Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished Resident Evil Code: Veronica this morning and it's a pretty kickass game, and harder than RE2/3 in a way I wasn't suspecting. Through the first 2/3rds of that game I felt constantly strapped for ammo/health. Pretty cool. Apparently I missed out on like 5 weapons though, so if I had dual SMGs and an AK and other crap maybe I would have felt differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't tend to play many games with extensive crafting systems in the first place but i would be quick to call out dragon age inquisition as having one of the worst designed crafting systems i've ever experienced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it's pretty much always a struggle for ammo in the first half of the game unless you're careful or avoid everything. Lots of people got to the plane Tyrant fight with nothing and gave up there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

No it's pretty much always a struggle for ammo in the first half of the game unless you're careful or avoid everything. Lots of people got to the plane Tyrant fight with nothing and gave up there.

I had to hit him with the crate 6 times

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once you master the triple slice knife technique for the regular zombies ammo isn't a problem for CV.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One annoying thing that would be better on a second run is knowing when you're going to change characters so you can, say, leave a fully kitted out grenade launcher for chris instead of basically never being able to use it for the rest of the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cowcaster posted:

i don't tend to play many games with extensive crafting systems in the first place but i would be quick to call out dragon age inquisition as having one of the worst designed crafting systems i've ever experienced

I remember Assassin's Creed 3 being loving atrocious too but I think it was less important whereas Inquisition really wants you to care.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Cowcaster posted:

Sure let me just scroll through this list of dozens of potential stat buffs from items with arbitrary rarities and buffs. 5 times per masterwork weapon. Let's also toss some probability-based ones so you can have fun savescumming

Oh you can also make attachments for your items but there's no way of knowing whether the weapon you make will have an open slot unless you flip back and forth between the crafting stations

Organize your weapons/materials by strength/rarity? HA, no

Oh and getting the good schematics and masterwork materials is predicated completely on looting every enemy/chest you come across, so have fun meticulously searching everything

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I know there's a dedicated Giant Bomb thread but I don't want to dive into that mess just to say that this Quicklook of Iconoclasts is making me tear my hair out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

3 days till DBFZ.
ah, that classic frieza line he said in their iconic duel

the tension it created

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some of the other potions in Inquistion are really good. They're one of the only bits of the crafting system that is worth dealing with.

If the combat and UI were better it'd justify loving around with crafting but as is it makes some basic mistakes (cross-character combos are essentially random, the UI won't tell you what your skills do mid-battle, etc) that make the fights so tedious that you might as well put the difficulty down and power through for the story and character interactions.

At least it's pretty.

But those are also bad....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

I know there's a dedicated Giant Bomb thread but I don't want to dive into that mess just to say that this Quicklook of Iconoclasts is making me tear my hair out.

15 mins in town looking at menus not enough for you?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

15 mins in town looking at menus not enough for you?

I could safely skip through that enough to see the crafting system and map, but it's the two professional games journalists looking at what seems like pretty understandable game design elements and scratch their heads like apes that was driving me mad. Two grown adults trying to combine a grenade launcher with a platform that has a blast icon and a red panel and failing to grasp what's expected of them despite doing it twice earlier in the same room. Then later trying to get a grenade to land on a particular tile by bouncing it off of walls moments after they manage to figure out that jumping and shooting down gives the grenade zero horizontal momentum.

I'm not trying to put them down and make myself sound like some MLG pro, but I would expect more from people who engage with this medium regularly.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
People who are trying to give up their RPG Item Hoarding Syndrome should try Riviera: The Promised Land

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
oh jesus

https://twitter.com/tomscott90/status/955402076099661824

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't believe my stupid lizard brain wants VR for this and Elite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I dunno why but charts always make me want to play games more

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/955682154649825280

This kinda fails on LS for one. If you aren't landing fade slash combos with LS then you're garbage, and landing those can be tricky on a level with GS.

Yeah you have easy two button infinite combos but they do poo poo unless you know how to build up to red-bar.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Zaphod42 posted:

This kinda fails on LS for one. If you aren't landing fade slash combos with LS then you're garbage, and landing those can be tricky on a level with GS.

Yeah you have easy two button infinite combos but they do poo poo unless you know how to build up to red-bar.

lmao at the idea I was ever going to understand monster hunter

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Not a Children posted:

You only need to understand one weapon type, not all of them.

Plenty of weapons are less complicated than some of the weirder ones. You get to pick the game you want. Different weapon types in MH are like different classes. Longsword is a bit trickier to play.

If nothing else sword and shield is super noobie mode. Sword and Shield is just "run around and poke a few times" it couldn't be easier. You can even use items while keeping your weapon drawn.
Greatsword is really straightforward but you gotta really know monster behavior to be able to time your slow attacks. GS is literally "hold button, release" and its all about timing that release.

Just stay away from LS, SA, and CB if you don't wanna learn combos and stuff

IG has the insect nectar mechanic but otherwise is pretty easy to understand

Lance is just hide behind your shield until its safe to poke

Hammer is charge like GS or do a spinny roll attack

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr E posted:

I can't believe my stupid lizard brain wants VR for this and Elite.

Hell yeah you do. VR's great, be sure to try it for IL-2 and Dirt Rally.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have decided to preorder MH instead of DBZ - forgive me Goku

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not a Children posted:

MH world is more approachable than the series has ever been FWIW (admittedly that is not a high bar to clear)

For example despite what Zaphod says things like fade slash combos with LS aren't a necessary mechanic to gitgud, just a helpful one that you can learn as you go

Basic mechanics of a weapon class takes all of like five minutes to learn, and a sodding lifetime to master just because each monster needs learning

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I have decided to preorder MH instead of DBZ - forgive me Goku

I'm buying both and not putting enough time into either.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I was going to pass on dbfz, but a friend who doesn't normally play fighting games said he was getting it, so I'm in.

Now I'll have to convince him to get mhw when it comes to pc.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I don't think that MH spreadsheet is very good for a few reasons. You can watch an eight-minute video on any weapon type and be good to go

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hate the pivot to video for gameplay guides so much, it totally loving sucks and wastes 1000% of my time with "Hey it's ya boi" garbage and having to listen to inane repetition to acquire information that I could read in 30 seconds. Seriously gently caress that poo poo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

taiko drum master vr

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate the pivot to video for gameplay guides so much, it totally loving sucks and wastes 1000% of my time with "Hey it's ya boi" garbage and having to listen to inane repetition to acquire information that I could read in 30 seconds. Seriously gently caress that poo poo

There was a period in between where people just recorded a minute long video of their character demonstrating how to find a certain thing, but the monetization of YouTube killed that kind of video.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even that kind of video is pretty unnecessary/frustrating when a single sentence and a screenshot will generally do

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seven minute intro of DBZ clips set to System of a Down
Brief 10 minute history of the youtuber's past with Monhun
90 seconds of a camcorder pointed at an old crt with scanlines 'showing' you how to do something but you can't even see it
Remember to like and subscribe and follow and tweet and facebook and myspace
Six minute outro of Naruto clips set to Drowning Pool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Seven minute intro of DBZ clips set to System of a Down
Brief 10 minute history of the youtuber's past with Monhun
90 seconds of a camcorder pointed at an old crt with scanlines 'showing' you how to do something but you can't even see it
Remember to like and subscribe and follow and tweet and facebook and myspace
Six minute outro of Naruto clips set to Drowning Pool

This is making me cheesed off just reading it!

I have always been a book learner, I suppose. My fond memories of games like X-Com and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri were probably amplified by the fact I could read these dense novel-length guides that broke down all the systems and explained concepts in depth. These days games tend to have wikis instead, which has the information but it's not the same as like, one expert taking a holistic unified approach to everything.

There are some games that are probably better with video guides, like fighting games, but even then I only actually started to understand how to play fighting games after reading a book about how they work. Also I picked my main in Injustice 2 probably because someone took the time to write down an in-depth guide instead of "You'll learn everything to need to know by watching me play online fights for five hours"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

even that kind of video is pretty unnecessary/frustrating when a single sentence and a screenshot will generally do

I can agree with that. There's been plenty of times where I have just wanted an GameFAQs style guide that I can keep open near by or Ctrl+F to a particular spot without digging through someone's 88 segment LP. At the same time, I think a well-edited video can help me understand a concept better than someone trying to articulate it. To stay with Monster Hunter as a topic, a written guide would be great to show me where I can find the correct materials for equipment I'm trying to build, but a video would be better to show me how different inputs and timings result in different attack combos.

It's the difference between saying "when you're in the second level of the hammer charge you can hold forward and release R2 to do a two-part vertical slam" or a video showing what it looks like when you are advancing through weapon charges as well as exactly where the weapon will be moving and how much time it takes.

e: They're two great tastes and I don't think one is inherently better than the other. Different styles are better suited for different topics, but it will always come down to the care and effort the author puts into the work.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 23, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sure, sure. it's just unfortunate that no one bothering to make the content can be bothered to discern which medium is best for which.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Specifically the gaijinhunter stuff is good and pretty respectful of your time, in my opinion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Probably just confirmation bias but i've found that any informational game video with copyright-free backing music (like Kevin MacLeod/Incompetech stuff) is gonna be short, sweet and to the point

bonus points for meatball parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXj4EEbU84

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to find your true MH weapon is to try them all out for yourself

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

current status oh god now i've got meatball parade on loop at work and im going mad

debating unplugging headphones so coworkers can join me in madness

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

How do I work on this? Is there some creed I should repeat to myself 24/7?

play every game with the roguelike mindset, if you die you die in real life. if you're super focused on keeping everyone alive all the time no matter what, your potions and elixirs will disappear like candy on the set of a my 600 lb life episode

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Also, you're not wasting consumables, you're wasting opportunities to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One thing ill say in favor of youtube video tutorials is being able to watch combos with the inputs on so you can see exactly what you need to press and when for something to work. A lot of fighting games will transcribe the combos as best they can but sometimes when they have something like "delay B" this can be a very, very tricky thing to figure out on your own through sheer trial and error.

• Locked thread