Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got a question about modifying parts. A lot of zeon suits feature joined frontal skirts that could be separated via grooves in the panels. I managed to separate my Geara Zulu's front skirts with an xacto knife, but it was a very slow process to carve it out.

Is there an easier way to separate pieces like that which preferably doesn't involve wearing down sharp objects near my fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Every time I have money to spend I always consider getting the Psycho Zaku Ver. Ka, should I just take the dive and get it?

Also here's a picture of the last models I did. Wing Gundam Ver. Ka and the Tallgeese Ver. EW. First time actually using my Gundam markers, too, though it probably is kind of hard to see, just did pretty simple panel lines really, but I think it looks good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
True dedication would be making farraday cage armor out of sprue.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Xenothral posted:

Every time I have money to spend I always consider getting the Psycho Zaku Ver. Ka, should I just take the dive and get it?

Also here's a picture of the last models I did. Wing Gundam Ver. Ka and the Tallgeese Ver. EW. First time actually using my Gundam markers, too, though it probably is kind of hard to see, just did pretty simple panel lines really, but I think it looks good.

Do it, the Zaku is amazing.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm still debating between that and the FA-78 Thunderbolt for my next build once I get all my airbrush stuff. Realistically I'll end up getting both eventually anyways.

Ver Kas come with water decals, right? The water decals that actually go with the model (god dammit limited edition Providence)

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

garfield hentai posted:

I'm still debating between that and the FA-78 Thunderbolt for my next build once I get all my airbrush stuff. Realistically I'll end up getting both eventually anyways.

Ver Kas come with water decals, right? The water decals that actually go with the model (god dammit limited edition Providence)

Yeah, all ver.kas after the crossbone(I think) come with them.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I keep waffling on getting the PG Exia Lighting version for about the last 4 days now. I'm sure I could find a better use for $300 but it's such an awesome looking kit. Please send help.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

screech on the beach posted:

I keep waffling on getting the PG Exia Lighting version for about the last 4 days now. I'm sure I could find a better use for $300 but it's such an awesome looking kit. Please send help.

Do it. Embrace it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Give it enough juice and you can have it double as a lamp expenditure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Like a lighthouse but for weebs.

Am I just going to have to accept that using a Gundam Marker to lazy-paint like I did is going to leave it unevenly coated? I've never used a paint pen before and it's unruly as hell, but I don't have the apartment space for anything more involved.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Like a lighthouse but for weebs.

Am I just going to have to accept that using a Gundam Marker to lazy-paint like I did is going to leave it unevenly coated? I've never used a paint pen before and it's unruly as hell, but I don't have the apartment space for anything more involved.

Pretty much. Marker ink dries too fast for a good even coat; once a layer of paint dries enough further paint will just layer on top of it instead of mixing.

I know some gunpla peoples really dislike hand-painting, but it's not bad and you can get even coats with thinned enough paint. Only space you need for that is a comfy chair, cup of water, paints, and a brush.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I did coats really carefully in one direction, then let it dry and went in another direction, no matter what the markers look streaky as hell. I ended up using a bottle cap and smushing the marker into it until enough paint came out to brush on. It worked really well for details and small bits (boosters etc) but I just wanna jump right into airbrushing now.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ive just started handpainting and its extremely chill and relaxing. maybe people avoid it for the same reason i had been: when i was a kid i tried to handpaint models and had no idea what i was doing and it looked like dogshit and so i developed a pavlovian response.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handpainting can look as good as airbrushing but takes more practice to learn and more time to execute.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
The way I see it is what good is starting a hobby if I can't use it to justify buying gadgets

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've got a question about modifying parts. A lot of zeon suits feature joined frontal skirts that could be separated via grooves in the panels. I managed to separate my Geara Zulu's front skirts with an xacto knife, but it was a very slow process to carve it out.

Is there an easier way to separate pieces like that which preferably doesn't involve wearing down sharp objects near my fingers?

Etching saws are a thing. Should do exactly what you want as long as it's not too curvy a line.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

screech on the beach posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hV3CR

Sorry.

Fake edit : I'm not sorry, but buy it. It truly is an amazing kit and I'm sad I can't continue on building it.

If all PG from now on are as good as this then goodbye my wallet.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

your exia's lookin good but i just wanna say that this is the first time I've seen an imgur gallery with -10,000 points (in your posts)

I guess people really hate Forza

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
I've been handbrushing since I started building Gunpla. Well, not all of my kits, but it's split into:

-Straight-build with panel-lining and spot-painting on parts that need color (~60% of my kits)
-Straight-build with a hand-brushed coat of Testors acrylic semi-gloss clear-coat (~20%, mostly my MG kits)
-Full-on handbrushing (~20%, mainly the old-school kits)

With practice you can get some great results.

I've posted this one in a Gunpla thread before, but here is one of my first hand-brushed kits from ~2003: the old 1/144 G Gundam (1994)

Not my best work obviously-- this was probably my second or third time trying hand-brushing.

This is what my results look like nowadays:
1/100 Zaku I (1982 [1994 re-release])

1/100 Gouf (1982 [1994 re-release])

1/144 GM Cannon (1980s [1994 re-release])

1/60 Char's Zaku II (1980s [1994 re-release]) with Mega-Size Char's Zaku II

It's still not perfect, but it's a LOT better. It just takes patience and time, but the results are pretty good, I think.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Neurolimal posted:

your exia's lookin good but i just wanna say that this is the first time I've seen an imgur gallery with -10,000 points (in your posts)

I guess people really hate Forza

I wear it as a badge of pride.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midjack posted:

Handpainting can look as good as airbrushing but takes more practice to learn and more time to execute.

The trick to good handpainting is watch enough of the Warhammer TV's Duncan's tutorials until he convinces you it's as easy as he makes it look.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shinde posted:

It's still not perfect, but it's a LOT better. It just takes patience and time, but the results are pretty good, I think.

Definitely. The bold black lining and uneven thickness does a really good job of staying true-to-style on the retro kits.

Incidental to this convo, I just finished handpainting the final parts of the PG strike gundam frame I've been working on, I'l post pics tomorrow.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Puddin posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/hV3CR

Sorry.

Fake edit : I'm not sorry, but buy it. It truly is an amazing kit and I'm sad I can't continue on building it.

If all PG from now on are as good as this then goodbye my wallet.

That is great!

This will be my first time ever messing with an LED kit, is it going to be tough or is it relatively easy?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's super easy, the leds are all quick connects and the housings are designed really well. No soldering needed.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
That wasn't the answer I was looking for. :) Looks like I will end up biting the bullet.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I just spend like 3 hours building one arm of the PG Wing Zero, and I counted up the parts involved: counting the screws and stuff, 75. For an arm. Which is already almost the size of the RG Zaku it's going to end up next to in my case. This thing kicks rear end.

Midjack posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

The trick to good handpainting is watch enough of the Warhammer TV's Duncan's tutorials until he convinces you it's as easy as he makes it look.

Hell yeah. The key is just to do maddening numbers of thinned coats until eventually all the brush marks overlap in ways that hide everything and it smooths out. I've done a mess of Warhammer dudes with 3-5 coats in some spots, it just takes patience and practice. Absolute worst-case, you ruin a $20 HG kit, and you can try stripping the paint off and re-doing it later. But you still learn something doing it, and that's the important bit, because it means the next one will be better.

That said, when I do larger models, I do try to spray on the base coat - if not an airbrush, at least a rattle can.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 378 days!

am I reading this correctly? is the leo going to msrp at 1080 yen? If that's the case there's no excuse not to make an army of these

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tenderjerk posted:

am I reading this correctly? is the leo going to msrp at 1080 yen? If that's the case there's no excuse not to make an army of these

The Hi-Mock is a full 100 yen cheaper iirc.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tenderjerk posted:

That's an easy purchase of 5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TaurusOxford posted:

That's an easy purchase of 5.
BRB, painting Leo Power Rangers versus Hi-Mock Psycho Rangers.

Fake Edit: Tallgeese as the white ranger!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

im afraid its canon that their zords are hi-mocks

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

tenderjerk posted:

That's quite cheap for a box of explosives. :shepface:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

BRB, painting an entire Space Marine Chapter of Leos.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

punchymcpunch posted:

im afraid its canon that their zords are hi-mocks

Speaking of Tommy:

Soul of Chogokin Dragonzord looking quite nice, and is coming out in July for 17,000 yen.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

So it turns out theres more than just that GM.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hey kids gunpla master Marx Headroom here with a hot tip: using Contractor's Solvent to remove excess paint will make your model dissolve and melt before your very eyes. It's bad to kill but if you just murdered a gunpla and need to hide the evidence, ask your hardware store for Contractor's Solvent.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Perfect Grade Strike Gundam (Frame) https://imgur.com/gallery/jHV9c

Took way longer than I thought, but it was fun handpainting the whole thing! The nuln oil wash gave most of it a semigloss sheen, which I bet will look great peeking through matte armor.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

Pretty much. May release, estimated msrp 1080 yen (tax included!).

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

is there any way to thicken paint? im trying to touch up some stripes with vallejo white but its weirdly thin straight out of the bottle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

is there any way to thicken paint? im trying to touch up some stripes with vallejo white but its weirdly thin straight out of the bottle

I'd recommend multiple thin layers, but if you're set on thickening the paint then put some in your pallet and give it a half minute or more for the water in said paint to dry out.

Make sure to thoroughly shake the bottles, some paints can be super stubborn about not separating (coughreapersaffronyellowcoughvallejometalliccopper) which can result in getting water-heavy pigment-light drops.