Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plutonis posted:

No one fund this loving thing. Christ.

I don't think anyone here imagines this will be a good game, but this world is unjust if exploding kittens gets more money than this beauty.

also if you want a good game, gentes is coming to kickstarter tomorrow if you didn't have a copy from spiel last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Backed.

Gonna suck dick and play bad games. And I'm all out of bad games.

Da mothafuckin sharezone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have any actual criticism of the game or is it all confused anger about not getting jokes?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What is the game like?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kai Tave posted:

What is the game like?

https://twitter.com/fart/status/955600754848354304

You don't doubt @fart, do you?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't think anyone here imagines this will be a good game, but this world is unjust if exploding kittens gets more money than this beauty.

also if you want a good game, gentes is coming to kickstarter tomorrow if you didn't have a copy from spiel last year.

I'd take anything by Oatmeal and whatever lovely improv that is in CAH than tier 3 weird twitter humor that's made and endorsed by the same schlubby white beard+glasses people

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

I'd take anything by Oatmeal and whatever lovely improv that is in CAH than tier 3 weird twitter humor that's made and endorsed by the same schlubby white beard+glasses people

So why do you keep posting on SA

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol of all the the lovely kickstarters poasted here imagine harping on this one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

So why do you keep posting on SA

I scroll past your posts. Heyoo!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

wow, dasharez0ne is definitely tier 2 at the very least

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

I don't get it, what is your actual objection? Are you upset that dasharez0ne has more followers than you?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Unless you're looking for ALL CAPS NO SPELS INTERNETS AWKWARD as a game wrapper, I'm not sure the game filling is worth one's time. If the wrapper's enough for you, have a ball, but these games are traditionally low-hanging fruit for TG hobbyists because they're done by game design amateurs who ride on internet fame and the fact it's just merch to most folks.

A bad game is a bad game, even if I like some of the folks involved.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Unless you're looking for ALL CAPS NO SPELS INTERNETS AWKWARD as a game wrapper, I'm not sure the game filling is worth one's time. If the wrapper's enough for you, have a ball, but these games are traditionally low-hanging fruit for TG hobbyists because they're done by game design amateurs who ride on internet fame and the fact it's just merch to most folks.

A bad game is a bad game, even if I like some of the folks involved.

Exactly. I will never understand the need for people to buy poo poo product wrapped in fandom.

"This shirt has three sleeves and is horribly sewn."
"But it has SHAREZONE on it! You can't tell me I don't enjoy wearing this shirt."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Plutonis posted:

I, too, start to imagine the faces of my enemies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you think DASHAREZ0NE game isn’t going to be good you’re not cool enough to play anyway :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Exactly. I will never understand the need for people to buy poo poo product wrapped in fandom.

"This shirt has three sleeves and is horribly sewn."
"But it has SHAREZONE on it! You can't tell me I don't enjoy wearing this shirt."

Its a poo poo product?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve just backed Seize the Bean, a deck builder about running a coffee shop in Berlin. Having been there numerous times in the last year, and about to move there, the whole game is hilarious to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bombadilillo posted:

Its a poo poo product?

In fact, a rules-light card game with goofy poo poo on it seems to be exactly what people want. Repeatedly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The real shame is that the Devil's Level board game isn't a heavy euro. I would definitely buy a weird twitter game with Rosenberg or Lucerda-quality mechanics.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The dirtbag left vs the alt right worker placement game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In fact, a rules-light card game with goofy poo poo on it seems to be exactly what people want. Repeatedly.

"Take that!" games are perennially popular, and they're also perennially disposable.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
There's an outfit that's doing a U-Boot themed survival/management sim that had a successful kickstarter a year or two ago. They've worked with an outfit to make a board gamed based off of the same idea; a cooperative 1-4 player U-boat simulation that runs as a board game in real time. It looks like there is math involved since the game comes with a protractor and some kind of navigation disc. It also has a companion app for various mobile platforms that allegedly helps out with the bookkeeping. Looks pretty interesting, if dense. They have a bunch of mechanics and "let's play" type videos.

Seems pretty ambitious to be honest, but it looks like it's well planned and thought out at least.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/uboot-the-board-game

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 24, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/955933778920185856

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I've never heard of this sharing zone chap before. Scrolled his feed back to the middle of December and read a few dozen tweets and was most impressed.

Backing the game now, mostly to spite Plutonis.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone have any thoughts on Everdell? It looks really interesting. Kind of reminds me of Manhattan Project's market row/tableau builder/worker placement hybrid design. Except hopefully less... uh... grudge inducing. I love Manhattan Project, but that game is intense.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've never been much on "ironically bad" humor, personally, but I'm not going to get mad at people who do enjoy it. I mean, unless it's also "ironically racist" i.e. actually racist.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JackMann posted:

I've never been much on "ironically bad" humor, personally, but I'm not going to get mad at people who do enjoy it. I mean, unless it's also "ironically racist" i.e. actually racist.

It's not bad humor though. Not ironically or actually.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There’s some irony in the 180 of a decent chunk of people to defend the card game (without knowing its rule/gameplay) because they like the internet funny thing behind it. That’s, uh, the whole reason people buy a bunch of those thread consensus “bad” board games (e.g. Exploding Kittens, Cyanide and Happiness, other politically incorrect board games).

I think da share z0ne is funny

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

fr0id posted:

There’s some irony in the 180 of a decent chunk of people to defend the card game (without knowing its rule/gameplay) because they like the internet funny thing behind it. That’s, uh, the whole reason people buy a bunch of those thread consensus “bad” board games (e.g. Exploding Kittens, Cyanide and Happiness, other politically incorrect board games).

I think da share z0ne is funny

It's not immediately poo poo because some goons don't 'get it'. Don't know if it's a cheap cash in or good game yet. So haven't backed.

But lol at the dummies who don't know about da motha loving sharezone. It's the most politically correct thing there is.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 24, 2018

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oh, I didn't mean that it's bad humor. I mean stuff where the entire joke is that they're doing something that's annoying or unpleasant on purpose. Like Youtube videos that are "the Bee Movie, but the movie speeds up whenever they say bee," or deliberately lovely MS Paint art. Granted, I'm judging this entirely by the Kickstarter stuff I've seen, but it looks like someone just pretending to type like an eight-year-old. It's like Beavis and Butthead, or Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. I appreciate that the joke is well-done and that a lot of people enjoy it, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I still haven't seen anyone actually explain what the game is like yet, which is weird. Like, Exploding Kittens didn't cop flak here just because it was done by the Oatmeal guy but because the game was also genuinely insipid, a dumb take-that party game where the optimal strategy was quite literally to play as little as possible.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Eagle-Gryphon Games has a new kickstarter, a semi-cooperative game about the French Revolution. Surprisingly, I'm actually turned off the theme. Rescuing innocents during the Reign of Terror is cool, but I have no interest in helping Louis XVII, Dauphin of France. Odds are, even if you do succeed, it just results in an even shorter Bourbon restoration, since I doubt Louis XVII could have ever been as tolerant as Louis XVIII of France.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Eagle-Gryphon Games has a new kickstarter, a semi-cooperative game about the French Revolution. Surprisingly, I'm actually turned off the theme. Rescuing innocents during the Reign of Terror is cool, but I have no interest in helping Louis XVII, Dauphin of France. Odds are, even if you do succeed, it just results in an even shorter Bourbon restoration, since I doubt Louis XVII could have ever been as tolerant as Louis XVIII of France.

That Scarlet Pimpernel meeple outweighs literally any cons.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

rydiafan posted:

That Scarlet Pimpernel meeple outweighs literally any cons.

I'm hard pressed to disagree. Also it's one of my favorite musicals. :sigh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I'm hard pressed to disagree. Also it's one of my favorite musicals. :sigh:

A family favorite. We quote various versions of the film/book/musical at each other frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0cE8B5Dj0

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I still haven't seen anyone actually explain what the game is like yet, which is weird. Like, Exploding Kittens didn't cop flak here just because it was done by the Oatmeal guy but because the game was also genuinely insipid, a dumb take-that party game where the optimal strategy was quite literally to play as little as possible.

I don’t think you get the idea. No one actually cares about the game being super good. It’s DA SHARE Z0NE. You’re gonna play it and it’ll be fun and you’ll have a good time with your buds. You should play it while wearing sunglasses with flames on the frames and while being polite and respectful to those around you, because that’s a cool thing to do.

Just chill and relax and be cool. It’s really simple at the core.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you don't back it people will think you don't get the joke so you better hop to it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I am extremely conflicted about purchasing the devil's level so I turned to manipulating all my friends so that somebody buys it instead.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kai Tave posted:

EVERY TURN YOU PLAY DL, HL, GL CARDS FOR YOUR DEPRESION, HORNY LEVEL, AND GENIOUS LEVEL, AND THEN YOUR TOTAL LEVELS ARE THE NUMBERS FROM THE CARDS ALL ADDED UP

THIS IS DL = 6, HL = 3, GL = 4

THEN YOU USE EFFECT CARDS TO STEAL FROM WORK OR BLOW OTHER PEOPLES STUFF AND LEVELS UP. AND YOU CAN DUPSTER DIVE TO GO IN THEDUMP (DISCARD PILE) AND GET STUFF THAT OTHER PEOPLE THREW OUT

YOUR LEVELS HAVE TO BE 6/6/6 TO WIN "COOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I still haven't seen anyone actually explain what the game is like yet, which is weird.

It's a Take That! sort of game, like Mille Bornes, Nuclear War, Chez Geek, etc. They're easy to play!... but generally rely on just random luck of the draw over skill. Also because they have a crabs-in-a-bucket feel, they can drag out as players keep knocking each other down.

At that point, the details don't matter too much, but here goes: you draw cards. Some of those cards have a category and a number. You're trying to play cards out to get three piles to get their values each to six (because 666 devil skull wink). There are other cards that let you remove or add cards from your stacks, or interfere with other people's stacks. Further details aren't really available, but largely it depends on what the card mix is like. The more cards that help you score, the faster the game resolves. However, if there are too many interference cards, it can drag out indeterminably (like Munchkin).

Best-case scenario is that it's a game that flies by and has some jokes that are funny for a few playthroughs. Worst-case is that it can take hours to get your stacks together and you find yourself begging for the sweet release of somebody, anybody, to just win. Given you have to get three exact stacks and it's a first-time design, I'd lean towards expecting it to be overlong, but there isn't enough detail to be sure.

Granted not having enough detail is generally a red flag for any TG kickstarter, but once again, whether or not the game is actually fun is immaterial to many fans.