Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ok? You alright there buddy?

Typical Pubbie posted:

"An early life of crime led me to become a super villain." Read Strong Female Protagonist, the fresh new take on cape comics!
We've long since established that Mulligan can't write anything that is morally gray. If that was even the intention of this flashback which I doubt.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Patrick sought to rally the downtrodden to overturn the unjust status quo because he was childish and criminally inclined.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Behind the forbidden door is Patrick's real memories of stabbing mommy 500 times, this past couple pages of bland lame bullshit are what he constructed to replace them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This is probably a stupid question, but is that Rat?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

It certainly is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

loving hell the art has gotten bad.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Man, that whole bit with Rat gets worse each time I read it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bobby Hill

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize that. In part because I forgot he existed in the first place but god drat is that ever a change for the worse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Emrikol posted:

It certainly is.

God drat that's sad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I thought it was some kind of sheep-themed villain

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

I thought it was some kind of sheep-themed villain

?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

An XKCD joke made even worse.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Which, the power rangers thing, or the bad looking rat man?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Can we read that webcomics instead?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PoptartsNinja posted:

Man that is not a design that benefits from being in color.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The ears are wrong to the original design too, rat's ears pointed up originally, in the old frame posted he's jumping upwards. Artist doesn't give a gently caress anymore enough to even look at older character designs beyond a glance.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Also you see an example of a technique being used effectively and then becoming meaningless rote. In the old design the little lines on the nose suggest the nose's shape and depth. In the new one they're just there because "this character design has lines on his nose." I know it's nitpicking to judge that from just one reappearance of the character but that's what I see.

The worst is the eyes though, the other characters seem to have kept their original eye designs but rat doesn't even look like a rat anymore, keeping the tiny eyes would have helped somehwat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Why is the scientific fact that there's only one Olson moving back and forth really fast being treated like a conspiracy?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I WILL say for the artist

At least she didn't give the knife guy stupid eyebrows again. She remembered he didn't have those!

Man I wonder what he's up to

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Why is the scientific fact that there's only one Olson moving back and forth really fast being treated like a conspiracy?

It's a running gag from John Oliver.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

well that just sucked all the fun out of the joke

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Again, I don't see how Mr. Oliver reporting on a very real and true fact is a "gag".

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The most tantalizing bit of worldbuilding in this comic is how half of the world's population are chameleonfolk capable of 360° vision and nobody in-universe ever remarks on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

John Oliver isn't a comedian, that's no joke

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In Which A Small Child Talks About How Bad He Wanted To gently caress The Strong Female Protagonist

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I despised you instantly, but oh my stars, THAT OUTFIT :kiddo:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So is Patrick implying that once the helmet came off, Allison's heart throbbed or something?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had to get a lot of backrubs after that initial confrontation if you know what I mean.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think they might actually bring up the connection between Patrick's abusive mother and Alison as an abusive girlfriend. The implementation of that is loving awful and the implications would be off, of course, but it would at the very least be an interesting idea.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Strong Female Protagonist: a comic wherein said protagonist hesitates upon apprehending the villain, because omg he's kind of cute!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Why did he take his helmet off? They couldn't add another panel to show Allison forcing it off, or threatening him if he didn't take it off?

This is Exposition: The Comic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd read a comic about a superhero and supervillain steadily falling in love in between fighting and animosity until they both convince the other to quit and go focus their skills on making the world a better place.

You know, instead of halfassing a degree, sermoning on killing rapists, and settling down with whoever has the biggest dad.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I want to point out that for all the grief people give Clevin, the entire time he has not been in this comic has been almost unbearable. Like, comparing this page with what was going on even a few months ago is pretty startling. Revealing the reason that they were attracted to each other is the lamest "love at first sight" or at the very least: "Wow this is a powerful woman just like my mom in a short skirt :haw:"

Instead of you know, him barging in to her perfect life and her being rightfully pissed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

pospysyl posted:

I think they might actually bring up the connection between Patrick's abusive mother and Alison as an abusive girlfriend. The implementation of that is loving awful and the implications would be off, of course, but it would at the very least be an interesting idea.

Nothing like that is going to happen between good (?) guys because every relationship in this comic is cutesy shipper garbage.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"Omg my outfit looked silly!" said the devolving blob of squiggles

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Axe-man posted:

I want to point out that for all the grief people give Clevin, the entire time he has not been in this comic has been almost unbearable.
every other character should be going "Where's Clevin?"

edit: oh my god the collar on the loving cape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sure, the comic's been garbage while he was gone, but at least it's trying (and failing) at doing interesting ideas, whereas during the Clevintimes, it's just so incredibly boring that looking at the comic can send me into a coma.

• Locked thread