Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

otoh an apartment that big really should include a parking garage or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

gentle creature will know you

he will trust, but verify

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

gentle creature will know you

he will trust, but verify

friend mark

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dillonliam/status/955882934828859392

Reducing housing construction costs would be of particular benefit for affordable housing, where every dollar saved translates into subsidy for additional units. Indeed, the key theme to emerge from the focus groups was that although city regulations and processes were implemented with “good intentions,” the layering of these requirements can undermine the goal of housing affordability and in some instances creates a situation of “death by a thousand cuts.” As one interview respondent put it, “At some point we have to decide whether we care more about housing people or the city’s pride at being the “best” at everything.”

also lol the city only funds stormwater via new development wtf

The second approach discussed was the need to better balance the benefits and costs of these regulations, and to track which properties were bearing the greatest costs of conservation. Participants suggested that the city conduct explicit cost-benefit analyses of new and existing
requirements that exceed state requirements. This would be particularly useful for the city’s new stormwater systems. As one affordable housing developer explained, “We’re taking on the costs of managing stormwater for the whole city on just a few new projects, even though the project itself doesn’t necessarily directly benefit from these infrastructure investments.” An idea would be to look at models from other cities, which levy stormwater fees on all residential properties (new and existing) to more broadly distribute the costs of these new systems.

ADINSX posted:

otoh an apartment that big really should include a parking garage or something.

nah

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

vaguely related but there's this one guy who keeps posting on nextdoor here advocating much denser development to help cut rents.

somehow along the way it came out that he also owns/runs eight full time Airbnb properties in the immediate area.

really lol to watch the fights and him insisting that his removal of potential rental stock is the only moral removal of potential rental stock.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was a newish condo building in soma and someone bought a 1br along with116 of the 300 parking spaces in the building

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

“We’re taking on the costs of managing stormwater for the whole city on just a few new projects, even though the project itself doesn’t necessarily directly benefit from these infrastructure investments.”

that sounds kind of like impact fees, which are illegal where im at.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shifty Pony posted:

vaguely related but there's this one guy who keeps posting on nextdoor here advocating much denser development to help cut rents.

somehow along the way it came out that he also owns/runs eight full time Airbnb properties in the immediate area.

really lol to watch the fights and him insisting that his removal of potential rental stock is the only moral removal of potential rental stock.

ive never heard of nextdoor not being used for evil/idiocy.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

President Beep posted:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

“Scott Wiener has taken what all the planning literature says is important — this is how you reduce pollution — and put it in this bill,” Lewis said.

In the Bay Area, SB 827 would affect neighborhoods close to BART, Caltrain and Muni stations. It would override certain local zoning rules in those areas to permit homes to be built nearby, but the local permitting and approval processes would not be affected.

did they fix the bit of california law where developers are by law allowed to only charge developer fees of $3.48 per square foot in compensation to school districts in exchange for each unit they build irrespective of higher local costs? no?

because I’m not sure that adding 200 1k square foot apartments adds only $700k of one-time costs for school infrastructure in a school district in a high-cost location like the bay area

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
i mean both halves of the developer situation in the bay area are just hosed

takes forever to get poo poo approved, and then in turn you get to reap the profits when schools are stuck serving tons of kids because the land costs too much to build a new school with the payments that are kept low to encourage people to build

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just a few months ago republicans wanted to tax all the 401ks

no, they wanted to replace all regular 401ks with roth 401ks. this is almost always a better deal for the taxpayer, and it is always worse for the government's balance sheet, because it's a much bigger tax benefit.

the reason republicans wished to do this is that it front-loads tax revenue. all the costs for roth 401ks are pushed into the future, and all the revenues are pushed into the present. (with a regular 401k, the tax cut is granted now, and the revenue comes later.)

the only reason to bother: it would have made their giant turd of a tax bill look less expensive in the 10 year projections required by the byrd rule

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

nextdoor is basically 'quiet ones of the third reich: the social network'

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i don't know what the appropriate number of spots per unit is for this project, but for most bay area projects that number is surely greater than 0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its almost as though we're at this point where we realize that people that constantly poo poo content into social networks in a vain quest for approval and belonging may have a more than 50/50 shot of being just a little bit fascist

but we'll never admit or act on that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

its almost as though we're at this point where we realize that people that constantly poo poo content into social networks in a vain quest for approval and belonging may have a more than 50/50 shot of being just a little bit fascist

question, then, is, "does yospos count as a social network"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

it also helps subdivision despots rally their shithead armies more efficiently than ever. gives the vocal minority a targeted digital bullhorn.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
also all the bits of land people want to sell to do development are in lovely locations in part because the public transit situation is so dire so traffic gets worse faster

does this bill cut the red tape with public transit development? i mean california should override sunnyvale’s dumb rejection of bus-only lanes on el camino real if they want to help all these developments they keep putting on it

but they aren’t

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, they wanted to replace all regular 401ks with roth 401ks. this is almost always a better deal for the taxpayer, and it is always worse for the government's balance sheet, because it's a much bigger tax benefit.

the reason republicans wished to do this is that it front-loads tax revenue. all the costs for roth 401ks are pushed into the future, and all the revenues are pushed into the present. (with a regular 401k, the tax cut is granted now, and the revenue comes later.)

the only reason to bother: it would have made their giant turd of a tax bill look less expensive in the 10 year projections required by the byrd rule

oh yeah don't get me wrong roth is clearly better since we, y'know, have historically low taxes right now

but still lol it freaked out so many people

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lancemantis posted:

wait is this real or is the NYT itself now propagating false memes?

also lol at thinking tying compensation to a singular metric is something good or clever
that appears to be the current retcon?

back around iron man 2 it was "obviously" larry ellison, complete with a giant fake japanese garden for the final fight

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

also all the bits of land people want to sell to do development are in lovely locations in part because the public transit situation is so dire so traffic gets worse faster

does this bill cut the red tape with public transit development? i mean california should override sunnyvale’s dumb rejection of bus-only lanes on el camino real if they want to help all these developments they keep putting on it

but they aren’t

bill's still in development but right now it doesn't touch demolition requirements which is kind of a big roadblock for a lotta infill projects

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
honestly we should probably have a proper two-track tramway with dedicated right of way replacing the 522 but lol drivers gotta drive so the best we’ll ever get is bus rapid transit and even that won’t happen because self-driving cars are coming in only a few years guys

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the beast of California housing :allears:

downzone to hell because racism/undesirables/etc, pass band aid property tax measures because of course values skyrocket

now you grow resentments to additional housing because property values and “character” and traffic and parking

it’s a political hellhole

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

look at the most voluminous/notorious yosposters and their tendency to be little nazis and you have your answer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

notorious yosposters

i see what you did there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's only one bsd-themed poster in yospos and his name is bookended with 'the' and 'boys'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

most yosposters are voluminous tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its more of an antisocial network imho

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jonny 290 posted:

nextdoor is basically 'quiet ones of the third reich: the social network'

my local one (as in the closest two or three neighborhoods) is turning into a zombie apocalypse flick as the neighborhood leads one by one lose the will to fight against the tide of mindless self promotion of various home businesses.

I counted up the other day and ~70% of the first 50 or so posts were ads of some type (only three of which nextdoor got paid for).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

the tide of mindless self promotion of various home businesses.

ugh.

i can envision this very well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/955900127184474112

With some limitations, SB 827 would eliminate restrictions on the number of houses that can be built within a half-mile of BART and within a quarter-mile of major bus routes, including Muni and AC Transit. It would also block cities from mandating parking requirements.
hey thats my mayor, and he also loving sucks rear end. the one before him, tom bates also loving sucked rear end too. tho the alternative was capitani who was also a capitalist stooge too so gently caress, oh well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shifty Pony posted:

my local one (as in the closest two or three neighborhoods) is turning into a zombie apocalypse flick as the neighborhood leads one by one lose the will to fight against the tide of mindless self promotion of various home businesses.

I counted up the other day and ~70% of the first 50 or so posts were ads of some type (only three of which nextdoor got paid for).

theyll drop 10 scentsy/mlm bullshit essential oil ads in a row and then pitch a loving _fit_ when a hispanic woman says "Hey, $10/hr cleaning service, hit me up" its so gross

especially since this block is by actual population like 92% hispanic

its just a bunch of loving neurotic whitepeople f5'ing nextdoor,gently caress it its so awful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jesus loving poo poo lowtax will you please expend the _tremendous_ effort needed to implement markdown alfuckingready

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry but markdown is a degenerate language

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry but markdown is a degenerate language

it’s cool ur mom speaks markdown lol!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
started this semester's arduino programming class yesterday

got to tell another half dozen students that html/css doesn't count as knowing a programming language :twisted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what’s your favorite programming language sagebrush

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
markdown is ludicrous bullshit that doesn't even fit with traditional usenet faux markup standards

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wb 290

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

fart simpson posted:

what’s your favorite programming language sagebrush

C++, i guess

• Locked thread