Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

System Metternich posted:

https://twitter.com/cheekiscrump/status/954070137556160512

Bragging about how much rear end you get might be the oldest form of stdh there is

The first time I ran into "I have 7 girlfriends" was on a forum about Diablo 2 strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Arivia posted:

What? It’s first brought up in the first paragraph. For stdh that’s actually pretty well written.

I get the rationale of the school not wanting lefties since that was once a thing, it's more that the poster engaged in this 'getting them good' by pretending that they couldn't write right-handed and nearly failing a grade rather than skipping straight to the end bit by telling their parents that their desk is fitted with a handcuff and that's not cool. Or didn't because none of it happened.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Decrepus posted:

The first time I ran into "I have 7 girlfriends" was on a forum about Diablo 2 strategies.

To be fair, chicks do dig video game strategists.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nth Doctor posted:

I have a colleague who was forcibly corrected to write with his right hand back in grade school in the 70’s, and as a result, holds his pen in an unusual grip. What's weirder, though, is he uses his left hand on his computer mouse!

I'm a lefty but this throws me for a complete loop every time. His mouse buttons are also swapped.

I've been right-handed from birth, but I started using a mouse lefty when I had a tech support job where my desk was positioned in such a way that it was more comfortable to use a mouse on my left side. No button-swapping though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I used to work in Boulder, Colorado although I live about 20 miles away. Where I live, no one charges for bags. In Boulder, all grocery stores (or any store where food makes up more than 2% of all sales) have to charge five cents for plastic bags, as a city ordinance. People get really amazingly loving mad about a drugstore having the AUDACITY to charge FIVE WHOLE CENTS for a plastic bag. I can't even count the number of times that I started my sentence "Would you like a bag..." and the customer says 'yes,' but I as continue "....for five cents," suddenly it's all "WHAT, NO, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CHARGE FOR BAGS NOW!" But I guess the city ordinance was indeed successful, because I gave away a whole lot fewer bags when working at that store, all because people are such idiots about five goddamn cents.

It's been this way in my county in MD for 15 years - all the tax goes to preservation of the Chesapeake Bay so it's good

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Anyway, just had this classic STDH pop up on facebook, now with extra bullshit, way more randomly placed and improperly used/typed ellipses, an out-of-nowhere complaint about tattoos and piercings and an ascii shrug at the end:

Maybe it's just because my eyes glaze over when I get to the middle part and I didn't notice it, but the original pretense for this rant just totally dissolves after the "She sighed then continued", doesn't it? Like it obviously becomes the author's own voice at that point and the pronouns get even more vague. I especially like the parenthetical asides, and the author's apparent iron-clad memory. I guess there's probably supposed to be a transition somewhere in there but it's too poorly written.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Jan 23, 2018

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

YOU PAID TOO MUCH posted:

Maybe it's just because my eyes glaze over when I get to the middle part and I didn't notice it, but the original pretense for this rant just totally dissolves after the "She sighed then continued", doesn't it? Like it obviously becomes the author's own voice at that point and the pronouns get even more vague. I especially like the parenthetical asides, and the author's apparent iron-clad memory. I guess there's probably supposed to be a transition somewhere in there but it's too poorly written.

Nah, you're spot on, and it's a common thing in kids-these-days chain mail STDHs aimed at olds.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This poo poo has been making the rounds lately

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I get adding in a few misspellings to make it seem plausible a child wrote it, but actnoklodj? Really?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

YeahTubaMike posted:

This poo poo has been making the rounds lately

Their mom doesn't acknowledge the existence of Christopher Columbus? Or any other Christopher except for Christopher Wallace? Seems like an odd way to live.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

https://twitter.com/cheekiscrump/status/954070137556160512

Bragging about how much rear end you get might be the oldest form of stdh there is

I've never seen a dude brag about how many transgender women they have casual sexual relationships with. What a word we live in!

Edit: and pre-op trans woman at that. He'd get death threats for posting that just a few years ago. So glad we trans women can now be publicly degraded just like cis women instead of just quietly hosed in the shadows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jjack229 posted:

Their mom doesn't acknowledge the existence of Christopher Columbus? Or any other Christopher except for Christopher Wallace? Seems like an odd way to live.

It was a really deep cut Biggie reference. It was meant to be poetic, not literal.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Aleph Null posted:

I've never seen a dude brag about how many transgender women they have casual sexual relationships with. What a word we live in!

Edit: and pre-op trans woman at that. He'd get death threats for posting that just a few years ago. So glad we trans women can now be publicly degraded just like cis women instead of just quietly hosed in the shadows.

Oh so thats what “trap“ means in that context? I figured it was just another slur towards cis women I didn't know yet

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh so thats what “trap“ means in that context? I figured it was just another slur towards cis women I didn't know yet

Depends where it's used but it's basically fetishizing pre-op trans women as actually just being crossdressers

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The idea is that a pre-op* transwoman who presents herself as very feminine and conventionally attractive is trying to "trap" dudes into being attracted to her, only to reveal that Surprise! She has a dick!

*Is there a good term for transpeople who don't intend to get surgery at all? I know enough to know they exist, but not if there's a term for them. Thank you in advance transgoons/allies

e: TY Aleph Null

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Jan 23, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pththya-lyi posted:

The idea is that a pre-op* transwoman who presents herself as very feminine and conventionally attractive is trying to "trap" dudes into being attracted to her, only to reveal that Surprise! She has a dick!

*Is there a good term for transpeople who don't intend to get surgery at all? I know enough to know they exist, but not if there's a term for them. Thank you in advance transgoons/allies

Depends on who you ask to be honest.

I just want to be called "a woman". I have a friend who is non-binary presenting and is happy being being called "a transgender" which isn't even proper English (it'd be rude to call someone "a black" or "a gay").

An older distinction was that "transgender" is pre-op and "transsexual" is post-op, but I don't like that dichotomy. Transsexual has more negative connotations to me and subconsciously associates gender identity with sexual orientation.

"Transgender" or "trans*" are pretty safe bets right now.

When in doubt, ask the person in question what they would like to be called.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Anyway, just had this classic STDH pop up on facebook, now with extra bullshit, way more randomly placed and improperly used/typed ellipses, an out-of-nowhere complaint about tattoos and piercings and an ascii shrug at the end:

Disposable diapers were first introduced for mass consumption in 1948.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

dovetaile posted:

Disposable diapers were first introduced for mass consumption in 1948.

Pft, yeah, by the people who raised the people who raised those know it all malenyals

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

It was a really deep cut Biggie reference. It was meant to be poetic, not literal.

Whoops, it's also a straight quote from Jay-Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail,
where the lyric is explicitly anti-Columbian: https://genius.com/1910944

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Decrepus posted:

I once ran into a guy ranting about how terrible all non-white races are (except Jews, for some reason) in a chess chat room called Wombat Wagon.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChaseSP posted:

Depends where it's used but it's basically fetishizing pre-op trans women as actually just being crossdressers

To note, 4Chan is what popularized the term ‘trap’ and it didn’t really have to do with transgender, just being a feminine male. Now that it’s spread a bit, it’s p. much as Chase says

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

To note, 4Chan is what popularized the term ‘trap’ and it didn’t really have to do with transgender, just being a feminine male. Now that it’s spread a bit, it’s p. much as Chase says

And here I thought it referenced something more in the realm of "anime demon woman whose magic powers allow her to grow a penis or two".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I first heard of the term to refer to Bridget from Guilty Gear who (I think) is a boy who was raised as a girl by abusive parents.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

BioEnchanted posted:

I first heard of the term to refer to Bridget from Guilty Gear who (I think) is a boy who was raised as a girl by abusive parents.

today this is known as being Woke

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

In all fairness, the students are so goddamn stupid they use cameras to take pictures of their monitors, so maybe a grain of truth to this whole thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I had a professor who went on a rant after most of us failed an exam but it wasn't posted online for someone to send to the administration and he wasn't trying so hard to be funny like that one. It was the first time I saw more than one person start crying during a college lecture.

Also even if that post did happen, he comes off looking dumber than the fake dumb students for apparently not teaching them a single thing the whole semester.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
'Phagocytosis' is an inherently funny word though

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

'Phagocytosis' is an inherently funny word though

Except I've always heard it pronounced faye-go-sigh-toe-sis. And nothing about that is dirty.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Pththya-lyi posted:

Human? Why does everything need a label. Just ask them what they would prefer to be called, wouldn't you?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pththya-lyi posted:

*Is there a good term for transpeople who don't intend to get surgery at all?

MageMage posted:

Just ask them what they would prefer to be called, wouldn't you?

:thunk:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Except I've always heard it pronounced faye-go-sigh-toe-sis. And nothing about that is dirty.

Uh, Faygo?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

phage(the root word) is pronounced PHAY-juh, so it's understandable why that's being mispronounced with a soft f.
Phagocytosis is pronounced with a hard f however(as in flag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x82z0QKlRA

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

MageMage posted:

Human? Why does everything need a label. Just ask them what they would prefer to be called, wouldn't you?
Your label of the day is "disingenuous".

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I had one lecturer who went off on a rant because no one turned up to the lecture in week 1 then had to issue an apology because it turns out there were no lectures scheduled for that class for week 1

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MageMage posted:

Ah yes, "human". That very normal non creepy way of referring to people. No one that refers to other people as "human" is in any way insufferable or a serial killer

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

phage(the root word) is pronounced PHAY-juh, so it's understandable why that's being mispronounced with a soft f.
Phagocytosis is pronounced with a hard f however(as in flag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x82z0QKlRA

Oh, huh. Ok then. Still likely it didn't happen.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Furia posted:

Ah yes, "human". That very normal non creepy way of referring to people. No one that refers to other people as "human" is in any way insufferable or a serial killer
I think it's typically used by alien or extradimensional creatures masquerading as one of us, as in, "Greetings, fellow humans."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Furia posted:

i'm sorry, but with an attitude like this you will never be permitted access to the full and accurate Taxonomy of Trans People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

maswastaken posted:

Your label of the day is "disingenuous".

Furia posted:

it's Magemage, you're both being redundant