Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oooh, more Worldkillers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Are all the worldkillers just going to be people? I was hoping for some crazy monsters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Livewire :rip: At least she died doing what she loved: being snarky and sassy.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Are all the worldkillers just going to be people? I was hoping for some crazy monsters.

They can't defeat the strongest monster of all: budget

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nooneofconsequence posted:

I couldn't help laughing out loud at the scene, knowing that they obviously were introducing another Worldkiller, but thinking that a fake out where, nope, some random civvy just got mowed down, end of scene, would be the funniest thing ever for the subversion of expectations alone.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Why was nobody in the car that hit Julia?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't remember the last time I was actually consistently enjoying the overall seasonal "big bad" story-arc on one of these shows, but this Reign plot has had me really invested for months now. Odette Manning is killing this role.

I feel like they didn't need to kill off Livewire though. The whole "You've inspired her to be good!" theme still could've come across without dumping another big ol' downer into Kara's life.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

I can't remember the last time I was actually consistently enjoying the overall seasonal "big bad" story-arc on one of these shows, but this Reign plot has had me really invested for months now. Odette Manning* is killing this role.

I feel like they didn't need to kill off Livewire though. The whole "You've inspired her to be good!" theme still could've come across without dumping another big ol' downer into Kara's life.

It was probably Flash S1 for me, maybe something in Arrow re: Malcolm. But yeah it's been real good so far and I'm actually excited to see what happens compared to the big bads currently on Flash and Arrow.

*Odette Annable and the only reason I'm correcting you is because everyone should watch Banshee. Shameless plug I know but she was such a goddamn badass on that show that I don't even care.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...I have no idea where I got "Manning" from, and googling Odette Manning just leads me to a trove of cutesy birthday card cartoons. :psyduck:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

...I have no idea where I got "Manning" from, and googling Odette Manning just leads me to a trove of cutesy birthday card cartoons. :psyduck:

I remember her from such shows as Banshee, House and the criminally cancelled Breaking In with our fav Christian Slater.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't just overwrite her with Reign like I thought they were going to, so we still get the horror aspect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't just overwrite her with Reign like I thought they were going to, so we still get the horror aspect.

This has got me hopeful that they're not just going to kill her off or banish her to another dimension when her villain arc is finished.

I really liked the Alex/Ruby plot in this episode. It showed that Alex really would be a drat good mom if given the chance to be one. Also am I the only person who now wants to see how ballistic Brainiac-5 would go if he was put in the same room with Cisco and/or Felicty after how he reacted to Winn all episode :allears:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My dream for this show is that Sam ends up becoming Superwoman, but I dunno if they'd do that. But I really like her, I agree with everyone else that I'm super invested in her and her story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brainy is a winner.

e: Reign goes down, Alex gets custody of Ruby. Ruby becomes Robin

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Is Supergirl not going to ask Psi what she saw in Reign’s mind?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

BrianWilly posted:

I can't remember the last time I was actually consistently enjoying the overall seasonal "big bad" story-arc on one of these shows, but this Reign plot has had me really invested for months now. Odette Manning is killing this role.

indeed.

seriously hoping she reforms eventually if the actor ever wants to come back.

she's probably one of the better reoccuring villains in the arrowverse and would be pitch perfect on legends of tomarrow.

her conversations with mick could works of art. :D

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Thunderfinger posted:

Similarly, what *was* the deal with Psi's psychic whammy on Imra? I thought they were going to go with some sort of body snatchers plot, but it didn't seem to go anywhere, unless it's going to resolve later.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I will say that the part about the...blue star?...poisoning anyone with a...Y-chromosome?...was super loving dumb. :v:

Like, is every single male prisoner of Fort Rozz just dead now?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

...Yes? They showed some dead male bodies, and all the love people they encountered were women.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that the part about the...blue star?...poisoning anyone with a...Y-chromosome?...was super loving dumb. :v:

I thought it was funny because back in the Silver Age, blue sun radiation gave everyone exposed to it Kryptonian-type powers. This later got retconned into making Kryptonians more powerful and granting them "Superman Vision," which temporarily gave powers to those zapped with it.

Comics, everybody!

(Seriously, why haven't they done a plot where one of the mundanes on the show gets Kryptonian powers? That was like stock plot #3 for the Superman comics back in the day.)

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah I need an episode where Alex gets Kara's powers for a day at this point. Maybe Winn as well for the comedy option but I want to see Alex kicking but with super strength.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Does she see stuff? I thought she just turned their minds against them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mortanis posted:

Yeah I need an episode where Alex gets Kara's powers for a day at this point. Maybe Winn as well for the comedy option but I want to see Alex kicking but with super strength.

Alex gets powers, and is significantly better at being a superhero than Kara. The rest of the season becomes a disillusioned Kara drinking her sense of inadequacy away.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's kinda hosed up that she used her badge to scare a child, right? Even if she was a bully that was just incredibly unprofessional.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Popelmon posted:

It's kinda hosed up that she used her badge to scare a child, right? Even if she was a bully that was just incredibly unprofessional.

Since when is the DEO anything resembling “professional”? They’re like STAR Labs, only with more people milling about in the background of shots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She used an FBI badge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

She used an FBI badge.

I know. That’s her DEO cover that she’s actually an FBI agent *wink wink*. It has been since the start of the show. Alex is just allowed to impersonate a federal agent whenever she wants, because aliens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah so no blow back on the DEO. It's all good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

Alex gets powers, and is significantly better at being a superhero than Kara. The rest of the season becomes a disillusioned Kara drinking her sense of inadequacy away.

Like the time Superman created a miniature doppelganger of himself (he shot it out of his hand) then became jealous and depressed when it was better at being a superhero than him?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Popelmon posted:

Yes but I don’t care it was hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like the time Superman created a miniature doppelganger of himself (he shot it out of his hand) then became jealous and depressed when it was better at being a superhero than him?

I’m honestly surprised this show has not indulged in more Superdickery. You’d think it would just be ripe for at this point in it’s run...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This has got me hopeful that they're not just going to kill her off or banish her to another dimension when her villain arc is finished.

I really liked the Alex/Ruby plot in this episode. It showed that Alex really would be a drat good mom if given the chance to be one. Also am I the only person who now wants to see how ballistic Brainiac-5 would go if he was put in the same room with Cisco and/or Felicty after how he reacted to Winn all episode :allears:

Now imagine Brainy in a room with Wells.

I'm also disappointed they killed off Livewire, but she needed a better look. She basically looked like a drowned corpse from the neck up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alex has always been supremely unethical about using her authority to protect people she cares about, so using her FBI badge to terrify a literal child is completely in character and loving hilarious.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I was sure Psi left some kind of secret code word in Irma's head that, when spoken, would turn her against Supergirl.

Then I was sure Livewire was going to get super-juiced-up from Rozz's futuristic electric power plant.

Then none of these things happened.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m honestly surprised this show has not indulged in more Superdickery. You’d think it would just be ripe for at this point in it’s run...

I don't think having a recurring plot where Lena (or someone) makes weekly attempts to discover Supergirl's true identity via 90s sitcom style harebrained schemes would be altogether unwelcome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised that nobody else has commented on the fact that Supergirl apparently threw Fort Rozz faster than light and into deep space at the end of season 1. Also kind of hosed up that they were okay with the fact that there were still prisoners on there.

nine-gear crow posted:

The (excellent) cartoon series The Brave and the Bold did an entire Superdickery episode.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
They killed livewire :(

She was the first thing about the CBS show that got me over the shaky start and going, "holy poo poo, this is a good show!" I mean, it helps that I really liked the character from the DCAU, but still. :rip: zappy sass lady

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ville Valo posted:

I was sure Psi left some kind of secret code word in Irma's head that, when spoken, would turn her against Supergirl.

I was really hoping Saturn Girl was going to have telepathy too and just go "bitch please" when Psi tried to whammy her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have many issues with the astrophysics, physics and math in this episode.

I'm building a working theory that writers don't do any research...

Also Supergirl merkocided all the men.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I have many issues with the astrophysics, physics and math in this episode.

I'm building a working theory that writers don't do any research...

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm going over the math and I think it checks out.

*scrawls "Speedforce" on a blackboard*