Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
This is baffling. Like I grilled chicken thighs with jerk sauce for the first time one Mother's day, and I never cooked them before. But I was so worried about them being undercooked (also needing to change out a propane tank along the way, and getting a flare up) that they ended up being a bit dry. I'd rather meat be 'a bit dry' then 'a bit raw'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

Gordon Ramsey should just stand in front of her screaming It's Raw as she cooks until either she figures it out or he kills her.
If she eats her own cooking long enough, the food will do the killing before Ramsey has to.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

PetraCore posted:

I've heard it's not unheard of for victims of sexual abuse with a power differential and where they're still dependant on their abuser to speak out about being raped, but do so via accusing someone else of it. They want to get help for what's happening to them but they're too scared of their abuser to point the finger at them. I think it might happen more for kids and teenagers? It sucks for everyone, it obviously doesn't justify making an accusation you know is false and painting another person as one of the worst kinds of criminals but the psychological triggers for it are understandable I think.

just reaaaaally reaching for a way to not hate a ludicrously horrible group of people.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

just reaaaaally reaching for a way to not hate a ludicrously horrible group of people.

I'm not saying this has anything to do with the Reddit story, but I work for CPS and this is a thing that sexually abused kids do, to the point where it's part of the training you do to be a forensic interviewer. It sucks because it can give an abuser ammo for a trial that the victim is inconsistent or being coached :smith:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Mocking Bird posted:

I'm not saying this has anything to do with the Reddit story, but I work for CPS and this is a thing that sexually abused kids do, to the point where it's part of the training you do to be a forensic interviewer. It sucks because it can give an abuser ammo for a trial that the victim is inconsistent or being coached :smith:

I mean outside the context of children

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Everyone should get a ThermoPop or other meat thermometer.

It can tell you whether your food is unsafe and when your steak is perfectly done.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
god drat the stupid rear end hot takes pile up so fast in this thread it's impossible to reply to them all or even most without derailing about something that was like 8 pages ago so i'm just gonna say this: a lot of you are gigantic morons

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Mocking Bird posted:

Or you can be like my little niece, who was 5 when her uncle had oral sex with her. Her dad wasn't around, and her mom worked three jobs. But there were many handsome new policemen and detectives, and they showered her with attention. Suddenly every single adult male in her life had abused her. One uncle took her to Disneyland and then did things while on the rides. Fortunately for him, he was out of the state on a business trip the week this was supposed to have happened. Her grandfathers drove her to the beach to do things. Well, one grandpa didn't have a car and the other one lived in England, so that was false. And so on. It wasn't until she was a 14 year old with a kid of her own that any adult men in the family were willing to be alone with her. To this day some of her uncles won't, and she's almost 30, married with a job, and has a bunch of kids.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

almightyerin posted:

My (24M) GF of a year (26F) got cooking classes as a gift for her bday. Her cooking is unpalatable at best, dangerous at worst, and nobody can tell her anything without her melting down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goons will always derail as long as they possibly can to talk about food.

And there certainly is a sharp reaction of 'You don't eat what I like to eat?!' that seems to make a lot of people quickly act like total assholes to the occasional point of literal physical violence.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Congratulations, Palpek. That’s the grossest thing I’ve seen in quite awhile.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inescapable Duck posted:

Goons will always derail as long as they possibly can to talk about food.

And there certainly is a sharp reaction of 'You don't eat what I like to eat?!' that seems to make a lot of people quickly act like total assholes to the occasional point of literal physical violence.

gently caress you if you don't like to read boring food posts

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Congratulations, Palpek. That’s the grossest thing I’ve seen in quite awhile.

Luckily, that one’s a joke (sorta). The picture was taken from a Japanese restaurant’s photos here:

https://shizuokatourism.com/2016/02/12/shizuoka-izakaya-and-ranking-hana-oto-in-shizuoka-city/

That is actually how ‘chicken tataki’ is served though; but it’s prepped by trained chefs who I believe butcher the chicken as close to prep as possible to minimize possible health hazards.

Vice has an article regarding raw-ish chicken:
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/xymxzj/trolling-aside-is-it-actually-safe-to-eat-raw-chicken
TL;DR: leave it to the pros. If your gf is trying to do that with everything, :sever:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 23, 2018

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

That's one of the most stupid and disgusting things that I've seen in quite a while.

#cleaneating

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

almightyerin posted:

My (24M) GF of a year (26F) got cooking classes as a gift for her bday. Her cooking is unpalatable at best, dangerous at worst, and nobody can tell her anything without her melting down.

quote:

It came to a head 2 nights ago when she warmed up leftovers from Olive Garden. The meatballs were raw

How does this happen if they are restaurant leftovers though? Is she so pro at undercooking meats that she can cook them back through time or what?

I mean, I eat a lot of barely half cooked at most meat while I'm cooking it because, well, I can and its super fuckin tasty, so I get weird undercooked gf there. But I wouldn't force it on other people because I know I'm just a food weird with too much trust in my butcher. Much like I wouldn't force other people to drink vinegar or eat palmfulls of salted horseradish like I do I guess? You cook with other peoples preferences and likes in mind and shes apparently allergic to giving a poo poo about what other people like when she cooks.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I think she said she "warmed up leftovers from Olive Garden" but actually had [not]cooked the meal herself. She wanted him to think it wasn't her cooking so he wouldn't be biased.

I wonder if she is eating and enjoying her own cooking though. It's not really mentioned in the story. Does she enjoy this? Is she not suffering any stomach problems eating raw chicken?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

almightyerin posted:

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My [27m] girlfriend [28f] of 2 years is unwilling to make friends with anyone unless they're her same MBTI type

quote:

Kind of a stupid problem but it's been causing tension between us. My girlfriend always wishes she had more friends but she's really picky about who she even tries to talk to. She thinks it's a waste of time to try to make friends with anyone who has a different MBTI Personality type than she.

Since i've known her she's been really into that test and the different types, she runs a blog where she writes about it. She analyses in essay form what people of each type are like basically. Even though she can't know for certain what someone's "type" is if she's just meeting them, she will try to figure it out anyway. To the point she types people within the first few minutes of meeting them. Its like a reflex I guess. The problem is that if she thinks someone is anything other than her own type, she believes there's no way they could get along, will start listing all the flaws people of that type have and how it wouldn't work out.

The thing is I am a different type then her. She's had me take the test a few times and I'm always the same. Our types are nearly as opposite as they can be (only one letter different for those familiar).

She says that is different, that somehow opposites attract for romantic relationships but friendships you should be more similar. I can understand that but she takes "similar" to mean" literally the same". To the point, she, like I said, just won't bother to keep getting to know anyone once she thinks she knows what type they are. Even if there hadn't been anything bad in their interaction so far. She'll just never meet up or talk to them again.

It's a problem because she really does want to make more friends, and we moved in together this summer in a new city. She hasn't pursued any social life here with anyone, past the initial first meetings of various people including coworkers outside of work, friends i've made, and people from Meetup groups based on activities. If she did not mind having no friends it would be fine I suppose, but she does mind.

When I explain all this and suggest she be more open to different people, that you don't need to match exactly with someone on everything to still get along, she says it's pointless because the differences will eventually cause problems. So what's the point? That's her reasoning. She's also unfairly critical of people in my view, not based on anything they've actually done but based on what she assumes are negative traits of their MBTI type. Which again, she doesn't actually usually know this is their type, it's her guess.

What can I say to get her to realize she's taking the type thing too seriously? I think it's less in her interest than she realizes and I'm really not sure why she insists so much on it.

TL;DR my girlfriend is obsessed with the Myers Briggs test and thinks it's impossible to form friendships unless the other person is the exact same personality type as her. She assumes people's types very soon after first meeting them. I think she's shutting down a lot of good possible friendships, but even though she's upset she has no social life, she doesn't seem to realize this.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

How does this happen if they are restaurant leftovers though? Is she so pro at undercooking meats that she can cook them back through time or what?

She put her own slop in the container trying to trick him into thinking it was olive garden.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Speeding is dangerous, so I need to drive 10mph everywhere I go

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Milotic posted:

How do I[18M] get over my strict sexual background when it comes to sex with my friend[26F]

I'm glad this dude is having enjoyable sex with his hot sex friend, but it's a testament to how much religious brainwashing messes people up that he's still feeling guilty after doing it for a while. He writes like a literal abuse victim. I feel so bad for him and I hope he's able to break out of it. :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

welcome to hell posted:

My [27m] girlfriend [28f] of 2 years is unwilling to make friends with anyone unless they're her same MBTI type
This is pretty funny because as far as MBTI tests go they're mostly (if at all) useful in finding people who would work well together in a team. They have nothing to do with friendship, just productive cooperation and as it has been proven countless times in everybody's lives - good friends don't necessarily make good coworkers/business partners, there's no correlation.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

even if this wasn't super gross and potentially lethal, lol @ calling anything done like this "medium rare". That poo poo is as rare as anyhing I've ever seen

if that were a steak it'd be fuckin' Pittsburgh rare

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

welcome to hell posted:

I just went out with a girl who was like this, she made me take these personality type tests on the internet, also she was bald cause she was tired of dealing with hair??? Welp that was fuckin dumb.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She thinks "I know more than the instructor who said that overcooking RUINS EVERY DISH". 

This instructor is going to get someone killed!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

welcome to hell posted:

Also from that thread:

quote:

I just discovered that there's a subreddit for each MBTI type. Most of them have around 1000-5000 subs. INTJ and INTP are the two most popular with about 40,000 subscribers each even though those types are supposedly rare. I'm not surprised, I've noticed that people love to share that they're INTJ/P (including me when I was 17, admittedly).

And S is supposed to be like twice as common as N overall but I've never seen anyone claiming to be an S, everyone naturally self-reports as the "deep thinker".

ugh, this poo poo annoys me.
Those subreddits are pretty out there: https://www.reddit.com/r/INTP/top/

:laugh:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

This is pretty funny because as far as MBTI tests go they're mostly (if at all) useful in finding people who would work well together in a team. They have nothing to do with friendship, just productive cooperation and as it has been proven countless times in everybody's lives - good friends don't necessarily make good coworkers/business partners, there's no correlation.

these are all principal components or factor analyses popped out from a big ol' likert. extraversion is an actual thing, the rest of the bullshit is not because empirical eigenspectrum of the likerts in continuous manifold is crumply

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Palpek posted:

Also from that thread:

Those subreddits are pretty out there: https://www.reddit.com/r/INTP/top/

:laugh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/INTP/comments/7s7okf/whats_your_current_obsession_and_what_should_your/

There cannot be a single person on this sub older than 16. I refuse to believe it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is there any follow up to the lady who’s husband was on meth the whole time he was pretending to have madeupdisease? Because I’m hoping reddit helped her realize it was just meth all the way down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably been mentioned before, but MBTI is just horoscopes for nerds. Somewhere between that and the 'Which character from popular TV show are you?' quizzes.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

TheBizzness posted:

Is there any follow up to the lady who’s husband was on meth the whole time he was pretending to have madeupdisease? Because I’m hoping reddit helped her realize it was just meth all the way down.

She was coming to accept that in the comments, as well as the fact that he's totally sleeping with dealer girl.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've apparently almost completely wiped out trichanosis so by about a decade from now you'll be about to safely order rare pork in upscale restaurants

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If I see a Meyer-Briggs personality section of a dating profile, it indicates the same kind of mental illness as anime.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Inescapable Duck posted:

Probably been mentioned before, but MBTI is just horoscopes for nerds.

I had a friend who got really into it after a couple years and used her type to excuse all kinds of behavior and demands, and would dismiss many concerns or criticisms from others because of their types. It was really unfortunate, but she managed to find a bunch of online people that reinforced it.

Those subreddits brought back a lot of gnarly stuff- “I needed to cancel meeting you on your trip out here, I’m such an INFP and I need to recharge. You’re just upset because you’re an ENTJ and your type likes to direct people around.”

Nah, girl, you’re not being an introvert, you’re just being a crappy friend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like there's maybe something weird going on with that 26 year old woman who really wanted to take that 18 year old boy's V-card

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JK Rowling had no idea what she was unleashing with a satire of the meaningless 'House' system of British public (which means private) schools.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

For all your reddit-MBTI needs, im just gonna leave this here

https://thefpl.us/episode/232

There, now you don't have to read any of it yourself!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

girl pants posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/INTP/comments/7s7okf/whats_your_current_obsession_and_what_should_your/

There cannot be a single person on this sub older than 16. I refuse to believe it.
For a moment there I thought Rapidly Becoming Clocks is a name of a band.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel like there's maybe something weird going on with that 26 year old woman who really wanted to take that 18 year old boy's V-card

It's a little weird, but there's nothing wrong with two consenting adults doing it a bunch. Not like she's coercing him into a very strange serious relationship, just banging him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who has been professionally trained to administer the MBTI, there's two types of results: INTJs and people who realize it's dumb and pointless.