the people trying to get modded Co-Op working.

Desync and terrain clipping are an infamous problem in the single player campaign, so it is a very real biggest potential hurdle for anyone MP mods beyond "Obvious alpha" stage. But throwing modders under the bus like it's their fault for not solving desync is where the odd relationship vibe comes from.

Devs are not wrong for not working on MP themselves, and not going out of their way to support modding when they clearly have had their hands full getting a small single player game working is also understandable. But discouraging modders for even trying will never look good.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Right now I'm mentally comparing this to how Paradox handles it's dev process, because those are the other games I've been playing a lot of recently. No early access, they make modding really accessible from the get-go but keep it from eclipsing the core game by putting out continuous free and paid updates for years afterwards. It's a good model, but one that requires a lot of confidence in your player base. Unknown Worlds doesn't seem to have that as much.

Of course, maybe being exposed to really zealous and angry players on the game forums and relying on them to determine the direction of the game tends to undermine that sort of confidence, but at this point I'm just armchair psychologizing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Section Z posted:

Desync and terrain clipping are an infamous problem in the single player campaign, so it is a very real biggest potential hurdle for anyone MP mods beyond "Obvious alpha" stage. But throwing modders under the bus like it's their fault for not solving desync is kind of awkward.
Desync means players in multiplayer session go out of sync and start seeing increasingly different things on their side.
There are also things that aren't replicated at all in most multiplayer games like ragdolls and various other cosmetic stuff. That is not desync.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 23, 2018

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sininu posted:

Desync means players in multiplayer session go out of sync and start seeing increasingly different things on their side.

If that means one player would start freaking out in skype about being gobbled by a reaper while the other is right beside him in open water not knowing what the hell is going on, that might actually have some perks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Xanderkish posted:

If that means one player would start freaking out in skype about being gobbled by a reaper while the other is right beside him in open water not knowing what the hell is going on, that might actually have some perks.

Desyncs is RTS games end the game right away when the game detects it. Outside RTS'es I've experienced desyncs in Warframe and it is not fun at all when you are 10 meters away from where you think you are for the other players.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Digirat posted:

Not only that but their previous game had mod support, with an arguably more difficult situation to support them in the first place due to being a competitive online game

This is an old memory but I recall that the devs were upset that modified servers were so popular with the player base.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Motherfuckers need to learn that death of the author works both ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Lol just lol if you don't move to a city that isn't expensive as poo poo when you get a huge chunk of kickstarter cash.

They've actually been there since they made natural selection 2.

This, of course, being the team that got their start making Natural Selection 1, a notable mod for Half Life.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Man the Scanner Room is an amazing quality of life boost and instantly fixes most of my annoyances with the resources gathering aspects of the game from when I first bought it.

Need a Stalker Tooth? Here, let's highlight twenty of them. Need more of the dreaded Silver? Here's every Sandstone node in a mile radius.

I also found the fragments to build it very early on, well before even the Multipurpose room, so it was a convenient and spacious area to install storage and other modules in my fresh seabase.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a storage room yet or do you still have to hang lockers on the wall and hope they're more or less straight?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:qq: "modders arent allowed to extend the life and sales of our game because of it would interfere with our vision of players struggling IN THE PERFECT WAY and underground reapers" :qq:

These developers are so loving weird :hmbol:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've seen 3 separate twitch streamers ask for the fabricator to pull out resources from storage now, heh.

A dedicated storage room you can just dump scrap metal and other things into would be real nice though. Better if the fabricator can use items in there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's so frustrating because they're ALMOST there. They have a great idea for a game. They have it mostly made.

If they had only worked on mod support from the start it would have been right up there with Kerbal Space Program for me.

Newcomers to the game who heard about 1.0, it's still a worthwhile game to play. I think you're going to enjoy your first playthrough if you decide to pick it up.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 23, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Mods are a stupid fad anyway, now if mods let your games continue to sell copies for decades at a time and allow you to sell your game four separate times via vanilla version, goty edition, special edition and vr edition that might be something! :agesilaus:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I finally built a Cyclops but I'm too scared to use it because I play with the sound off while watching TV, and I've been killed by two Leviathan reapers already, losing my seamoth twice.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

redreader posted:

I finally built a Cyclops but I'm too scared to use it because I play with the sound off while watching TV, and I've been killed by two Leviathan reapers already, losing my seamoth twice.

The Cyclops will fare you a lot better in that situation cause you can see leviathans on your little map, but you really should play with sound on. The sound design is fantastic and it gives you A LOT of information, such as:

What just tried to attack you/is attacking you by learning the sounds and deciding if you need to react
Hearing a Reaper LOOONG before you see it
Hearing nearby wrecks before you see them
etc etc

Often your ears are more helpful than your eyes in this game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Which makes sense, it's an underwater game

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

This game terrified me more than a lot of bona fide horror games. There is just something intrinsically terrifying about swimming through a dark murky ocean and occasionally spotting movement and shadows.

The first time I played, I went in blind, decided to go explore the Aurora (cos huge sunken wrecked spaceship, what's not to love) and got attacked by a Reaper. It took me days of faffing about in the shallower parts of the map before I plucked up the courage to go out into the darker, deeper waters after that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I legit no lie starved to death in the escape pod my first time because i didn't dare jump in the ocean. I've always had a crippling fear of deep dark water and i had spawned ontop of Gasopods that were moaning and poo poo below me. Now tho i can play it just fine, i'm constantly a little bit afraid of leviathans, but i know where they are and how to deal with them. Thanks Subnautica!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

uXs posted:

Is there a storage room yet or do you still have to hang lockers on the wall and hope they're more or less straight?
It's still craftable lockers or nothing. Well, there's also the tiny built in wall lockers in the lower level of the Cyclops. Those are actually really good now. So glad those are 3 across now, instead of the awkward 2x across they used to be so you could not fit the mobile vehicle bay, or old 3 wide versions of items before they shrunk them down.

Also, abandon all intentions of symmetrical placements on a whim. You'll go crazy. It's not the "space" that is the issue so much a the odd collision limitations even at the best of times in the game's development.

Not starting with MP rooms is primarily a ballbuster not because of the utility objects you need an MP room for. But because you have to spend so much time wrestling with the placement logics until you've worked out the legal way to place a row of lockers right next to eachother. I've just managed to neat and tidy put 6 stand up lockers in a row.

But that was after dancing around a while to relearn the "Nope. Nope. Not there either. One, two, three in a row-gently caress" for ten minutes, after having not played in experimental for a while and needing to get a feel for the placement legalities again. It feels like rows of placements behave better done in a long straight shot, because most of those lockers are in spots the game would just give me a red no go when trying to place all by themselves.

Though even the huge MP room wasn't safe from placement oddities, it's raw size made it a lot easier to deal with.

On the bright side. We can still build stuff onto ladders, and it will work. No room for a medkit dispenser or radio on the walls for one reason or another? Put it on your ladder! It's my favorite useful bug(?).

Also seems they have gotten around to fixing the longstanding bug where you could not stack more MP rooms if you already had lockers with items inside your existing rooms. That's a real big deal fix. Like, zero sarcasm "Thank god they fixed this well before launch" big deal.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 23, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The building list for modules ought to be 5x larger. I want square rooms, ramps, different shaped foundations, etc.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The only construction I want is a Cyclops dock.

OK a larger aquarium (big enough to hold baby reapers maybe) would be cool too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

The building list for modules ought to be 5x larger. I want square rooms, ramps, different shaped foundations, etc.

I would honestly be fine with our tiny amount of rooms if they had way more polish and freedom to go full jam packed tubes, or single MP room apartment with no worries of "NOPE, you can't place that in this completely open spot!"

Well okay, I'd love a glass dome ceiling MP room variant, and the ability to directly flush fish in alien containment into bio reactors built above or below them.

EDIT: And the ability to loving rotate ladders. A large majority of my connected towers style base planning was working around streamlining ladders, so I wouldn't need to deal with constantly catching my wide scuba hips against them wanting to enter/exit hallways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 23, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nothing about the game scared me until the first time I was out at the Aurora, exploring around the place and seeing what I'd find. I'm talking to a friend over Skype because we're both playing and trying to find where the silver's at and all, and I mention to him "I hear some kind of rumbling. I think the ship's settling or something." Then 'HOLY poo poo! WHAT IS THAT!?" because it wasn't one, but two Reapers. That was the first time I ever saw them, and I'd mistaken the screaming for the ship groaning.

Also the first time I died in game, obviously. I think everyone's first Reaper is quite the experience.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
All this poo poo sounds cool, except never finding an MP room. Why are these so hard to find!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Isn't this supposed to go 1.0 today?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Picer posted:

All this poo poo sounds cool, except never finding an MP room. Why are these so hard to find!

But radio signals lead you to all the places where those are, if it was any easier to find it doesn't even qualify as finding.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Section Z posted:

EDIT: And the ability to loving rotate ladders. A large majority of my connected towers style base planning was working around streamlining ladders, so I wouldn't need to deal with constantly catching my wide scuba hips against them wanting to enter/exit hallways.

Petition to change all references of "birthing hips" to "wide scuba hips".

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

But radio signals lead you to all the places where those are, if it was any easier to find it doesn't even qualify as finding.

Are they random? Cous i checked out ten signals or so, and none had any. Unless i'm more blind than i thought.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Anyone know if my current saves are gonna be usable with the 1.0 release which is apparently happening today? (Although steam still says early access).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Picer posted:

Are they random? Cous i checked out ten signals or so, and none had any. Unless i'm more blind than i thought.

There should always be a wreck or large tunnel entrance near a signal, or at least in that area

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Jusupov posted:

There should always be a wreck or large tunnel entrance near a signal, or at least in that area

Yeah i noticed that. Got me alot of cool poo poo. No MP though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
1.0 launch stream in 10 hours.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Jusupov posted:

I really like the signal system. It's a fairly elegant way to point the player at interesting things that they'd miss out on otherwise because the ocean is huge. The voice acting they added is a nice touch.

They still need to replace the 'Welcome Aboard Captain' sound effect for the Prawn with 'Goliath Online' from Starcraft.

Ganson fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ganson posted:

They still need to replace the 'Welcome Aboard Captain' sound effect for the Prawn with 'Goliath Online' from Starcraft.

This is why we need mods retarded developers :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just replacing sound files in assets packs should be relatively easy.

I'd really like to see that replicator pulls from attached inventories bit too though, so :yeah:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Ganson posted:

Oh hey speaking of which, what do you guys like to name your vehicles? Me, I'm of simple tastes and I like to stick to a theme-- my Seamoth I call the Pimpmoth, my Prawnsuit the Pimpsuit, and my Cyclops the Pimpmersible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Xanderkish posted:

Oh hey speaking of which, what do you guys like to name your vehicles? Me, I'm of simple tastes and I like to stick to a theme-- my Seamoth I call the Pimpmoth, my Prawnsuit the Pimpsuit, and my Cyclops the Pimpmersible.

I like to name my seamoth the "Fedora" and my cyclops the "Not-All-Us." Haven't come up with a good MRA name for the Prawnsuit yet