Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Harrow posted:

So with hunting horn, is it better to queue up multiple songs and play/encore them all at once, or play/encore one song at a time so you can do those sweet R2 attacks more often?

I'd guess the answer is "play all your songs at once and then do regular combos until you need to refresh" but I'm not sure.

Get out buffs asap, then smack poo poo til any 3 songs are queued and attack.

If theres a knockdown its probably best to just play whatevers queued even it its not optimal to get that sweet hit in and not miss your opportunity.

Also. you can dodge to cancel out. So after you do your bash into encore cancel if you aren't worried about the buffs. That start of the encore is where the big hits are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Playing them all at once is a massive time saver and it also does an enormous amount of damage, but you aren't always in a position to be able to do so. Sometimes you have to make a quick tune and then reposition. As mentioned previously, you are very immobile & vulnerable when setting up for a triple encore.

Oh, do the recitals/encores do more damage when you're playing more songs?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

Oh, do the recitals/encores do more damage when you're playing more songs?

It seems like it but it might just be more time waddling into optimal position (the skull) to didgeridoo into. Not 100% 3 note does more then the 2 note self improvement. Nnot sure about multiple songs, need testing.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ross Perowned posted:

I really hope Gore Magala comes back as DLC or something, because he has my favorite DB set out of the entire series.

Nergigante is using his skeleton so we'll probably see him.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

They’re absolutely going to put Darth Toothless in this. I want a grim reaper cat, drat it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sparkle status effect gonna kill me a lot :(

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02sXsgF4uw

This is a guy who is doing multiple tunes on the HH at a time, note how each song on his playlist flashes one after the other to signal their readiness for the second R2 encore.

The very first time he plays the horn at the start of the fighting, he queues up three songs - they flash in turn to signify they have been played - but he then moves quickly without doing an encore because nergy was about to merk him. The songs that were played are displayed in green (Small buff) writing on the upper right of the screen to reflect that they've been played but without an encore which would have made them purple (large buff).

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02sXsgF4uw

This is a guy who is doing multiple tunes on the HH at a time, note how each song on his playlist flashes one after the other to signal their readiness for the second R2 encore.

Ah yeah, I knew you could encore at any point during the recital to encore the songs you've played. I noticed he queues up multiple songs but then plays and encores them one at a time, though I suspect that's just because he can't afford to stand around that long.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
If you do nothing else today, please, PLEASE look at this image. This is incredibly important:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AttackBacon posted:

If you do nothing else today, please, PLEASE look at this image. This is incredibly important:

oh my god, its like a little goblin :3:

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Nergigante is using his skeleton so we'll probably see him.

It took me a bit to figure out that you meant his design and not, like, Nergigante pulling out Gore's actual skeleton out from the Rotten Vale and swinging around at you or wearing it or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OMG

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Another really important thing about hunting horn is that notes from a previous song will count towards the next one, so if you do self improvement (white white) you only have to do two red notes to get the attack buff song (white red red) and if you want to take it further you could then do the healing song (red blue white) by just inputting blue white, so instead of taking 8 notes to do all those songs it only takes 6.

It's probably not that big of a deal but I really like this mechanic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Judging by the amount of Monster Bone M's I have I can declare that many monsters share the same skeleton.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zoig posted:

Another really important thing about hunting horn is that notes from a previous song will count towards the next one, so if you do self improvement (white white) you only have to do two red notes to get the attack buff song (white red red) and if you want to take it further you could then do the healing song (red blue white) by just inputting blue white, so instead of taking 8 notes to do all those songs it only takes 6.

It's probably not that big of a deal but I really like this mechanic.

Yeah, that will be awesome and while horn dependent you can learn that 5-8 note combo and go to town.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The real reason Nakarkos was such a threat is because he shares everyone's skeletons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

My Pal is going to have them claws and the puffy bat hat. drat the stats.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Emron posted:

HH seems cool but it also seems like wasted potential if you’re not in a group? I’m probably totally wrong on that.

i've done nothing but hunting horn since 3u and it owns even when you're solo. every horn comes with guaranteed faster unsheathed movement speed and deflected attack negation, and poo poo like up to 20% increased offense/defense, wind and roar immunity, unlimited stamina etc is extremely good, and cool. the fact that it works for everyone in multi is just a bonus

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Unlimited stamina + buddy Switch Axe Wild Swing is disgusting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Squidtentacle posted:

The real reason Nakarkos was such a threat is because he shares everyone's skeletons.

Maybe the real skeletons were inside of him all along?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The hunting horn changes made it so you don't move around during recitals and have a higher DPS when using them as much as possible compared to the standard HH combos. They're a lot faster and you can cancel out of them way earlier than before. Recitals have never been this strong and safe. In this game, your DPS will rely on how much you can pull off recital hits on monsters.

Ciaphas posted:

The initial self improvement gives you a huge movespeed boost while unsheathed, I think enough that you move at full non-sprinting sheathed speed

The encore prevents bouncing (damage is still reduced and sharpness is still deducted, but you don't stagger) which is loving brilliant against e.g. Barroth

I think damage is not reduced with ESP, you just lose sharpness faster.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Once you have three songs on the list, press R2 and just wait :sax:. Each song on the list will flash in turn to show that it's been 'loaded' into the horn. Once all three songs have flashed, press R2 again to unleash all three melodies at once.

This is risky and opens you up to attack and makes you very vulnerable so make sure the monster isn't going to hit you anytime soon.

I think you can roll out of the encore at any moment after the first song effect activates. You just won't get all 3 effects.

absolutely anything posted:

i've done nothing but hunting horn since 3u and it owns even when you're solo. every horn comes with guaranteed faster unsheathed movement speed and deflected attack negation, and poo poo like up to 20% increased offense/defense, wind and roar immunity, unlimited stamina etc is extremely good, and cool. the fact that it works for everyone in multi is just a bonus

People say that hunting horn is not optimal solo mostly because people care way too much about ~clear times~. Hunting horn is my go-to weapon to rush to G-rank because you can use it in lieu of a ton of items, so less item management to care about. It is really fun to go to a quest with zero healing items and rely only on your hunting horn for healing. Makes things a lot more interesting.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
bring back brachydios you cowards

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am so upset this isn't on PC until Autumn my roommate has a ps4 should I just buy it twice?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You know the answer to that. In your heart.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The PC port will be bad, probably.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll be strong.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zore posted:

The PC port will be bad, probably.

capcom does good pc ports

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

capcom does good pc ports

Throw in free rootkits and everything

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Throw in free rootkits and everything

capcom does good pc ports with one very notable exception

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dragon enthusiast posted:

bring back brachydios you cowards

I forgot how much Guildmarm loves Brachy :3:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster Hunter world releases with a cryptocurrency miner except it's an altcoin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's where we are so far on the "If you could only use one Monster Hunter World weapon, which would you pick?" poll:

Look at all that hunting horn love :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lbg is so low :smith:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Ciaphas posted:

lbg is so low :smith:

I'm sorry, it's my number 2...

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Huxley posted:

The Hammer guy almost never does the standard charge-stop-attack, but I think is doing one of the moves that leads out of moving while releasing then following up with triangle?

Going back a couple pages, but what you are seeing there is the "brutal" version of the level 3 charge slam. Like I mentioned earlier if you use the hammer self-buff it changes your moves. It adds a flourish to the charge slam that makes you spin before you hit, and also adds a little hop to the level 2 charge uppercut.

From what I saw of the hammer speed run, it looks like the only thing that changed from the old 3 hit golf swing into charge level 1 into 3 hit golf swing is he would throw in a big bang at times. Maybe big bang gives more KO?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hypha posted:

I'm sorry, it's my number 2...

Yeah, I kinda wish I could make a ranked choice poll where you can pick your top three weapons and rank them in order, then we could see how many people ranked each weapon first, second, or third. That'd probably do a better job showing how popular each weapon actually is.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So how would one go about entering a coma until autumn

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BMan posted:

Play mhw this Friday until you approach death

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BMan posted:

You purchase a PS4 and when you get home. BAM. Autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I kinda wish I could make a ranked choice poll where you can pick your top three weapons and rank them in order, then we could see how many people ranked each weapon first, second, or third. That'd probably do a better job showing how popular each weapon actually is.

Just make 2 more polls and trust people to not be dumb about it? I would do it but i'm incredibly lazy.