Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Also, Skyrim on Switch is a VASTLY different experience from PC or consoles. Don't underestimate how the ability to play lying down in bed, or while on a bus, or on the toilet will change your experience--it's awesome.

Not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Bloop posted:

:catstare:. Holy poo poo I played the gently caress out of SC2 black in the day. I did not know this existed and now I want it very badly.

It's open source and free, goon sir. They even imported the 3DO version's audio so it has full speech and real music.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

For PC/Mac/Linux, not Switch, obviously.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah speaking of indie games I also really want to get Stardew Valley and Darkest Dungeon, two other games I also already own.

I'd get BotW at some point for sure because Zelda is never not great. IDK why I'm not more interested in buying it first though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The only moon I had a lot of trouble with was one of the hatless ones where you have to run across falling bricks as bullet bills are shooting at you to trigger a giant bullet bill that you have to lead back to the beginning to blow open a wall. It took me literally 7 or 8 hours of trying one weekend to do it. Then a few hours later I found the version of the same challenge where you have Cappy and it was a lot easier, I'll tell you what.

That one is easy once you know the trick to it; the blocks on the lower return path are spaced just far enough for a long-jump. Once you get started into a rhythm of long-jumps between each you can't fail.

Bungbroy
Dec 14, 2004

Sweet teats of the godbung, lend me thy broys

Like lots of others here, I played the demo for Dragon Quest Builders thinking I'd hate it, but am now planning on buying it. This looks fun and chill in a similar way. Interested to see more of this.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really want to get a Switch, but for some reason the game I'm most interested in is Skyrim which I've already invested a billion hours in on 360.

This is a friend of mine to a T. He has Zelda and DB Xenoverse 2, but he's put most of his time into Skyrim.

I'm actually considering selling my WiiU as well. I never invested heavilly in it's VC, and after Bayo and Smash drop there wont be anything on it I already have that's very remarkable. 3D World was good, but it might get a port eventually. Same with Mario Maker. XCX might get a port eventually, but I beat that game twice so idgaf.

I guess I'll wait to see if Switch Smash is 4 or 5.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well I ordered a Switch and Mario Odyssey. I can't believe they actually had the things in stock on Amazon.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
unless they port over xenoblade chronicles x and super mario maker im going to have to keep my wii u forever or at least until i can sell it as a classic for more than I originally purchased it for

mario odyssey is cool but it didn't do it for me as much as it apparently did for a lot of people, everything before the challenge stuff after you beat the game was super easy and there aren't any koopa troopas in the whole game or shells I could kick at least that I've found yet and the hat gimmick left me somewhat unsatisfied.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I clicked thinking more Stardew (which I own on Steam, but I am horribly tempted to repurchase...) and it looks fine, but boy is it UGLY. I do not care for that art style one bit.

Speaking of which when's the multiplayer and is it cross-platform because if so... then maybe.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
it'd suck having to manually place things on SMM rather than touch controls, but otoh if it had touch controls for handheld mode so I could make levels on the go and play tons of mario levels on my commute I would buy that game so fast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

The Google Pixel cable doesn't charge it as fast I think (I use my girlfriends, that one should be fine.)

I'm glad you took a risk with your $400 machine and it paid off! Do you plug the other end into your computer or into an after market brick that plugs into the wall?

The cord is attached to a brick

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are you saying my cheap USB electrical plug is the reason my phone's battery is about to explode?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Kashuno posted:

it'd suck having to manually place things on SMM rather than touch controls, but otoh if it had touch controls for handheld mode so I could make levels on the go and play tons of mario levels on my commute I would buy that game so fast

I never had a WiiU so I didn't get to play Mario Maker until it released on 3ds. Even with it being the "gimped version" I found it to be incredible.

It's the only reason I haven't given my 3ds to my nephew.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah speaking of indie games I also really want to get Stardew Valley and Darkest Dungeon, two other games I also already own.

I'd get BotW at some point for sure because Zelda is never not great. IDK why I'm not more interested in buying it first though.

minor warning because it might not be an issue for others but DD on switch handheld the ui text is very tiny compared to pc, it made me abandon it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DD is really tedious on my laptop (gets too hot, have to plug in the mouse, etc.), so it would probably still be better even with tiny text. I could limit it to just docked play anyway.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Princeps32 posted:

minor warning because it might not be an issue for others but DD on switch handheld the ui text is very tiny compared to pc, it made me abandon it

I don't mind it handheld at all but it would probably be really bad on a small TV

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mario Maker will get a sequel on Switch. It’s only a matter of time. I just hope that levels already uploaded on Wii U will be playable as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

DD is really tedious on my laptop (gets too hot, have to plug in the mouse, etc.), so it would probably still be better even with tiny text. I could limit it to just docked play anyway.

I have it on ps4 and quit cause the ui isnt very good for tv+controller in a 50+ hour game

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Andrast posted:

I didn't do the jump rope moon or the volleyball moon since I don't see the point of doing something that is not fun even if it turns out to be simple/easy in the end

Seriously. If you're not enjoying it, don't loving do it. It's a video game, not a job, go find something enjoyable to do instead.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh good, there's a Danger Mouse game heading to Switch. It's clearly some shite mobile port so bleh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQcSrDqG1lU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've only put in 45 minutes on Darkest Dungeon this morning, but the controls do make a certain sort of sense once you get used to them, and they do appear to have visual icons for which button is needed to go to a certain area of the menu most of the time.

Also yes, the font is very tiny on my sub-720p TV 8' away. Fortunately, as I've just discovered, my eyeballs can still be forced to work.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really want to get a Switch, but for some reason the game I'm most interested in is Skyrim which I've already invested a billion hours in on 360.

I hadn't played much since launch but I had a better experience than I'd expected with Skyrim because it was on the Switch. Lacking a mouse made archery more fun because it was less trivial, to the point where my first dude used bows exclusively. Even at point blank. Also lacking a mouse's precision, I broke myself of the habit of picking up every goddamn thing, which is a good habit to be broken of.

Skyrim's kinda silly in that it encourages you to do all these things that seem convenient but actually make the long-term experience worse. See: fast travel.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say DD handheld's text size is fine, but I'm an extremely close reader with my glasses off and even then my wife asked me why I was holding the switch so close to my face last night.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ColdPie posted:

Seriously. If you're not enjoying it, don't loving do it. It's a video game, not a job, go find something enjoyable to do instead.

For real.
Nintendo seems to be in this new mode of trolling the weirdos that insist on getting 100% of a game.
I mean, they put 900 Korok seeds in so that you'd find enough just walking around but if you get all of them, the game literally shits on you.

Nintendo is the best company in the world.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will never understand why in TYOOL 2018 we still don't have adjustable UI/text sizes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've only put in 45 minutes on Darkest Dungeon this morning, but the controls do make a certain sort of sense once you get used to them, and they do appear to have visual icons for which button is needed to go to a certain area of the menu most of the time.

Also yes, the font is very tiny on my sub-720p TV 8' away. Fortunately, as I've just discovered, my eyeballs can still be forced to work.

I hadn't played much since launch but I had a better experience than I'd expected with Skyrim because it was on the Switch. Lacking a mouse made archery more fun because it was less trivial, to the point where my first dude used bows exclusively. Even at point blank. Also lacking a mouse's precision, I broke myself of the habit of picking up every goddamn thing, which is a good habit to be broken of.

Skyrim's kinda silly in that it encourages you to do all these things that seem convenient but actually make the long-term experience worse. See: fast travel.

Seconding. I made a stealth archery build for the first time on my Switch play through. Easily way more enjoyable than my ax wielding / sparks throwing Nord. Motion controls own for the bow. I never quite realized how boring combat can be in this game, but motion aiming the bow is novel enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I will never understand why in TYOOL 2018 we still don't have adjustable UI/text sizes.

Some console have system macros for a magnifier

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only way to play Skyrim and not go insane is to act like you're in a movie. Ride your horse everywhere or only fast travel via carriages. Don't hoard cheese wheels. etc

Also I only pick up items that are worth at least 10x their weight. This is key. Otherwise it takes like 10 trips to fully clear a dungeon.

I really want to replay my favorite build that mostly relied on illusions and 2-hand axes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only way to play Skyrim and not go insane is to act like you're in a movie. Ride your horse everywhere or only fast travel via carriages. Don't hoard cheese wheels. etc

Also I only pick up items that are worth at least 10x their weight. This is key. Otherwise it takes like 10 trips to fully clear a dungeon.

I really want to replay my favorite build that mostly relied on illusions and 2-hand axes.

Question from an overall RPG noob:

Where should I be selling my stuff in Skyrim? Merchants only carry so much gold. Do they replenish every day/week? Do I sell weapons to blacksmiths and random food bits to inn keepers? The economy of the game always confused me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

Where should I be selling my stuff in Skyrim? Merchants only carry so much gold. Do they replenish every day/week? Do I sell weapons to blacksmiths and random food bits to inn keepers? The economy of the game always confused me.

There are merchants in every city, and you just gotta figure out the optimal route and schedule for selling your stuff. I forget how often they replenish. Sell weapons/armor to a smith, and dump everything else at the general goods store (like Belethor in Whiterun). If you load up on loot again before the merchants have replenished their cash, go to the next city in your rotation and sell there. If this gets too tedious and you feel like you'd rather be out smashing trolls, then just go do that. There's always more loot.

If you actually enjoy the looting/selling routine more than smashing trolls, then there's an entire skill tree (speech) that helps you get better deals and even increase merchant gold reserves. You can also do the thief guild quest line for similar perks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beastie posted:

It's been a while since I've played, but select wait/sleep and repeat for 1-5 days, and their money (usually) replenishes. Skyrim's economy is such a poo poo system of skinflints.
Don't worry about getting the most from any one vendor. You can craft hundreds of iron daggers and poo poo far faster than the economy can purchase them.
Just fast travel to cities with vendors close by, and empty the account of every fucker that'll buy from you.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 23, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah you can just use the fast-wait option for 2 days, but ugh my immersion

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Okay, my inventory has been piling up and I've got some stuff I should just shed. I've got dozens of lesser soul gems that will never get used.

On my Xbox file I think I installed the cheat room and just maxed out my carry weight. I'm a hoarder when it comes to game items. It's part of the reason I can't focus in games like Borderlands. I just have an obsession with picking everything up because "I might need it"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ I used to grab everything, but changed it to items with at least a 3/4:1 gold-to-weight ratio or higher.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah you can just use the fast-wait option for 2 days, but ugh my immersion

This is why conjuration is the best class. You don't need money, you just summon demonic pokemon to fight for you.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 23, 2018

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

I've put a handful of hours into BotW so far (first two villages after the plateau) and I'm just not enjoying it, but I keep hearing to stick with it and it will get better. Is there a point where I can confidently say that it's just not for me and be at peace for quitting?

FWIW I don't like the combat, have been getting frustrated with my stuff breaking all the time, and I'm not really enjoying the environments. I was really looking forward to it, too, but I haven't played a modern Zelda game in a LOOOOOOONG time and I'm just not feeling it. The lack of direction is cool, but at least Dark Souls/Bloodborne give you some hint where to go. I think I'm waiting for a moment when I'll start to feel at least a little more powerful but I know I won't get any major new abilities, which is what's worrying me about my time in the game going forward.

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 23, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArgaWarga posted:

I've put a handful of hours into BotW so far (first two villages after the plateau) and I'm just not enjoying it, but I keep hearing to stick with it and it will get better. Is there a point where I can confidently say that it's just not for me and be at peace for quitting?

FWIW I don't like the combat, have been getting frustrated with my stuff breaking all the time, and I'm not really enjoying the environments. I was really looking forward to it, too, but I haven't played a modern Zelda game in a LOOOOOOONG time and I'm just not feeling it.

Maybe try a dungeon? They also kinda suck tho

Not every game is for everyone

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ArgaWarga posted:

FWIW I don't like the combat, have been getting frustrated with my stuff breaking all the time, and I'm not really enjoying the environments. I was really looking forward to it, too, but I haven't played a modern Zelda game in a LOOOOOOONG time and I'm just not feeling it.

If you don't like the combat or shrine puzzles, you won't like BotW. As for the world, it's very much an "exploration is its own reward" game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ArgaWarga posted:

If you can't just get over the weapons breaking you won't enjoy it. That's part of it. There are plenty. Deal.

As for the environments I don't know what to tell you. There are all sorts of climates and things but if you aren't having any fun by the time you get to where you are, it might just be not for you.

Also, this is barely like any other Zelda game at all, fwiw.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

If you can't just get over the weapons breaking you won't enjoy it. That's part of it. There are plenty. Deal.

It does get better later though since you can hold a billion weapons and the weapons themselves are more durable too

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I recommend this, as well. My approach turns the game into a time-sink, but I feel more like I'm roleplaying a character. With no fast travel, especially, I really learned the locations of towns relative to each other and what roads and routes are best. You can still get pretty wealthy without compulsively filling up your inventory with junk and then selling it like some kind of junk trader (versus being a rogue/wizard/warrior).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Real hurthling! posted:

Some console have system macros for a magnifier

Yeah PS4 puts other consoles to shame with accessibility settings. That magnifier was the only way I was ever able to navigate the inventory screens in Witcher 3 before it was patched, and I had a pretty decent TV

• Locked thread