Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

Is it even in continuity? It feels like just an artist showcase project.

Are most streamline attempts actually canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are most streamline attempts actually canon.

They usually begin that way. Man of Steel, Superman Birthright and Spider-man Chapter One for example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Canon is almost a meaningless term at this point in regards to big 2 comics

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Canon has never meant anything to the big two companies. Remember, Marvel used to give you the No Prize for finding continuity errors.

I found out Jason Aaron worked on the X-Men. I really like his work on Thor. How is Wolverine and the X-Men?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wolverine and the X-Men is the silliest mainstream book he's done, and it's great. It's nothing like Thor, but if you like the X-Men when they're not super dramatic, it's really fun.

One thing I really liked about Grand Design, was that the small press indie feel really works with a book as weird as the X-Men. It has a similar feel to GI Joe/Transformers. It covers a lot of ground, and is a great way to learn about X-Men lore, much better than Wikipedia or whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I literally just read Grand Design and its great. I like this condensed verison of the X-men history, and the artists interpretations of characters is neat.

Wolverine and the X-men Vol 1 is amazing, Vol 2 wishes he could be half as good. Like its not bad, its just not as good as the first volume. The thing I love most about it is that Wolverine and the X-men sounds like it should be a balls to the wall action comic, when its almost a wacky high school comedy/drama.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wolverine and the X-Men is uneven. When it's good, it's great. When it's not, it's that circus arc, or stuck in Battle of the Atom. It's definitely not like Thor at all if that's what you're going for.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Didn't anyone archive the twitters from that era, of ever find out who was writing them?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I guess? Just trying to say that this two issue project that had no major hype from Marvel (seriously, not even a single push from their marketing to get retailers to carry it) is the new X-Men history kind of feels silly.

It's a 6 issue project. 3 volumes of 2 issues each. Next one is due out later this year.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Covok posted:

I found out Jason Aaron worked on the X-Men. I really like his work on Thor. How is Wolverine and the X-Men?
Wolverine and the X-men is the most fun X-men has been since Whedon's run. It really taps into the kind of wacky action + high school drama that the X-men had when they were going full steam back in the 80's.

It made me actually like Quentin Quire, for loving once.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I'd be into Grand Design more if it wasn't currently focusing on the portion of X-Men history that I care the least about. v:v:v

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I reread Wolverine and the X-men recently and by far the worst parts were when it had to tie into events. Totally broke the flow of the comic. I guess a lot of series have that problem, but it's really jarring when you're in the middle of an arc and then the next issue is missing half the cast and everyone's doing something completely different.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I disliked Battle of the Atom, but the circus arc was even worse.

The rest of Wolverine and the X-Men is really good though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The circus arc's problem was that it was about twice as long as it needed to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sooooo how's Legion back after wiping himself from existence?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Existence was wiped and recreated since then.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

He got a TV show.

More seriously, it's not explained. Maybe it'll be spelled out in-story, but until then, go with Aphrodite's explanation that it's some kind of Secret Wars fallout, that works pretty well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm. Between Resurrection and Jean Grey I guess the Phoenix is gonna cry off broken hearted for few thousand years now then. Christ knows what’s going to happen with the two of them next but if I had to choose, I’d prefer Young Jean stuck around, she’s got moxie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I looked at next week's releases now that they're up on Preview's website. X-Men Red comes out a week from today. Has the author of Red done anything well received yet?

I only read Astonishing and that Gambit/Rogue mini, so it's not like I really need to buy every title that comes out X-Men related.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All New Wolverine. That's enough for me to give X-Men: Red a shot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tom Taylor? Yes, his Injustice stuff is good.

I haven't read them myself but All New Wolverine and Superior Iron Man both looked well liked too.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IUG posted:

I looked at next week's releases now that they're up on Preview's website. X-Men Red comes out a week from today. Has the author of Red done anything well received yet?

All-New Wolverine was written by the same author and it's mega good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Open Marriage Night posted:

All New Wolverine. That's enough for me to give X-Men: Red a shot.

Here's hoping Johnathan the Actual Wolverine is going to be in X-Men: Red.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, alright. I guess I'll pick up the first issue at least. I did a search on that title, and the synopsis on one of the sites was literally "According to a Marvel press release, the series will feature new uniforms, a new team headquarters, new characters, and a surprise villain." Which is like saying "this X-Men comic will be sold in paper form!".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Really liked that last issue of Phoenix Resurrection but it also feels like the previous four were totally pointless. It could have just been a one-shot, basically.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What happened?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Phoenix should just bring Scott back and have him be the new host.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Logan walks into Jean's "diner" and, after a really token attempt to get through to Jean, shanks Annie. It turns out to have been the right move, as it shocks Jean into realizing who she is. "Annie" and every other inhabitant of the town is an illusion, as the Phoenix Force is trying to tempt Jean into another stint as its host by showing her what she can have if she agrees. Jean rejects it outright, on the basis that the Phoenix is trying to offer her a life without pain or loss, but that's basically what life is in the first place.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There's also a scene where the Phoenix resurrects the real Scott and lets Jean have a conversation with him to show her what she could have if she lets the Phoenix back into her. This however just strengthens her resolve to reject it, although she appreciated the chance to see Scott again.

This is...sigh. I kinda saw this coming. I'm one of the apparent minority, however vocal, that prefers the Phoenix as an aspect and expression of Jean herself, which is what every single actually good Phoenix story has always been about, as opposed to the Phoenix just being a crazy evil possessive force, which is the hallmark of every single bad Phoenix story bar none. But I guess the majority of readers just can't stand the Phoenix anymore and so we end up with this whole thing that just emphatically drones on about how this is not Jean and has never been and how she's better off without it and blah de blah.

I love that there's even a scene where the Phoenix shows Jean a vision of herself during her Morrison years and says that "we can become your best self," so it's like, even the writers seem perfectly aware that the best and most optimum Jean Grey was when she was fully adjusted to the Phoenix, but then we can't have that because "that's not meee! that's not how things are supposed to wooork" or whatever.

I will say that I liked the moment where the Phoenix gets smaller and smaller and Jean continues to talk it into letting her go, until it's just kinda sitting in the palm of her hands as this small, sad bird. That gave me a feelings. :3:

So anyway let's see how long this will last considering that literally every single time they've gone "The Phoenix is gone now! For realsies this time! Jean is absolutely never ever going to be Phoenix again!1!" they eventually just walk back on it anyway 'cuz *~comics~* and also there's in fact a major movie called "Dark Phoenix" coming out this year soo

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I love that there's even a scene where the Phoenix shows Jean a vision of herself during her Morrison years and says that "we can become your best self," so it's like, even the writers seem perfectly aware that the best and most optimum Jean Grey was when she was fully adjusted to the Phoenix, but then we can't have that because "that's not meee! that's not how things are supposed to wooork" or whatever.

This honestly felt like rubbing salt in the wound. Like you said, acknowledging the best of Jean but going, ehh we're not gonna go with this interpretation cause uh, reasons.

Still super excited for X-Men Red though. Jean Grey 11 was a fun little story though, and I am bummed its ending but its whole purpose was the phoenix buildup and it did that job well.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 1, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Charitably, you could say that living in the past-- even if they were your best years, perhaps especially so-- is not really living either, and perhaps that's part of the message too. If you always perceive your best days as behind you, well, you're probably going to fulfill that prophecy.

But maybe you're not feeling charitable. I know I wasn't; that definitely didn't need to take five issues.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 1, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I agree there was something interesting to be said here about needing to let go of things that don't work anymore, which is why the parts where Jean had a genuine heartfelt conversation with the Phoenix about those things was quite effective. I didn't hate this interpretation of the Phoenix as something of a needy ex who, nonetheless, genuinely cares about Jean and wants to protect her from all the lovely things in life in really superficial ways. And it was genuinely hard for Jean to let go of the Phoenix as well, hence that final page.

But there's a certain level of self-unaware irony in a story that preaches about how important it is to let go of the past when it is literally, as it speaks, trying to bring a dead comic book character back to life.

And honestly, "bad things should happen in life because that's just life!" is not...all that much less shallow of a mindset, either. In practice, the whole message about needing to let go in order to move forward comes across more like, okay, here's all this amazing helpful stuff that you could do if you had this power, but you're not gonna do it because...that's not you? What? I guess that'll be a great comfort to all the people who you could've saved with this power but didn't? I'm sure you'll be real glad you stuck to your...principles, I suppose?...the next time an Eternal or two comes trying to pimpslap the planet and you don't have Phoenix powers at your disposal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Phoenix Force is such a dick.

yeah let's just leave Scott's rotting corpse there

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was actually super pissed while reading this because I thought they were gonna bring Scotty back and we could finally start his redemption process and instead it's just corpse town.

Why can't we ever get Jean and Scott together anymore? I'm almost sure when they resurrect him she'll be dead again.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I was actually super pissed while reading this because I thought they were gonna bring Scotty back and we could finally start his redemption process and instead it's just corpse town.

Why can't we ever get Jean and Scott together anymore? I'm almost sure when they resurrect him she'll be dead again.

I don't know. It's really loving annoying.

I keep on holding out hope that there is some sort of time merger with the time-displaced X-Men where they still end up back where they belong to fix time, but then they're duplicated or some poo poo and merged with their current versions...giving us the original X-Men back, but still with the character growth the kids went through.

I'm probably not being very clear on any of this because I am doped up on medicine and coffee at work right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

To be fair that's the ultimate dick move to the woman who stole her husband.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm confused about comic book collecting in TYOOL 2018. Are people really paying $4 a pop for titles that come out on a bi-weekly basis and don't progress a story until 5 issues in? Like, I've been spending a bunch collecting older comics, and I want to show my support and got Marvel Legacy #1, but now I'm just waiting for Wolverine to come back. When they do finally start some storyline of him coming back (I am not counting those one-page "Where's {SuperHero}?" pages) is it going to cost like $50 just to find out in the last issue how he got that infinity stone?

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

davebo posted:

I'm confused about comic book collecting in TYOOL 2018. Are people really paying $4 a pop for titles that come out on a bi-weekly basis and don't progress a story until 5 issues in? Like, I've been spending a bunch collecting older comics, and I want to show my support and got Marvel Legacy #1, but now I'm just waiting for Wolverine to come back. When they do finally start some storyline of him coming back (I am not counting those one-page "Where's {SuperHero}?" pages) is it going to cost like $50 just to find out in the last issue how he got that infinity stone?

Yes.

Alternatively, you can just wait for the trades. That also makes the stories read better since everything is so decompressed these days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, if you're only concerned about Wolverine, then yeah, you're probably not going to get your money's worth buying $4 comics for two page backup nonstories, but the ones they're contained in (or at least the ones I've read) have been good comics on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished Phoenix Resurrection or whatever the gently caress it's called.

It was booty. The fact that Scott gets resurrected and they have a moment only for him to die and Jean is kneeling next to his corpse? gently caress you Marvel!!!! :doom: