Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think the problem is less with the infiltrator himself, but the fact most playbooks actually prefer the legwork, rather than mission phase.

If you want some proper boots on the ground, non-support competence in your team, you pretty much have to pick infiltrator, killer or the driver - and the latter two are somewhat situational, in that they'll really warp the mission around them. The infiltrator is your only all-around go somewhere, do poo poo, pop some fun abilities along the way playbook out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Well, looks like I'm going to be running a Monster of the Week game for my girlfriend, my friend, and his two 65-year-old parents who have never played an RPG before. Any tips particular to MotW? It seems pretty straightforward from my readthroughs (aside from the 7,000 GM moves for monsters).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want there to be a really solid Cyberpunk Heist Genre game in PbtA, because I think it's a great model for the way that sort of fiction works. Traditional RPGs usually don't allow for playing out a scenario where everyone is contributing to the mission, and their actions synergize and affect one another, but without everyone (except the hacker) being at the exact same place and time in the manner of an old-school dungeoncrawl. I like The Sprawl, on the whole, but it's a bit too fiddly and gear-minded for my liking. But like I said, there are other narrative games like Technoir that can do this, too.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

alternate hack and slash/volley/defend for Dungeon World

Needs a lot of reworking of the game to really function and I'm not sure about the 7-9. Shout out to Tunnels and Trolls though
I was gonna say, it sounds like a good way to do T&T style combat while making room for everyone to do something unique to their playbook if they have relevant moves.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, Blades in the Dark is right there. Just put Cyber- in front of everything.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, Blades in the Dark is right there. Just put Cyber- in front of everything.

Exact same hack for Leverage.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

BinaryDoubts posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to be running a Monster of the Week game for my girlfriend, my friend, and his two 65-year-old parents who have never played an RPG before. Any tips particular to MotW? It seems pretty straightforward from my readthroughs (aside from the 7,000 GM moves for monsters).

Make your monsters simple if you haven't run it before but have run PbtA. None of them are super-complicated, but most of them are not worth it to bring multiple moves per session. Have one big bad with a move, the rest being normal. Overall, if you stick to the book, it's pretty good at telling you exactly how to run it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I like The Sprawl, on the whole, but it's a bit too fiddly and gear-minded for my liking.

I've been pondering what would make a good cyberpunk/Shadowrun hack and gear has been a big concern for me. Bringing back elaborate gear tables would be wrong, but fetishizing the technology seems like part of the experience. Core texts like Neuromancer and Hardwired are so chock full of brand name gear and weapons that I can't see replacing them with generics. In my scratchpad, I've thought of making the brand name be part of the move, so you can't just say "I trigger my cybered-up nerves and steal the guard's gun," it has to be, "I trigger my Santoshi reflex booster and...".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, as I was saying to my gaming group talking about my Dune homebrew: statting out all the things a Mentat can do in precise detail in d20 or GURPS or Hero is about the last thing I want to do. But I also don't want to go the minimalist Fate route and just have a Mentat Aspect that you can tag for a bonus when you do Mentatty things. PbtA gives you some fun complexity in a rules-light narrative system.

Sprawl's gear complexity does have some problems where some stuff is just plain better or kinda pointless, like the problems with the Killer already outlined. It reminds me of similar issues when I played that Rogue Trader PbtA game floating around, but Rogue Trader Apocalypse isn't a published product.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been pondering what would make a good cyberpunk/Shadowrun hack and gear has been a big concern for me. Bringing back elaborate gear tables would be wrong, but fetishizing the technology seems like part of the experience. Core texts like Neuromancer and Hardwired are so chock full of brand name gear and weapons that I can't see replacing them with generics. In my scratchpad, I've thought of making the brand name be part of the move, so you can't just say "I trigger my cybered-up nerves and steal the guard's gun," it has to be, "I trigger my Santoshi reflex booster and...".

No idea when it will be finished, but ive been working on a shadowrun expansion for AW2E (not a hack, its literally meant to just add on to normal AW)

The way I went around that problem is giving everyone access to a (altered and expanded) version of the battlebabe custom weapon.

Rather than page after page of slightly different ways to kill people, you define your own. It keeps with the cyberpunk theme of "your gear and brands matter" and at the same time acts as another axis by which your character is unique and cool in the world, which pbta is absolutely about.

Take Neuromancer's Molly, her choice of a flechette pistol says something about her as much as the cyber eyes and finger razors do, maybe it doesnt say AS MUCH, but it says something.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

If you really wanted to you could even define half a dozen corps, each known for one particular aspect of their equipment, and have that be one of the things that you have to select from when you build your weapon. So a Santoshi might give your weapon AP, while a Maxilogistics might reduce incoming harm by 1. The disadvantage is less player creativity, but the advantage is that there's some basic worldbuilding already built into the system.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

thelazyblank posted:

Make your monsters simple if you haven't run it before but have run PbtA. None of them are super-complicated, but most of them are not worth it to bring multiple moves per session. Have one big bad with a move, the rest being normal. Overall, if you stick to the book, it's pretty good at telling you exactly how to run it.

Not just simple but classic. A vampire or a werefolf or a something that people just naturally grok the particular puzzle that must be solved to kill it. You don't want a straight big fight and you don't want to too deep a dive for newcomers.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Thanks for the advice re: MotW. I ended up running a session for my friend and my girlfriend and her roommate (they played one character together since they were a little intimidated). It went really well - they even asked if we could play again, which I wasn't expecting. The system worked pretty well, although I wish that the investigate move had a few more non-monstery options.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It wouldn't be too hard to port over Read a Person from standard Apocalypse World if you want more involved character drama.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So this past weekend my group and I just ran our first PBTA game (The Sprawl). We'd previously only played 5e stuff and are halfway through Curse of Strahd. I think we made the mistake of not preparing enough and not truly grasping the system before hopping in to play. The setup went great but as soon as we actually started playing it ground to a halt. We ended up stepping away for 4ish hours or so while I went and did a crash course reading and watching snippits of lets plays and took over for the original MC who was having trouble grok'ing how different it played from 5e (not really his fault, we were all unprepared and a bit confused). After that it went muuuch smoother, and everyone enjoyed it quite a bit. So much so that no one is really looking forward to going back to 5e anytime soon, which leads me to my question:

How much am I going to be fighting the system if I move our existing CoS campaign to Dungeon World? Obviously everyone would have to move their characters over, I figure maybe letting them be lvl 2 or pick an extra advanced move since they're all lvl 5/6 in D&D. Other than that I planned on using the characters/locations/narratives that already exist in the campaign, and just stick with the DW ruleset as much as possible. I know it may be a bit more "on rails" than normal DW games, for example I'd prob treat "spout lore" as similar to a history or arcana check in 5e, and instead of asking the players to fill in the relevant info, I'd simply narrate it to them.

Good idea/bad idea? I know it's not the best, but we're ~6mo invested into the campaign and about halfway through, so we're in a spot where everyone would like some closure to the campaign, but no one wants to sit through another 6 mo of 3 hour combat sessions just to get there. With the streamlining that PBTA brings we can prob wrap up CoS in one or two months.

Edit: I should also note that this is prob a long time coming, we didn't just try PBTA as a one-off and decided it was the new hotness and want to jump ship, everyone has been voicing concerns over the crunch of 5e for a while. If we wanted a tactics game we'd play a video game together, we look to RPG time for awesome stories and cool moments.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

trip9 posted:

How much am I going to be fighting the system if I move our existing CoS campaign to Dungeon World? Obviously everyone would have to move their characters over, I figure maybe letting them be lvl 2 or pick an extra advanced move since they're all lvl 5/6 in D&D. Other than that I planned on using the characters/locations/narratives that already exist in the campaign, and just stick with the DW ruleset as much as possible.
It should work well enough, just look out for a few things. Dungeon World characters are a lot more powerful than your standard D&D characters, so I wouldn't go crazy with that. I'd start them at level 2 so they get a bit more character customisation. Also picking the right playbook for each character could be tricky, since there isn't really a fighter/mage, Arcane Trickster, Warlock, swashbuckler, dumb rargh barbarian, monk or Casting-focused Druid in the core classes. There's a fuckton of custom classes around, we can probably find good ones for your guys so let us know who's in the party.

quote:

I know it may be a bit more "on rails" than normal DW games, for example I'd prob treat "spout lore" as similar to a history or arcana check in 5e, and instead of asking the players to fill in the relevant info, I'd simply narrate it to them.

I think you're overly worried about the power of this move. It doesn't inherently give much narrative power to the player, it just gets a lot of attention because the possibility of making up stuff on the fly as a player blows D&D people's minds.

quote:

When you consult your accumulated knowledge about something, roll+Int. ✴On a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation. ✴On a 7–9, the GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful. The GM might ask you “How do you know this?” Tell them the truth, now.

As a general rule, give them all the info they're going to need, don't gate stuff behind the roll. Also let them make stuff up if it's not super important and it's fun for both players and GMs. When poo poo goes in unexpected ways, rejoice because it's going to be exhilarating and memorable, and you can actually go along with stuff instead of flick through the monster manual in a panic and dump notes in a bin.

Also, my advice for new pbta gms is to keep a tally of each time a player makes a move and try to keep them even, it'll help you know about who's in the spotlight and who's not getting any of the action. Not having an initiative track is hard. With DW, try to give non-numbers consequences, it's way more interesting to take a finger or force them into a bad spot along with d6 hp. This goes for enemies too, when someone hacks and slashes you need to give the narrative a little kick since it's not a super narrativey move

E: oh yeah the race stuff is really limited because dungeon world draws from old-school D&D for setting details, you may need to whip up a custom thing for that. Just say in the thread and we'll batter something into place for you.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 31, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The problem I had approaching DW is that I would have to do a lot of rewriting to suit the races and alignment in my campaign setting. Not a big deal for experienced PbtA players, but if you're trying to sell a D&D group on trying a fundamentally different game...

anyway.

I was very preoccupied with the issue of bringing fists to a gunfight in AW, and how the Single Combat move doesn't model being able to slug someone who pulls a gun on you, which happens a lot in old action movies. I decided that go aggro or get in someone's face (Spirit of 77) covers casual violence just fine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

The problem I had approaching DW is that I would have to do a lot of rewriting to suit the races and alignment in my campaign setting. Not a big deal for experienced PbtA players, but if you're trying to sell a D&D group on trying a fundamentally different game...

anyway.

I was very preoccupied with the issue of bringing fists to a gunfight in AW, and how the Single Combat move doesn't model being able to slug someone who pulls a gun on you, which happens a lot in old action movies. I decided that go aggro or get in someone's face (Spirit of 77) covers casual violence just fine.

The new character sheets have blanks to write your own alignment triggers and race moves in. Still doesn't stop having to come up with them in the first place, but.

When you say "being able to slug someone who pulls a gun on you", I'd say Go Aggro covers using threats of violence to stop someone from pulling a gun and Overwatch is for not making threats but decking someone who tries to pull a gun on you anyway.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Punching someone who tries that is a pretty direct interfere on their roll, rolling plus HX.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I got my hands on a copy of Fellowship, which I'm really enjoying the rules and stats-damage-advantage-companion system. I'm really excited to possibly also play as the supreme evil overlord I've always wanted to be in my heart (but settled with dming).

Does anyone have any good recommendations of podcasts/videos/runthroughs of the game I can see in action? Watching Adam Koebel's Dungeon World oneshots really helped me understand and set the pace for my games.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/

The to winter's end campaign is a campaign done by gnome, the writer, themself.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for the response everyone. Luckily our party was pretty simple so I'm pretty sure there's direct analogues for their races and classes. We're running The Sprawl again this week and I think next week we'll try the DW version of our 5e campaign.

Anyone use Fantasy Grounds or is Roll20 the VTT of choice for PBTA? Seems like you can probably get away with just some sort of video chat and something like Trello or even Google Docs in a pinch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Goddamn does Fellowship basically do exactly what I want. Now I just want to play that instead of whatever dumb hack idea I had.

Fellowship is very good at that. It's relatively Generic which makes it great for adapting to other settings, but leans much more into anything with an ensemble cast with a specialty in fantasy or fantasy-esque settings. There are some settings it can't do quite as well or have more focused alternatives, but it's light enough that some creativity can fill in some of the more accessible gaps.

It's a shame there isn't more variety in PbtA games, but it hits some of the more popular types of settings as well as a few uncommon ones.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

OfChristandMen posted:

I got my hands on a copy of Fellowship, which I'm really enjoying the rules and stats-damage-advantage-companion system. I'm really excited to possibly also play as the supreme evil overlord I've always wanted to be in my heart (but settled with dming).

Does anyone have any good recommendations of podcasts/videos/runthroughs of the game I can see in action? Watching Adam Koebel's Dungeon World oneshots really helped me understand and set the pace for my games.

Would you consider running it online?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I've got a Monster of the Week game brewing and I'm running into the same worry I usually do with PbtA games, that is the rules there's lots of room for interpretation. Those are a huge part of what make these games so good but they've been a problem for me in the past. Specifically I'm looking at The Dark Side aspect of The Spooky, which says:
"The keeper can ask you to do nasty things (in accordance with the tags [they picked earlier]), when your powers need you to. If you do whatever is asked, mark experience. If you don't do it, then your powers are unavailable until the end of the mystery (or you cave)."

It sounds really great, but when the rules later on for making playbooks explicitly say it's there as a balancing factor against the playbook's other more powerful aspects I get wary of my ability to use it in a fun/interesting way. Any tips on when and how often stuff like that should kick in, or maybe examples of when it was used really well that anyone has seen?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I've got a Monster of the Week game brewing and I'm running into the same worry I usually do with PbtA games, that is the rules there's lots of room for interpretation. Those are a huge part of what make these games so good but they've been a problem for me in the past. Specifically I'm looking at The Dark Side aspect of The Spooky, which says:
"The keeper can ask you to do nasty things (in accordance with the tags [they picked earlier]), when your powers need you to. If you do whatever is asked, mark experience. If you don't do it, then your powers are unavailable until the end of the mystery (or you cave)."

It sounds really great, but when the rules later on for making playbooks explicitly say it's there as a balancing factor against the playbook's other more powerful aspects I get wary of my ability to use it in a fun/interesting way. Any tips on when and how often stuff like that should kick in, or maybe examples of when it was used really well that anyone has seen?

My advice with this sort of thing is to talk to the player about it. I don't know MotW specifically, but the idea with that sort of thing in PbtA games is generally to have enough communication with the player and/or ideas about their character to know what they're hoping will come up, then brainstorm from there; in this case, they're going to pick tags that I assume are related to the kinds of Bad Things they want their power to make them do, so that's going to be a start for brainstorming. If in doubt, ask the player, either with IC questions ("the last time you did this ritual, what sacrifice did you have to make?") or directly OOC ("so what kind of terrible things are you hoping to have go down when you play this guy?").

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Does anyone have any good custom moves for gambling (for Urban Shadows, if it matters)? I could have sworn I saw something along those lines somewhere.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
if it's just poker machines or other random stuff it's probably not worth rolling for or adjusting total wealth levels, if it's Poker or something like that, Act under Fire or it's equivalents should work fine since it's all about psychology.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I threw together this one, it might be "a bit much":

When you gamble a hand at the Important High Roller Casino, roll 2d6+Mind.

On a 10+, you impress someone present, you gain one debt on someone present, or you gain piece of useful information (the GM will tell you what)

On a 7-9, you gain one debt, but choose one:
-You cheated, but didn't get caught. Mark one Corruption.
- You cheated, and people are getting suspicious. You'd better get out. Now.
-You didn't win that big. Owe one debt
-A real shark joins the table. Take -1 ongoing to further gambling.

On a 6-, you owe one debt, and choose one.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Someone remade the Man playbook for Sagas of the Icelanders, taking the Operator as a base:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByF9qkt14FlUQnVwM2l6VjI1djA

Looks better than the default "counting beans" one.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Oh and just stumbled with this "Cartel" game:

http://www.magpiegames.com/cartel-ashcan-edition/

It does some neat things with drug moves, La policia moves and stress moves. Anyone tried it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

lessavini posted:

It does some neat things with drug moves, La policia moves and stress moves. Anyone tried it?

It rules and there's a KS starting soon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Golden Bee posted:

It rules and there's a KS starting soon.

Oh good, that game is screaming for more playbooks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

lessavini posted:

Cartel rules, it has excellent social interaction and the stress mechanics are really good for getting drama going. It is really lethal in combat so bring that up. It's a really tightly designed game. Also whenever you get the chance, do drugs and if you're running it and don't know what to do, introduce the CIA.

I'd recommend supplying a quick glossary of basic Spanish words if you don't know any so you can check what 'Pandilla' means and just pepper random vocab into the sentences. If people aren't finishing sentences with "Comprende, Amigo?" or whatever it's not as fun.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That looks excellent. Is there a place to get it is it just that playbook sheet for now?

And yeah, definitely should have El Coyote and El Padre as playbooks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

megane posted:

That looks excellent. Is there a place to get it is it just that playbook sheet for now?

And yeah, definitely should have El Coyote and El Padre as playbooks.

And the dirty lawyer, aka El Abogado, aka Saul Goodman.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

El Coyote might be weird because the game takes place 10 hours from the border. It’s explicitly not a game about Texas and Arizona.

Edit: The latest version is here http://drivethrurpg.com/product/225344/Cartel-Quickstart.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 20, 2018

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Is there a chunk of this thread that has discussed the Broken Worlds AW-hack for Kill Six Billion Demons? I'm exceedingly curious about it because I love the comic with all my heart, but I don't wanna make people rehash something if they'd rather just point me towards a preexisting discussion.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cartel is thematically awesome, but in their current state the rules have some pretty glaring holes in them. There's a bunch of stuff that as a narcotrafficante you'll want to do but that aren't really governed under the rules. For instance, sticking a gun in some pendejo's face and telling him to give you what you want (i.e. "go aggro"). The combat rules don't really make it clear what "inflict terrible harm" or "suffer little harm" actually mean considering that there's no harm track. The negotiation/manipulation rules lack the mechanical teeth that Apocalypse World has, so you're kind of left going, "Uh, ok. For now, I guess?" about pretty much everything.

The stress tracks and stress moves and drug rules are all (excuse the pun) loving dope, but IMO this game is not ready for prime-time, especially if you don't have a lot of other PbtA experience on which to fall back. We submitted a bunch of feedback to the author, but I don't know if any of it has been incorporated.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm sending the quick look to my group because we use PbtA a ton and can shore up the holes well enough for us but yea great concept and really cool ideas but the quick look doesn't paint as good a picture as the game probably deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The lack of intimidation I think is because you’re not supposed to threaten to do things… You’re supposed to do things. It’s very easy to play what you think is a nice member of the Cartel but along the way you’re going to have to hurt people, or lie to them, or gently caress them over.

If you want to intimidate someone, you can always pressure someone, propose a deal, or turn to violence.