Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

New Butt Order posted:

Of those three, only Durthu can stand and fight in an extended melee like Grimgor can. Kroq'gar might be able to too but Lizardmen are a bunch of fuckin nerds who can't even raid stance so who cares.

They usually don't have to fight in melee's as extended because they can actually kill enemy units with their AOE. :v: Grimgor has to fight dudes for-loving-ever because his attack animations are wimpy and hit like one dude at a time.

Also Kroq'gar on Grimloq is great, but Kroq'gar on foot is basically just Grimgor but he also gets Cold Blood and bound spells. And with Kholek's armor increase and +physical resist upgrades he's functionally immortal in campaign.

And gently caress that, Lizardmen own. They're one of the 3 cool factions in the game (Lizardmen, Skaven, Tomb Kings)

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Chariots aren't a flanking unit so much as an impact unit. Chariots can often go straight through a frontline with their charge and keep going to take out archers. They are valuable for combined arms because your own infantry charge is going to go much better against disordered and terrified enemy melee units.

Chariots rule and their main weapon is impact so yeah never ever leave them sitting in place. Especially in a fight.
Is there a good rule of thumb for judging whether a chariot unit will be able to push through an infantry line? Charging chariots into enemy infantry from the front and then following it up with your own means that you're risking trapping your chariots between the two infantry bodies if they can't push through.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I will pretty much always take Grimgor in mp against dwarfs, skaven, other green skins, any other time I think I’ll be up against an infantry Lord or a high infantry army without much cavalry. Grimgor is very, very good and will beat nearly any character in the game in sustained combat. Only cycle charging by a high mass mount can defeat him. Plus he’s inexpensive.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Zore posted:

They usually don't have to fight in melee's as extended because they can actually kill enemy units with their AOE. :v: Grimgor has to fight dudes for-loving-ever because his attack animations are wimpy and hit like one dude at a time.

And gently caress that, Lizardmen own. They're one of the 3 cool factions in the game (Lizardmen, Skaven, Tomb Kings)

1v1 me at Karak 8 Peaks u bihtc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I will pretty much always take Grimgor in mp against dwarfs, skaven, other green skins, any other time I think I’ll be up against an infantry Lord or a high infantry army without much cavalry. Grimgor is very, very good and will beat nearly any character in the game in sustained combat. Only cycle charging by a high mass mount can defeat him. Plus he’s inexpensive.

I prefer Azhag because Lore of Death is so much better than the Waaagh! lores.

Also his Wyvern is beastly as hell now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
uuuuuugh khalida's start isn't so much hard as obnoxious

the only major player who doesn't like you is kroq-gar and he's bribable, but if the dominos fall wrong getting your first two provinces secured is such a slog

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grimgor should have an ability you can buy in mp or unlock in single player that reflects his rising orc waaaagh power and makes him so big that he can't be knocked down.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zore posted:

Kholek, Kroq'gar and Durthu beg to differ.

Personally I can't wait until Skarbrand shows up in game 3 to show people what a real combat lord looks like

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb for judging whether a chariot unit will be able to push through an infantry line? Charging chariots into enemy infantry from the front and then following it up with your own means that you're risking trapping your chariots between the two infantry bodies if they can't push through.

Do they have charge defense vs large? If not, you can make it through. If they do... You can probably make it through.

It depends more how many rows deep the unit is rather than what unit you're hitting. If they get stuck there's always the "mass right click" option to get them through though you'll scratch the paint job.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archonex posted:

I'm not sure if it's Cataph's newly updated mods, the better camera mod, or the "You can assign units to an AI general." mod that's doing this but holy poo poo is it hilarious. It's probably Cataph's, given that he covertly renamed Grombrindal to some some vaguely spanish sounding name back when people couldn't actually play as him and could only see his name in the choose your start menu. It confused the hell out of people and made them think it was the devs loving up the translation up until he chimed in and said "Yeah, that was me. Gotcha!" to calm people down.

See if you can spot the difference. It certainly took me off guard when I first noticed it.

I have no Cataph mods and this is in my game as well.

I really hope this is CA.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Nothing quite as fun as getting attacked by three TK armies at once really early in the game, having Settra and 99.9% of my starting army die, and proceeding to watch as my kitty cat happily lunges and leaps through 1500 skeletons having a grand time en route to a clean victory.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
We are definitely going to need a nickname for death kitty, like Fluffy is for Mannfred's Varghulf. I shall now rename the starting sphinx "Snowball"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mods change my name to Golden Bone Lord tia

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just lol if you aren't stacking the absurd amount of Skeleton Archer buffs that the game throws at you as Khalida. My little undead dudes might not be the best shots in the world, but by god their hearts are in the right place.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

uuuuuugh khalida's start isn't so much hard as obnoxious

the only major player who doesn't like you is kroq-gar and he's bribable, but if the dominos fall wrong getting your first two provinces secured is such a slog

It's much better in Vortex than Mortal Empires. I've already been at war with the Dwarfs, Skaven and Lizardmen in less than 25 turns.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally I can't wait until Skarbrand shows up in game 3 to show people what a real combat lord looks like

I will be extremely disappointed in CA if Skarsbrand’s gimmick isn’t “literally the strongest single unit in the game but also completely unable to be controlled”. Maybe not friendly fire but he should just charge the first loving enemy immediately every fight.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

I will be extremely disappointed in CA if Skarsbrand’s gimmick isn’t “literally the strongest single unit in the game but also completely unable to be controlled”. Maybe not friendly fire but he should just charge the first loving enemy immediately every fight.

His murderlust is also contagious in the lore so he should have something similar to the witchelves but even more ridiculous

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

turn off the TV posted:

Just lol if you aren't stacking the absurd amount of Skeleton Archer buffs that the game throws at you as Khalida. My little undead dudes might not be the best shots in the world, but by god their hearts are in the right place.

a bunch of jars in the palace cellar

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Charge defense against large and high mass units are things you want to avoid.

Chariots are quite good about pushing through normal infantry though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seems pretty easy to immediately trigger Rampage at the start of a fight now that Rampage is a feature.

Arglebargle III posted:

Charge defense against large and high mass units are things you want to avoid.

Chariots are quite good about pushing through normal infantry though.
High mass = cav, high-tier dwarves, large units, etc?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Funny note about Arkhan the Black. He had that name while he was alive.

You see, he gained it for the color of his teeth. Even among desert-dwelling bronze aged pseudoegyptians his grasp on dental hygiene was legendarily shaky.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So what is the secret to Chariot dominance? Just give them move actions through the enemy mass, or do you actually go with attack actions and order them to retreat as soon as they finish charging?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What exactly triggers charge defense vs. large or vs. anything? Does the defending unit have to be facing the charger or not currently engaged in melee, or what exactly?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Seems pretty easy to immediately trigger Rampage at the start of a fight now that Rampage is a feature.

High mass = cav, high-tier dwarves, large units, etc?

Physically large not like a lot of guys.

I think high-tier dwarves and cavalry and physically large models like tree kin all count.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eschatos posted:

So what is the secret to Chariot dominance? Just give them move actions through the enemy mass, or do you actually go with attack actions and order them to retreat as soon as they finish charging?

They are not very good at turning around, generally you want to give them a charge order and then after they impact give them a run order behind the unit you want to pull them through.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Archonex posted:

They definitely are. I'm just curious if adventuring down there does anything.

There were a few super rare events that'd come up to do with the Tomb Kings before this expansion that had no working options. But those were in other areas of the world and obviously unfinished.

Also as the Tomb Kings are there any random events that pop up like mercenary bands showing up in your lands looking to plunder?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Teclis is pretty catty to his new neighbor :allears:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Mods, new thread title. Settra demands it.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 - Settra, Great King, The Imperishable, Khemrikhara, The Great King of Nehekhara, King of Kings, Opener of the Way, Wielder of the Divine Flame, Punisher of Nomads, The Great Unifier, Commander of the Golden Legion, Sacred of Appearance, Bringer of Light, Father of Hawks, Builder of Cities, Protector of the Two Worlds, Keeper of the Hours, Chosen of Ptra, High Stewart of the Horizon, Sailor of the Great Vitae, Sentinel of the Two Realms, The Undisputed, Begetter of the Begat, Scourge of the Faithless, Carrion-Feeder, First of the Charnel Valley, Rider of the Sacred Chariot, Vanquisher of Vermin, Champion of the Death Arena, Mighty Lion of the Infinite Desert, Emperor of the Shifting Sands, He Who Holds the Sceptre, Great Hawk of the Heavens, Arch-Sultan of Atalan, Waker of the Hierotitan, Monarch of the Sky, Majestic Emperor of the Shifting Sands, Champion of the Desert Gods, Breaker of the Ogre Clans, Builder of the Great Pyramid, Terror of the Living, Master of the Never-Ending Horizon, Master of the Necropolises, Taker of Souls, Tyrant to the Foolish, Bearer of Ptra's Holy Blade, Scion of Usirian, Scion of Nehek, The Great, Chaser of Nightmares, Keeper of the Royal Herat, Founder of the Mortuary Cult, Banisher of the Grand Hierophant, High Lord Admiral of the Deathfleets, Guardian of the Charnel Pass, Tamer of the Liche King, Unliving Jackal Lord, Dismisser of the Warrior Queen, Charioteer of the Gods, He Who Does Not Serve, Slayer of Redditras, Scarab Purger, Favoured of Usirian, Player of the Great Game, Liberator of Life, Lord Sand, Wrangler of Scorpions, Emperor of the Dunes, Eternal Sovereign of Khemri's Legions, Seneschal of the Great Sandy Desert, Curserer of the Living, Regent of the Eastern Mountains, Warden of the Eternal Necropolis, Herald of All Heralds, Caller of the Bitter Wind, God-Tamer, Master of the Mortis River, Guardian of the Dead, Great Keeper of the Obelisks, Deacon of the Ash River, Belated of Wakers, General of the Mighty Frame, Summoner of Sandstorms, Master of All Necrotects, Prince of Dust, Tyrant of Araby, Purger of the Greenskin Breathers, Killer of the False God's Champions, Tyrant of the Gold Dunes, Golden Bone Lord, Avenger of the Dead, Carrion Master, Eternal Warden of Nehek's Land, Breaker of Djaf's Bonds, et cetera, et cetera.

Slayer of Redditras, indeed.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 23, 2018

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I like how chill the tomb kings vortex campaign is. How far along are the others? Dunno. Who cares? I'm not gonna worry my pretty lil head over it. Is it even possible for the others to win? Are they competing with me at all? Settra cares not for such things.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Comstar posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 -

Slayer of Redditras, indeed.

Settra's just asking for a bunch of cossacks to mega-dunk on him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SirPhoebos posted:

Settra's just asking for a bunch of cossacks to mega-dunk on him.

The Reply of the Ungol Hetmanate to Lord Settra the Imperishable would be wonderful.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Night10194 posted:

The Reply of the Ungol Hetmanate to Lord Settra the Imperishable would be wonderful.

I can only imagine they run out of burns halfway through and then it's several pages of "more like LAMEtra the ImLAMEshable"

Also of Settra shouldn't have actual Tomb Kings as his special lords, just bootlickers who fight under one of his titles. Like how the Rome 2 armies all had cool names.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 23, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I assume that Arkhan does not let you make a mixed army in MP right

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

What exactly triggers charge defense vs. large or vs. anything? Does the defending unit have to be facing the charger or not currently engaged in melee, or what exactly?

Pretty sure they need to be facing the charge and not moving so they're "braced". They will animate and look ready if it works (but you're already being charged at this point).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eej posted:

I assume that Arkhan does not let you make a mixed army in MP right

I think I saw a replay where he does, actually.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Comstar posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 - Settra, Lord Sand, Belated of Wakers.

I felt these 2 titles deserved highlighting.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah he does.

Its just not super useful since the VC units he gets access to are kinda bad.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah he does.

Its just not super useful since the VC units he gets access to are kinda bad.

I would definitely rather have fel bats than carrion. That’s about it though.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
God drat help up in work and then car died on commute. I just want my spoopy army :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ChickenWyngz posted:

God drat help up in work and then car died on commute. I just want my spoopy army :(

I can't wait to get home today, so much so that I will be unproductive to the point they might as well let me go now.