Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah their popularity says they're super addictive and I'm glad they're out there.

They just not my bag. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

I think the actual vehicle in the movie would have walked like the Strandbeest, but it was cut or never actually filmed. Lego must have made that from a concept art or something.

Has anyone even made a functional Strandbeest out of Lego?
I kept an eye out for it on my second viewing of The Last Jedi to see if it was in the background somewhere, the things dragging the big cannon at the end look vaguely like that. They have those strandbeest legs, but they're like two or three times as wide and don't seem to have any guns of their own. I'm guessing those dragger things are a remnant of a similar design of walker that, like you said, got cut, or Lego was basing it of a very early version of those draggers.

So I have a move coming up, has anyone ever found a good way to pack assembled sets? I think I'm just going put the sets in various sizes of Ziploc then throw them in boxes and hope for the best. In the past I've tried various forms of padding inside boxes and it's never seemed to make a difference, there's always some amount of breakage.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Duckula posted:

I’ve only got 3 modulars but they seem very addictive...

I saw the first couple of them and thought "$150 for a lego set, that's madness" and then the Grand Emporium came out and I was like welp I'm buying these now. So I have that, the Pet Shop, Town Hall, and Detective's Office. Although I lucked out and got the Town Hall as an Amazon lightning deal.

And I'm getting the diner as soon as the anniversary promo set hits.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Koramei posted:

You can tell a box is lego just by picking it up too. Nothing else rattles like that.

Actually I had a package arrive the other day and it had some medical stuff in there with small parts and my wife was pretty sure it was another Lego delivery (or rather, Lepin... I bought the "finishing store" over Xmas, as I had time off but she was working). But I try to only get one big one a quarter, and I'm going to have to start rotating the sets out on display now...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I told myself I was good today for not buying reduced Lego just because I could. I didn’t particularly want it, although I am a sucker for Creator sets, but it’s still hard to say no.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Fishing shop was so good! Does anyone have a link to the picture of the expanded version with the ocean next to it? I can’t seem to find it. I would definitely like to build something similar please and thanks :>

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The_Doctor posted:

Oooh, someone on Reddit extended out the dock on the Fishing Shop (and changed the colour of the wood, although they're not crazy about that), and I'm really liking it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like the ship in a bottle actually does do loose studs:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have to admit, the finished product looks much better than I thought it would. Still doesn’t interest me at all though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have to admit, the finished product looks much better than I thought it would. Still doesn’t interest me at all though.

i liked the idea but the ship inside doesn't grab much as much as the original concept

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fine fine, just swap the boat for whatever you want.

Ghostbusters ECTO-1 in the bottle

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is it the 28th yet? Want dat 60th anniversary freebie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i liked the idea but the ship inside doesn't grab much as much as the original concept

I like the idea of putting the Galactica in there, but it's tough to add any color to the model at that scale. It just ends up a lump of grey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For me it's the bottle that kills it. Not that it isn't designed well, the seams just ruin the effect for me. And conceptually I feel pretty meh about a lego ship in a bottle tbh. I can see the appeal though.

However it's cool it uses those Paradiso windows. I haven't seen those in 25 years. Still have some from the original set when my brother got it for Xmas and was really confused about getting a girl set, so I absorbed it into my own bucket.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 22, 2018

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I just really want that compass piece in the base. Will probably Bricklink it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PriorMarcus posted:

I just really want that compass piece in the base. Will probably Bricklink it.

Yeah, I pretty much just want the compass, the globes, and the bottle pieces. I'll just wait until it goes on sale.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I don't think anyone will be shocked to learn that none of the last 6 ideas sets that made it to review are going to be produced (Luke's diner from gilmore girls, wonders of peru, fighter jet (too bad), vader v. luke cloud city, space shuttle, and sat v launch tower).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scipiotik posted:

I don't think anyone will be shocked to learn that none of the last 6 ideas sets that made it to review are going to be produced (Luke's diner from gilmore girls, wonders of peru, fighter jet (too bad), vader v. luke cloud city, space shuttle, and sat v launch tower).

Here's the source

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The jet was the best of the bunch, but it's pretty generic as Lego has made a bunch of jets over the years. Like I think the creator series basically always has a jet of some form available.

Wonder if it was part count that killed it, as the wings are basically entirely made of plates.

It also looked pretty fragile, maybe lego figured it would take too much work to make it a "playable" set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That jet looked almost exactly like a creator set from a few years ago. Maybe more complicated. Maybe this will convince people not to submit ideas that will never work. I saw several posts around the internet assuming the shuttle was guaranteed.

What do people think is the idea that has already been locked in for next time? I'm guessing the pop up book maybe.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

I was reading the comments on that page and I thought one of them was really funny, the guy who says that Lego is stupid for not releasing the launch tower because "everybody who has Saturn V would buy the tower also". I think some people need a bit of a reality check here...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not to mention that the launch tower would probably be twice the price of the set it is an accessory to.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I'd agree that the pop-up book is the one that is already approved.

But I'll go out on a limb and say that they'll release all 3 of the fishing village guy's new ones. They just won't be ideas sets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Release them as UCS city sets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What do people think is the idea that has already been locked in for next time? I'm guessing the pop up book maybe.

I think the pop-up book is the most likely, but it won’t get done. I genuinely hope they do one of the other Fishing Store guy’s ones. They’re visually interesting, and great to build. Are there any numbers on how well the fishing store sold?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't buy it so by extrapolation no one has bought it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I haven't bought it yet but it's on my list to buy in, let's see... June.

Agree that the pop-up book seems the most likely, but I'm not sure it'll actually pass. And if it does, they should make it a 3-in-1 type deal where you can build a few different ones. I'd probably buy it and then just put it in between my other books. :v:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

As the video stated one has already been approved. Seems likely to me it's the book as I find it unlikely they approve only 1 of the 3 port town buildings. I also don't remember thinking any of the others had a chance, or they need to get rights to do them, which seems like it'd take more time to negotiate.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just popping in to say - made two modifications to my UCS Slave 1 to address the way the front assembly tended to droop/sag when manipulated or displayed on its stand over time, and the floppyness of the side panels. In retrospect, I'm even more boggled that these fixes weren't part of the model out of the box, given they took a total of...26 pieces?

The floppyness I'll give them a bit of leeway on, because the method I ended up using employed a 'latch' of a sort toward the back of each panel, which tucks in behind one of the inner base pieces, and it requires that you slide the back of the panel into that latching space first and then connect the hooks and ballcup in a fairly precise maneuver that may or may not fly in LDD or whatever.

The vertical flex on the front assembly is borderline unforgivable, IMO. I mean, you know, as far as UCS LEGO design goes. I used a slightly modified version of a fix I found on the LEGO forums, which used five parts per side to connect a straight 5-length technic beam between a beam within the base of the structure and one under the cockpit, and slightly modify the arrangement of a few pieces inside the each panel to accommodate the new beam. It's stupidly easy and effective. What kinda gets me is that the actual designer of the model weighed in on the Eurobrick forum thread about this fix, suggesting the fix may not be legal in-system because alignment of the beams may only have been made possible by that existing flex - but the holes align freaking perfectly when the unit is laying on its back - i.e., precisely in that position where there wouldn't be any flex. Bah.

Anyway. Much happier now. It looks awesome AND doesn't bend one way or the other when I take off/attach the windscreen, or have any panel movement when I whoosh it through turns and upside down maneuvers while trying to evade my six year old's Poe's X-Wing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Can you provide some more detailed instructions or pictures? I may want to do this myself.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So my roommate got this set for her birthday and we're in the process of building it.

I'm wondering, for whenever we get bored of London (and we will), could anyone direct me to a site that has made like, a crazy robot out of these same parts? (complete with instructions of course) I know there's Lego sites that have done stuff like this, though maybe not this specific, but I figured it was worth asking.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 23, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

uXs posted:

Can you provide some more detailed instructions or pictures? I may want to do this myself.

Sure thing.

For the vertical flex, I pretty much followed these instructions, but retained the tan 2x3 plate instead of his added 2x1 gray for the additional support connecting the two outer plates, like so. These show where the beam runs. You're going to need to do a bit of bending to wedge the long blue pins into place unless you're up for some disassembly, but it worked out just fine for me. If this connection were included in the original instructions, I imagine it's be a much smoother experience.

For the flappy sides, I started with this idea, but found it a bit on the fragile side, so I built up an axle connection using those 2x3 plates with the semicircle with a hole in it, which you can see here and again here from the other side. Actually, I realized in taking these that I had these pieces one stud off (should be one stud up, closer to the gun panel) which is why it was taking extra finagling to get the sides back on. Regardless of how you decide to attach the latch piece, when putting the sides back on, first slip them (the latches) in behind the framing red pieces - this is how it looks starting straight down into the hull from the opposite side, and this is how both look if you open up the rear hatch. how that end up sitting (I've fixed the position issue in these) - before clipping the rest of the side in as usual. I hope that made sense and didn't overcomplicate it, because it's actually incredibly simple.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 23, 2018

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Habibi posted:

Sure thing. See pics here - I'll reference them in the order Imgur shows them.

I'm only seeing one image, was it supposed to be an album?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

I'm wondering, for whenever we get bored of London Bridge

Tower Bridge. The towers give it away. :rolleyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

uXs posted:

LMAO Imgur is such garbage that I clicked on that link on my phone and got a skateboard video.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

uXs posted:

Yeah, and it works on my end. Sorry about that.. Guess that's what I get for using their mobile site. I'll be at my laptop later this morning and can fix the link then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

imgur on mobile is a tire fire because they make it such a pain in the rear end to get a simple url.

"you know what this user trying to share an image probably wants? some page completely different than the one they're looking at. so we'll put that in your clipboard instead"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More ship in a bottle drama fuel:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

More ship in a bottle drama fuel:

what about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Some people are upset that they didn't just make the ideas set, despite the fact it would probably cost $150.