Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Scipiotik posted:

Some people are upset that they didn't just make the ideas set, despite the fact it would probably cost $150.
oh that's the original? fuckin' lmao it mostly looks good and all but that amount of clear plastic pieces is way too much and broken up by split lines to be any good in practice, plus the price of course

it's fine at 70 for the set. anything more than 100 would be too much for a gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
In general I think the proportions on the official model are improved a lot too. Original bottle is too chunky and too much wasted space, plus it dwarfs the stand. Something a little bit bigger would have been cool but it's not a likely buy for me either way, so :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well in this case I was going for the size difference, People Are Sulky.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The original ship was better (and considering how much more room it has, of course it is better), but I think in every other way the released set is better.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For real. The original bottle is ugly as hell. I was pleasantly surprised at the real set, when the ideas winners were first announced I thought there was no way they could make it look good.

e: honestly even the original ship, while better, I don't think is especially better than the new one. The main detail I'd have liked to see carried over is the string over the masts; it adds a delicateness to the look of it which is a big part of real ships in bottles.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 23, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

uXs posted:

I'm only seeing one image, was it supposed to be an album?

Okay, yeah, Imgur really hosed it up and made the mobile link an amalgam of all the individual links. I've gone back and edited my post to link to each individual image as necessary. Let me know if you have any questions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scipiotik posted:

The original ship was better (and considering how much more room it has, of course it is better), but I think in every other way the released set is better.

Agreed. The original bottle and stand look really bad by comparison.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

More ship in a bottle drama fuel:

Can they retake this picture with the Ideas set bottle oriented vertically rather than horizontally? That's the way the box art has it. It's one thing to do a comparison shot to prove its small but another entirely to deliberately misrepresent the difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure, I'll use my personal hotline to whoever made the ideas set and ask them to fix it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Plastik posted:

Can they retake this picture with the Ideas set bottle oriented vertically rather than horizontally? That's the way the box art has it. It's one thing to do a comparison shot to prove its small but another entirely to deliberately misrepresent the difference.

What are you talking about?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

What are you talking about?

Glad you asked because I couldn't parse what he was trying to say.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I think he means up on edge - like the original model is being displayed - rather than on a side.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well that's now how the stand for the real set was designed.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
E: Disregard, I can't tell if I'm seeing the geometry right on the box art anymore.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 24, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

xzzy posted:

Looks like the ship in a bottle actually does do loose studs:

Replace the ship with a pony and the water-coloured pieces with yellow, white, and tan pieces half-way up.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The new theory of evolution:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I am desperately trying to figure out from the pictures if the Ship in a Bottle has trans-clear SNOT bricks to attach the rear to, because if it does, and they don't put those on Bricks and Pieces, I'm going to have to buy the set more than once just for those, because of how wildly useful they'll be. (Also for spaceship canopy pieces forever)

Also the people throwing toys out of the pram about the size difference are dumb. The official one is really good. Not pleased about the UK price point, but *shrug*

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A bunch of toys r us stores are going to be closing in the next month or so. Although between their existing markup and liquidation markups I can't imagine there will be many good deals on lego.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a list of which ones?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/01/24/see-if-your-toys-r-us-store-closure-list/1060761001/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw son of a bitch, the one in Nashua is closing, I thought that one could never die :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh good, neither the Elgin, IL or the Baton Rouge one.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Mine is closing. Which makes sense as they still have Chima on the shelves clearanced for less than 10% off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
None of the Austin ones, somewhat surprisingly. Which is good, I'm still bitter that they closed the central one like 10 years ago.

Petition to change thread title to Toys r Us closing updates

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looking at that list has me thinking that Lego needs a giant store in Bricktown, IL.

(which isn't actually an official town name, it's a name of a neighborhood)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

Looking at that list has me thinking that Lego needs a giant store in Bricktown, IL.

(which isn't actually an official town name, it's a name of a neighborhood)

I'll take it, would be nice and close to my house.

Edit, of course it's actually "The Brickyard" which is just like a huge strip mall type thing.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 24, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The two closest ones to me are on the list. Hm, I wonder if that means they'll have some good clearances. I wonder if they'll be less reticent than usual to applying their price match policy to Walmart's local clearance prices. This is a thing people apparently get them to do, and walk out with $40 Super Star Destroyers.

In retrospect, I don't know why we have so many Toys R Us-es. Counting these two, there are four within fifteen minutes of my house.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Habibi posted:

The two closest ones to me are on the list. Hm, I wonder if that means they'll have some good clearances. I wonder if they'll be less reticent than usual to applying their price match policy to Walmart's local clearance prices. This is a thing people apparently get them to do, and walk out with $40 Super Star Destroyers.

In retrospect, I don't know why we have so many Toys R Us-es. Counting these two, there are four within fifteen minutes of my house.

Usually they sell store inventory to a liquidator who then jacks up the price of everything and then discounts it's 50% back to around what it would cost before the liquidation. If you go in knowing the right prices you can find deals, but it most likely won't be great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw son of a bitch, the one in Nashua is closing, I thought that one could never die :(

The Manchester one isn't much farther.

Also, I wonder if the 60th anniversary ship will fit in the bottle....

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Captain Invictus posted:

From the address listed, it’s just the Babies R Us further up 3, not the Toys/Babies R Us just north of the mall.

parque bynch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haha, I didn't even know that second one existed.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I just saw the nearest TRU to me close, for reasons unrelated to the bankruptcy. For personal experience, at about 21 to 14 days left, all the construction sets will drop to 50% off. Then the last three days will be 70, 80, then 90% off. There will be nothing left except hot garbage on the last day.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Anora posted:

I just saw the nearest TRU to me close, for reasons unrelated to the bankruptcy. For personal experience, at about 21 to 14 days left, all the construction sets will drop to 50% off. Then the last three days will be 70, 80, then 90% off. There will be nothing left except hot garbage on the last day.

Even garbage Lego sets are a must-buy at 90% off. Unless they're Duplo, but even then, you can resell those for a profit.

Of course, I assume every last Lego set, polybag, and accessory is gone within an hour of the 70% off day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

any Lego will be gone by the time 30% off hits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, just been to one of the TRUs closing down here in the UK and all the Lego has already been removed. I guess it wasn’t meant for the sale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone know what the markup is on Lego?

I know it varies by vendor but for a major big box like Target or TRU.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh good, neither the Elgin, IL or the Baton Rouge one.
Man, I hate to be the one to tell you, but when you can't find what you're looking for at the Elgin one, there are closer alternatives than Baton Rouge.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Man, I hate to be the one to tell you, but when you can't find what you're looking for at the Elgin one, there are closer alternatives than Baton Rouge.

Now I learn this! Tsk!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone know what the markup is on Lego?

I know it varies by vendor but for a major big box like Target or TRU.

Afaik TRU is the only retailer that marks up the price of Lego and it's usually random, ranging from no mark up to 20% overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Usually it’s referred to as the TRU tax.