Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So is meth. Hitler was a huge meth head for years.

Nazis in general were huge meth heads, they thought it was a loving super drug because they confused "Side effects" for "Benefits". What's the difference between paranoid and hyper-alert really am I right?
Though considering everyone else was using cocaine, who can blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TCat posted:

Nazis in general were huge meth heads, they thought it was a loving super drug because they confused "Side effects" for "Benefits". What's the difference between paranoid and hyper-alert really am I right?
Though considering everyone else was using cocaine, who can blame them.

All sides of WW2 were on amphetamine stimulants.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Meth creates legends.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Not even surprised it's a finn.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I find interesting about this section is that Hitler is using the older Luger model (aka, what TNO called the 1946 pistol) despite the much more modernized one that B.J. wields being available. It's jarring that with all the advanced technology at his disposal, Hitler instead chooses to use a gun that is almost 20 years out of date. Maybe it's the only model he can reliably wield given his current physical state, I guess?

I wouldn't say it's unusual, this is just the Nazi version of the boss being a cranky old man and refusing to give up his 10-year-old laptop/smartphone because "it works just fine" and he's got it set up just the way he likes it, so why can't you make it just work with email and why do I have to enter a password anyway, my nephew doesn't have to type in a password when he uses his microsoft

There's some poor bastard somewhere who keeps getting angry telegrams from the brass asking why his munitions factory is always operating below efficiency standards and missing shipment deadlines, because they don't understand why he has to sporadically shut half the plant down and retool the production line to produce a handful of bullets and magazines for a weapon everyone stopped using twenty years ago.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If they wanted to make it really accurate they should have given him a Walther ppk

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Crazy Achmed posted:

I wouldn't say it's unusual, this is just the Nazi version of the boss being a cranky old man and refusing to give up his 10-year-old laptop/smartphone because "it works just fine" and he's got it set up just the way he likes it, so why can't you make it just work with email and why do I have to enter a password anyway, my nephew doesn't have to type in a password when he uses his microsoft

There's some poor bastard somewhere who keeps getting angry telegrams from the brass asking why his munitions factory is always operating below efficiency standards and missing shipment deadlines, because they don't understand why he has to sporadically shut half the plant down and retool the production line to produce a handful of bullets and magazines for a weapon everyone stopped using twenty years ago.

By the time your production scale is down to single digits, you'd think it would make more sense to just hire a gunsmith to individually hand-make the gun and bullets and all the other parts. Somebody's still stuck with some seriously annoying work on account of one crazy old man's vanity project, though.

Also, coelacanths! Coelacanths are a really cool fish! Kind of weird for Nazi social Darwinists to keep a "primitive" animal around, but if it means having a cool fish around, I won't question it too much. I just hope the nice coelacanths don't get hurt by BJ's rampage. And yes, calling a living animal "primitive" is bad science, but the Nazis were/are pretty bad scientists anyways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly somewhat significant in that they were only discovered in the 1930's, and were thought to be extinct prior to that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

lightrook posted:

Also, coelacanths! Coelacanths are a really cool fish! Kind of weird for Nazi social Darwinists to keep a "primitive" animal around, but if it means having a cool fish around, I won't question it too much. I just hope the nice coelacanths don't get hurt by BJ's rampage. And yes, calling a living animal "primitive" is bad science, but the Nazis were/are pretty bad scientists anyways.

Maybe they think they're great because they haven't had to evolve, that they're the Nordic-Aryan equivalent of the fish world.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

White Coke posted:

Maybe they think they're great because they haven't had to evolve, that they're the Nordic-Aryan equivalent of the fish world.

I'm pretty sure the fish version of nazi/aryan is Acanthonus armatus

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One thing I really like about the entire Hitler sequence is that, yes, he's obviously a sickly, paranoid, senile old man at this point--- entirely believable considering what we know about how hosed up his medical history was before ruling the world for 20 years--- but for just a brief, split second, when he's standing up in front of that screen and talking about why he made this movie, a tiny little flash of that rhetorical genius, that crowd-swaying pursuasiveness that brought a country and, in this timeline, the entire world to its knees shows itself. For just a second.

Then he wanders off to piss in the corner. It's such a great juxtaposition.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OK,I'm no native German speaker, but would Hitler really address the actors with the formal you pronoun 'Sie'? That seems too polite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I was taught it it's just how you address someone you don't know.

Failing that I would guess that anybody playing Actually Hitler in German is probably going to have a fair grasp of the character enough to pick the right pronouns.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, being called du by the Furher would likely be a massive honour as it would imply he knows you personally and gives something of a poo poo about you.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Samovar posted:

OK,I'm no native German speaker, but would Hitler really address the actors with the formal you pronoun 'Sie'? That seems too polite.

Aside from what the others said, wasn't Hitler known for being really polite ? It could be force of habit, even if he's senile at this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If hitler walked up th me and yelled NOW THEN MATE I'd be a bit put off, personally.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

If they wanted to make it really accurate they should have given him a Walther ppk

Boo ya. The PPK really is the coolest gat. Not only is it James Bond's gun, it's also the gun that killed Hitler.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If hitler walked up th me and yelled NOW THEN MATE I'd be a bit put off, personally.

Now I want a bogan as gently caress hitler dub.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BJ fixing/circumventing things by hitting them is never going to get old. I've made the case in both this thread and the one for the New Order that BJ is just way smarter than he's given credit for (actually, this game has a number of characters that don't treat him as a sentient block of meat that is good at killing Nazis, but that's a different topic), but when he needs to get out of a spot he has the magic of "hit it until something approximating what you wanted it to do happens," and it is never not entertaining.

The surface of Venus is a pretty fun level that has some really graphically strenuous areas. I like the design as it is a lot more complex than some of the areas we've seen thus far. It's pretty unique in that we see things like several levels of parallel walkways for the first time here, so you have to consider who is above, below and beside you at any time if you are sneaking around. You also have less cover to hide behind and have to rely on chest high railings and stairs to give you a chance to peak when outside. You are also under something of a time constraint that the rest of the game never forces on you in the outdoor areas, so not only are you contending with the Nazis, you also have to figure out where the next suit recharge station is and if it is safe to top off. In all it is pretty well done, but I really have to complain about the sudden hit my computer's performance takes in this area. There's something weird about TNC's engine that sometimes when you launch the game it spends half the time chugging like crazy. This happens if I'm recording or not, and is especially bad if I forget that you literally cannot try to alt tab from the game if you have two monitors going or you will never be able to get back in and will have to kill the program through task manager. It seems like the next time I launch after that there is always an issue.

Venus is the only place I've noticed this happens every single time I play, but there are varying levels of fuckedupedness. This recording was pretty solid, just a couple areas where it went bad. The recording I had to scrap that I mentioned in this video was so bad that I through my computer was going to melt down at times. It also seems to cause some sort of AI issue and I had enemies walking trying to inspect a shot I missed on them by turning away from the bullet hole and walking backwards at it and other enemies who attempted to spot BJ by turning sideways and pointing guns at their friends. It was great, but so janky and choppy I couldn't use it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Those spacesuits sure are something to be able to withstand 90 atmospheres of pressure and 900 degree temperatures. Why do Nazis always get (most of) the cool toys?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda weird that the game gives you so many awesome big guns and never seems to give you a scenario where it makes sense to use them. You got the supergun and used it, like, once on a set piece designed to make it look cool and after that it was pointless. :sad:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

GunnerJ posted:

Kinda weird that the game gives you so many awesome big guns and never seems to give you a scenario where it makes sense to use them. You got the supergun and used it, like, once on a set piece designed to make it look cool and after that it was pointless. :sad:

Still better than a game that gives you an awesome big gun, then saves the set piece designed to make it look cool for half an hour later, and also deliberately programs it so if you drop it for something more immediately useful beforehand, it just disappears entirely.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

Those spacesuits sure are something to be able to withstand 90 atmospheres of pressure and 900 degree temperatures. Why do Nazis always get (most of) the cool toys?

The Venus Aerostat is supposed to be floating so it isn't getting the full effect.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

White Coke posted:

The Venus Aerostat is supposed to be floating so it isn't getting the full effect.

Sure the Aerosat is, but most of this level looks to have taken place at or near the surface. Although with all the other crazy poo poo they've gotten up to I would totally believe the Nazis are in the process of terraforming the place to be less horribly lethal.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
BJ justs keeps bringing back nice pieces of technology for everyone.

Also, I'm going to guess everyone throws him a surprise party. Finally appreciating him for all he does.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

Sure the Aerosat is, but most of this level looks to have taken place at or near the surface. Although with all the other crazy poo poo they've gotten up to I would totally believe the Nazis are in the process of terraforming the place to be less horribly lethal.

Yeah that's the next step of their plan. Maybe their reverse engineered jewish super science is already making huge improvements to the atmosphere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Donkringel posted:

Also, I'm going to guess everyone throws him a surprise party. Finally appreciating him for all he does.

Yeah, if that's not a surprise party or "welcome home father of two" party, I'll be really drat disappointed in this game.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I just realized why BJ has to keep using coolant. He never closes his helmet.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Now this kind of environment where you have to supply yourself with a certain resource or die... I never found that fun in any type of game, unless the game is BASED around that. I think these kind of altered set-pieces are more fun with new manoeuvrabilities/abilities, like with Prey; they almost had the zero-G sections require oxygen, but thankfully got rid of that mechanic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow that globe thing was so dumb. It looks exactly like any other normal indestructible object anywhere.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Wow that globe thing was so dumb. It looks exactly like any other normal indestructible object anywhere.

...do you not shoot everything in sight, indestructible or not?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

How long did the venus return trip even take.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Poil posted:

They should have made it look like glass.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nalesh posted:

5 minutes

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

God drat nazi alcubierre drives.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Namek standard time?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nalesh posted:

I thought he was going to try and eat the seagull since he hadnt had food.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I was not expecting the theremin to be diegetic. Bravo, Wolfenstein.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Poil posted:

There IS a clue, though. If you look at the map when Lazyfire brings it up there's an objective marker in the middle of the room where the globe is. (It's still a bit weak of signposting but it isn't 100% uncommunicated.)

Nalesh posted:

Presuming Venus is at the closest point to Earth in its orbit, that's 24 million miles. The moon's about 240,000. The various Apollo missions took about three days - since that's about 1% of the distance to Venus, it's easy to extrapolate.

Then throw that all out the window because Nazi reverse-engineered Jewish magic technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That all changes when you have constant acceleration. Yes, the Apollo missions took 3 days but that was a ballistic orbit. They were fired like a bullet and coasted the rest of the way, with the occasional course correction.

If they had accelerated at 1G all the way (with a halfway turnaround) it would only have taken 3 hours.

d=(1/2)at2, so t=√(2d/a)

With a= 1 gravity of 9.98ms-2 and t = distance from Venus to Earth of 261,000,000km (max distance)

Therefore the journey would have lasted for t=7,232 seconds or 120 hours or just a hair over 5 days.

At 3G it goes down to 2.9 days.

(these are rough calculations as I didn't factor in turnaround or orbital shenanigans)

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread