Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yaws posted:

Well then what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Hodgepodge is cool

Yaws fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know people complain about how this board's all pretentious scholarly types reading elaborate Marxist allegories into stupid spaceship movies, but I prefer that to GBS- Movie Version

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know people complain about how this board's all pretentious scholarly types reading elaborate Marxist allegories into stupid spaceship movies, but I prefer that to GBS- Movie Version

Hodgepodge is a smart

Yaws fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2018

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Schwarzwald posted:

Nearly the entirety of the First Order and Resistance ships are at play

True for the resistance, not so for the FO. We're only seeing a small portion of the FO's fleet. A character at one point (I don't remember who, may have been Holdo) states that the FO is weeks from controlling the entire galaxy. In the movie we see one dreadnought, Snoke's super-dreadnought and like 5 regular star destroyers. They couldn't possibly control a galaxy with thousands of planets with that, especially with Starkiller Base destroyed. Then there's also what Poe says,when he insists on disobeying orders and attacking the dreadnought. He states "those things are fleet killers". His use of the plural implies that there are multiple of them, and only one is ever seen in the movies. Where'd they get the manpower and materials to construct a huge fleet? Who knows, but they did have 30 years to do it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's that like?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fhate posted:

True for the resistance, not so for the FO. We're only seeing a small portion of the FO's fleet. A character at one point (I don't remember who, may have been Holdo) states that the FO is weeks from controlling the entire galaxy.

It's Rey.

Rey has no idea whether this is true or not. She's known about the wider galaxy for maybe two days at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

The Last Jedi was a bad movie

In dumb world I guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that we've reached the hallowed discourse of "nuh-uh, movie good!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CelticPredator posted:

In dumb world I guess.

Look around you.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Yaws posted:

Hodgepodge is cool

That .gif is cooler than I'll ever be.

I'm comfortable with that though; lightsabers and polar bears are two things one does not step to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's kind of a big difference, though. By the end of ESB the Rebels still had enough resources that in RotJ they were able to mount a last ditch assault on the Death Star II, and a huge space battle broke out. As of Episode IX the Resistance doesn't have two X-wings to rub together. That changes the scale.

I always assumed the Rebellion had grown between ESB and RotJ. Their coalition is clearly more diverse by that point- they've brought in the gleep glorps and also some non-humans.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Where does "One Quarter Portion" guy go

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Where does "One Quarter Portion" guy go

Economic right-libertarian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

exquisite tea posted:

Look around you.

Movie's good on my end. Guess I don't live in that horrific land.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FuturePastNow posted:

Whatever happened to Palpatine's red guards at the end of RotJ? I guess he sent them out of the room when Luke arrived, but surely they didn't go far.

I guess they weren't as dedicated to their boss as Snoke's guards.

I think he said "bitches leave"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

FuturePastNow posted:

Whatever happened to Palpatine's red guards at the end of RotJ? I guess he sent them out of the room when Luke arrived, but surely they didn't go far.

I guess they weren't as dedicated to their boss as Snoke's guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7g8UBN9N8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well that was unexpected.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lmfao when Lando looks out the wind screen at him

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

A De-Feminised version of Star Wars wasn't enough, so I present to you: "Star Wars: The De-Science Fictioned Cut"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUeVyP1KgAU

... I removed all Sci-Fi/Fantasy from A New Hope. The movie runtime is now five and a bit minutes. As far as I can tell it's a family drama about going away to Academy where in the end everyone celebrates Luke shooting some rats.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 23, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The scene is Obiwan's house is terrific!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That and the kamikaze criticisms were interesting because they were pretty much explicitly 'I don't like that the film did new things'.

No, that's not it at all, there is new stuff in every movie.

The kamikaze attack annoys people because it renders so much of the previous films heroics and threats unnecessary and useless. If that trick works why wasn't it used to solve EVERY issue in all other movies?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

504 posted:

The kamikaze attack annoys people because it renders so much of the previous films heroics and threats unnecessary and useless. If that trick works why wasn't it used to solve EVERY issue in all other movies?

Sacrificing a capital ship like that isn't meant to be taken lightly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah generally one does not use kamikaze tactics when you are on the winning side.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, seems like doing a 1-for-1 capital ship swap via hyperdrive suicide wouldn't normally be worth it, but it demonstrates the hubris of making a giant gently caress-off ship like the supremacy; it can be destroyed in this way in a last-ditch effort, with some luck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

504 posted:

This is just off the top of my head but:

Episodes 1 through 3: Equally matched sides, why suicide bomb with a cruiser and to what end?
4 and 5: With what ship? They have fighters or transports only.
6: They are trying to kill the Death Star, killing almost everyone in the Rebellion one by one against Star Destroyers is a bad way to accomplish that. It didn't even kill the flagship the cruiser was aimed at in 8 so aiming at the bigger Star Destroyer wouldn't work either, and the Death Star is shielded anyway so I guess that doesn't work, idk.
7: With what ship? Any immediately available were destroyed by Starkiller Base.

What did it render useless?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 24, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Han Solo must be the dumbest pilot in the galaxy. Instead of getting those TIE fighters off Luke's back in A New Hope why didn't he just shoot through the Death Star's thermal exhaust port while in hyperspace???????????????????????????

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Yaws posted:

And as mentioned previously when this was brought up, the Raddus is about 2.5 times the size of a Star Destroyer. It's the largest ship we've seen the Rebels/Resistance field. So the size played a huge factor in the destruction caused. And that's a huge resource loss on a plan which might not work.

As for "Why hasn't anyone put a hyperdrive on an asteroid?" Feasibly they could, but I'm guessing it would take a large enough drive/fuel to do it. Which puts it out of most terrorist/warmonger means. And something like that would require multiple jumps, something an opposing fleet could counter if needed. We saw that the Death Star appeared in the Yavin system, then had to orbit to get into position to blow up the moon, so while a hyperdrive can get you into a system, in some instances it's not exactly accurate enough to get you lined up perfectly in any fast timeframe.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Yaws posted:

Why do you think they would have used a capital ship on other occasions? A 3 mile hunk of rock cleansed earth of its lizard masters.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah generally one does not use kamikaze tactics when you are on the winning side.

You do when you are specifically setting out to make a terror weapon to destroy planets, also the rebels were not on the winning side.

RBA Starblade posted:

This is just off the top of my head but:

Episodes 1 through 3: Equally matched sides, why suicide bomb with a cruiser and to what end?
4 and 5: With what ship? They have fighters or transports only.
6: They are trying to kill the Death Star, killing almost everyone in the Rebellion one by one against Star Destroyers is a bad way to accomplish that. It didn't even kill the flagship the cruiser was aimed at in 8 so aiming at the bigger Star Destroyer wouldn't work either, and the Death Star is shielded anyway so I guess that doesn't work, idk.
7: With what ship? Any immediately available were destroyed by Starkiller Base.

What did it render useless?

How were the rebels and the empire equal?
Why is everyone in the rebellion suddenly killing themselves? This universe is filled to the brim with autopilot and droids.
I'm talking about the previous movies, but that point is irrelevant anyway, I'm sure there are more ships available.. somewhere in the universe...

It rendered everything useless, why build the DS at all? an asteroid would have buggered Alderan (please no goofy EU answers)
We actually see star destroyers get 9/11nd in Jedi, one fighter for an SSD seems a fairly good swap.. sure there were other circumstances but I'm sure such a massively effective technique would have become a much researched tactic.

It pretty much the same deal as all the stupid "the force does what the plot wants it to do" powers in the old EU, so effective it should have just been done from the get go.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Capital ships presumably cost an ungodly amount of resources. Just imagine they're real-world aircraft carriers.

Way back when Games Workshop actually went and made an in-universe response to this sort of theoretical wanking by 40k fans:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 24, 2018

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Han Solo must be the dumbest pilot in the galaxy. Instead of getting those TIE fighters off Luke's back in A New Hope why didn't he just shoot through the Death Star's thermal exhaust port while in hyperspace???????????????????????????

Because it couldn't, if he could have it would have been used in the movie. Also the movie specifically states the pilots have to travel down a trench and use proton torpedoes.

Now if he had suddenly been able to do that to star killer base you would have a point.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Teek posted:

"Why hasn't anyone put a hyperdrive on an asteroid?" Feasibly they could, but I'm guessing it would take a large enough drive/fuel to do it. Which puts it out of most terrorist/warmonger means.

Bettcha a dollar its cheaper than a death star (or two)

Teek posted:

And something like that would require multiple jumps, something an opposing fleet could counter if needed. We saw that the Death Star appeared in the Yavin system, then had to orbit to get into position to blow up the moon, so while a hyperdrive can get you into a system, in some instances it's not exactly accurate enough to get you lined up perfectly in any fast timeframe.

Except for the dozens of times a ship is shown to have no issues what so ever jumping where eve it likes.

Teek posted:

And something like that would require multiple jumps, something an opposing fleet could counter if needed.

Sure is lucky they know when and where the galaxy spanning empire is planning on throwing a rock from.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
An effective lightspeed kamikaze needs you to be quite close to the target (so that you hit it while you're going super fast but haven't actually phased out yet) and of a decent size relative to the target. Holdo would've straight up failed if the FO hadn't been too busy shooting down all the little transports to focus fire her instead. If they'd been on their guard they could've just blown her ship up before it got into range and/or finished charging its drives.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Capital ships presumably cost an ungodly amount of resources. Just imagine they're real-world aircraft carriers.

Way back when Games Workshop actually went and made an in-universe response to this sort of theoretical wanking by 40k fans:

this could almost be from star wars lol

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Holdo was outside of the FO's weapon range, meaning there's no real risk in using the tactic or way for the enemy to stop you. And any complaints about it being inefficient are laughable. With one ship about the size of an old imperial ship you can take out an entire fleet of ships as big as the Executor (and the biggest ship in the franchise) when they were shielded. If WWII Kamikazes caused damage proportional to that the Japanese would have won the war. Considering the size ratios involved and the abysmal casualty rates the good guys suffer whenever they engage in battle conventionally it the vastly cheaper and more efficient tactic. It wouldn't be trading ship-for-ship, it would be trading something like an X-Wing for a Star Destroyer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't know why everyone keeps saying that about X-wings, they are thousands of times smaller than the capital ship. I imagine a kamikaze attack would just result in the X-wing being smashed to pieces on a star destroyer's hull.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

galagazombie posted:

Holdo was outside of the FO's weapon range, meaning there's no real risk in using the tactic or way for the enemy to stop you. And any complaints about it being inefficient are laughable. With one ship about the size of an old imperial ship you can take out an entire fleet of ships as big as the Executor (and the biggest ship in the franchise) when they were shielded. If WWII Kamikazes caused damage proportional to that the Japanese would have won the war. Considering the size ratios involved and the abysmal casualty rates the good guys suffer whenever they engage in battle conventionally it the vastly cheaper and more efficient tactic. It wouldn't be trading ship-for-ship, it would be trading something like an X-Wing for a Star Destroyer.

Holdo was not outside of the range, as she stopped running and turned the ship around. The movie even has a character say "Shes turning around, do you want us to blast her?" and because Hux is a sadistic creep he says "No keep blasting the defenseless ships, she is just trying to distract us!"

When it becomes obvious what Holdo is trying to do, the FO ppl are all yelling "AHH!! BLAST THE SHIP BEFORE IT DOES THE THING!" implying they could have stopped it if they werent too busy shooting down escape pods.

edit: also the fathiers all had creepy human faces and were clearly intelligent creatures enslaved by rich ppl. they were framed the same as the stable slaves in the movie.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fathiers are non-sentient. Tognath mercenaries ride Fathiers, and you can read about them in a comic Disney put out back in May. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Join_the_Resistance This is canon.

E: Fathiers are also known as Space Horses.