Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Guys I played Legacy over my lunch break with a loaned izzet delver deck from a coworker and now I am price checking revised tropical islands and stuff please stop me with shakes and slaps thanks.

Weird. Still no invite and I'm supposedly priority. :shrug:

Just play decks with no duals...like burn! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Guys I played Legacy over my lunch break with a loaned izzet delver deck from a coworker and now I am price checking revised tropical islands ans stuff please stop me with shakes and slaps thanks.

Stop. It's a bad format that they're never going to fix and it also costs way too much. Plus the card Tropical Island has not been playable for like 4 years, ignoring the one copy every deck plays to activate DRS.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't got Arena yet either and I signed up ages ago. Not that I really care too much since I'm not THAT interested, but still kind of annoying.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Guys I played Legacy over my lunch break with a loaned izzet delver deck from a coworker and now I am price checking revised tropical islands and stuff please stop me with shakes and slaps thanks.

Weird. Still no invite and I'm supposedly priority. :shrug:

Legacy is incredibly fun

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was going to post “begone, Steve” but I’m apparently already too late

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Stop. It's a bad format that they're never going to fix and it also costs way too much. Plus the card Tropical Island has not been playable for like 4 years, ignoring the one copy every deck plays to activate DRS.

The Bug value Leovold piles only play one Trop?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy is incredibly fun

Agreed. It's by FAR my favorite format and these Team events have resulted in me getting to play it even more lately. Hopefully they keep up with them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the new plainwalker targeting templating is in Arena? "Lightning Strike deals 3 damage to any target" :cool:

What if i target a land

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Walked posted:

Agreed. It's by FAR my favorite format and these Team events have resulted in me getting to play it even more lately. Hopefully they keep up with them.

:same: except nobody in my friend group wants to pony up for standsrd

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Legacy, modern, sealed team event please

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Someone has made a run on ALL of the oubliettes.

GG pauper.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

GG pauper.

Goblin Lore, too!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

GG pauper.

Mono-black sucks anyway. When literally all of the Tron lands go then you can start panicking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hellsau posted:

Mono-black sucks anyway. When literally all of the Tron lands go then you can start panicking.

If I wanted to play Pauper, what are the staples I should pick up?

Besides Ash Barrens which are way too expensive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/YuuqM

CFB's reply to why they are charging more and giving less is because "You don't play to win prizes".

:smugdon:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

GG pauper.

I saw that. Man, I'm kicking myself for not getting a playset when they were like $15 a piece. Selling high now would be pretty rad.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Boring netdeck

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Matsuri posted:

I saw that. Man, I'm kicking myself for not getting a playset when they were like $15 a piece. Selling high now would be pretty rad.

When do you think I should unload mine?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When do you think I should unload mine?

If it were me, I'd do it now, since it's obviously a buyout. Because logically speaking, Oubliette is a stupid expensive card that's only played in one format-- Pauper-- in the most expensive deck in the format, Mono-Black Control (and it's only expensive BECAUSE of Oubliette)... which really isn't super great. And Pauper's the most budget format, and no one with half a brain is going to go out of their way to spend $120+ on a playset of Black Oblivion Rings in a subpar deck (even if it's a cool deck).

So I'd unload now while the hype is high, because I feel like WotC will reprint it sometime anyway since Pauper's becoming more popular, especially in paper. Because I have a feeling the price will absolutely crash to nothing if it gets reprinted at common (as it should be).

*Disclaimer: I have absolutely no experience in MTG finances or investments, I'm just rolling with common sense observations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's a $20 common that might get reprinted in a master's set.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can honestly see WOTC not wanting to reprint it even in a Masters set because it's "too complicated". Or putting it at rare or something citing complexity issues. I mean the current Oracle text is as long as Animate Dead's.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I need the lighter version (version 2) to spike as well so I can trade them for legacy duals, so get on that MTG finance

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Uh, just sharpie some guild gates or common dual lands? If you’re playing lunchtime legacy why waste your money?

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 24, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

I can honestly see WOTC not wanting to reprint it even in a Masters set because it's "too complicated". Or putting it at rare or something citing complexity issues. I mean the current Oracle text is as long as Animate Dead's.

Oubliette (Fixed) posted:

Exile target creature and all auras attached to it. It retains any counters on it.

When Oubliette leaves the battlefield, return that creature to the battlefield tapped. If you do, return all auras exiled this way to the battlefield under their owner's control and attached to that creature.

Ugh it's still a wall of text even with simplifying the dumbest part of it in a way that would surely cause mtgo to break.

All for a $20 black O.Ring.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Matsuri posted:

If it were me, I'd do it now, since it's obviously a buyout. Because logically speaking, Oubliette is a stupid expensive card that's only played in one format-- Pauper-- in the most expensive deck in the format, Mono-Black Control (and it's only expensive BECAUSE of Oubliette)... which really isn't super great. And Pauper's the most budget format, and no one with half a brain is going to go out of their way to spend $120+ on a playset of Black Oblivion Rings in a subpar deck (even if it's a cool deck).

So I'd unload now while the hype is high, because I feel like WotC will reprint it sometime anyway since Pauper's becoming more popular, especially in paper. Because I have a feeling the price will absolutely crash to nothing if it gets reprinted at common (as it should be).

*Disclaimer: I have absolutely no experience in MTG finances or investments, I'm just rolling with common sense observations.

If they print Oubliette at common in a Masters or Conspiracy set it immediately becomes a dime common. If they reprint it at rare for complexity reasons, maybe $2-3? Like Sinkhole is $4 after its reprint at rare.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Even Animate Dead was an uncommon in Eternal Masters.

And you need that BB to pump your Garys.

-I say, as a person who was really thinking about getting the 2 Oubliettes on CFB for 25 bucks each last week

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GoutPatrol posted:

Even Animate Dead was an uncommon in Eternal Masters.

And you need that BB to pump your Garys.

-I say, as a person who was really thinking about getting the 2 Oubliettes on CFB for 25 bucks each last week

I actually just saw an interesting twist on the MBC deck in Rakdos form, and it's Gary-less so Oubliettes don't really matter. It actually looks pretty cool, it went 5-0 in an Italian league. I'll post it in the pauper thread.

But yeah there's no "complexity" when it comes to Oubliette, it's a Black Oblivion ring that lets Auras stay attached. It's not rocket science.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

I actually just saw an interesting twist on the MBC deck in Rakdos form, and it's Gary-less so Oubliettes don't really matter. It actually looks pretty cool, it went 5-0 in an Italian league. I'll post it in the pauper thread.

But yeah there's no "complexity" when it comes to Oubliette, it's a Black Oblivion ring that lets Auras stay attached. It's not rocket science.

THERE IS A PAUPER THREAD?!?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

THERE IS A PAUPER THREAD?!?

You poor, ignorant soul. Welcome to the light.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

You poor, ignorant soul. Welcome to the light.

Finally a place where I can talk about how great u/w acid trip is!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dehtraen posted:

I need the lighter version (version 2) to spike as well so I can trade them for legacy duals, so get on that MTG finance

Uh, just sharpie some guild gates or common dual lands? If you’re playing lunchtime legacy why waste your money?

Well yeah but for playing at the FLGS my dude.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mono black is not even a remotely cool deck in pauper. i mean phyrexian rager is cool and cuombajj witches is cool but thats it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Truly the most uncool pauper deck

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no thats dead dog because its garbage and the community really wants it to be a real viable deck but mono black has been a loser deck ever since devotion

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Vampiric Visionary shake anything up?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Thank you to everyone who chimed in with advice earlier. I'm slowly going through my collection and evaluating a few deck options, and giving pauper decks serious consideration. We're playing again tomorrow, and although I don't have time to put something together by then, I'm bringing a an old pre-con I'd completely forgotten I had:

The Sparkler.

God help me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

mono black is not even a remotely cool deck in pauper. i mean phyrexian rager is cool and cuombajj witches is cool but thats it.

Dude there are so many cards in the mono-black deck that look absolutely fantastic. That's the best reason to play the deck - Witches, Oubliette, Pestilence, Corrupt, Spinning Darkness, Crypt Rats, Choking Sands, and there's a bunch of great Swamps too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kestral posted:

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with advice earlier. I'm slowly going through my collection and evaluating a few deck options, and giving pauper decks serious consideration. We're playing again tomorrow, and although I don't have time to put something together by then, I'm bringing a an old pre-con I'd completely forgotten I had:

The Sparkler.

God help me.

Hey I had both of the Exodus decks on this list as a kid, as well as The Plague. I kind of wish I still had that last one put together, it always comes up on these lists of best pre-cons ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Was Blackmail ever a playable card? I like it when cards make players interact outside the typical axes of play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Was Blackmail ever a playable card? I like it when cards make players interact outside the typical axes of play.

It shows up in 8 rack every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Iirc, it was in the first booster I ever opened.