Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I was thinking on difficulty and power creep in this game after the reveal of the first Torment Renewal boss, and on the one hand Cuchulainn looks like a bunch of :tviv: for the third and maybe second stages.

On the other hand, I was able to blitz through the current event with nothing more than a few tweaks on my "farming" team of physical characters with dualcast LMs. Healing? Naw, no need for that. (Lion USB is sometimes necessary for getting mastery, so I'm not entirely without breaks.) So maybe all this power creep on the side of the enemies is warranted?

Power creep, yes, but it looks like an extremely tedious and probably boring fight. When you consider that the highest tier of whaling and optimal skills to sub 30 the fight took over 10 minutes of repetitive action, it's probably not quite a step in the right direction.

I do think they should reconsider either breaks or at least some of the puzzle aspects of nightmare dungeons for future fresh gameplay.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Do Magicites gain more experience after a battle if you have less of them equipped?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Keep in mind that in six months JP is going to be blowing through the new Torment content like they are blowing through 3* Magicites now.

You really shouldn't gauge the game on completely fresh content that isn't meant to be bumrushed instantly and is only doable by the whalest of whales.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Shoenin posted:

Do Magicites gain more experience after a battle if you have less of them equipped?

Yes.

Meatbag Cuchulain is clearly designed in anticipation of a new tier of power creep. I am guessing that a lot more people will be getting damage break enablement in some way, either through buffs or some kind of materia or memory crystal thing. Like, maybe MC4s will allow characters to do 5-digit damage instead of level to 120 or 7* equipment that gives overdrive materia or cool poo poo like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

NGDBSS posted:

I was thinking on difficulty and power creep in this game after the reveal of the first Torment Renewal boss, and on the one hand Cuchulainn looks like a bunch of :tviv: for the third and maybe second stages.

On the other hand, I was able to blitz through the current event with nothing more than a few tweaks on my "farming" team of physical characters with dualcast LMs. Healing? Naw, no need for that. (Lion USB is sometimes necessary for getting mastery, so I'm not entirely without breaks.) So maybe all this power creep on the side of the enemies is warranted?

Used to be I was struggling to beat 120 difficulty stages. Now I clear 180 with no healer, not bothering to build for his elemental weakness, my only struggles are using a stoneskin RW and remembering to break for mastery before he dies.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks for all the discussion on Tidus LMR! Turns out it's not useful for the way I play but for a lot of people it's essential. Good to know!

My sub 30 tidus runs involve getting his USB up as fast as possible

ANyway tidus is awesome

BGrifter posted:

Many people in the thread have done thirty dollar draws and ended up with a lot less than that. Plus it’s not just a single LMR, but the LMR you want more than almost any other in the game.

Still leaning toward not pulling but I can’t blame those who do.

I might not be the F2P audience but I paid $30 for Cloud USB and still feel like I shouldn't have done it. If I paid $30 for a 5* generic I sold off I'd feel even worse.

It's not about $30 being impossible to afford, it's what someone else mentioned - $30 is the price of a full game.

Bruceski posted:

Used to be I was struggling to beat 120 difficulty stages. Now I clear 180 with no healer, not bothering to build for his elemental weakness, my only struggles are using a stoneskin RW and remembering to break for mastery before he dies.

Which is great if you just started - I think a lot of the pushback comes from long time players seeing their top tier stuff become obsolete.

I quit the game for a full year, pulled on the latest banner and came back just as strong as my friend who played through that whole time. I think that's when he realized what the game is actually doing :v:

They've done a better job with balancing power that isn't just based on relic draws though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I might not be the F2P audience but I paid $30 for Cloud USB and still feel like I shouldn't have done it. If I paid $30 for a 5* generic I sold off I'd feel even worse.

It's not about $30 being impossible to afford, it's what someone else mentioned - $30 is the price of a full game.

Yeah, but many of those people who wince at $30 for a guaranteed top tier LMR will burn through $30 on dollar draws and get nothing useful for it. Better to skip the dollar draws for a month or two and just get something good.

It's the same amount of money, it's just a question of whether you want to spend it all at once or in tiny increments for a prayer of maybe getting something better. I won't be doing it, but I can understand why people would.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I keep telling people not to pull on this poo poo, but apparently I can't follow my own loving advice.

:shepicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Keep in mind that in six months JP is going to be blowing through the new Torment content like they are blowing through 3* Magicites now.

If they are, then the game is going to get into the kind of power creep spiral that is usually fatal for gacha games. Like, "everything up to this point is entirely obsolete now, and everything you get now will be irrelevant in three months" power creep. That's a good way to hemorrhage whales, considering DeNA has neither the clout nor the production values that Gumi has.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yes.

Meatbag Cuchulain is clearly designed in anticipation of a new tier of power creep. I am guessing that a lot more people will be getting damage break enablement in some way, either through buffs or some kind of materia or memory crystal thing. Like, maybe MC4s will allow characters to do 5-digit damage instead of level to 120 or 7* equipment that gives overdrive materia or cool poo poo like that.

This may be true and possibly the only thing that would make the thing even passable as a fight, but as been said it's dangerous territory for gacha.

The only other thing I can think of to help this particular level of creep smoothen out would be if the chain RW itself allowed for for the 5digit damage.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

KataraniSword posted:

If they are, then the game is going to get into the kind of power creep spiral that is usually fatal for gacha games. Like, "everything up to this point is entirely obsolete now, and everything you get now will be irrelevant in three months" power creep. That's a good way to hemorrhage whales, considering DeNA has neither the clout nor the production values that Gumi has.

I feel like gamechanging power spikes every 4-6 months have absolutely been the norm. There was luneth and advance, sazh/reds hastegas before those were common, the age of shout, onion bsb, on and on. I can never remember a time where reddit wasnt waiting 4-6 months for the next thing that would solve all of their current issues with bleeding edge content. The pattern to me always feels like: poo poo kicks your rear end --> you start getting stuff that catches up to that content --> festival with greatest hits of that power 'era', --> bask in being OP for a bit as power surpasses content, then almost immediately--> new era starts that kicks everyones rear end and cycle repeats.

The biggest difference I think is that stuff like vit0, reta/luneth, cloud USB RWs and other gamebreaky stuff seemed to be more of a workaround before and now they're locking out RWs from content.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 23, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Seems like this “power creep” is what allows new or lapsed players to cach up and participate though, so it’s not all bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There's always the easier older content if you're a bit behind the curve. I've only just gotten into magicites and its nice being able to tackle that sort of content even though it's been around for months and months and higher difficulties are just around the corner

There's no way I'm going to attempt 4* magicites any time soon but I've always had fun taking on content that I was capable of doing knowing that I'll be able to get onto the harder stuff eventually down the line

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I feel like gamechanging power spikes every 4-6 months have absolutely been the norm. There was luneth and advance, sazh/reds hastegas before those were common, the age of shout, onion bsb, on and on. I can never remember a time where reddit wasnt waiting 4-6 months for the next thing that would solve all of their current issues with bleeding edge content. The pattern to me always feels like: poo poo kicks your rear end --> you start getting stuff that catches up to that content --> festival with greatest hits of that power 'era', --> bask in being OP for a bit as power surpasses content, then almost immediately--> new era starts that kicks everyones rear end and cycle repeats.

The biggest difference I think is that stuff like vit0, reta/luneth, cloud USB RWs and other gamebreaky stuff seemed to be more of a workaround before and now they're locking out RWs from content.

I thought it was especially obvious when the previous fest was followed immediately by a banner with 2 broken USBs and 0 SSBs

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

There's always the easier older content if you're a bit behind the curve. I've only just gotten into magicites and its nice being able to tackle that sort of content even though it's been around for months and months and higher difficulties are just around the corner

There's no way I'm going to attempt 4* magicites any time soon but I've always had fun taking on content that I was capable of doing knowing that I'll be able to get onto the harder stuff eventually down the line

The hardest content being stuff that is permanently available or on a rotating schedule (aside from festival events) is also really nice. Compared to when the hardest content was the weekly events that would be rewards you missed for good if you couldn't full clear.

Parasol Waddle Dee
Oct 30, 2012

Waddle waddle.
Having permanent content as your peak achievement also works as a more permanent and consistent way to keep people pulling in light of the metagame, compared to events whose banners conveniently trivialize aspects of the content like they used to be in the first year and a half or so. Mainly it feels less taxing for people in the long haul.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Look at Cloud's USB2. It's another damage cap break, but has specific restrictions in how you can achieve it making it much less attractive as a RW than his USB1. I think the current crop of USBs were sort of design tests working up to that; first figuring out both how to obsolete BSBs to make ability reliance relevant again, and thus devaluing offensive RWs. Now cap breaking can be introduced more consistently using that model. They can't make bosses hit any harder unless they alter the current buff/debuff resistance paradigm or up character HP and stats via MC4 level breaks, so making everything a meatbag with tons of HP that can't be blown through in under 30 seconds with 10 x 9999 hit USbs and poo poo is the corner they've painted themselves into. It's the most obvious direction of power creep given the current situation.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Hey is there a specific day/time that dungeons do a reset? I did the (what I believed to be) daily orb/XP/Gold/Mats dungeons and they dont seem to have reset, just says "Master" over it which I assume means "cleared and no further rewards" or am I just being thick (most likely)? I'm GMT timezone if that matters.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hey is there a specific day/time that dungeons do a reset? I did the (what I believed to be) daily orb/XP/Gold/Mats dungeons and they dont seem to have reset, just says "Master" over it which I assume means "cleared and no further rewards" or am I just being thick (most likely)? I'm GMT timezone if that matters.
Daily dungeon rollover is at 12 AM Pacific (GMT -8 I think?), new day rollover is at 5AM, and event rollover is at 5PM.

The experience, gold, and Orb Meadows dungeons from Monday to Saturday are the same but the Sunday one is separate as it gives more stuff. Equipment materials is the same for all days of the week.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

You can only get the first time and mastery rewards for daily dungeons once, they don't reset like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

saltylopez posted:

The hardest content being stuff that is permanently available or on a rotating schedule (aside from festival events) is also really nice. Compared to when the hardest content was the weekly events that would be rewards you missed for good if you couldn't full clear.

That's what blew me out on Brave Exvius despite getting some really nice pulls. The power curve you were chasing was always in your face, and it felt like you couldn't take a breath.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tidus lmr aside (which seems to come back on at least three future banners anyway), folks on reddit are really hipping Edge’s ssb - is it really that essential to have for high end content?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really good but it's far from essential.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
It's just a very good piece of tech against physical heavy fights.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I have Edge SSB and I can't remember the last time I used it (I use his BSB when I want to hit Water weaknesses, otherwise he's typically on the bench). It's cool and does a lot of good stuff, but for me it seems to be worse than the sum of its parts:

- Hastega: For any hard content, I'm bringing Onion Knight or RW'ing Rikku, so this is redundant
- Last Stand: Niche. When I need it, I'd typically rather get it from a healer SB, but if you don't have that, Edge SSB is a fine source of it
- Phys-blink: Also niche, also not something I'm necessarily looking for from a pure-DPS character
- The SSB itself is Insta-cast: yeah, this part is really good obviously, especially for a mitigation SB

I'm not saying it's bad, it's certainly one of the best SSB's (certainly compared to the outdated DPS and medicas), but it's really niche. I can't see using it in most battles, unless you just started playing and need a Hastega. If there's a fight where you're going to get hit for 9999 physical damage every other turn, then yeah, this is the sort of thing you want.

Also, the armor it comes on is +Fire though so that's pretty useful.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I used Edge SSB2 in several magicite fights when they first came out but these days I don't need to use it anymore because I have higher damage output after some lucky pulls and the ability buffs.

It's really good for someone just starting magicites and other 200+ content.

I still think Noctis SSB is the best chooseable relic on this banner though. It's insane. Especially in JS fights. If I didn't already have it that would have been my first choice.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I mentioned this in chat the other day, but Edge SSB and Alphinaud SSB were essential for my early magicite clears. Keeping my team alive with last stand while the boss nuked themselves was a great combo. I don't use him for much otherwise, but if you need a source of haste and last stand he is great.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I believe there's one 4* magicite fight the Edge SSB2 gets hyped about the most, too lazy to look it up for now though. I think the gist is that every benefit of this SSB2 is highlighted in this fight in particular. Regular slows, physical heavy, and strong hits. I guess you spam the 5* ninja ability to hit weakness (maybe take an entrust on top) and then cast SSB2 whenever needed. Supposedly you wouldn't even need a healer for this battle either.

It's probably not essential, but like a lot of the utility SBs, they're there to make life easier. Keep in mind, at least from what we've seen from 3*, they're somewhat scripted fights with a predictable moveset. As you get used to the flow of the fights, it gets easier to maximize a pseudo niche SB like this one.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Does Noctis SSB Party Instant Cast stack on top of stuff like Lightning/Shelke's "start battle with Instant Cast 3" or does it get lost? Like would you then get Instant Cast 4 if it was used at the start of battle?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

iamsosmrt posted:

I believe there's one 4* magicite fight the Edge SSB2 gets hyped about the most, too lazy to look it up for now though. I think the gist is that every benefit of this SSB2 is highlighted in this fight in particular. Regular slows, physical heavy, and strong hits. I guess you spam the 5* ninja ability to hit weakness (maybe take an entrust on top) and then cast SSB2 whenever needed. Supposedly you wouldn't even need a healer for this battle either.

It's probably not essential, but like a lot of the utility SBs, they're there to make life easier. Keep in mind, at least from what we've seen from 3*, they're somewhat scripted fights with a predictable moveset. As you get used to the flow of the fights, it gets easier to maximize a pseudo niche SB like this one.

You're thinking of 4* Ixion. He has a party wide Dispel that's a pain in the rear end but because it's attached to a physical attack you can blink through it and completely ignore the danger. Edge SSB2 is prime in this case as well as other sources of reliable pblink.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Does Noctis SSB Party Instant Cast stack on top of stuff like Lightning/Shelke's "start battle with Instant Cast 3" or does it get lost? Like would you then get Instant Cast 4 if it was used at the start of battle?

Instacast charges from different sources are not additive, but overwrites are in the player's favor. IE. if you have 3 stacks and an ability would grant 1 stack, you keep the 3. If you have 1 stack and an ability would grant 3, you would get 3.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You're thinking of 4* Ixion. He has a party wide Dispel that's a pain in the rear end but because it's attached to a physical attack you can blink through it and completely ignore the danger. Edge SSB2 is prime in this case as well as other sources of reliable pblink.

Ninjas also get earth abilities from the FFV event to exploit weakness on Ixion too right?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Should I craft and be using Lifesyphon when grinding out stamina from realm dungeons? Is it a good investment of orbs when first starting out? I’m still basically cruising along relying on RW to kill end bosses right now, hitting difficulty 80/90 or so.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

synthetik posted:

Should I craft and be using Lifesyphon when grinding out stamina from realm dungeons? Is it a good investment of orbs when first starting out? I’m still basically cruising along relying on RW to kill end bosses right now, hitting difficulty 80/90 or so.

I have 3 fully honed copies of Lifesiphon I use regularly and sometimes consider making a fourth. It (along with Wrath) is a very good use of your 4 star orbs. I think the only 4 star abilities I would give higher priority for a new player would be Protectga, Shellga, and Power and Magic Breakdown.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, lifesiphon is really good, especially as you progress to the point where you're using your own SBs rather than relying on RWs. I've got four copies of R3 lifesiphon, and even though I don't use them as much as I used to, I definitely wouldn't shatter them either.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One more down. :toot:

Tried to take on neo bahamut next but that didn't go well at all... attacks barely scratch him, do I need to take magic against him?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Avalerion posted:

Tried to take on neo bahamut next but that didn't go well at all... attacks barely scratch him, do I need to take magic against him?

...Yeah. Summon magic, to be specific. You want to bring characters of the same ability school of the ability you're trying to obtain, typically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avalerion posted:

specifically, you need to take summon magic against him. black and ninja magic will make him ruin your day. the good news is since he was released all the summons have been buffed with more casts and some with more hits, i was able to disintegrate him last week without even understanding what his gimmick was supposed to be beyond the summon magic thing.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Generally for the nightmare bosses you need a team comprised of the characters that are users of whatever ability that boss unlocks. So you will most likely want to use Summoners for Neo Bahamut.

e:fb; but I'll add this link to an index of guides for the nightmare bosses:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5v3ubd/omega_drive_record_combat_2_nightmare_dungeon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

saltylopez posted:

Ninjas also get earth abilities from the FFV event to exploit weakness on Ixion too right?

Yup! So Edge with his SSB2 is a very good slot for that fight since he'll be able to bypass the party dispel and also contribute damage. Similarly Arc's SSB2 of all things will actually be a pretty good tool for being an instant medica with phys blink attached.

• Locked thread