Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i wonder who jack the ripper was....

Goons should put their heads together to finally figure that little mystery out, they'd be about as likely to solve that as The Secret at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i still get up early every saturday morning and set out with my metal detector to find the tomb of genghis khan

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
this thread is liquid farts

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Serious request: can podcast guy please have Urban Smurf as a guest? Preferably a recurring segment but a single interview would be v. good.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jubs posted:

The artist had to know in order to put hidden stuff in the paintings.

As far as I can recall, the artist knew the location for the puzzle people actually managed to solve, and didn't know for the rest.

There may be some correlation here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cobalt60 posted:

Serious request: can podcast guy please have Urban Smurf as a guest? Preferably a recurring segment but a single interview would be v. good.

This plus an episode complaining about broken wrists and how they’re all destroyed by now and there’s no point. But mostly Urban Smurf. Actually he should just do his own podcast.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did Xie tell the thread where he thought the Boston treasure was? He had PM’d me at one point (I wanted to meet up and film him digging) and I don’t remember if what he told me was posted in the thread or not.

He believed it’s buried under one of the lampposts by the Hatch Memorial Shell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
you are all garbage brains

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

I'm shocked that they kept showing slow motion shots of Josh breaking both of his wrists when he started digging.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
I know where the one in St Augustine is.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The only people who are qualified to find this treasure is the curse of oak island guys

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jubs posted:

I'm shocked that they kept showing slow motion shots of Josh breaking both of his wrists when he started digging.

Whelp, if the "experts" couldn't find it in a one hour show, then it can't be found, my friends.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

hemale in pain posted:

The only people who are qualified to find this treasure is the curse of oak island guys

did they find the treasure

i guess at least that show took less time than this thread

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This was actually pretty good, coulda done without the fake "OMG WE FOUND IT oh wait no" hype, but that's Travel Channel for you.

I think he really was onto something with that lion though...

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Cobalt60 posted:

I actually really want to do that.

Smurf is pretty popular on some other boards under a different name, I'll send him a message and see what he says.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's on now. Not sure if this is first airing, but it might be.

E: Josh actually solved part of the Milwaukee puzzle. Didn't find the treasure, but he got something new. Pretty cool.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 20, 2018

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 9 - Montreal

Being involved in this thread since the treasure was only 31 years old, and having concentrated on Montreal quite a bit, I have something to say. Interestingly, there are some posts I have about Image 9 in this thread I thought were obvious sarcasm. Specifically this post. That information now appears on the pbworks wiki for Image 9 as serious theory. Burnstyle, I can't emphasize this enough, and I said it over at Q4T as well, the podcast does a great service in pointing out that the pbworks wiki is mostly bullshit. It's a good place for some source images, but the "analysis" over there is severely lacking.

Can I ask one question about the last podcast though? The episode 2 discussion casually assumes the Juneau statue is the "iconic city marker" in Milwaukee in order to fit the "direction and turn" theory. Why isn't City Hall the iconic city marker for the Milwaukee image? Am I missing something with that one? I am a big fan of the work you guys are doing through, particularly your perspective. I feel simple is good.

Speaking of simple, what would Preiss do if Palencar gave him an image with a clue he thought was a little too obvious? Apparently you just take a sharpie and block it off, which is the reason I wanted to post the below.

This is news to me. I'm not a part of any of the sooper secret private groups that had access to the below information prior to Fenix posting it over at Q4T, but having spent a lot of time on Image 9, this is big for me. I'll get pretty basic in case someone hasn't been following along since this treasure was only 31 years old:

This is image 9.

This is the "legeater" and "the blob"

These are the lamp post bases at the Mount Stephen Club in Montreal, Quebec.

This is the original painting made by J.J. Palencar:

This is a side by side comparison of Palencar's original painting next to the Image 9 Legeater and Blob

Edit: Was going back through this thread and found this gem that I always liked, given the precedent that both solved casks contained outlines of the states they were found in:

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 20, 2018

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Whoa the fleur de lys (for the geography challenged, take a look at Quebec's flag). Cool. Whats that to the right of the guy blown up?

I took a bunch of mtl pics i posted way back when in the thread since i worked 5 minutes from the legeater.

Why would there be 2 different pictures?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

stab posted:

Whoa the fleur de lys (for the geography challenged, take a look at Quebec's flag). Cool. Whats that to the right of the guy blown up?

That's the artist's signature. J.J.P - John Jude Palencar

quote:

Why would there be 2 different pictures?

I don't know what they explain in the episode of Expedition Unknown where they show this, but Palencar made the original images/paintings for the book. The picture for image 9 was apparently altered before it was put into the published book.

The immediate thing that comes to mind to me is that Preiss felt a Fleur de lys would make the location of Image 9's cask a little too obvious so he covered it up prior to publication. I don't think that necessarily makes "the blob" insignificant, though.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 20, 2018

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Waltzing Along posted:

It's on now. Not sure if this is first airing, but it might be.

E: Josh actually solved part of the Milwaukee puzzle. Didn't find the treasure, but he got something new. Pretty cool.

I'm a poor without real TV. Can you please share any new details about Image 9? Were the details I mentioned above discussed or were they just screenshots captured by Fenix of Q4T? What do you think, George Harrison, of the Beatles?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Working off the theory that a fleur-de-lis would make the puzzle too easy, I googled around for prominent fleur-de-lis.
Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal has a FDL on a cornerstone.

Is that the familiar step pattern from image 9 in the crosswork at the top? Or am I just trying to see things?

Edit: How do I make images show up as a nice thumbnail?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 20, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, here's a 1982 interview with Preiss

Things I found of note:

- Once when hiding, dogs had an uproar
- Once when hiding, he had to hide under a pile of leaves to avoid police
- He says the most expensive jewels will be the hardest to find... gonna work on this one

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Merlot Brougham posted:

I'm a poor without real TV. Can you please share any new details about Image 9? Were the details I mentioned above discussed or were they just screenshots captured by Fenix of Q4T? What do you think, George Harrison, of the Beatles?

You can watch a small version on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6lQCuFPLE

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Is the actual book a good read?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It's in my butt

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Please do the podcast Mr Smurf

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Yeah....but who is John Galt?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

lelandjs posted:

Did Xie tell the thread where he thought the Boston treasure was? He had PM’d me at one point (I wanted to meet up and film him digging) and I don’t remember if what he told me was posted in the thread or not.

He believed it’s buried under one of the lampposts by the Hatch Memorial Shell.

It was pretty obvious from the two years of ball-teasing and delaying he did. Especially when he got upset that someone had dug near a lamppost without permission and was convinced it was someone from this thread.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

The funny part was that a lot of idiots in this thread were talking poo poo about others that were calling Xie an idiot for obviously being a liar.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Piggy Smalls posted:

The funny part was that a lot of idiots in this thread were talking poo poo about others that were calling Xie an idiot for obviously being a liar.

Cmon it’s funny that there’s a bunch of people who bookmark this thread so they can get furious every time it comes back.

Who cares if it’s unrealistic, it’s fun to discuss. I’d rather read a thread full of Xies and Urban Smurfs than rage about an old picture puzzle book.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It was pretty obvious from the two years of ball-teasing and delaying he did. Especially when he got upset that someone had dug near a lamppost without permission and was convinced it was someone from this thread.

Speaking of ball-teasing, I do believe that I still have Xie's entire "Boston solve" that he sent to me. If he's as IN Famous as this thread would like him to be, I would imagine some other people also have Xie's Boston solution. I couldn't have been so special that I was the only one he shared it with.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Merlot Brougham posted:

Speaking of ball-teasing, I do believe that I still have Xie's entire "Boston solve" that he sent to me. If he's as IN Famous as this thread would like him to be, I would imagine some other people also have Xie's Boston solution. I couldn't have been so special that I was the only one he shared it with.

He only gave me a partial but I’ve never suggested any solves or anything in this thread, so he was probably suspicious of me, which is fair. Heck, he probably thinks I’m the person who tried to dig.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Merlot Brougham posted:

I’m all ears errrr eyes. Please post it.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Merlot Brougham posted:

Stop teasing and post it then!! :munch:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 9 - Montreal

Being involved in this thread since the treasure was only 31 years old, and having concentrated on Montreal quite a bit, I have something to say. Interestingly, there are some posts I have about Image 9 in this thread I thought were obvious sarcasm. Specifically this post. That information now appears on the pbworks wiki for Image 9 as serious theory. Burnstyle, I can't emphasize this enough, and I said it over at Q4T as well, the podcast does a great service in pointing out that the pbworks wiki is mostly bullshit. It's a good place for some source images, but the "analysis" over there is severely lacking.

Can I ask one question about the last podcast though? The episode 2 discussion casually assumes the Juneau statue is the "iconic city marker" in Milwaukee in order to fit the "direction and turn" theory. Why isn't City Hall the iconic city marker for the Milwaukee image? Am I missing something with that one? I am a big fan of the work you guys are doing through, particularly your perspective. I feel simple is good.

Speaking of simple, what would Preiss do if Palencar gave him an image with a clue he thought was a little too obvious? Apparently you just take a sharpie and block it off, which is the reason I wanted to post the below.

This is news to me. I'm not a part of any of the sooper secret private groups that had access to the below information prior to Fenix posting it over at Q4T, but having spent a lot of time on Image 9, this is big for me. I'll get pretty basic in case someone hasn't been following along since this treasure was only 31 years old:

This is image 9.

This is the "legeater" and "the blob"

These are the lamp post bases at the Mount Stephen Club in Montreal, Quebec.

This is the original painting made by J.J. Palencar:

This is a side by side comparison of Palencar's original painting next to the Image 9 Legeater and Blob

Edit: Was going back through this thread and found this gem that I always liked, given the precedent that both solved casks contained outlines of the states they were found in:

Given that, I think you can make outlines of the state of Louisiana and also the a of the highways of the city of New Orleans from parts of the hand holding the mask.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Merlot Brougham posted:

I think John might have misspoke. I'm not sure. I would have to listen to it again.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Snowy posted:

This plus an episode complaining about broken wrists and how they’re all destroyed by now and there’s no point. But mostly Urban Smurf. Actually he should just do his own podcast.

I reached out to him and asked.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

solar energy panel posted:

I know where the one in St Augustine is.

Tell us and I'll go dig it up for you.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

burnstyle posted:

I reached out to him and asked.

And with that post, the thread was great once again.

I know it's gauche to ask a magician to reveal his secrets, but I really would love to know, like, "what's the deal with Urban Smurf."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

burnstyle posted:

Tell us and I'll go dig it up for you.

I don't believe you.