Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

tfw you return to a rhythm game you haven't played in a long time and your skills have degraded to the point that expert is too hard for you but going down to hard is too boring

i imagine beatmania is the exception because the controls are like a piano. i never had this problem with mixwaver, even picking up and playing songs i haven't done in over a decade. poo poo i played it better lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i imagine beatmania is the exception because the controls are like a piano. i never had this problem with mixwaver, even picking up and playing songs i haven't done in over a decade. poo poo i played it better lol
in this case I'm talking dj hero 2 which is like even on expert not that hard of a rhythm game but remembering how to move your hands so you can sample and scratch and crossfade and gently caress with the effects dial at the same time is tricky

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yeah i can see that if it's specific gestures you have to do. i picked up a trombone for the first time in half a decade last year and it took a little while to get the positions back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

in this case I'm talking dj hero 2 which is like even on expert not that hard of a rhythm game but remembering how to move your hands so you can sample and scratch and crossfade and gently caress with the effects dial at the same time is tricky

DJ Hero 2 ftw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

DJ Hero 2 ftw
you play any sick japanese rhythm games when you were over there? I would really like to put my hands on a sound voltex and chunithm machine, at some point in my life

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just a lot of Miku because if im gonna spend money on a cab I kinda wanna know how to already play, but I also played uhh i think it's muimui, which looks like a washing machine and has a circle touchscreen with notes spiraling out you have to tap/slide etc. And the arcade version of Theatrhythm which has 2 (!) buttons

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I didn't even know there was an arcade version of theatrhythm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I was feeling a little introspective this morning, and realized something: I am 100% the kind of RPG player who never, ever uses consumables. As it stands, whenever I quaff a non-refundable potion or apply a limited-use buff on a party member (even if it’s trivially cheap to get a new one), I feel a tingle of shame and guilt at the back of my mind.

How do I work on this? Is there some creed I should repeat to myself 24/7?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Using consumable items is actually how you get into Heaven so uh enjoy burning in Hell for all eternity because you were being stingy with items I guess.

As the fire is consuming you, forever, you will realize you have no one but yourself to blame for this.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
You will never have time to use all those items in the final bossfight.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Do your part of Protest to Bad Game Design and keep never using consumables

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

singateco posted:

Do your part of Protest to Bad Game Design and keep never using consumables

this is the kind of data game companies should be tracking.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
He was called the Noid because everytime you saw him you were A Noid yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hardly ever use consumables in rpgs and stuff because it takes a turn that I could have used to do damage and kill the enemy faster. I only ever used potions and stuff in pokemon when my dude was 1 hit away from absolute certain death because if I heal the enemy's just gonna hit me and render the healing I just did mostly pointless, so I might as well only do it when I absolutely have to.

edit: It's the same reason I never use status effect moves like poison or reducing accuracy or even defense unless the enemy is a rock-solid mamma-jamma. What's the point beating around the bush when I can just use my moves that do damage and end the fight, or do something like freeze instead so I can prevent them from counterattacking at all?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 23, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

oddium posted:

what restaurants have had video games. mcdonalds and burger king, uh. i guess the olive garden (asscreed 2) ??

When I was a kid this pizza delivery chain called Speedy's I think gave out floppy discs with a little 2D platformer starring their mascot squirrel. I remember it being kind of okay? I was like 4 though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Raxivace posted:

Way too often I would grind those pigs in Majula just to get a few extra souls to buy something I wanted, even though I probably should have just teleported somewhere else to fight regular enemies.

I only learned this recently but in Scholar of the First Sin killing the small pigs 12 times spawns a pair of boars in their stead, and killing the boars 12 times spawns a giant boar which drops three Cracked Red Eye Orbs.

It sounds like one of those weird school playground video game rumors of yore, but it's an actual thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I played the PS3 version so I never got to experience that. :smith:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I was feeling a little introspective this morning, and realized something: I am 100% the kind of RPG player who never, ever uses consumables. As it stands, whenever I quaff a non-refundable potion or apply a limited-use buff on a party member (even if it’s trivially cheap to get a new one), I feel a tingle of shame and guilt at the back of my mind.

just start using them immediately once you pick them up and it’ll break you of the habit pretty quick

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like consumables that just auto refill after every major fight so that you can experience a limited power boost while not being afraid to use them for fear of some harder encounter in the future.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I like consumables that just auto refill after every major fight so that you can experience a limited power boost while not being afraid to use them for fear of some harder encounter in the future.

what games do this besides witcher 3? dark souls has kind of got it going on but it has a lot of straight up one and done items too

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

homeless snail posted:

hooked up my xbox 360, flipping through my 360 games

who remembers Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

I beat it last week. It was ok.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq6ECieEg8

Ow The Edge

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Do you also spend a ton of time in shops buying a ton of consumables?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

what games do this besides witcher 3? dark souls has kind of got it going on but it has a lot of straight up one and done items too

Cosmic Star Heroine comes to mind. Items refill after every battle and battles are pretty interesting anyway. Each character has a set of 7 moves with a Defend/Reset option to make a neat eight options. When you use a move it can't be used again until you defend. Each character has some standard damage dealers but there are a lot of buffs and debuffs, and it turns battles into a rhythm of setting up combos in sync with a sort of limit break system so you can deal maximum damage. I don't think I'm explaining it very well but I think it's a pretty good game. It's by Zeboyd and I like their take on RPGs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Prepared casters in D&D (or anybody in 4e) if that counts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition lol

it's been ages since i played that and its utter blandness has been purged from my memory for the most part but didn't it make you go in and manually refill potions from crafting ingredients meaning it combined the shittiest possible part of limited consumables with the shittiest possible way of refreshing them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I don't remember consumables auto-refilling in Inquisition, but I also don't remember much from Inquisition other than going Knight-Enchanter and magic-swording everyone in the face while utterly invincible so I'm not a particularly reliable source here.

I liked how Witcher 3 did potion refills, though it had the side effect of making alchemy go from "borderline oveprowered" in Witcher 2 to "hilariously game-breakingly overpowered" in Witcher 3.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I don't remember consumables auto-refilling in Inquisition, but I also don't remember much from Inquisition other than going Knight-Enchanter and magic-swording everyone in the face while utterly invincible so I'm not a particularly reliable source here.

I liked how Witcher 3 did potion refills, though it had the side effect of making alchemy go from "borderline oveprowered" in Witcher 2 to "hilariously game-breakingly overpowered" in Witcher 3.

That's every build in Witcher 3 though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

there's not a lot you can point at in witcher 3 that doesn't become game breakingly overpowered once you hit the mid teens or so to be fair

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

e:f;b

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/DasBrieger/status/955581256053415936

This is a good twitter thread.

Summary: Cool Mini Or Not, a company that makes mediocre board games and makes its money by targeting whales by making a good portion (up to half) of their crowdfunded board games kickstarter-exclusive, made a kickstarter in 2017 for a board game called Rising Sun. The game was about warring feudal Japan and making deals and fighting the other players and also dealing with Japanese mythological creatures or whatever. Turns out their research into Japanese mythological creatures was very very very basic, mostly amounting to checking the wikipedia page "List of legendary creatures from Japan." In 2016, a person from NZ added their friend to the list of Japanese legendary creatures, describing him as an angry, hairy monkey, and the edit stayed on the page. Cool Mini Or Not saw this, thought it was a real creature, and drew up a design for it and included it as a kickstarter exclusive figure lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

https://twitter.com/DasBrieger/status/955581256053415936

This is a good twitter thread.

Summary: Cool Mini Or Not, a company that makes mediocre board games and makes its money by targeting whales by making a good portion (up to half) of their crowdfunded board games kickstarter-exclusive, made a kickstarter in 2017 for a board game called Rising Sun. The game was about warring feudal Japan and making deals and fighting the other players and also dealing with Japanese mythological creatures or whatever. Turns out their research into Japanese mythological creatures was very very very basic, mostly amounting to checking the wikipedia page "List of legendary creatures from Japan." In 2016, a person from NZ added their friend to the list of Japanese legendary creatures, describing him as an angry, hairy monkey, and the edit stayed on the page. Cool Mini Or Not saw this, thought it was a real creature, and drew up a design for it and included it as a kickstarter exclusive figure lol

holy moly what a burn

in a semi-related matter that made me think to check in if that dark souls board game someone kickstartered to the tune of like 4 million dollars ever got made and it looks like it did, so color me surprised

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I am Super Pumped(tm) for Monster Hunter World.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I gotta decide if I wanna try MHW so that I know how fast I should push this Tales of Berseria run. I'm at the part where you return to Velvet's starting village that gets murked in the opening hour of the game, how much time left do I have?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cowcaster posted:

in a semi-related matter that made me think to check in if that dark souls board game someone kickstartered to the tune of like 4 million dollars ever got made and it looks like it did, so color me surprised

Delays are super common for board game kickstarters but they do tend to come out.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cowcaster posted:

it's been ages since i played that and its utter blandness has been purged from my memory for the most part but didn't it make you go in and manually refill potions from crafting ingredients meaning it combined the shittiest possible part of limited consumables with the shittiest possible way of refreshing them

I'm playing through that for the first time now, it had some good ideas and obvious love was put into the writing, but man is it getting stale.

But yeah, health potions refill after you fast-travel, rest at a camp, or find a supply cache. Other potions... I have no idea how to use them. But if I could they'd be pretty good I guess

Crafting in this game sucks. The weapons generated are OP, but require I stop several dozen times as I explore to watch a 2-second looting animation to collect the ingredients. Real annoying, I feel like I'm playing WoW again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 days till DBFZ.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Some of the other potions in Inquistion are really good. They're one of the only bits of the crafting system that is worth dealing with.

If the combat and UI were better it'd justify loving around with crafting but as is it makes some basic mistakes (cross-character combos are essentially random, the UI won't tell you what your skills do mid-battle, etc) that make the fights so tedious that you might as well put the difficulty down and power through for the story and character interactions.

At least it's pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUagD3n4U0

• Locked thread