Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

mightygerm posted:

Did anyone manage to figure out if gunlance shells scale with raw atk? I really like the weapon but I don't know if I want to invest time in it if it will struggle late in the game. This is my first MH game, so I'm not exactly sure how bad it was in earlier iterations.

Every weapon class is viable start to finish. Its a marvel of balance really. You will get individual monsters that are tougher with certain weapons. Like flying ones that aren't interested in stomping on you all the time are tough for lance, play with bow a bit! This giant crab is tough with blades weapons, it just bounces everything, build a hammer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BleepBlarf
Dec 3, 2006

Worst Man For The Job
Sort of devastated that we only get one palico this time around, so my 4th gen strategy of making cat puns based on hip-hop tag teams is no longer possible. Goodbye forever, KillerMeow, El-Purr(ducto), et al.

Was the character limit ever determined so I can optimize the next few days of agonizing cat-naming?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My cat will be named Ramyun. He will be a spicy boi

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My cat will be named Scoob as always to compliment my hunter.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Imma name mine Joann (after Joann Sfar)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Now that the final beta is over and we're desperately trying to find ways to pass the time, anyone change their minds on what weapons they'll use?

This is a very pointless poll I just like seeing stats and numbers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Now that the final beta is over and we're desperately trying to find ways to pass the time, anyone change their minds on what weapons they'll use?

Doesn't look like you can vote in that poll if you already voted.

Though I think I'd be interested to see a poll that only lets you pick one. If you could only pick one weapon, which would you use?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Every new MH game I swear I'm going to main something other than hammer and every time I just go back to hammer. Not going to kid myself this time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My breakdown for 4U and Gen was like 350 quests IG, 22 Bow and less than 5 of anything else combined.

So, probably just gonna leap around like an idiot with my insect buddy.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Doesn't look like you can vote in that poll if you already voted.

Though I think I'd be interested to see a poll that only lets you pick one. If you could only pick one weapon, which would you use?

Oh god oh man oh god oh man this is tough.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm gonna pvp people with the bow

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I used SnS and Longsword at first in Gen, till I finally settled on Switch Axe.

Now I'm going through the entirety of 4U with Charge Blade (I'm at G2 now and still not getting bored).

I'll probably build a few of those in World just to see the changes, but I'm thinking I'll try Gunlance, Hunting horn or maybe a ranged weapon for once.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh god oh man oh god oh man this is tough.

Right?

I ended up picking switch axe because I think there are situations where I wouldn't want to use my other favorite weapons (long sword and hunting horn).

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

In that situation I just end up going with charge blade, because it gives me the big booms and shielding of gunlance and the transforming ridiculousness of switch axe.

Means I miss out on my cute bug buddies, but oh well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I usually do great sword if I need to cut a tail solo, and I am interested to try out the the ranged weapons this time now that the game actually has a decent controller for it. But I will always return to my one true love of hammer.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Right?

I ended up picking switch axe because I think there are situations where I wouldn't want to use my other favorite weapons (long sword and hunting horn).

While I love SnS and Gun Lance, and was tempted to pick Charge Blade because it’s the weapon I haven’t used much of and am probably going to use first in MHW, I did have the most fun with Insect Glaive in the beta, and most fun will always win out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding, it's a nice problem to have. First it was dual blades because I played it during the first beta weekend and it just gelled really well, then during the second round I played switchaxe and I just couldn't get enough of the element discharges, then on the last round I went insect glaive and nailed it down, but then I tried hunting horn and found that I was good with it and now I can't loving make my mind up.

I'll just play them all!

Also, I named my cat Wednesday (first thing that came up on autotype) so it's at least nine characters long

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found the Insect Glaive really intimidating in Gen so I think I'm going to commit more time to it in World. I'll probably split my time between IG, Switch Axe, and Hunting Horn.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I did nothing but GS before, but I really want to try switch axe this go around. That latch on and discharge move is super cool.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I made a grave error in bringing up weapon use chat because this is just making me want to play the game more.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Emron posted:

I did nothing but GS before, but I really want to try switch axe this go around. That latch on and discharge move is super cool.

It's the best because you know exactly how to trigger it and the conditions are met really quickly through good play. It makes you feel like a major badass.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Are there oils in world?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

Are there oils in world?

There aren’t. However, the SnS can use the slinger without putting your weapon away, which is nice. SnS also has a new mid-combo turn swipe thing that can let you combo indefinitely while also changing positioning slightly, and has a new jump attack that you can use to either mount easily or deal big damage (and KO damage) with a falling shield bash. I never played with the oils, but the slinger + moveset changes give SnS a surprising amount of depth and flexibility, and it’s super fun to just hug a monster’s ankles and endlessly slash away at it and there’s loving nothing it can do.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
DB and CB are my go to if I'm having problems. But this time I think I'll go for the weapons I've shamefully ignored in past games, HH and GL.

As well as all the ranged weapons because I can't choose just one.

So still all the weapons.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's the best because you know exactly how to trigger it and the conditions are met really quickly through good play. It makes you feel like a major badass.

It does seem to devour sharpness impressively quickly though

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

PS4 preloading has started! 14.3GB. It's by region though so not everybody will get it until it's the 24th in their area.

Spuckuk posted:

It does seem to devour sharpness impressively quickly though

Yeah, that's the catch to a lot of the extravagant moments (especially if you're using gunlance), luckily whetstones are infinite use now.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I feel like gunlance will but my trouble weapon. Calm tank and counter with a huge gently caress off explosion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I usually do great sword if I need to cut a tail solo, and I am interested to try out the the ranged weapons this time now that the game actually has a decent controller for it. But I will always return to my one true love of hammer.

Gunning in MHW is pretty great. I'm still probably going to start with LBG myself because those mines are amazing.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

HH seems cool but it also seems like wasted potential if you’re not in a group? I’m probably totally wrong on that.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Are there actually ammo differences between the HBG and LBG? They both seemed to have two wyvernshots per clip?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Emron posted:

HH seems cool but it also seems like wasted potential if you’re not in a group? I’m probably totally wrong on that.

It shines brightest in multiplayer but self-buffing is nothing to scoff at

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching those Nerg speed run videos from Reddit, and it's really something else to watch people play some extremely over-the-top Monster Hunter.

And while you obviously can't draw too many conclusions about relative weapon power from the setups against a non-typical monster, it's neat to see how people have worked over the movelists already. The Lance in that fight is all about power guard countering and guard hopping over standard poke-dodging (as far as I can tell). The SnS guy pretty much only does the backstep-leap for damage, nearly every move he makes just sets him up to vault over and over and over.

The HBG fight looks like a scripted event in any other game, just nonstop explosions. The Hammer guy almost never does the standard charge-stop-attack, but I think is doing one of the moves that leads out of moving while releasing then following up with triangle?

Link again

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7s3fk3/mhw_beta_fastest_nergigante_solo_speedruns/

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Atoramos posted:

Are there actually ammo differences between the HBG and LBG? They both seemed to have two wyvernshots per clip?

It depends entirely on the Bowgun.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

PS4 preloading has started! 14.3GB. It's by region though so not everybody will get it until it's the 24th in their area.

Yeah, that's the catch to a lot of the extravagant moments (especially if you're using gunlance), luckily whetstones are infinite use now.

I was surprised at that how much of a mental difference that little QoL change of infinite use whetstone turned out to be. It's not like I ever ran out in previous games, but something about not having to pick them up and manage them felt good. One less thing between me and slapping the poo poo out of a dragon with another dragon's corpse.

Woah. I just realized MH is kinda morbid.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 23, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

I've been watching those Nerg speed run videos from Reddit, and it's really something else to watch people play some extremely over-the-top Monster Hunter.

And while you obviously can't draw too many conclusions about relative weapon power from the setups against a non-typical monster, it's neat to see how people have worked over the movelists already. The Lance in that fight is all about power guard countering and guard hopping over standard poke-dodging (as far as I can tell). The SnS guy pretty much only does the backstep-leap for damage, nearly every move he makes just sets him up to vault over and over and over.

The HBG fight looks like a scripted event in any other game, just nonstop explosions. The Hammer guy almost never does the standard charge-stop-attack, but I think is doing one of the moves that leads out of moving while releasing then following up with triangle?

Link again

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7s3fk3/mhw_beta_fastest_nergigante_solo_speedruns/

Great, now I wanna play lance.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

We are the monsters

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Let me fight Yellow Devil and the MM2 Dragon boss

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Atoramos posted:

Dunno but I do know that the lbg had some serious recoil/recovery time while using spread ammo.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So what can the cat do? Is it like a pet you pick damage/tank/heal sets for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bumper Stickup posted:

Dunno but I do know that the lbg had some serious recoil/recovery time while using spread ammo.

Were these statistics on which ammo was good and which sucked for a given weapon actually listed anywhere in the demo? I don't recall seeing them in the weapon stats.