Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cage-free egghead posted:

The roms that shipped with a OnePlus phone copied clipboard data and sent it off somewhere.

Par for the course with China, it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PerrineClostermann posted:

That's not a proper comparison. One is changing a suite of software, the other is credit card theft.

Just because the scale of the problem is different doesn't make it an invalid comparison.

Either way there's costs to the end user.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Some OnePlus reviews or previews or hands-on or just random news stories at your everyday tech outlets will note the litany of incompetence, but plenty won't, just treating them like any other company -- "the buttons feel good, the fingerprint is in a weird place, it's pretty fast", and every time I read one of those I wonder if we're the weird ones for harping on them at every mention. Then like clockwork there's another horror story and I'm reminded no, it really is everyone else who is wrong.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I wonder if we're the weird ones for harping on them at every mention.

I feel like the negativity towards Oneplus is stronger here than anywhere else I have seen but even places like r/android have cooled off noticeably on OnePlus.

If one absolutely MUST have a 500 dollar flagship, it looks like Huawei's Honor subsidiary is the better option these days:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/23/honor-view10-review/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Par for the course with China, it seems

Lmao spoken like a true American, whose government was placing backdoors into consumer networking equipment.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao spoken like a true American, whose government was placing backdoors into consumer networking equipment.

the only good surveillance is my surveillance

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

I feel like the negativity towards Oneplus is stronger here than anywhere else I have seen but even places like r/android have cooled off noticeably on OnePlus.

If one absolutely MUST have a 500 dollar flagship, it looks like Huawei's Honor subsidiary is the better option these days:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/23/honor-view10-review/

Given the current government pressure, I don't give it long until there's a complete Huawei embargo.

I mean, the government told ATT to stop collaborating on the 5g spec with them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 23, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

We can't avoid our surveillance so that's immaterial but there's certainly no reason to add more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

We can't avoid our surveillance so that's immaterial but there's certainly no reason to add more.

Yeah fine but America boycotting or embargoing Huawei on the claim of "government surveillance" is the height of hypocrisy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah fine but America boycotting or embargoing Huawei on the claim of "government surveillance" is the height of hypocrisy.

I'm strongly against the type of surveillance we're talking about here, but...I don't think so?

I mean, are you claiming that because the US government surveils, it should just be OK with being surveilled back and just not do anything about it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm strongly against the type of surveillance we're talking about here, but...I don't think so?

I mean, are you claiming that because the US government surveils, it should just be OK with being surveilled back and just not do anything about it?

No, I didn't claim that anywhere? It's quite common on places like Reddit, SA, within the IT and infosec industry, etc, for American tech nerds to get all high and mighty about how bad the Chinese government is for spying on their own people, yet not holding their own government to the same criticism. This is off-topic though so I don't mind dropping it, and I apologize for my contribution to the derail.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, I didn't claim that anywhere? It's quite common on places like Reddit, SA, within the IT and infosec industry, etc, for American tech nerds to get all high and mighty about how bad the Chinese government is for spying on their own people, yet not holding their own government to the same criticism. This is off-topic though so I don't mind dropping it, and I apologize for my contribution to the derail.

Ok, but just realize you moved the goal posts from America embargoing Huawei being hypocritical to this tech nerds thing being hypocritical (which I agree with).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, but just realize you moved the goal posts from America embargoing Huawei being hypocritical to this tech nerds thing being hypocritical (which I agree with).

I misspoke in my post, I was speaking about Americans boycotting Huawei, not necessarily just the government but the people and yes tech/phone nerds. Sorry, wasn't being clear.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I misspoke in my post, I was speaking about Americans boycotting Huawei, not necessarily just the government but the people and yes tech/phone nerds. Sorry, wasn't being clear.

I don't know what that's like, I always say exactly what I mean the first time without error.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whataboutism isn't a valid rebuttal. American spying is bullshit too, and I want this poo poo out of my hardware.

Good luck with that, though. Unlike Chinese phones, there's not a lot of alternatives for CPUs and the like.

But yeah, fuckin' Americans. Those idiots voted for Trumpler.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

cage-free egghead posted:

The roms that shipped with a OnePlus phone copied clipboard data and sent it off somewhere.

That one was only in the beta you had to manually flash. It didn't ship with the phones. The other gaping security holes however...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, is there an even vaguely useful image editor app for android anymore since photoshop Touch died a death. Right now there are just bad Instagram clones as far as I can tell.
Literally all I want to do is take a couple of bits of screenshot and convince them into a single image the dimension of which I can specify.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Jesus christ, is there an even vaguely useful image editor app for android anymore since photoshop Touch died a death. Right now there are just bad Instagram clones as far as I can tell.
Literally all I want to do is take a couple of bits of screenshot and convince them into a single image the dimension of which I can specify.

Just search collage on the play store prolly? Snapseed is a good editor but I dunno that it'll do what you want

Hell actually try Adobe Photoshop Express:Photo Editor Collage Maker

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Google Home/Pixel 2 question... I'm a relatively new Home user.

Is there a reason I can cast to my home using the home app but if I click on the dedicated "cast to" button within the YouTube app I can't see my Home speaker?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MMD3 posted:

Google Home/Pixel 2 question... I'm a relatively new Home user.

Is there a reason I can cast to my home using the home app but if I click on the dedicated "cast to" button within the YouTube app I can't see my Home speaker?

Yes, cast apps have different modes for audio and video. Most (all?) primarily audio apps include a video mode that is just the audio with some display information. I'm not familiar with any primarily video apps that include an audio only mode.

The home app just sends it your device audio, so you sidestep this.

Edit: I'm not sure I'm the best at explaining things. The tl;dr is that app developers have to specifically implement audio only casting if they want to include it, and apparently YouTube doesn't want to include it.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 24, 2018

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sarnsunng'd!!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hotsauce posted:

Sarnsunng'd!!

Had to see if this was real....

it is

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Sarnsunng'd!!

No way that's real lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh what the loving gently caress

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Welcome to hell friend

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah he's usually wrong as hell about everything what the gently caress

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nothing should ever surprise you coming from that guy on Twitter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Libel lawsuit: Samsung v The United States Government?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So going back to my storage question momentarily (meant to ask this before, sorry), if I have say 10-12 GB free of my 32 native storage, is that a "safe" amount of free space? I always heard filling stuff up too much is potential sorrow in terms of straining the hardware, whether you're talking phones, PC's, whatever. I was always curious if there's any conventional wisdom on phones. I always heard ~15% for an HDD in a PC, but yeah.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I dont use the term loving gently caress. But what in the loving gently caress is most definitely right.

Samsung would never do anything like that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they just exploded.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So going back to my storage question momentarily (meant to ask this before, sorry), if I have say 10-12 GB free of my 32 native storage, is that a "safe" amount of free space? I always heard filling stuff up too much is potential sorrow in terms of straining the hardware, whether you're talking phones, PC's, whatever. I was always curious if there's any conventional wisdom on phones. I always heard ~15% for an HDD in a PC, but yeah.

Solid state storage definitely benefits from having free space but 33% is more than necessary. That said, more is always better than less.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, cast apps have different modes for audio and video. Most (all?) primarily audio apps include a video mode that is just the audio with some display information. I'm not familiar with any primarily video apps that include an audio only mode.

The home app just sends it your device audio, so you sidestep this.

Edit: I'm not sure I'm the best at explaining things. The tl;dr is that app developers have to specifically implement audio only casting if they want to include it, and apparently YouTube doesn't want to include it.

This makes sense,. But uhhh... Presumably the YouTube app is made by Google? Why wouldn't they want to make things easier for home users?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

MMD3 posted:

This makes sense,. But uhhh... Presumably the YouTube app is made by Google? Why wouldn't they want to make things easier for home users?

To make it more likely that you buy a Google Play Music subscription rather than make a playlist in youtube and cast it to a speaker.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

frameset posted:

To make it more likely that you buy a Google Play Music subscription rather than make a playlist in youtube and cast it to a speaker.

But my YouTube Red sub!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

minusX posted:

But my YouTube Red sub!

Doesn't one come free with the other?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Doesn't one come free with the other?

They do! Of course there's nothing stopping you from either buying one of the Assistant speakers with a screen that are forthcoming or casting to a television rather than a speaker either.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Just search collage on the play store prolly? Snapseed is a good editor but I dunno that it'll do what you want

Hell actually try Adobe Photoshop Express:Photo Editor Collage Maker
That's the amazing thing, I've tried a couple including photoshop express and they all just give you an unhelpful list of common image sizes and formats.. If your images don't fit into any of those you're stuffed.

P.S. I was drunk apologies for the nerdrage

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they just exploded.

The FBI archives all texts on their agent phones. There are two that are currently the subject of scrutiny; messages between those two weren't recorded for a few months in 2017:

quote:

The Department wants to bring to your attention that the FBI’s technical system for retaining text messages sent and received on FBI mobile devices failed to preserve text messages for Mr. Strzok and Ms. Page from December 14, 2016 to approximately to May 17, 2017. The FBI has informed [the Department of Justice] that many FBI-provided Samsung 5 mobile devices did not capture or store text messages due to misconfiguration issues related to rollouts, provisioning, and software upgrades that conflicted with the FBI’s collection capabilities. The result was that data that should have been automatically collected and retained for long-term storage and retrieval was not collected.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

32nd century historian turns to holocamera: "Described at the time as the information age, our historical sources from the 21st century are nonetheless incomplete, patchy and noisy due to misconfiguration issues related to rollouts, provisioning, and software upgrades."