Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

You'll be happy to know our local Swedish six packs of haze (stigberget) are around $30. I imagine packs of cloudwater would be equally brutal on your wallet.

Lervig, while delicious, is $7-8/can.

Yeah, a sixer of Cloudwaters hazy IPAs will run you around $33 directly from the brewery in the UK.

The average per-bottle cost here is up $4-5 (bottleshop, not bar)with zero discounts for multipacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

You'll be happy to know our local Swedish six packs of haze (stigberget) are around $30. I imagine packs of cloudwater would be equally brutal on your wallet.

Lervig, while delicious, is $7-8/can.

The last Cloudwater 6 pack I saw translates to about $45, for the DIPA Citra 6 pack.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sierra Nevada’s Hazy IPA is only $8.99 for a six pack!

It’s not particularly good but it’s not terrible either.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I can't find anything particularly New Englandy about the Sierra Nevada Hazy IPA but it's fine as a beer

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

nah posted:

I can't find anything particularly New Englandy about the Sierra Nevada Hazy IPA but it's fine as a beer

Agreed. It's become my go to 'fridge filler' beer. Tastes good, widely available and cheap. I wish it was in 16oz cans (should be the default serving size for beer in my opinion), but other than that, no complaints from me.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Since the fad seems to be hating on pastry, thought I'd share this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeRMH39l6F5/

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Pretty sure omnipollo has already been there with the poo series.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Agreed. It's become my go to 'fridge filler' beer. Tastes good, widely available and cheap. I wish it was in 16oz cans (should be the default serving size for beer in my opinion), but other than that, no complaints from me.

I'm of the opposite opinion, 12oz supremacy. It's actually because none of my glasses fit a 16oz can well so I have to carry the 1/4-1/3 full can with me until I can pour the rest of the beer into the glass. I guess I should upgrade my glassware but I already have more tulips, tekus, and other weird beer specific glasses than I want.

16oz cans do work well for splitting though.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
12oz because either the beer is big enough for you to not want more or it's crisp enough that you want it to stay cold all the way through.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

It goes for $80 in the states, pre-tax, so you're not seeing that much of a difference. I'm not sure why people enjoy mead - it'd be far more cost effective and would taste the same to throw dollops of jam + honey into bud light.

Is that for a 750 or a 375 mL bottle? I enjoyed most of what I tried at Garagiste, but their stuff was a bit sweet, the Clice I had was almost port-like in sweetness and overall taste. They currently have a set of 5 x 375ml bottles on sale for Tampa bay beer week for $250, though to be fair 4 of the 5 are barrel aged, and the one that isn't(Mead X) was very tasty.

Edit: Never mind, the set is sold out at that price.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Apache posted:

Is that for a 750 or a 375 mL bottle? I enjoyed most of what I tried at Garagiste, but their stuff was a bit sweet, the Clice I had was almost port-like in sweetness and overall taste. They currently have a set of 5 x 375ml bottles on sale for Tampa bay beer week for $250, though to be fair 4 of the 5 are barrel aged, and the one that isn't(Mead X) was very tasty.

Edit: Never mind, the set is sold out at that price.

500 ml.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
A couple things worth noting, most Superstition isn't nearly 80 dollars a bottle, only the Berry Whites sell at that price, and while it's absurd to sell a non-barrel-aged mead at that price, they are absolutely loving incredibly tasty and worth trying at least once in your life if you can split a bottle with some friends. The Garagiste sets sold in like two seconds despite people whining about the 50 dollar per bottle price point, and one of the resident FL assholes already traded one of those sets for a Scoop which is secondary over 1000 dollars at this point, so welp.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lagunitas Gnarleywine is kinda gross but for $5 a bomber why did I have high hopes for even an attempt of a bigfoot clone?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Probably because a lot of other Lagunitas beer is at that price point and is quite good for its style. Occasionally they whiff, usually their strong ales are kinda whatever. My friend and I used to call everything Lagunitas made over 10% "purple drank" because they basically all tasted the exact same, sweet and vaguely grapey/dark fruity but harsh to drink.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

sweet and vaguely grapey/dark fruity but harsh to drink.

Yup, nailed it.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Cracked open Burial out of body experience, thinking it was just another Dipa. But it has a creaminess and sweetness to it. Lactose, mango and coconut. Very good and different. All of their ipas theyve done recently are killer.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

A couple things worth noting, most Superstition isn't nearly 80 dollars a bottle, only the Berry Whites sell at that price, and while it's absurd to sell a non-barrel-aged mead at that price, they are absolutely loving incredibly tasty and worth trying at least once in your life if you can split a bottle with some friends. The Garagiste sets sold in like two seconds despite people whining about the 50 dollar per bottle price point, and one of the resident FL assholes already traded one of those sets for a Scoop which is secondary over 1000 dollars at this point, so welp.
I had one berry white someone random opened and it was delicious.

Group I drink with are getting 4/5 of those bottles. Almost got tickets to their magnumpalooza but $75 plus all the alcohol during those few days already is enough. It's gonna be a poo poo show.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'll be in Chicago in a couple of weeks, any recommendations for where to go brewery/brewpub/bar-wise?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mikey Purp posted:

I'll be in Chicago in a couple of weeks, any recommendations for where to go brewery/brewpub/bar-wise?

Depends on what area you will be in and your ability to public trans, but: Off Color's Mousetrap (the bar, not the brewery) for the best beers, Metropolis and Dovetail for lagers, and Half Acre for pales. Beer Temple's bar always has good stuff and has a bottle shop attached. These are all well north of downtown and public trans accessibility is good to not great.

E: Oh, and Rev (either location) for barrel-aged stuff. The brewpub's food is pretty good. No food at the brewery itself.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 24, 2018

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I suppose the days of Map Room and Hopleaf being The Places To Go have long since passed, eh?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Real Name Grover posted:

I suppose the days of Map Room and Hopleaf being The Places To Go have long since passed, eh?

gently caress the Map Room forever and ever.

The issue with Hopleaf is how loving crowded it gets.

But yeah, those old standbys are still there and still worthwhile. There's just way more options than their were in, say, 2005 when those places- along with Clark St. Ale House- were the only real options.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, that's what I figured. First went to Hopleaf in 2009 and then returned in 2016 when some friends moved to Andersonville — wasn't quite as awesome anymore for those very reasons.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Thanks, I'm actually not sure where I will be staying I'll be staying in Wicker Park which I guess is fairly good access to public transportation, and I will have access to a car. My purpose for visiting is basically just to eat and drink, so anywhere in the metro area is fair game. I had Map Room and Haymarket on my list, but I may avoid them as destinations unless we just happen to walk by and they don't look too crowded. Any takes on Band of Bohemia and the Publican?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hopewell and Moody Tongue are two breweries I really really enjoyed the last time I was in Chi-town. Moody Tongue has basically 0 signage though so have fun if you try to visit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mikey Purp posted:

the Publican

If you mean the Wicker Park location (Anker), it's good poo poo with usually a very solid beer list.

The original on Fulton Market is more of a fancy-pants restaurant but they often have their own house lambic blend (Lindeman's, sometimes blended/aged with fruit on site) that's a pretty unique thing if you're interested.

If you're looking for awesome food value, the tasting menu at Elske is about as good as I've ever had and is an absolute steal for the cost. It looks like they're closed for a few weeks so may not be open when you're around but it's also not far (~1/2 mile?) from Haymarket, too.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. First went to Hopleaf in 2009 and then returned in 2016 when some friends moved to Andersonville — wasn't quite as awesome anymore for those very reasons.

I love a good cb&j, but man do I hate they no longer have la chouffe on tap.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks, I'm actually not sure where I will be staying I'll be staying in Wicker Park which I guess is fairly good access to public transportation, and I will have access to a car. My purpose for visiting is basically just to eat and drink, so anywhere in the metro area is fair game. I had Map Room and Haymarket on my list, but I may avoid them as destinations unless we just happen to walk by and they don't look too crowded. Any takes on Band of Bohemia and the Publican?

BoB and publican both great. Hop leaf has been fine since the expansion.

Edit: if you want to meet a rando necknerd I’ll get you a beer at rev.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 24, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Fat Head’s just posted a short video on Facebook saying “Something bigger is coming. February 5.”

If they’re putting Head Hunter in 6 packs instead of 4 packs and keeping the price the same, that would be awesome. Right now Columbus IPA is my go to IPA, but I’d love to buy Head Hunter more often if it were a better value.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
cellar raiding a batch one Hardywood Foolery and i wish i had bought a lot more of them. not as sweet as Trickery, but a hair thicker and loaded with rich, dark chocolate flavor (think 65%). awesome barrel character with just a touch of warmth... yeah, this is really loving good.

air- posted:

$20 six packs are more of a thing now because of haze :homebrew:

around here a four-pack of pint cans is $18-22

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is 3F cuvee a&g worth the almost 100% premium to OG 3F oude geuze?

e: BA Ten fidy is released at the same time and the beer budget is limited this month.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Is 3F cuvee a&g worth the almost 100% premium to OG 3F oude geuze?

It is not. OG is better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mahoning posted:

If they’re putting Head Hunter in 6 packs instead of 4 packs and keeping the price the same, that would be awesome.

I would be amazed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fat Lou posted:

It is not. OG is better.

This, they're both good but not for that kind of price difference really. The 3F Cuvee A&G is one of those beers people like to describe as challenging. The normal 3F Oude Geuze I think is just a bit more balanced and less harsh. The 3F Cuvee A&G also has quite a lot of variation in the batches so can be a bit of lottery.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Aramoro posted:

This, they're both good but not for that kind of price difference really. The 3F Cuvee A&G is one of those beers people like to describe as challenging. The normal 3F Oude Geuze I think is just a bit more balanced and less harsh. The 3F Cuvee A&G also has quite a lot of variation in the batches so can be a bit of lottery.

My recollection is that A&G was more carbed. But as you said, variation. 3F Geuze is about about good as you can get though when it comes to Geuze.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
So buy regular 3f and ten fidy, got it. I drank the hommage from the bottles that look similar to a&g and it's head explode good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Compusaurus posted:

My recollection is that A&G was more carbed. But as you said, variation. 3F Geuze is about about good as you can get though when it comes to Geuze.

Yeah I really like the Boon Oude Geuze's as well, worth a look but yeah 3F is about the best.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Klaus Kinski posted:

So buy regular 3f and ten fidy, got it. I drank the hommage from the bottles that look similar to a&g and it's head explode good.

Whoa there, BA ten fidy is so worth it. But also buy the regular too.

What's the price range in 3F OG? I found some near me for 27$ for the 750mL.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

3F A&G 375s were only a few bucks more than the regular OG when we got a big shipment on the west coast about two months ago. I think the regular was like $14-15 and the A&G was like $18-20.

$27 for a 750 of OG seems fair

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If you're willing to buy in bulk, you can consistently get 3F stuff shipped from Belgium (Belgium In a Box or Etre Gourmet) to the US for around $20/750, which is why I have way too much 3F stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

danbanana posted:

way too much 3F stuff

??

????