Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I just love how we are supposed to be some kind of loving hard counter to Russia all the time. If they are SUCH a threat to Europe, surely the countries there will be building up their forces in anticipation. Until they do, why the gently caress are we supposed to go half cocked on some vague threat wasting billions of dollars?

I am sorry, I forgot that I live in the US where military spending and stupid imperial adventures are the only thing the country is capable of doing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Again, Russia's ability to occupy and pacify Ukraine and/or Georgia is pretty limited, which why they've focused exclusively on breakaway or restive pro-Moscow regions. Where else do you think they would invade beyond those two countries? Do you actually think they'd invade a NATO country, for example?

\/\/\/exactly\/\/\/

I do not think Russia would try to do anything to an existing nato country. He will continue to try and annex his neighbors that are not current NATO members. Hence the rush of states to join NATO. I can't just pick a place and say that Russia will invade here, but it is pretty clear from their history that if they are given an opportunity to do so, they will. The trick is going to be not giving them an opportunity. I agree that they were given the opportunity to invade Crimea due to the US's and NATO not following a good strategy in regards to ukraine.

self unaware posted:

The question of how to contain Russia's recent imperialism does not have an easy answer and "just put more boots on the ground" is not going to stop Putin from being an authoritarian. What you really need to ask yourself is would life be better for the average Crimean/East Ukrainian if the US/NATO had attempted to stop Russia from annexing both territories via the use of military force? That's a hard argument to make, but I'm open to hearing it.

As much as i don't like it, i agree with you. I am not sure NATO forces would have improved anyone's life in the affected areas. However, going forward we must not allow countries that wish to be a part of NATO to be prevented from doing so by threat of Russian invasion.

Gaghskull posted:

It would sure as hell be a lot better for the Crimean Tartars if NATO had done anything. From the Human Rights Watch as of November.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/11/14/crimea-persecution-crimean-tatars-intensifies

This was something i was not aware of. Thank you for sharing.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gaghskull posted:

It would sure as hell be a lot better for the Crimean Tartars if NATO had done anything. From the Human Rights Watch as of November.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/11/14/crimea-persecution-crimean-tatars-intensifies

I'm not so sure of that. If the U.S. had intervened and the region devolved into a full-on proxy war, the Russians still probably would have occupied a lot of the same area, and their treatment of the civilians probably wouldn't have been any less draconian.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I do not think Russia would try to do anything to an existing nato country. He will continue to try and annex his neighbors that are not current NATO members. Hence the rush of states to join NATO. I can't just pick a place and say that Russia will invade here, but it is pretty clear from their history that if they are given an opportunity to do so, they will.

Well, that pretty much means Ukraine and Georgia, though. Moscow's not interested in Finland, Belarus is already a puppet state, the Baltics are NATO, and Central Asia has largely staked out a position of benign neutrality towards Russia. The Kremlin can only invade and occupy those regions that it has the capabilities to do so, and at this point they're already stretching their limits. There's not much of an incentive to try to reabsorb all of Ukraine, even if Putin were able to do so. It's much cheaper and more effective to make them a puppet state again. Trying to reabsorb Georgia would be even more of a logistical nightmare for them.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Gaghskull posted:

I don't think bombing them will help

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gaghskull posted:

The last time NATO intervened in an Eastern European country to protect an ethnic minority from government oppression, it was an unmitigated disaster.

I don't think we should do nothing about Putin but I don't think direct military action was a reasonable response given the situation in 2014, and our covert military options were and are relatively limited.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ok stepping away from dry foreign policy chat for a second, this article is actually soul crushing to read.

We're pretty much hosed.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

"We must act immediately to protect the human rights of persecuted minority groups!"

*levels entire country*

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Here's a good read if you're interested in current Russian lit regarding IR. This book is big with the military and political elite over there. If you look at the quick rundown in the wikipedia article you might even see some things that look really familiar :ssh:

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok stepping away from dry foreign policy chat for a second, this article is actually soul crushing to read.

We're pretty much hosed.

Hey, foreign policy is amazing how dare u :mad:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grapplejack posted:

Hey, foreign policy is amazing how dare u :mad:

I actually find foreign policy more interesting than domestic policy but I think the whole Putin/Ukraine thing is kind of dull.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Here's a good read if you're interested in current Russian lit regarding IR. This book is big with the military and political elite over there. If you look at the quick rundown in the wikipedia article you might even see some things that look really familiar :ssh:

From what I've read Putin & co consider Dugin a goddamn crank, so you should maybe be a bit less credulous here.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah, there's not much to it. losing sevastopol was viewed by the russians as an existential threat, they totes-not-invaded eastern ukraine to secure it, and nobody was or is willing to start world war three over the russians maintaining access to sevastopol.

there is only so much saber rattling you can do at a guy who controls your light switch.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Lightning Knight posted:

We're pretty much hosed.

“If you’re disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself,” Obama implored. "And the Democrats will be there every step of the way, fighting you for every inch" he added.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

yeah, there's not much to it. losing sevastopol was viewed by the russians as an existential threat, they totes-not-invaded eastern ukraine to secure it, and nobody was or is willing to start world war three over the russians maintaining access to sevastopol.

there is only so much saber rattling you can do at a guy who controls your light switch.

Had Georgia been a NATO country ten years ago, there would have been the nuclear version of WW1 over Mikheil Saakashvili's crazy gambit of goung on a murder-tour of South Ossetia, thinking that he had the West backing him and Russia wouldn't stir.

poo poo, aging failing Otto Bismarck knew 120 years ago that staking international politics on Eastern Uropean feuds was a recipe for disaster. We are beyond redemption.

Liberals needs to start thinking of Putin as a smart gangster trying to re-integrate old turf to his domain, not a cackling world-conquering maniac. But I guess getting to finally rub shoulders with neocons just feels way too good.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Twinkie posted:

“If you’re disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself,” Obama implored. "And the Democrats will be there every step of the way, fighting you for every inch" he added.

Times like these where I appreciate that my father, old pseudo-chavista weirdo though he is, is and always has been completely right about the reality of the American political system in ways that seem to become ever more pronounced with every passing day.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I literally don't know anyone IRL who could run for office. I mean, they literally don't have the time. Unless you're a kid, retired, or rich, I don't see how you could do it.

The city council in my town is all retirees and I'm starting to figure out why.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

We're pretty much hosed.

My favorite line, because it perfectly sums up what's wrong with the Democratic Party and the performative pseudo-woke lanyards that enable them:

quote:

A DCCC official, asked about Craig’s time running the corporate PAC, said it was unfair to accuse a married lesbian raising a family of being part of the political establishment, and that her business success was an asset, not a liability.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, they literally don't have the time. Unless you're a kid, retired, or rich, I don't see how you could do it.

This is where 'feature, not a bug' becomes quite relevant.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Isn't it specifically a requirement of joining NATO that you resolve all territorial disputes, one way or another?

I, uh, don't think a country in the middle of a war and civil uprising qualifies.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

From what I've read Putin & co consider Dugin a goddamn crank, so you should maybe be a bit less credulous here.

Even cranks can have good ideas sometimes, and that argument holds less and less water as you see them do the things the book suggests.

Office Pig posted:

This is where 'feature, not a bug' becomes quite relevant.

Politics has always been for the wealthy and moderately-wealthy to gently caress around, argue philosophy, and rub shoulders. It's still true today, with the Republican v Democrat split being more about the role the state should play irrespective of impact.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

In order to establish whether a person is worthy of official backing, DCCC operatives will “rolodex” a candidate, according to a source familiar with the procedure. On the most basic level, it involves candidates being asked to pull out their smartphones, scroll through their contacts lists, and add up the amount of money their contacts could raise or contribute to their campaigns. If the candidates’ contacts aren’t good for at least $250,000, or in some cases much more, they fail the test, and party support goes elsewhere.

This is some horrifying poo poo to read. America so badly needs spending limits on campaigns.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fans posted:

This is some horrifying poo poo to read. America so badly needs spending limits on campaigns.

Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but Jesus.

So the DCCC is basically bringing as much money into the system on purpose in order to maximize their potential grift. If you don't make them money, you get the boot.

Burn that poo poo down.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but Jesus.

So the DCCC is basically bringing as much money into the system on purpose in order to maximize their potential grift. If you don't make them money, you get the boot.

Burn that poo poo down.

It's not even the worst thing in the article. The DCCC sound like a bunch of irredeemable gently caress ups.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Even cranks can have good ideas sometimes, and that argument holds less and less water as you see them do the things the book suggests.

That's just confirmation bias talking. Dugin's book is a mishmash of disjointed ideas with the only common threads being that Russia should take over various neighbouring areas and stir up poo poo in the west. And as is common with works of the kind you can always find something in the book that the Russian government has done simply because there's so much poo poo in it, some of which Putin & co would be inclined to do anyway, such as trying to curtail US influence in eastern Europe, and some that is crackpottery at its finest, such as trying to split up loving China.

So if Russia starts doing the absurd stuff that Dugin advocates you'll have a case, but until then you really don't.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/955899788813357057

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's just confirmation bias talking. Dugin's book is a mishmash of disjointed ideas with the only common threads being that Russia should take over various neighbouring areas and stir up poo poo in the west. And as is common with works of the kind you can always find something in the book that the Russian government has done simply because there's so much poo poo in it, some of which Putin & co would be inclined to do anyway, such as trying to curtail US influence in eastern Europe, and some that is crackpottery at its finest, such as trying to split up loving China.

So if Russia starts doing the absurd stuff that Dugin advocates you'll have a case, but until then you really don't.

The most "reasonable" parts of Dugunism are essentially a logical extension of Soviet foreign policy, and the insane stuff isn't happening for a reason. Russia's relationship with China for example is going in the opposite direction.

Also, Russia being "just a regional power" and "on the edge of collapse" is just really isn't true at this point. A regional power isn't going to currying favor in multiple regions by its very own definition. Russia obviously isn't on the same league as the US or China, that doesn't mean their don't have influence beyond their immediate neighbors. Thats just silly as poo poo.

Also it doesn't seem as Trump as rolled backed Russian sanctions to any serious extent and if anything was willing to send a limited number of Javelins to Ukraine.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 24, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rdevro/status/955979328361201664

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Aaaaaaahhhhh
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/955986037402058752

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

No no no, this is a GOOD thing you see! Duping GOP voters into reducing Republican seats in Congress! Silly conservatives, spending their money for the benefit of progressives!

It's totally not going to end with Dems having their very own Freedom Caucus!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

There are two people they have given to.

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/955986221653680128

Donations appear to be 2500 each.

Not big names but gently caress any Dem that takes Koch money .

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Schumer's case on Maddow for getting Graham-Durbin taken up by Ryan is apparently expecting Republicans to do the right thing and not the evil thing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Office Pig posted:

Schumer's case on Maddow for getting Graham-Durbin taken up by Ryan is apparently expecting Republicans to do the right thing and not the evil thing.

It is a pr push. What other means do you want them to use? If he wasn't up there you'd be bitching as well.

The whole point is to force Ryan to own the decision to kill daca , or to force him to pass it with Dem votes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It is a pr push. What other means do you want them to use? If he wasn't up there you'd be bitching as well.

The whole point is to force Ryan to own the decision to kill daca , or to force him to pass it with Dem votes.

Yes, Loam, non-answers and bad answers each have their own weight in terribleness. Not choosing to smash his dick on-air isn't going to make what he actually does any more commendable.

Paul Ryan will never do a single thing that enrages the conservative wing and thereby jeopardizes his status as speaker of the house - that matters to him much more than anything with respect to public opinion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Office Pig posted:

Yes, Loam, non-answers and bad answers each have their own weight in terribleness. Not choosing to smash his dick on-air isn't going to make what he actually does any more commendable.

Paul Ryan will never do a single thing that enrages the conservative wing and thereby jeopardizes his status as speaker of the house - that matters to him much more than anything with respect to public opinion.

Right, so why are you getting mad at the Democrats if Paul Ryan was never going to bring it to vote in the first place? That's pretty much out of their control. All they can do is force the issue, which is what they are trying to do.

So, other than tilting at windmills here, what exactly do you want to happen?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Schumer's case on Maddow for getting Graham-Durbin taken up by Ryan is apparently laying on the ground and pissing straight up into the air and into his own mouth

fyp

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Right, so why are you getting mad at the Democrats if Paul Ryan was never going to bring it to vote in the first place? That's pretty much out of their control. All they can do is force the issue, which is what they are trying to do.

So, other than tilting at windmills here, what exactly do you want to happen?

Not this

quote:

Senate Democrats say there’s no appetite in their caucus for forcing another government shutdown if Republicans refuse to agree to an immigration deal by a March 5 deadline.

Democratic senators who are mulling presidential bids in 2020 haven’t yet entirely backed away from shutdown threats, which could help them rev up support among the party base, but other Democrats have soured on it as a tactic.

Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.), who vowed last week to vote against any spending bill that didn’t help young immigrants facing deportation, on Tuesday waved away talk of another shutdown if the immigration talks promised by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) stall next month.

“We’re not talking in those terms. We’re talking in positive terms,” Durbin said. “Moving forward with the promised procedure from Sen. McConnell.”

Asked about the prospect of Democrats blocking a funding bill again to pressure Republicans to agree to an immigration deal, Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) said, “I wouldn’t anticipate that would be the case at all.”

A third Democratic senator said, “My instinct is a shutdown is off the table.”

“Shutdowns don’t work,” the lawmaker added.

Democrats didn’t come away entirely empty-handed from the three-day shutdown that furloughed hundreds of thousands of government workers.

They extracted a promise from McConnell to debate immigration legislation on a “level playing field” if leaders don’t reach a deal to protect “Dreamers” from deportation by Feb. 8.

Dreamers — certain immigrants who came to the country as minors — now face deportation because President Trump rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in September. The president gave Congress a March 5 deadline to replace the program.

Democrats already see troubling signs that Senate Republicans may insist on big concessions in return for allowing an immigration bill to pass next month.

They’re also worried about whether a Senate-passed bill has any chance of passing the House.

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) told reporters Monday that his chamber was not bound to approve a bipartisan Senate compromise.

And Democrats view Trump as a wild card.

quote:

“We shouldn’t be overeager to get a deal, especially if [Sen.] Tom Cotton [R-Ark.] plays games and insists on an annual decrease in legal immigration to offset the Dreamers,” said the Democratic senator who requested anonymity to discuss party tactics. “We shouldn’t be afraid to walk away and let Republicans own this.”

A Democratic aide said that sentiment is “current with the thinking in the caucus.”

Democrats, however, say they could still block spending bills over poison-pill riders, such as language defunding Planned Parenthood, rolling back Wall Street regulations or gutting environmental rules.

Senate Democrats with White House aspirations don’t want to rule out any tools to pressure Republicans to agree to an immigration deal, including another possible shutdown.

“I don’t want to say anything is out of bounds,” said Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), a potential 2020 contender.

I didn't even consider the possibility that they wouldn't even bother with a second shutdown at all. Not even bothering with the pretense.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Majorian posted:

My favorite line, because it perfectly sums up what's wrong with the Democratic Party and the performative pseudo-woke lanyards that enable them:

A candidate who ran a PAC that gave money to elect Republicans and repeal a tax put in place to fund the ACA and she's backed by a different PAC trying to remove soft money from politics, meanwhile her support from the DCCC comes from her ability to mostly self fund.

You have to hand it to the DCCC, they find the perfect candidates for ensuring the party's future.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

I didn't even consider the possibility that they wouldn't even bother with a second shutdown at all. Not even bothering with the pretense.

I don’t know why we even bother.

Slate ran a piece on the Manning business.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 24, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jonathancohn/status/955959722041073669

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Would that have even mattered? Wouldn’t they have just approved them later?

Or is this a political theater thing?

• Locked thread