Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Not to beat the horse any longer, but Asuron seems mostly right to me. The ants take on human characteristics and inherit human moral sensibilities. Nothing the ants do is anything new under the sun, other than I guess eating their victims. And that's because they're a different species and people are delicious.

Each individual ant showcases different human aspects. The problem, as mentioned in the Netero fight, is that their human tendencies are also combined with their Chimera Ant ancestry, which only seeks to constantly get stronger and expand and devour everything for genetic diversity.

You could make a fair argument that the ants are actually more moral than humans overall because many of them do the 'right' thing despite their natural instincts. It's no coincidence that the ants are taking over countries ruled by despots and shadowy underworld drug dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dark Continent will be Leorio’s time To shine. Believe it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm more inclined to agree that the CA arc was more focused on Survival of the fittest rather than Morality. The situation with the ants gets interesting when you realize that virtually all the ants that did the "right" thing were the ones to completely or partially remember their lives as a human. Aside from the prospective kings who branched out to places like Meteor city, the defectors were the ones who kept their souls. You can make a strong argument that this is a much different thing than Mereum learning the value of lives over a period of time in a more rational way.

Likewise that arc also had a number of humans also resist their instincts or upbringings to do the "right" thing. Killua over-turned his brother's control. Knov kept up his support even after being thoroughly traumatized by Pouf's aura, Shoot kept fighting Youpi despite his own weakness, etc. And their own humanity was also their weakness as Knuckle's kindness kept him from fully incapacitating Youpi, Gon's rage and self loathing led him to become sociopathically driven for revenge, and others.
It's just that in the end humanity's capacity for cruelty was greater than the ants. And I don't think Togashi is indicting humans and glorifying the ants with that reveal. They are still beings that can/will turn at the drop of a hat and go right back to wanting to eradicate humanity rather than seek peaceful co-existence. Pouf and Youpi prove that, should for any reason Mereum die but the rest survive, they will revert to their instincts. Arguably the more "pure" ants would never see humans as something worth living alongside just as much as Humans saw the ants as a threat to be exterminated.

Ultimately, the ants became more complicated after eating humans. But they weren't better than us despite one idealist realizing what he could accomplish in his last moments. But they weren't worse than use either despite their desire to consume us.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
God drat it I can't wait for more about Detective Kurapika! Even though I have him.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I can't wait for Kura to just keel over and die out of nowhere after underestimating how dangerous his restriction is with situations that can come unseen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Things I'd like to see from HxH before I turn 40. Hisoka Vs chrollo round 2 and gins original nen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Leorio is so good.
It's criminal that Kurapika gets all this screen time while the greatest character in all of HxH is abandoned.

The only thing Krapkika has going for him is Miyuki Sawashiro.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's criminal that Kurapika gets all this screen time while the greatest character in all of HxH is abandoned.

It would be hard to shoehorn Razor into the plot at this point.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

The princes all decide to forego the whole Nen-beast thing for a dodgeball tournament instead. Just as all hope seems lost for Kurapica, the true hero appears.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Brought To You By posted:

This guy knows whats up

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The princes all decide to forego the whole Nen-beast thing for a dodgeball tournament instead. Just as all hope seems lost for Kurapica, the true hero appears.

Hisoka?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Jose posted:

Things I'd like to see from HxH before I turn 40. Hisoka Vs chrollo round 2 and gins original nen

I really hope you aren't in your 20's

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think I first watched HxH about 14 years ago, and typing that out is scary af. Couple of months and it will be 20 years since it first published. You gots to be in it for the long haul.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
After so much focus on the god-tier ninja-assassin, the borderline-sociopathic young brawler-boy, and the revenge-fueled tribesman currently playing royal death-game bodyguard, I'm ready for the local trainee doctor who wants to Get Paid.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i think we need to start coming to grips with the ever increasing possibility that this story won't finish. when that happens, i'm going to publish my dark continent fanfic. we leave gon behind, instead focusing on ging and his quest to find his dad. that arc ends on top of a planet tree, where don freecss tells ging he wants to go to space where even more mystery awaits (the darker continent, they'll call it). then we follow the story from don's point of view, as he wonders if his dad is still out there, exploring the local group. it'll end on top of a galactic tree, where don's dad says he wants to go to the darkest continent (the supermassive blackhole in the center). around here i write myself into a corner so i throw a big tournament and end it.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Lpzie posted:

i think we need to start coming to grips with the ever increasing possibility that this story won't finish. when that happens, i'm going to publish my dark continent fanfic. we leave gon behind, instead focusing on ging and his quest to find his dad. that arc ends on top of a planet tree, where don freecss tells ging he wants to go to space where even more mystery awaits (the darker continent, they'll call it). then we follow the story from don's point of view, as he wonders if his dad is still out there, exploring the local group. it'll end on top of a galactic tree, where don's dad says he wants to go to the darkest continent (the supermassive blackhole in the center). around here i write myself into a corner so i throw a big tournament and end it.

Togashi, your story's in good hands

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Lpzie posted:

around here i write myself into a corner so i throw a big tournament and end it.

some kind of, Dark Tournament

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats what I said. If the Ants population and territory grew too much that then the Human Leaders would use stuff like the Rose and other Nukes to wipe them out regardless of the cost of human life. They would have done unprecedented damage but they never would have overtaken Humanity.

I don't think so.

Netero specifically took Meruem to a testing environment to avoid hitting the humans who were sitting outside the palace gates. He hired people like Zeno to remove him from that place.

Human leaders weren't against using something like the Rose, but destruction of the human population on that scale to do it? Doubt it would happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

I don't think so.

Netero specifically took Meruem to a testing environment to avoid hitting the humans who were sitting outside the palace gates. He hired people like Zeno to remove him from that place.

Human leaders weren't against using something like the Rose, but destruction of the human population on that scale to do it? Doubt it would happen.

They had no guarantee Netero would have been able to take Meruem away from the Palace. That Netero was able to bring him away is a good thing as it means no one will get caught in the explosion if he loses. If he was unable to bring Meruem away from the Palace his death would have resulted in the palace and everyone in it being wiped out. (Including the Numerous people that were called over to it. Many of whom sadly died from the Roses poison anyway when Pouf spread his now toxic scales across them.)

The leaders and Netero were willing to sacrifice everyone there if needed to destroy the Ant Threat, they were hoping they would not need to, but it was something they were willing to do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol at the idea that humans killing any quantity of other humans is some enormous taboo that no one could ever break, though

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Lemme tell you something about ants. They were arrogant cunts who wiped out entire villages of people in NGL, and got exterminated for their troubles. IF you got problems with that why dont you join them in the DC

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cheston posted:

some kind of, Dark Tournament

Goddamn.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Chapter 371 spoilers

Togashi hitting the ground running :aaa:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Disharmony posted:

Chapter 371 spoilers

No don't I don't want spoilers yet.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i say this every time theres a new chapter but im still having a hard time believing it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Disharmony posted:

Chapter 371 spoilers

What is going to happen with Momoze?!

Ok, I already suspected something was going to happen, because Togashi said in an interview that this arc was about death/nen after death.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am excited for the return of Bill and Kurapika's Excellent Adventure.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
drat these hiatuses loving blow because i legit forget soooo many characters names and abilities and stuff and then have to frantically catch up on the worst of all sites: manga specific wikias.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Bill is some guy 100% likely to die a gruesome death

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bill's gonna pull through. He's the everyman.

I believe.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe Bill turned out to be a construct made by Leorio

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
All right, so apparently Togashi wasn't a liar and we're getting this ball rolling. Fingers crossed for another Volume's worth of chapters.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Bill's gonna pull through. He's the everyman.

I believe.

either bill or a kurapika will die.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Something I just noticed in the spoilers:

According to the wiki, Hisoka is under 190cm. The most important character over 190cm we have is Leorio. However, I don't remember the Troupe ever meeting him.

:tinfoil:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TurkeyFried posted:

According to the wiki, Hisoka is under 190cm. The most important character over 190cm we have is Leorio. However, I don't remember the Troupe ever meeting him.

Oh ,good one. It could be a way to mix Leorio into that mess. Leorio could be on the lower decks healing people.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 24, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

Leorio was part of the whole Troupe thing in York New but I don't know how much of him they saw.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

If anybody needs to get caught up, Viz posted a thing: https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/welcome-to-hunter-x-hunter

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Leorio was part of the whole Troupe thing in York New but I don't know how much of him they saw.

He was a distraction in the hotel, right before Chrollo was captured. Otherwise I don't think they interacted with him at all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

either bill or a kurapika will die.
I'll miss you, Kurapika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i will miss both of them, when the series goes on hiatus again