Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen a bunch of videos like this out of China. Person who is most likely already a touch mentally ill is wronged in some way and when they don't get what they want they throw a tantrum and climb up a utility pole. A crowd gathers around the base gawking to see if they'll jump or get shocked. They'll rant and rave to the audience about what ever has wronged them as a way shaming who ever "drove" them to do this. Sometimes they're actually suicidal/unstable, sometimes it's just a cry for attention and a soap box to air their stresses and grievances.

The true OSHA is not having a proper mental health system and a massive stigma against any forms of mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
The utility poles need electric fences to prevent unauthorized access.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rotacixe posted:

The utility poles need electric fences to prevent unauthorized access.

It happens a lot.

A worker reportedly told Fox 2 he found the bodies just after 6:30 a.m. when he went to the substation to investigate a power outage. The pair are suspected of breaking in the front door of the substation, and, according to Fox 2, they were in the process of stealing copper wiring when they were electrocuted.

Police confirmed to the news organization that two men pried open the front door of a Public Lighting substation, and once inside made contact with 24,000 volts of electricity.

According to the police, the electricity caused their bodies to be fused together, and they were pronounced dead at the scene.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/31/2-fatally-electrocuted-in-alleged-attempt-to-steal-copper-wiring/

With the opiate epidemic in full swing, anything not nailed down/welded/etc., gets grabbed.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

tactlessbastard posted:

Nose, he was already Asian

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

It happens a lot.

A worker reportedly told Fox 2 he found the bodies just after 6:30 a.m. when he went to the substation to investigate a power outage. The pair are suspected of breaking in the front door of the substation, and, according to Fox 2, they were in the process of stealing copper wiring when they were electrocuted.

Police confirmed to the news organization that two men pried open the front door of a Public Lighting substation, and once inside made contact with 24,000 volts of electricity.

According to the police, the electricity caused their bodies to be fused together, and they were pronounced dead at the scene.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/31/2-fatally-electrocuted-in-alleged-attempt-to-steal-copper-wiring/

With the opiate epidemic in full swing, anything not nailed down/welded/etc., gets grabbed.

It's been going on for ages. Here's a story from 2011 when thieves basically ruined a Youth Football League.

https://patch.com/california/dixon/stolen-copper-wire-could-leave-dixon-youth-football-in-the-dark

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lime Tonics posted:

According to the police, the electricity caused their bodies to be fused together
:stonk:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Together forever and never to part
Together forever we two
And don't you know
I would steal copper wiring
To be together forever with you

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lime Tonics posted:

It happens a lot.

We are become one!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mozi posted:

Together forever and never to part
Together forever we two
And don't you know
I would steal copper wiring
To be together forever with you

Wow. The rarely seen Alternate RickRoll

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Applesnots posted:

I have a feeling there might be some people in that corn.

No deaths or injuries.

Telephone and power poles down and a road blocked by 10,000 tons of corn.

It has been funny to hear them talk about the road being closed for corn removal on the morning traffic report the last two days.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Proteus Jones posted:

i was gonna go the Aretha route

forever and ever we never will part and how I love you
Together forever after we break in, to live without you

if only we'd worn P P EEEEEE

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Emphasis on Alternate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rotacixe posted:

Emphasis on Alternate

Alternating?

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always thought it would be cool to make a house or office on top of those huge concrete silos.

In Oslo there's an old grain silo that was converted into 226 units of student housing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/AENwofe.mp4

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

wow

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I don't know why but I love runaway anchor videos

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Is that a boat anchor dropping really fast or did Jaws (or another boat) snag on it and go full throttle?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tyson Tomko posted:

Is that a boat anchor dropping really fast or did Jaws (or another boat) snag on it and go full throttle?

Brake failure probably, and once that chain weight gets on there, there is no stopping it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Brake failure probably, and once that chain weight gets on there, there is no stopping it.

Yep. Chain doesn't dangle very well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

It's been going on for ages. Here's a story from 2011 when thieves basically ruined a Youth Football League.

https://patch.com/california/dixon/stolen-copper-wire-could-leave-dixon-youth-football-in-the-dark

On one hand, sure that sucks but on the other hand it stopped people from playing football so I think overall this was a positive.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There were a few of these posted last year. If I recall, this can be caused by a pure equipment failure or by the operator neglecting to control the speed causing it to run out of control. There's a terrifying video of this sort of thing in a navy ship.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grandma Panic! posted:

New WorksafeBC vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GYL95FL3c
thanks to this thread i now have a healthy fear of confined spaces

(fakeedit: also ty Three-Phase I've learned a lot about the chained demon that is electricity from you).

I'm glad all the converted shipping containers at my workplace (that I've seen) have added ventilation systems. I guess it's mostly so people don't suffocate in them in case they get locked in but even though there shouldn't be any gasoline or other kind of fuel whatsoever in any of them, that's not to say there isn't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think the worst Confined Space death I can think of was either the guy who died in a ships engine or the guy who died from lack of oxygen due to rust in an anchor chain storage

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Lack of oxygen is probably a pretty painless way to go, you're unconscious before you know what hit you. The guy getting cooked in the giant tuna pressure cooker on the other hand, probably had some time to freak out as the temperature slowly rose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pokey Araya posted:

Lack of oxygen is probably a pretty painless way to go, you're unconscious before you know what hit you. The guy getting cooked in the giant tuna pressure cooker on the other hand, probably had some time to freak out as the temperature slowly rose.

:stare: Oh god I forgot about that one.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

One of the worst ones is the lady who starved to death in her flats lift because the builders shut it down without checking if anyone was in there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That anchor chain is much better with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYLirV3nzc

Pretty sure this is played in Hell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

That anchor chain is much better with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYLirV3nzc

Pretty sure this is played in Hell.

Something came off the brake drum right when it started to run away, what was that?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Meanwhile in Buffalo:

We turned our silos into a six-pack of tallboys.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Something came off the brake drum right when it started to run away, what was that?

Probably the actual brake shoe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Probably the actual brake shoe.

Brake is dead, shoe came off?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Around 10 years ago I was leaving Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando (an event infamous for the amount of alcohol typically consumed and resulting drunken antics/violence by guests), and on the top floor of the parking garage a very small hatchback had wedged itself in one of the stairwells. I guess the driver mistook it for the ramp down to the next level.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

glynnenstein posted:

There were a few of these posted last year. If I recall, this can be caused by a pure equipment failure or by the operator neglecting to control the speed causing it to run out of control. There's a terrifying video of this sort of thing in a navy ship.

USS Tarawa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg&t=264s

CommieGIR posted:

I think the worst Confined Space death I can think of was either the guy who died in a ships engine or the guy who died from lack of oxygen due to rust in an anchor chain storage

The Case of the Rusty Assassin: three men died in a chain locker from lack of oxygen.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

chitoryu12 posted:

Around 10 years ago I was leaving Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando (an event infamous for the amount of alcohol typically consumed and resulting drunken antics/violence by guests), and on the top floor of the parking garage a very small hatchback had wedged itself in one of the stairwells. I guess the driver mistook it for the ramp down to the next level.

About five months after I bought my Focus, my wife and I made plans to move to nearby city. On the fourth of July, I drove to a uHaul shop to buy some supplies and set up a truck rental for that coming weekend. The owner of the store was throwing a small BBQ in the front lawn for his employees and whichever customer happened by that afternoon. I bought my boxes and tape, said hello to the owner, passed on a hotdog, got in my car, and proceeded to back up over an overgrown concrete berm. I high-centered my newish car with a pretty sickening crunch that, now 11 years later, still marks the undercarriage. I got out and walked around my car to see that the berm drops off a good 5-6 feet down an embankment, so at least I stopped and didn't plummet to my total destruction. I walked up to the BBQ and asked the owner of the store, like an idiot, if his guys can help me lift my stupid fkn car so I can leave. His crew helped lift, I got my car to solid ground, and drove away.

He still rented me the uHaul truck two days later.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

chitoryu12 posted:

Brake is dead, shoe came off?

:golfclap:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

tactlessbastard posted:

No, he was already Asian

What

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1pFU6jCPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
He was warned. He was given an explanation. Nevertheless, he persisted.