Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My LGS still has their 4 copies of Gloomhaven (at MSRP) on the shelf as of last night. I’m rather surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FirstAidKite posted:

I eagerly await receiving our copy of gloomhaven and just immediately putting it into the board game tote because we don't have the a table big enough to play it on and don't have a good way to store the components once we open them up :v:

It's better for table space than I thought. We did the first scenario with 2 players on a table 75cm x 95cm (with the planos etc on a chair). It wasn't roomy but it worked well enough.

Carve out bits of the box to store the components.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FulsomFrank posted:

Holy Christ how hard is it to open up Kwaidan or any number of the various books on Japanese mythological characters and just pick the popular ones rather than half rear end it on wikipedia

When has CMON every put forth effort on anything but their minis?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Just dropping in to remind everyone that Millennium Blades is the dopest poo poo, and you're a sucka if you aren't playing it on the regular.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

CaptainRightful posted:

I've heard about Train for years, but this is the first time I've seen a photo of it. It's clear that it was never meant to actually be played by anyone and if it was, no one could really be blindsided by the twist. She over-egged the pudding with the shattered glass window.

I honestly think it's mostly banking on rando museum goers going "oh, so games can be about things". :monocle: I am not at all surprised that of all her 'mechanic is the message' designs, only the holocaust one gained any traction.

My only personal experience with modern art boardgamesque exhibits was essentially snakes and ladders themed around scathing comments about the music biz, which was extremely unambitious, but pretty funny in execution.

!Klams posted:

I think Arkham Horror does the exact same thing with much more subtlety.

"Event card: Oooh, it says I have to fight a gug!" (Begins to fight possible minority-demonising-analogy concocted by celebrated white supremacist).

You jest, but a bunch of commercial games have been tackling 'serious' themes in vastly more sophisticated manner. I'm mainly thinking about historical ones (I'd rate, say, anything Cole Wehrle published, as smarter than Train), but that might be my preferences.

Even corporate training games, which are absolutely dire in lazy shortcuts they take in the design tend to have more conveyance going on. I'm actually kind of surprised the actual mechanics of the 'mechanic is the message' series didn't go further in exploring the mechanics, given Brenda's background as a video game designer. I suppose she started as a writer and kinda stayed in that mindset?

Bottom Liner posted:

The only other games I could think of that achieve a similar effect were the video games Paper Please and This War is Mine (also a board game, but not sure how similar it ended up being).

Returning to this, because after few further cups of coffee I remembered that when talking indie video games, Stalin's Dilemma and STAVKA are amazing at this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chill la Chill posted:

My LGS still has their 4 copies of Gloomhaven (at MSRP) on the shelf as of last night. I’m rather surprised.

I kinda suspect that if you're the sort of person who wants to play Gloomhaven, you either haven't heard of it at all, or you've preordered or reserved it. It's not something people are gonna just casually pick up.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

I had a friend go on a mission to get his pre-ordered copy and to try and buy three more and was told they were only doing one per customer/pre-order.

One of the potential buyers held off too long and by the time he called they were sold out. The guys at the store thought they had enough to satisfy everyone that walked through for a while and they were gone in a day. Now my one buddy is considering paying a 25% mark up from one of our greasy boardgame cafes in town.

Crackbone posted:

When has CMON every put forth effort on anything but their minis?

Unfair is pretty well made! And the Modern Art reprint is a good one too. I can't remember if I own any other CMON games or have played any off the top of my head.

To be honest, getting tricked into adding a fake character is the least of my worries. The picture that was posted of randomly adding extra players is what frightens me on top of everything else. yes I backed it

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Just dropping in to remind everyone that Millennium Blades is the dopest poo poo, and you're a sucka if you aren't playing it on the regular.

Playing tonight actually! Can't wait to run some mega jank.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ethnos is also CMON. It has art by the Lord of the Rings guy but a really tacked-on fantasy theme with the map of loving Slovakia.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ragnar34 posted:

Gloomhaven is coming on Friday and I await with a shitload of little baggies. I look forward to finding out exactly why these baggies aren't good enough to store Gloomhaven. I welcome death.

Buy a bunch of small letter envelopes and an accordian folder with about 14 slots

You will thank me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are Shadowrun: Crossfire or the D&D reskin any fun? They caught my eye at the local game store library, but even just trying something for free I prefer to know whether it's worth the time spent learning the rules.

also RIP chat thread

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vegetable posted:

Ethnos is also CMON. It has art by the Lord of the Rings guy but a really tacked-on fantasy theme with the map of loving Slovakia.

Still a good game. So, for that matter, is Dogs of War, which is also a CMON game. Both designed by Paolo Mori (Libertalia). Good CMON games by other designers are World of Smog, Xenoshyft and Guilds of Cadwallon.

By a strange coincidence, all five of these good games are not miniatures based - although they do include minis (apart from Xenoshyft, which is a deck builder), they're just chrome. It's only CMON's own games centring on minis that are bad.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I played Shadowrun: Crossfire and found it to be an extremely frustrating cooperative game. It doesn't really seem like you have any control whatsoever about your actual chances of victory because it's just extremely stacked against you from the beginning and there's so much luck of the draw involved in what opportunities are available to you that you'd probably be better off just flipping coins until you get 5 heads in a row. It'd be faster.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Gentes KS up a day early! Or not I guess depending on your time zone?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/gentes-deluxifiedtm-edition?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=gentes

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Is there anywhere you can play Android Netrunner online with a ranking system?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Playing tonight actually! Can't wait to run some mega jank.

May all your clashes draw into 8-stars, my brother!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Is there a companion app for Gloomhaven on iOS, or is it Android only? I only see campaign/scenario helpers on iOS.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 23, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I kinda suspect that if you're the sort of person who wants to play Gloomhaven, you either haven't heard of it at all, or you've preordered or reserved it. It's not something people are gonna just casually pick up.

Nah, I saw some people elsewhere talk about it and complaining the other LGS didn't have it. They did a preorder but never announced it so I assume you got one if you were friends with the staff or owner.

It was always Tuesday, but I'm backing it on Wednesday, my dude. I'm so glad TMG doesn't do the lovely early bird pledges.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

Still a good game. So, for that matter, is Dogs of War, which is also a CMON game. Both designed by Paolo Mori (Libertalia). Good CMON games by other designers are World of Smog, Xenoshyft and Guilds of Cadwallon.

By a strange coincidence, all five of these good games are not miniatures based - although they do include minis (apart from Xenoshyft, which is a deck builder), they're just chrome. It's only CMON's own games centring on minis that are bad.
It's a good game, I agree, though I sometimes wish it was heavier.

I also second the earlier remark about Modern Art -- the art is really gorgeous and the overall artistic design of the game reveals a lot of effort.

e: quoted twice

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 23, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I just played Dragonfire last week, though we did the quick start rather than the full rules. It was alright I guess? The theme and mechanics are decent but it really encourages dictating other peoples' turns. At our table it's pretty much two of us who analyze the whole situation and when someone is about to make a suboptimal play we jump in and make sure hey what we really need is for you to play this here while he drops that card and so on.

It doesn't seem like a bad game but the deckbuilding is slow compared to other games. I do like that bought cards go in your hand instead of discard so you might buy a card to solve a problem now instead of getting it four turns later.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Fellis posted:

Digital board game chat: If you liked Monster Slayers (deckbuilding roguelike) you will probably love Slay the Spire. It’s very similar, but I found it to be way more strategic with a lot more possibilites for good decks than Monster Slayers, where each character really only has one good strategy to win. Also the art style/theme is way better.

Yeah - Slay the Spire is already the best game in the "Dream Quest" genre, I think, despite only having two playable characters at this point.

When I posted about it earlier, I complained that the game railroads you into "thin, perfectly consistent defensive deck with a single strong threat (eg. Noxious Gas or Searing Blow)". However, between some balance changes/patches and me getting better at the game, I no longer think that's true. My last couple wins have been with "a pile of 40 cards, and the power where you get 'block' whenever you trash something" (I won with like 4 cards left in the deck) and "insane thousand shivs, kill everything on first turn beatdown" (which, to be fair, requires a lot of luck on relics).

The game can still be frustratingly luck intensive. You see enough cards that usually you can make something on that side - but you don't see many relics, and often you need a relic or two to make a strategy viable. And if you don't go very heavy on defense, you still run the risk of hitting a couple "no defense" draws and getting wiped out by random monsters. It's still extremely unforgiving, and you have to be OK with losing a few runs to bad luck.

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm going shopping for Plano boxes tonight for Gloomhaven, and I've never purchased one before. Does anyone have a specific model recommendation?

I really prefer the "bead boxes" with rounded bottoms - they just work a lot better. Get them at a craft store.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So are there any worthy games on Kickstarter right now? I put down a pledge for Nemesis but I am not sure if I really should go through with it. Looks very cool and thematic but I am pretty unsure about the actual game part.

Also this Gentes looks cool but pretty similar in theme to a lot of civ-building games, what's fresh in it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OmegaGoo posted:

Is there a companion app for Gloomhaven on iOS, or is it Android only? I only see campaign/scenario helpers on iOS.

If you're looking for Gloomy Companion, it's only web-based at the moment. So far, I've just used my tablet.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I personally have AT LEAST ten older games on my "Would like to buy and play sometime" list. These are games that I can buy on Amazon and have in two days. I can't imagine ever wanting to bother backing a kickstarter when I could buy a game I know 100% is good and I can have straight away.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

angel opportunity posted:

Is there anywhere you can play Android Netrunner online with a ranking system?

jinteki.net is great but not sure about rankings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TorakFade posted:

Also this Gentes looks cool but pretty similar in theme to a lot of civ-building games, what's fresh in it?
The action selection using a delayed time currency is pretty cool. I personally don't have anything close enough to that which is why I'm getting it.

angel opportunity posted:

I personally have AT LEAST ten older games on my "Would like to buy and play sometime" list. These are games that I can buy on Amazon and have in two days. I can't imagine ever wanting to bother backing a kickstarter when I could buy a game I know 100% is good and I can have straight away.
That's true, but this is one of those "Spiel preorder or you won't ever have it" games. There's been plenty of reviews since then and it's been lauded by the likes of Heavy Cardboard whose tastes align with thread regulars. The only older game I have on my list left is Chinatown. Hopefully that'll be reprinted late this year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't often feel the urge to just post "LOL", but:

quote:

Gentes will be published in amazing Deluxified™ format, with all the quality you have come to expect from TMG.

quote:

Tasty Minstrel Games & Game Brewer present Stephen Risthaus' "Gentes" a game about ancient civilizations- in Deluxified™ Format!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jedit posted:

I don't often feel the urge to just post "LOL", but:

Err if it's the quality you've come to expect, doesn't that mean that the stuff that is not deluxified (tm) fails to reach that standard?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's another exploration of the board gaming design space in a much more light hearted and funny manner

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/objective-complicated-board-game-accurately-setting/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

An economics instructor and I just made a plan to combine our classes into a two-hour slot for a couple days so that his students can play some Food Chain Magnate on BGC as an interactive demonstration of production/supply - marketing/demand - price/location

:hellyeah:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's another exploration of the board gaming design space in a much more light hearted and funny manner

No irony, this is actually a great idea for a puzzle/game. With some work (or "legacy" elements) you could even have some fun re-setup-ability.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Is this where I kickstart a game where players try to build a Bed & Breakfast Galaxy Trucker-style and call it Gröver Häus?

But Jenga already exists...?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

An economics instructor and I just made a plan to combine our classes into a two-hour slot for a couple days so that his students can play some Food Chain Magnate on BGC as an interactive demonstration of production/supply - marketing/demand - price/location

:hellyeah:

this is awesome

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Plank Walker posted:

But Jenga already exists...?

Jenga, but with electrical wiring and plumbing.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Anybody got to try the two new maps for Concordia? Aegyptus and Creta, released in late 2017 (I believe). Planning to pick up Concordia mostly for two-player games and wandering whether these beat out Corsica, which I think is seen as the best map for two players.

Creta doesn’t feel all that different from Corsica to me. Creta has 9 provinces while Corsica has 8, but both have 20 cities. Creta has an isolated province with only one city and a “wild” Prefect bonus resource. I don’t see the wild bonus used much, but the fact that it only has ONE city means you can muck up your opponent’s Saturn points if you get there first. It’s neat, but not really a big deal.

I haven’t played Egyptus but looks like it’s definitely different. Half of the map is just a straight linear path and there are unique ways to get bonus points and goods. It’s not that big either, so it might be okay with two players.

Creta also comes with a board that replaces the original card market row. Some of the positions towards the right side of the row now require extra wine to buy the card. It can be used with any map. Wine becomes much more important, maybe a little too important compared to cloth. It changes the feel of the game more than the map itself. It’s nice to have for variety, but it’s only a slight improvement for me, if any at all.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Among all the crappy games we played at our grandparents houses growing up, I'm prepared to call Jenga as Actual Good™.

EBag
May 18, 2006

TorakFade posted:

So are there any worthy games on Kickstarter right now? I put down a pledge for Nemesis but I am not sure if I really should go through with it. Looks very cool and thematic but I am pretty unsure about the actual game part.

I'm backing the new editions of Neanderthal and Greenland, I haven't played any of Eklund's games but they're supposed to be good for thematic historical experiences. The themes of these ones are really interesting to me as I enjoy ancient human histories.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

TorakFade posted:

Okay, so I'll dive on the Gentes effort-post grenade:

It looks like a Civ-builder, but I can't really say it's that -- it's more like a engine-builder/recipe fulfillment game with the civ trappings overlaid like a nice glaze of marzipan on a thick cake. It's actually surprisingly modest in weight despite being from the designer of Arkwright. The novelty of it comes from a few things - one, it's an action-selection game with a really tight limit on actions which makes each one you choose almost certain to make the other players curse you for taking it out of the pool that turn. Two, actions are paid for with a "time" resource (like action points) and they have a sliding scale of efficiency, so the "best" action will cost two time, whereas someone who wants to take a similar action later in the turn may have to spend three or four.

What makes this particularly novel is that you can pay your time in one or two hourglass tiles. I can pay two time, for example, as one two-hourglass tile or two one-hourglass tiles. You might have six spaces open in a round on your board, so if you take a two action this turn with two tiles (and the action itself is a tile which will take up a third space), you're only leaving yourself three spaces, which means maybe one or two actions (if one of those actions takes 0 time and the other 1). So, those two hourglass tiles are clearly the most efficient because you can take the most actions each turn, right?

Well, no. Because at the end of a round, you clear all one hourglass tiles AND flip over two-hourglass tiles to become ones. You've essentially loaded up on actions one round, but paid for it with fewer actions in the next. And that's where the game becomes devilishly beautiful.

There's a lot of tugging in this game as a result of that and the third cool thing which is your citizenry. You have to purchase citizenry for your civilization - the techs and wonders all have requirements like, say, three soldiers and one merchant for a gladiatorial arena (just making this tech up as I go; I've played once at a con last November and am now getting my copy through KS). So, you'll want to go and buy up some soldiers and a merchant, right? Well, yes, BUT citizenry is on a shifting scale of cost - Soldiers may be on a space where you can buy one for 3 coins and two for 6 coins with an action. But your opponent buys them this round by taking that action first and, as a result, pushes soldiers, as the most recently bought type of citizenry, to the back of the queue, meaning you can now only buy one for 8 AND the action for even being allowed to spend up to 8 coins on citizens has already been taken this turn.

Did I mention that citizens are on three tracks of sliding opposition so that if, for example, you have four soldiers, you can only have two philosophers, or if you have five philosophers, you can only have one soldier? Because that happens too, meaning you have to make some real decisions about what direction you're taking your civ - if you want that late philosophical wonder (I forget what soldiers are actually opposed to; again, I'm just conveying concepts, not exact gospel from the rules), you're either going to need to go philosopher heavy OR find some tech that substitutes for philosophers OR find some late game moves that will let you switch from soldiers to philosophers in a hurry if you're greedy and want to play both sides of the available techs.

Again, ultimately a game with pretty simple concepts to teach - learned it out of the box in about 15-20 minutes when I played, but SO, SO complex in decision-making, even if the rules aren't particularly heavy.

It's a gem. It's worth it. Buy it and love it, if this sounds at all your bag.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Huxley posted:

Among all the crappy games we played at our grandparents houses growing up, I'm prepared to call Jenga as Actual Good™.

Chess clock Jenga is one of my favorite games. It's just so tense and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Huxley posted:

I'm prepared to defend Clue as Well-Themed. There are some obvious mechanic problems and some inherent silliness ("Oh no! I proved I did it!") but, well, watch Clue: The Movie.